Speed Alert Gizmo. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-29-2017, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Speed Alert Gizmo.

Hi all I am looking for a gizmo or app that will display the speed that I am doing in my car plus alert me if I go over the speed that is signposted on any given road. I want one that I can let's say put in one or two mph over then it will bleep without having to set it for each different speed limit. Does anyone have any recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-06-2017, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The sign posts would be the tricky part. You can get waves and few other traffic apps that can tell you how fast the road speeds are supposed to be and how fast you are going.

An OBD II port is in most car post 1996 since it was used by inspection stations in some states. You can usually get a bluetooth device these days to plug into it but the password is usually the same password for every unit and a dozen people around you and most cops looking to ticket people know the passwords. Torq runs on android and maybe apple stuff that can tell you how fast you are going and warn you if your going to fast. But you are likely going to run into areas when the speed changes or there are roads that are not posted. Most states say if it is not posted in town it is 25 mph, and if not posted on limited access 55 mph, but with the lift of 55 mph rule, those are changing. So what you really want is a self driving car. lol. Joking aside you would need a camera and an ocr to actually look for speed limit signs a range finder with parallax to be able to figure out how close and if it is for the road you are on or an off ramp or cross road
an cpu or laptop to do image anyslis to generate a target image of what is and is not a speed limit sign.

So as long as you are not blind, I would say there are plenty of apps that can tell you if you are speeding back on road maps which may or may not be correct but nothing you can buy that would tell you want the posted signs around you can do, except a turn key solution to spec. Waze comes to mind, but remember they usually use the gps to tell you how fast you are going. Torq is more accurate but I don't think it has maps right now just dyno (
dynamometer) numbers, which means that if it is a back up to paying attention then just use waze or something like it. If you are using an apple device there is likely a list like this one
http://appcrawlr.com/android-apps/best-apps-speed-limit

good luck.

One of these days that sounds like fun is going to be the death of me.
Space Command as of July, maybe Space Corps if congress changes it
Cadet and Combat Controller out of basic training, CBRN and Major most of the time out of Tech School (general some times have to wear other hats if no else can or will do it.)

I've been floating around electronics so long, I have a box of vacuum tube resisters...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page