I need Subwoofer advice! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-17-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just recently bought a new car and am doing a lot of little interior mods, I need a new subwoofer because I sold my old one with the old car. I know nothing about what brands are decent quality. I'm looking to spend less than 200 for the subs and the box, if necessary, I can build my own box, what would be a really good but cheap starter sub and aamp to match it? I joined this forum specificly for information from you guys, please help, I can give any more information needed. I found a cheap one online, but I have no idea if it is any good. It's called: BOSS CX124DVC 12" 3000W Car Subwoofers Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-20-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
What amp are you going to use?

How much space are you willing to give up for the enclosure?

What are your listening goals?

What music type do you predominately listen to?

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #3 of 4 Old 12-30-2013, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 46
If you are up to building your own boxes, that Boss sub may be something to check out. I see that the sub is $40 at sonicelectronix.com which is 60% off. OTOH, just doing a quick search on other forums for boss audio yielded several unfavorable reviews. Now you will always find someone who doesn't like a particular product no matter what the brand so take that for what it's worth. $40 is still pretty cheap even if the sub can do half of what the specs say. It could at least be a stepping stone until you can afford something more high end.

Now some brands that I have personally run that I like are Memphis Audio (currently running a pair of 12" Power Reference series which I was able to get locally for $110ea.), JL Audio (highly recommended but can get pricey quick), Phoenix Gold Xmax series 12" (Great tight bass and decent SPL's, but long since discontinued. Ebay may be your friend though) and Kicker Competition series (more of a starter sub but not bad, IMHO).

Brands that I have listened to and liked include the Alpine Type R's, Diamond Audio, Dynaudio (get pricey very quick), Focal (also a pricey sub), Rockford Fosgate (haven't been impressed with their newest offerings, but their older stuff was pretty good, there is a reason they used to be at the top of the subwoofer game.)

You should be able to find a sub from just about any one of these brands that will be within your budget especially if you build your own enclosure, but, in addition to the questions cubdenno asked above, you also have to decide what size sub and how many subs you want. Personally, I think a 12" sub is the best combination of compromises with the whole quantity vs. quality game and typically a 12" doesn't cost much more than a 10". within a given series.

A little more information will be needed to help you narrow down the search even more, but hopefully this gives you a little more information to help you make a decision.

"Harry feels guilt pangs, but Ronnie The Bear could give a @#$!."

post #4 of 4 Old 12-30-2013, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Here is a possible option for you: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_31862_Kicker-Solo-Baric-S15L32-11S15L32.html

The sub and box both for $185 with free shipping! I know the Kicker square subs have been well reviewed in the past but I don't have any personal experience with them. This seems like a pretty good price though and you save you the hassel of building a box yourself. I would seriously consider this.

"Harry feels guilt pangs, but Ronnie The Bear could give a @#$!."

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page