Fade Issue --- Mixing Car Speakers of Different DB Sensitivity - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-14-2017, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Fade Issue --- Mixing Car Speakers of Different DB Sensitivity

Hello,

I just installed a Chinese aftermarket head unit (Henhaoro Android Radio), oddly it only has 3 RCA outputs...
They are labeled RL, RR, and Sub... So I ran these RCA into a 5-channel Pioneer amplifier (GM-D9605), and everything works, but I have lost FRONT to REAR Fade ability.

The reason I lost the fade ability is because the HU only supports the rear channel for RCA Output, so the built-in fader thinks all 4 of my speakers are only for the rear channel. The amp does automatically pull the incoming 2 channel sound and distributes it for 4 channels, but my problem is the rear fade ability.

I'm looking for suggestions on the BEST way to solve this issue without side effects...

I prefer to solve the issue for under $100, otherwise mise well replace the HU...

My own ideas (probably not very good ones)...

1) I know one way to solve the issue is to use a Line Out Converter and convert the FL, FR speaker level outputs to RCA outputs, then run those to the amp. My concern is mixing Line Out Converted with pure RCA outputs, as well as any side effects or distortion. Sure I could use a 4 channel line out converter, but then I'd have to rewire pretty much everything (trying to avoid a complete rewiring).

2) Another possible way might be an equalizer / mixer / distributor or some combo of the three that supports outputting the channels separately from only a 2 channel incoming source, then I can run those to the AMP as 2 separate channels, and using the AMP increase the gain on the fronts to make up the difference. I am leaning towards this solution, but having issues on HOW TO TELL if a specific equalizer supports this ability (or I could use a pure mixer I guess, but not sure they are common in car audio).

Any other way I can fix the issue?

NOTE:
The reason I need the front/rear fade for the speakers is because my front speakers are rated 88 DB Sensitivity, and my 2 rears are 91 DB sensitivity.
This is a difference of 3DB and is very noticeable, hence the rear speakers are overpowering my fronts.

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

Last edited by coderguy; 09-15-2017 at 01:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-15-2017, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Maybe the Y-Splitter will work, I'll try that first since it's simple. I had to think about it, but since the amplifier will have separate signals if I Y-Split, then I can adjust the gain on just that channel, and maybe that will overcome the 3db difference.

It would be better/nicer to actually solve the rear fade issue, but it looks like the only way to completely solve it is:

1) Use an EQ with pre-amps that has "channel replication" (not sure what the proper audio terminology here is, distribution?)
+ controllable gains for the output of each channel (I found one that might work for $50, but not sure how many others do)

2) Use the speaker input of the amps to replace the RCA entirely (this means running 5 pairs of speaker wire then having to screw it all into the amp, total mess with this much wire)

3) Use a 2 channel LOC and only convert 2 channels, keep the existing RCA cable running from the HU to the amp (not sure if this is compatible with the HU since this means I would be using both speaker level + RCA outputs simultaneously -- though on different channels)

4) Use a 4 channel LOC and convert all the channels, then run one additional RCA cable and just plug the pre-existing RCA into the LOC

5) The workaround I stated at the top, a Y-Spliter to correct the gain, but this doesn't actually fix the problem of not having the Front-Rear fading controls

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm guessing the above ways are about the only way to do it, if anyone wants to chime in and tell me what way they'd pick, let me know...
For now I'll just use # 5 until I decide what the final solution will be. I'm leaning towards the external EQ (#1)...

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page