Pioneer avh-4000/4100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 06-12-2015, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Pioneer avh-4000/4100

A bit difficult finding very many reviews or opinions on either the pioneer nex4000/4100 or app radio 4.

I just went to car audio shop. Looked at the nex4100, due to bigger screen mostly. It was retail price here in Canada.

When I asked how much to install it...the total price doubled including taxes and part. I need the steering wheel controls etc.

I was shocked and disappointed. Does it really cost almost double for parts and labor.

I need the 7" screen and car play in any unit I get .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 06-12-2015, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I have been running into the same problem. The reason is that many of the cars systems today run through the factory radio. So it's no longer a simple matter. You need costly adapters so that all those features will still work.
post #3 of 36 Old 06-12-2015, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Okie thanks. Guess I'll stick to stock radio . Was hoping I could change for a $1000 guess not.

post #4 of 36 Old 06-12-2015, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Okie thanks. Guess I'll stick to stock radio . Was hoping I could change for a $1000 guess not.
$1000 is totally doable depending on the radio you choose. BestBuy is even offering free installation plus hardware on certain decks.
post #5 of 36 Old 06-12-2015, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaked05 View Post
$1000 is totally doable depending on the radio you choose. BestBuy is even offering free installation plus hardware on certain decks.
Pioneer avh-4000 or 4100nex
post #6 of 36 Old 06-13-2015, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I installed mine myself. Total cost for wiring harness mount and micro bypass was about $40. Backup camera was $50, but I paid my regular mechanic $45 to run the wire from the hitch into my truck's cab. The 2 local car stereo places wanted more than 3 times that.
post #7 of 36 Old 06-13-2015, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Good deal.
post #8 of 36 Old 06-13-2015, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm thought I read somewhere crutch field will give me the parts lost I need once I put in my car info etc?

Gonna see how accurate that is.
post #9 of 36 Old 06-13-2015, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

IIRC Crutchfield gives you the basic installation stuff for free, but not the steering wheel adaptor.
post #10 of 36 Old 06-13-2015, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm found this deck much cheaper on Amazon.

What does this part do? Excuse my non car tech knowledge.

MicroBypass Parking Brake Switch Fully Automatic Video in Motion Interface for Pioneer Model AVH-4100NEX

Thank u
post #11 of 36 Old 06-14-2015, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

The bypass does two things: prevents you from having to run a wire to the parking brake, and allows you to do certain things on the head unit that would normally require you to have the parking brake applied.
post #12 of 36 Old 06-14-2015, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Basically a hack? It's not suppose to be installed?

Thanks

Just trying to collect of parts I need. Then I'll just pay someone to install. These custom stores mark up parts like its no tomorrow.
post #13 of 36 Old 06-14-2015, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

It's a bypass. it's totally up to you if you want to install it or not, but I recommend it.
post #14 of 36 Old 06-14-2015, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks
post #15 of 36 Old 06-16-2015, 12:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I don't know about that particular unit but in the "old days" one would simply run the wire to ground instead of the parking brake.
post #16 of 36 Old 06-17-2015, 03:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post
I don't know about that particular unit but in the "old days" one would simply run the wire to ground instead of the parking brake.
The 4100 is smarter than that.
post #17 of 36 Old 06-22-2015, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

micro bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.bradford View Post
I installed mine myself. Total cost for wiring harness mount and micro bypass was about $40. Backup camera was $50, but I paid my regular mechanic $45 to run the wire from the hitch into my truck's cab. The 2 local car stereo places wanted more than 3 times that.

I was quite surprised when I asked the installer bout the "microbypass" cable. He said thats a must. I thought it was a no no. But apparently alot of the functionality of the deck, in my case the 4000nex rely on the video source.

I was happy to hear they will or do install this.
post #18 of 36 Old 07-09-2015, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the 4100 w the micro by pass as well, installer did not say it was necessary, but I agreed it would be worth it

btw it is a great headunit
I had an older pioneer unit in my last car & this so much better
carplay feature is great

you will need an hdmi connection if you want to use the app radio feature
you also need the usb connection for carplay

tip w the sd card slot
I highly reccomend using this to store & play FLACs
typically it will only read SD cards that are 32GB max, larger cards use a different codec w/ faster read/write speeds & are not compatible

if you reformat the SD card using NTFS (instead of FAT) the headunit will read the card

I have 256GB card in there w/ a bunch of HDFLACs & FLACs
post #19 of 36 Old 07-09-2015, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, my nex4000 seems fine with a 128gb card. No issues so far.

What does the app radio function do?

car play seems to work fine so far.

overall quite happy.
post #20 of 36 Old 07-12-2015, 10:09 AM

hmm I could not get my 256gb to be recognized until I reformatted in NTFS

I did some research prior to reformatting, & found others w/ the same issue, leading to their tip as a workaround
I found that Pioneer only officially supports SDHC (which has a max storage of 32GB) SDXC is for cards larger than that

App Radio lets you use a list of supported apps directly on the head unit, it is similar to carplay, but has more apps to use, personally I did not get the HDMI adapter (so I do not use app radio mode) as I did not want to have to drill a hole somewhere in my dash or center arm rest to run it
post #21 of 36 Old 07-12-2015, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

oh so appradio funcationality needs an HDMI?

