Car Speaker: 4 speakers acting as 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-13-2017, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Car Speaker: 4 speakers acting as 2

So I'm really hoping some smarter people than me can figure out the issue I am having with my car's speakers and hopefully the issue is a quick fix that I can perform without having to take apart much. I have a medical condition that makes doing a lot of physical stuff difficult, and with this heat, it makes it even more difficult. Anyway, the wiring in the trunk is super easy to get to so hopefully it can be fixed there. The issue took me a while to notice. I had a shop custom install a full on stereo in my Mercury Marauder. It was a full custom job as this car doesn't have a true 2 din stereo, so they did a lot of work on it. They also did some custom work on my door panels with tweeter placement. All in all I'm happy. But I think they did something funky with the wiring. And when I say "think" I mean I know... When I try to balance sound left to right... nothing happens. The sound remains the same. When I fade front to back, it works as normal, but left to right, nothing. So if I go all the way to front left, it sounds as if I only faded to the front. If I go all the way to back right, it sounds as if I faded to the back. There is no balance between left and right. It is like the wired both the front speakers as one speaker and both the back speakers as one. So the four channel set up is wired as a two channel. Now, here's the deal. I have two Rockford Fosgate R400 D amps and one Pioneer D9601 for my sub. The Fosgates are four channel amps that are being bridged as 2 channel to run the fronts and rears. So I really think they did something funky with the wiring that lead to this issue. I am attaching photos of the amp wiring. I wasn't able to get pics of the back of the head unit, sorry. I probably should have though. Can anyone tell if they think they did something wrong from the photos? The shop that did the work is 3 hours away. My parents used to live in that town and I had them do the work while there for a weekend. Well, they moved away and I no longer go there and can't really justify the trip just to have them adjust the wiring. The stereo sounds great, don't get me wrong. But I can't help but to think it would sound better if it were able to play the way it should as a four channel set up. Is there a reason why they would have done this? Is this common practice with people? I wrote the shop and all they said is bring it in and we will look at it... pretty lame to an otherwise good experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170713_182259_1499987525713.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	2234649   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170713_182252_1499987549634.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	2234657   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170713_182240_1499987573035.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	2234665   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170713_182248_1499987606635.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	2234673  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-18-2017, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I would play with the RCA inputs first.
Unplug RCA cables. Make sure they won't touch

Set your balance and fader to center.
With one RCA cable and music playing, verify what speaker is tied to each RCA input, amp and amp channel. Make sure you document on paper your findings.

Once you understand how the stereo company wired the speakers to the amplifiers, Now you check the RCA outputs from the radio.

Adjust the balance and fader to front driver side.
Looking at your notes from before, you should know which amp and channel drives that speaker. so using the RCA plugs, test each one until the speaker plays.

Repeat for each speaker adjusting the fader and balance controls to isolate each speaker position.

In the end, unless something was simply done incorrectly, or there is an issue with the factory stereo, your fader and balance should now work.

Good luck!

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #3 of 3 Old 07-19-2017, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post
I would play with the RCA inputs first.
Unplug RCA cables. Make sure they won't touch

Set your balance and fader to center.
With one RCA cable and music playing, verify what speaker is tied to each RCA input, amp and amp channel. Make sure you document on paper your findings.

Once you understand how the stereo company wired the speakers to the amplifiers, Now you check the RCA outputs from the radio.

Adjust the balance and fader to front driver side.
Looking at your notes from before, you should know which amp and channel drives that speaker. so using the RCA plugs, test each one until the speaker plays.

Repeat for each speaker adjusting the fader and balance controls to isolate each speaker position.

In the end, unless something was simply done incorrectly, or there is an issue with the factory stereo, your fader and balance should now work.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. I will do that. The car is in the shop right now. The head unit is a pioneer 4100nex, so it should have all four channels. I am wondering if there is an issue with the rca output and if they maybe didn't hook them all up or hooked them up wrong from it. But I'll have to wait until I get the car back. Anyway, I appreciate the help. They did use a jl audio 4 channel rca line, so I know they used the right cable to give me four channels. It makes me wonder if something is wrong internally with the head unit or amps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page