Which amp setup? Single 4ch or 5ch or Dual Amps for Subwoofer?
My current setup:
Front Speakers: Focal PS 165 (80w RMS, 160w peak)
Rear Speakers: Focal 165CA1 (60w RMS, 120w peak)
I need help picking an amplifier. I have an Alpine MRP-F300 (4x50w) in my old car which I could reuse. Ideally, I’d like to add a small subwoofer as well.
My choices for a new amp are:
Alpine PDX-V9 (5 channel x 100w + 1 channel 500w for subwoofer)
Alpine MRV-V500 (5 channel x 40w + 1 channel 150w for subwoofer)
Not sure which I should get, I never crank my music really loud anymore so clarity is more important to me.
I have the following questions:
1) My Focal 165CA1 speakers are rated 120w peak, would the 100w max from the PDX-V9 be potentially too much and possibly blow my speakers?
2) Considering I don’t crank up my music high, would the MRV-V500 suffice considering the main 4 channels are less powerful than my current amp (50w vs 40w)? Since my MRP-F300 is 50w per channel, when I did crank up my speakers in my old car (Focal 165CA1 @ 60w RMS + Focal 690CA1 @ 75w RMS) I still got distortion at high volumes. Is this an amp issue or a speaker issue?
3) The MRV-V500 is going to cost me about $450+ tax, while the PDX-V9 I can get for $600. Should I spend the extra $150 and get the more powerful unit? Is the sound any better?
4) Thoughts on two amps? Alpine MRP-F300 + Alpine MRV-M250 (mono for subwoofer)??
Getting a subwoofer will get my frequency range down to maybe around 30hz. My Focal speakers are rated to 60hz.
5) Is the extra $450/$600 for a 5 channel amp + whatever sub I get really worth getting maybe 30hz of extra frequency range?
Seems like spending nearly another $1,000 for just a subwoofer to get a little more range isn’t really worth it… unless of course 60hz from my mains is a wildly optimistic (as most speaker manufacturers claim).
I don’t know what to do. I know I’m going for clarity out of my main front and rears, but would like to have a simple, clean and cost effective (relatively) setup that would include a subwoofer. Just not sure which route is best.
Gear: Sony KDL48W600B, Anthony Gallo A'Diva Ti 5.1, Mirage MM6, Nvidia Shield TV (2nd Gen), Sony CMT-DC1, Kenwood BR-2001 Minidisc Micro System, Numark TT-1, Gemini XL-500 II, Behringer VMX300, JBL Pebbles