I am gonna read the very long manual this week and see.
post #22 of 36 Old 07-13-2015, 03:15 PM

I am basing this off of what my installer told me

also the fact that I do not have the app radio feature as an option to choose from
post #23 of 36 Old 07-13-2015, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

ok thanks. I tried reading up on app radio versus car play. Its quite confusing to me. Oh well I guess I will just stick with car play. *shrug*

hopefully I am not missing out on stuff
post #24 of 36 Old 07-18-2015, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Question antenna loose?

Hello , I think I lost my satellite reception for SiriusXm unit shows "no signal" I will check again next time I am in my car.

But I guess its possible the antenna connection came apart or is loose? I used my existing car antenna/XM.

Where is this located usually? I had the head unit etc installed by someone. I drive a 2010 Nissan Versa Hatch.

It has been working since I had the unit installed, about a month ago.
post #25 of 36 Old 08-05-2015, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Hello , I think I lost my satellite reception for SiriusXm unit shows "no signal" I will check again next time I am in my car.

But I guess its possible the antenna connection came apart or is loose? I used my existing car antenna/XM.

Where is this located usually? I had the head unit etc installed by someone. I drive a 2010 Nissan Versa Hatch.

It has been working since I had the unit installed, about a month ago.
I have the 4100NEX and have similar issues with the antenna. My connections are fine but I get a "check antenna" message. I think there is an issue with the sxv300v1 tuner (Is that what you have?) I've read reviews and other Pioneer specific forums and that appears to be an issue. I think it's on the tuner side, not the Pioneer. Mine seems to go out when there is high heat and humidity. I hope I don't have to take it out and install a new one. It works 75% of the time.
post #26 of 36 Old 08-05-2015, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrippe View Post
I have the 4100NEX and have similar issues with the antenna. My connections are fine but I get a "check antenna" message. I think there is an issue with the sxv300v1 tuner (Is that what you have?) I've read reviews and other Pioneer specific forums and that appears to be an issue. I think it's on the tuner side, not the Pioneer. Mine seems to go out when there is high heat and humidity. I hope I don't have to take it out and install a new one. It works 75% of the time.
Hello, I only had an issue once. And yes I have the same add on as you. And I think it's because their sats were down. Reception came back after 15 minutes or so. I was happy. I though there was something wrong. But other than that just your typical shaky audio quality lol and some drop outs. Mine expires soon. Have to see what I can do or decide to do. It really is nice to have the sat option though despite its misgivings.

Yes I hope you don't need to do anymore messing around such a pain I can see. And it's been extremely hot summer here in Vancouver. Hasn't effected the pioneer I don't think.

Good luck
post #27 of 36 Old 03-24-2016, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmeddle View Post
I have the 4100 w the micro by pass as well, installer did not say it was necessary, but I agreed it would be worth it

btw it is a great headunit
I had an older pioneer unit in my last car & this so much better
carplay feature is great

you will need an hdmi connection if you want to use the app radio feature
you also need the usb connection for carplay

tip w the sd card slot
I highly reccomend using this to store & play FLACs
typically it will only read SD cards that are 32GB max, larger cards use a different codec w/ faster read/write speeds & are not compatible

if you reformat the SD card using NTFS (instead of FAT) the headunit will read the card

I have 256GB card in there w/ a bunch of HDFLACs & FLACs
Question on your experience with the SD card. I much prefer that to filling up the phone so bought a 256gb and formatted to NTFS. It works. Problem is that the playlists don't show up either in the file/folder area or in the artist/album/songs/genre screen. Created the playlists and synced them and the songs using JRiver Media Center. Has anyone been able to use playlists with the SD card? The 4100 manual does say that m3u playlists don't work, but I can't tell if they mean that no playlists work on SD cards or just that m3u don't but others (not mentioned) do? This would seem to be critical if you have 100s or 1000s of songs on a card. Also, MIXTRAX... it's extremely slow to go from the intro MIXTRAX screen to the music and in a few hours of driving has analyzed a whopping 1 song. Any tricks or ideas?
post #28 of 36 Old 04-01-2016, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceninejim View Post
Question on your experience with the SD card. I much prefer that to filling up the phone so bought a 256gb and formatted to NTFS. It works. Problem is that the playlists don't show up either in the file/folder area or in the artist/album/songs/genre screen. Created the playlists and synced them and the songs using JRiver Media Center. Has anyone been able to use playlists with the SD card? The 4100 manual does say that m3u playlists don't work, but I can't tell if they mean that no playlists work on SD cards or just that m3u don't but others (not mentioned) do? This would seem to be critical if you have 100s or 1000s of songs on a card. Also, MIXTRAX... it's extremely slow to go from the intro MIXTRAX screen to the music and in a few hours of driving has analyzed a whopping 1 song. Any tricks or ideas?
Hi iceninejim,

Did you ever get a resolution to playlist on the SD card? I did the same as you and formatted a 256gb card to NTFS. I've got 1000's of songs that it just plays back in alphabetical order.

