Can't get backup camera to work. AVH-X4500BT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-20-2014, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can't get backup camera to work. AVH-X4500BT

I bought a cheap $13 backup cam for my head unit. Wired everything up, EXCEPT for the reverse trigger wire because I have the camera polarity set to "battery," so from what I understand, I can turn it on regardless of whether the reverse wire is getting a signal.

The problem is, it worked sporadically for seconds at a time when I first got things hooked up correctly. It would turn off after just a few seconds then back on again. I didn't feel like troubleshooting, so I left it alone for a few hours and came back later. When I did, it no longer turned on at all. Naturally, I assume it's the cheap camera. So, I brought an old TV outside and hook the camera to it (using another video cable because I didn't feel like pulling the head unit out) and it works just fine. So, I assume, it has to be the cheap video cable. I buy another and hook it up and it still doesn't work when connected to the head unit.

So, could this have anything to do with the reverse signal wire not being hooked up? The only other problem would be the RCA jack in the head unit, but I can't imagine the jack going bad after running a camera for just a few minutes.

Again, the camera works just fine hooked into a TV and DID work for a few minutes when I hooked it up to the head unit. Would it even be worth the time of connecting the reverse trigger wire to troubleshoot or am I looking at replacing the head unit?

Thanks for any help someone can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-23-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 56
The reverse wire needs to be connected.

You can have it on all the time with the switch in the options menu.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page