Which amp setup? Single 4ch or 5ch or Dual Amps for Subwoofer? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-30-2017, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which amp setup? Single 4ch or 5ch or Dual Amps for Subwoofer?

My current setup:

Front Speakers: Focal PS 165 (80w RMS, 160w peak)
Rear Speakers: Focal 165CA1 (60w RMS, 120w peak)

-----------------------------------------------------------

I need help picking an amplifier. I have an Alpine MRP-F300 (4x50w) in my old car which I could reuse. Ideally, I’d like to add a small subwoofer as well.

My choices for a new amp are:

Alpine PDX-V9 (5 channel x 100w + 1 channel 500w for subwoofer)
Alpine MRV-V500 (5 channel x 40w + 1 channel 150w for subwoofer)

Not sure which I should get, I never crank my music really loud anymore so clarity is more important to me.

I have the following questions:

1) My Focal 165CA1 speakers are rated 120w peak, would the 100w max from the PDX-V9 be potentially too much and possibly blow my speakers?
2) Considering I don’t crank up my music high, would the MRV-V500 suffice considering the main 4 channels are less powerful than my current amp (50w vs 40w)? Since my MRP-F300 is 50w per channel, when I did crank up my speakers in my old car (Focal 165CA1 @ 60w RMS + Focal 690CA1 @ 75w RMS) I still got distortion at high volumes. Is this an amp issue or a speaker issue?
3) The MRV-V500 is going to cost me about $450+ tax, while the PDX-V9 I can get for $600. Should I spend the extra $150 and get the more powerful unit? Is the sound any better?
4) Thoughts on two amps? Alpine MRP-F300 + Alpine MRV-M250 (mono for subwoofer)??

Getting a subwoofer will get my frequency range down to maybe around 30hz. My Focal speakers are rated to 60hz.

5) Is the extra $450/$600 for a 5 channel amp + whatever sub I get really worth getting maybe 30hz of extra frequency range?

Seems like spending nearly another $1,000 for just a subwoofer to get a little more range isn’t really worth it… unless of course 60hz from my mains is a wildly optimistic (as most speaker manufacturers claim).

I don’t know what to do. I know I’m going for clarity out of my main front and rears, but would like to have a simple, clean and cost effective (relatively) setup that would include a subwoofer. Just not sure which route is best.

Gear: Sony KDL48W600B, Anthony Gallo A'Diva Ti 5.1, Mirage MM6, Nvidia Shield TV (2nd Gen), Sony CMT-DC1, Kenwood BR-2001 Minidisc Micro System, Numark TT-1, Gemini XL-500 II, Behringer VMX300, JBL Pebbles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-01-2017, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Spend the money on the PDX.

Single amp simplified both signal and power cable management. Makes it easier to install, hide etc...

The extra power will help your quest for better SQ. The extra power for the sub will also be helpful.

Not sure what vehicle you have this in. Cabin gain is your friend for bass reproduction. The issue with using a single driver 30-3000 hertz is IMD. So adding a subwoofer will help your SQ as well. depending on vehicle, a single 10" sub should be enough. If you are after SQ, The Dayton HO10 is an amazing SQ sub that will not break the bank.
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--295-463
Low distortion, small enclosure. An enclosure that is ~.7 cubic feet and tuned to 30 hertz is phenomenal. out performs an Acoustic suspension hands down.

As far as crossover points, a good start is an 80 hertz high pass for your focals. cross the sub at 80 hertz low pass.

hope this helps

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #3 of 4 Old 09-29-2017, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post
Spend the money on the PDX.

Single amp simplified both signal and power cable management. Makes it easier to install, hide etc...

The extra power will help your quest for better SQ. The extra power for the sub will also be helpful.

Not sure what vehicle you have this in. Cabin gain is your friend for bass reproduction. The issue with using a single driver 30-3000 hertz is IMD. So adding a subwoofer will help your SQ as well. depending on vehicle, a single 10" sub should be enough. If you are after SQ, The Dayton HO10 is an amazing SQ sub that will not break the bank.
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--295-463
Low distortion, small enclosure. An enclosure that is ~.7 cubic feet and tuned to 30 hertz is phenomenal. out performs an Acoustic suspension hands down.

As far as crossover points, a good start is an 80 hertz high pass for your focals. cross the sub at 80 hertz low pass.

hope this helps
So I went with the PDX, got a good deal on it ($620 CAD). Now I need to add a subwoofer to it.

A couple questions;

1) The amp is 5 channel, 2 and 4 ohm capable on all channels. The Subwoofer channel is rated at 500w RMS 2 and 4ohms. I'm going with Focal speakers at 4ohms. Does my subwoofer also have to be 4ohms?

2) The amp is crazy powerful at 500w RMS for the sub. Do I need to get a 500w or greater subwoofer? Ideally I want to get a shallow subwoofer. But most of those are very expensive. Can I get away with a 300w RMS subwoofer? The ideal subwoofer would be the Alpine SWR-T10 but it's about $600. Only 500w shallow subwoofer I can find for a decent price is the Skar VD-10 rated at 2ohms, but all my other speakers are 4ohms.

Thoughts?

Gear: Sony KDL48W600B, Anthony Gallo A'Diva Ti 5.1, Mirage MM6, Nvidia Shield TV (2nd Gen), Sony CMT-DC1, Kenwood BR-2001 Minidisc Micro System, Numark TT-1, Gemini XL-500 II, Behringer VMX300, JBL Pebbles

post #4 of 4 Old 10-09-2017, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ungraphic View Post
So I went with the PDX, got a good deal on it ($620 CAD). Now I need to add a subwoofer to it.

A couple questions;

1) The amp is 5 channel, 2 and 4 ohm capable on all channels. The Subwoofer channel is rated at 500w RMS 2 and 4ohms. I'm going with Focal speakers at 4ohms. Does my subwoofer also have to be 4ohms?

2) The amp is crazy powerful at 500w RMS for the sub. Do I need to get a 500w or greater subwoofer? Ideally I want to get a shallow subwoofer. But most of those are very expensive. Can I get away with a 300w RMS subwoofer? The ideal subwoofer would be the Alpine SWR-T10 but it's about $600. Only 500w shallow subwoofer I can find for a decent price is the Skar VD-10 rated at 2ohms, but all my other speakers are 4ohms.

Thoughts?

Sorry, I missed this. Busy with work.

Get the two ohm sub.

level adjustment at the amp and head unit will allow for the seamless transition between sub and midbass driver.

As for shallow subs... Not sure where to guide you. I don't know SKAR well enough. can you order from Walmart online? They sell some brands not normally associated with Walmart. Not sure if it would bypass that import price you get charged.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page