Thanx.

JD

At least all the voices in my head are singing...
...unfortunately just not in tune...
Sony 65A1E | Marantz AV8802A Pre/Pro (7.2.4) [Getting DV update- YEA!] | (3) Beloved Adcom Amps | OPPO 203 | ROKU Ultra | D*TV HR-54 w/c61k | X-Box One S | Steiger-Dynamics LEET HTPC | Metra DPL certified passive cable; Metra 18 Gbps TARGA 1 Module Ultra HD active Cable | Epson UB5040 | Artcoustic Speakers] | (2) Pio Kuro |
post #29 of 36 Old 04-01-2016, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD57 View Post
Hi iceninejim,

Did you ever get a resolution to playlist on the SD card? I did the same as you and formatted a 256gb card to NTFS. I've got 1000's of songs that it just plays back in alphabetical order.

Thanx.

JD
JD, I haven't found an ideal solution at all. However, using the SD card you should be able to at least choose an artist, album, genre, or song, (or all songs) and put it on shuffle so it's not played in alpha. The solution I'm trying right now is using MIXTRAX. I downloaded the MIXTRAX software onto my laptop and imported all my music into it. The software allows you to create playlists (or import them into the software from a file) and then sync them to the SD card. You can then place the card back in the 4100 and the playlists DO work (even though they're m3u), but only in MIXTRAX. They still don't show up in the basic SD card functionality. This is still unfortunate because the MIXTRAX software in the 4100 is extremely slow. But, by having the PC MIXTRAX software analyze the songs, it at least goes faster than having the 4100 do it. It still takes 15-45 seconds after I select a playlist to play in MIXTRAX on the 4100 before it starts playing, depending on the size of the playlist. This is very frustrating if you prefer to change the playlists you listen to. So... I've also synced a ton of music to my android phone and can then use playlists with android auto. Using the smartphone's functionality is much faster than the SD card. It seems like the speed of the SD card related software was a much lower priority than the other aspects of the 4100. Sorry, no great news, but some different options anyway.

Jim
post #30 of 36 Old 04-02-2016, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceninejim View Post
JD, I haven't found an ideal solution at all. However, using the SD card you should be able to at least choose an artist, album, genre, or song, (or all songs) and put it on shuffle so it's not played in alpha. The solution I'm trying right now is using MIXTRAX. I downloaded the MIXTRAX software onto my laptop and imported all my music into it. The software allows you to create playlists (or import them into the software from a file) and then sync them to the SD card. You can then place the card back in the 4100 and the playlists DO work (even though they're m3u), but only in MIXTRAX. They still don't show up in the basic SD card functionality. This is still unfortunate because the MIXTRAX software in the 4100 is extremely slow. But, by having the PC MIXTRAX software analyze the songs, it at least goes faster than having the 4100 do it. It still takes 15-45 seconds after I select a playlist to play in MIXTRAX on the 4100 before it starts playing, depending on the size of the playlist. This is very frustrating if you prefer to change the playlists you listen to. So... I've also synced a ton of music to my android phone and can then use playlists with android auto. Using the smartphone's functionality is much faster than the SD card. It seems like the speed of the SD card related software was a much lower priority than the other aspects of the 4100. Sorry, no great news, but some different options anyway.

Jim
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry-I should have specified default alpha or shuffle/random option. I was sure hoping for better news - even when I pick a specific album, artist, etc. it only gives me a "Play All" option and then plays the songs alpha - makes me crazy. Only way I've found to hear an album with songs in order is iTunes at a lower rez. I've been using strictly flac files-which is why I bought this head unit. I didn't realize it was so inept in handling these files. I just recently advanced to the larger SDXC SD, which just exacerbated the problem.

I'm not familiar with MIXTRAX, but I did a little quick research and it seems to be MP3 orientated. So, am I understanding you that you've given up on the SD card altogether and using your phone to stream instead? Or are you using your phone to actually control your card?

I'm fairly new to this, as I'm weaning myself off physical media, and also just recently started using Jriver. I've read briefly about peeps using JRemote in their cars and somehow streaming hi-rez. Have you tried it with this HU?

Thanks again.

Jeff

At least all the voices in my head are singing...
...unfortunately just not in tune...
Sony 65A1E | Marantz AV8802A Pre/Pro (7.2.4) [Getting DV update- YEA!] | (3) Beloved Adcom Amps | OPPO 203 | ROKU Ultra | D*TV HR-54 w/c61k | X-Box One S | Steiger-Dynamics LEET HTPC | Metra DPL certified passive cable; Metra 18 Gbps TARGA 1 Module Ultra HD active Cable | Epson UB5040 | Artcoustic Speakers] | (2) Pio Kuro |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page