Louder Sub for 2000 BMW 740IL - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-05-2014, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey guys , I have a decent system in my BMW but the bass isn't as loud as i would like. And I was hoping you guys could give me some suggestions as to what I could do to upgrade ?

Currently I have:

Kenwood DNX6960 headunit

4x JL Audio C5-525

JL AUDIO® HO110R-W7

JL HD750/1

JL HD600/4

I had a JL 12w7 in a sealed box prior to the High Output box (high output box sounded better with my setup). I could not fit the 12" HO box in my trunk so settled on the 10" . I don't want to lose more cargo space in the trunk then the 10"HO box is already taking up. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-05-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
More power? Double the power for a ~3db gain

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #3 of 9 Old 01-06-2014, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

That Sub's RMS power range is 750 Max which is what my amp already puts out.

post #4 of 9 Old 01-07-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, then the problem is, you have a sub that is at the max of power handling capabilities and you don't want to give up any more space.

You could sell the HO enclosure, build a baffle board and run a couple of 15 or 18" subs "Infinite baffle" using your trunk for the enclosure.

The increased cone area alone should give you the extra output plus you even gain some of your trunk back. Keep running the same amplification.

XBL-Steelhouse1

post #5 of 9 Old 01-07-2014, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Do you have any links on how to do this? Sorry I had a shop do all the work since I didn't want to do any damage to my BMW. Not familiar with "Infinite baffle" but googled it and not sure what would be good for my trunk setup since its fairly large.

post #6 of 9 Old 01-09-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I did a simple google search for BMW Infinite baffle and viewed the images. There are a bunch out there. Even saw some on the BMW forums that are out there.

As for your trunk, it won't matter as it is large enough for what you would do/have done.

Some places will express that a single 10 or 12 will suffice. Even a couple of them. They won't. If that HO 10 enclosure on 750 watts isnt enough a couple of tens or 12's in what amounts to a large sealed design won't either. The trunk install of a couple of 15's or even better 18's allows you to get the effortless output of those subs.

I would talk to a shop that is local to you.

I sent an email to Stereo integrity regarding the usage of their HT 18 subs in your trunk. They are a fantastic sounding sub that looks great and has the excursion and output that with a pair of the DVC 4 ohm coiled subs should provide the output you are wanting.

XBL-Steelhouse1

post #7 of 9 Old 01-10-2014, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

OK, thanks for the Info. I'll talk with my local shop and see what they think. I'll also ask them about those speakers you mentioned the HT 18's .

post #8 of 9 Old 01-10-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I sent an email to them asking them some questions regarding the usuage in your application. I am hoping they take me seriously as I am sure they get a lot of those types of questions from kids.

Those 18s are a low distortion lower power 18 (600 watt) with 22mm of 1 way excursion an >40mm Xmech. So for halving the power in a bit larger than normal sealed (their sealed spec is ~4 cubic feet) let's say double the spec at 8 cubes per woof.

A pair on 750 watts should yield in car greater than 135 db capability. I would bet that 140 db should be possible. Cabin gain is your friend. And at 240 bucks a piece, a pair plus the install should be under a grand total. Sell off the JL enclosure and you will prolly be out half that.

Give data-bass.com a look

fantastic 3rd party subwoofer testing. Mostly for HT use. The data though, is easily extrapolated for usage in a vehicle.

XBL-Steelhouse1

post #9 of 9 Old 01-10-2014, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

I think part of my Issue is that BMW sealed their trunks very well. So all that energy has trouble reaching the cabin. I have already removed the pass-thru ski bag and just have to remember to put that middle rear arm rest down to open the trunk to the cabin.

I am open to sealing it back up if it would help get it louder with those 18"s tho . I'll have to see their dimensions to see how I would mount them. 135db is nice.....long as its clean. I'll have to take a reading inside the cab with a cheap meter to see what its at currently.

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page