Diagnostic Help and Recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-27-2014, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi Audio Experts. Need a bit of help. I'm a bit of a home audio guy on a budget but not quite as into car audio. Just don't have the time or budget for a big overhaul. 2002 Avalon - Factory JBL 5 Way system. Reconed the Sub a while back and it worked great. recently noticed I had a "pop" in the left rear speaker. Sounds great, then will occasionally pop. Wanted to upgrade the speakers anyway (figured this was not a speaker issue) so I just put in a decent set of Kickers using the factory enclosures. Of course, the pop is still there and getting worse. Not sure if the issue is caused by the Amp (under the passenger seat I think) or in the radio. I don't mind upgrading the radio to something more modern/better. Does anyone have a suggestion on what is causing the issue, how I can check it and what I should consider replacing? No way am I paying $500 to replace the factory Amp. I've been told I can replace the radio and bypass the amp but i would think it would sound weak as I understand a new radio alone would not be able to power the sub. I'm sure I'll have a question to any reply but I would really appreciate any help from you car audiophiles out there. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-07-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Popping is the result of under, or overpowering a driver until over excursion, or ultimately, failure, or an air leak in the enclosure. Replace the driver before the amp.

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
post #3 of 3 Old 06-12-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Sounds like something may be wrong orrather going wrong with the factory amp or possibly the head unit. IF I read between the lines and that this popping happens at all volume levels.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page