Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
DDX370
DPX500BT
FH-X700BT
AVH-X5500
AVH-X4500BT

Going to get a new double din aftermarket stereo, but I'm not quite sure which direction to go.

I've never bought a double din before, so I have a couple questions about it. Should I go the video route, full screen DVD option? or keep with a straight forward audio solution?

Obviously the video option will be a bit more expensive, but not too much. I know I'll be able to add a rear view camera in the future if I wish. But how good do these screens look? Will I be staring at glare and washed out screens? How many of you watch DVDs on the road? I know...I know...none of you do. But will my passengers be able to see the screen well enough? Is it a high quality?

I also like physical buttons more than touch screen. At least for the main controls. My car has steering wheel controls as well, which I would like to use.
Audio quality is very important to me, I probably won't be using Pandora. Still prefer CDs or high quality rips. Still I'd like to use bluetooth for phone calls.

The products I listed above are some of the ones I'm looking at. Kenwood and Pioneer. Both of these brands seem to be a great quality for the price.

At any rate, I'm confused since I am a bit new to this section of tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-06-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a Pioneer Avic x940 and was very impressed with the image quality. Used it for both rearview camera and DVD playback and both were top notch. The screens on the higher quality stuff is designed to be anti-glare and viewable in sunlight. Sadly, I no longer have that vehicle any longer and am looking for a similar solution for a new truck I am planning a system in.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-07-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvos View Post

Should I go the video route, full screen DVD option?
Yes
Quote:
But how good do these screens look? Will I be staring at glare and washed out screens?
The quality is good. There may be issues with sun glare depending on your mounting angle but most have adjustable screen angles to combat the sun.
Quote:
How many of you watch DVDs on the road? I know...I know...none of you do. But will my passengers be able to see the screen well enough?
They all come with a lockout which prevents viewing a dvd unless parked, but then you can also get bypass devices to get around this.
Quote:
My car has steering wheel controls as well, which I would like to use.
Most double dins come with steering wheel button abilities, but you have to buy an extra module for your specific type of vehicle. It's an extra 60 bucks or so.

I have a pioneer and love it.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page