Why is Aftermarket Audio and Media falling behind OEM? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-28-2014, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I used to by a vehicle, rip the crap stereo out and replace it with an aftermarket for immediate and noticeable sound quality improvements and features. 8 years ago I abandoned a stereo for a CAR PC so I had all local stored digital media, navigation, video, OBD you name it. Now, the auto industry has caught up finally and is offering some very nice features. In looking at After market HU's again from names like Pioneer, Apline and Kenwood, it seems to me when you compare them. OEM Car Makers have surpassed after market with available features. A day I never thought I'd see. We're all so used to our cell phones and the responsiveness of those devices and then you start using a Pioneer HU and it's clunky and slow. I honestly thought there would be a mainstream Android Head Unit by now. Not the "App Radio". I dont want my phone as my stereo, I want my stereo as my stereo.

I pulled the trigger on Pioneer Duouble Din DVD/Ipod BT Phone unit for my wife a few years back. It was slow, clunky and frequently losing settings. They promised firmware upgrades would fix the issues and to this day there has never been a firmware update released.

I'm curious to hear insight or opinion on why Ford and Chevy are producing my feature rich systems than Pioneer and Kenwood.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-30-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The competitiveness of the auto industry is probably why. When non-luxury cars have heated seats, heated steering wheels, auto-everything, leather seats, etc... automakers have to look elsewhere.

The manufacturer is also in a better position than the aftermarket to integrate their systems with other vehicle functions.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-09-2014, 07:52 PM

Liked: 13
Hu is only a small portion of the auto industry. A lot of other things have progressed.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-12-2014, 01:58 PM

Liked: 10
Newer cars have custom faces for their radios - there isn't much of a way to change the head unit without custom fabrication which is too expensive to be worth what little improvement there would be to the average user. People with older cars in general aren't spending high end dollars on radios so there isn't much money in the market to put into newer technology.

I am surprised that no auto manufacturer has essentially put an android tablet in with their own driver friendly skin in it. It might be due to laws against video capable screens that the driver can see etc.

G73JH-RBBX05 gaming laptop
Vivitek D853W 1280x800 3200lm projector
1,000 watt Panasonic 5.1 Home Theater

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page