Alpine CDA-9856/CDA-9857 & Alpine amplifiers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-17-2006, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know the new Alpine amps like this one have screens for adjusting the settings, instead of little knobs. This allows you to control the settings for the amp from the head unit if you get the proper one. Will either of the following allow me to control the amp settings from it if I'm running one of those new Alpine's with a screen instead of knobs?

CDA-9856: http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/produc...?model=CDA-9856

CDA-9857: http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/produc...7&lang=en&tab=F

What's the main difference in those 2 units? The only obvious thing is that the 9857 comes with a remote. Can you buy a remote for the 9856?

Basically, it's either $175 (for the 9856) or $275 (for the 9857). Is it worth the price difference? They both have 2v pre-outs.

Also, is there a way to get an equalizer in your car?

Thanks

XBL: Rocko1290
PSN: Rocko1290
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-17-2006, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Rocko.. the links don't work. But just based on the info you provided, it does seem that these head units pack a lot of value for the money, and based on the details on Alpine's website, it does seem that you can change the amp parameters from the head unit itself. But this might require that the amplifiers be Alpine brand and you need to connect the amps using their proprietary interface and cable (additional $$). The head units do have 3 sets of pre-outs so that you could use them to connect to the front, rear and sub channels of the amp. I would have loved to have higher voltage pre-outs, though. The higher the pre-out voltage, less the distortion particularly in a car's electrical environment But all in all, the Alpines are one of the best sounding head units for the money.

Since you don't often fiddle with the amp settings, I don't see the ability to tune the amp from the head unit to be a deal-breaker. I would say get the head unit and shop for an amp that offers more power/features for the price.

PS: Having compared the features on both the head units on Alpine's site, I think the improvements on the 9857 like the ability to control the center frequency for treble, a wireless remote, a nicer display, steering wheel remote ready etc. which I think would be well worth the money. YMMV.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-18-2006, 06:38 AM

The "amp link" option does not seem to be listed on either unit (or any forthat matter) Could just be part of the AI net system. Adding an eq is easy if you want a dash mounted one, I highly recommend the H701 from alpine (if you get something like the 9860 to control it though)
post #4 of 13 Old 09-18-2006, 06:51 AM

I recently purchased the 9856. The main difference between the 9856 and 9857 is that the 9857 has the upgraded display.

The new line of Alpine head units seem to be a far cry from previous generations. I had to replace an older Alpine from 2002 (got stolen).

In any case, the pre-amp outs are weaker on the newer line of Alpines (2V as opposed to 4V) and the entire line of 2006 Alpine head units LACK BUILT-IN CROSSOVERS .

Keep this in mind if you were planning on controlling the frequency range that your speakers were going to play. (you could wire in crossovers if you need to).

In any case, both head units are bass link capable. You'll have to buy an adapter for it.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-18-2006, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterHoss
I recently purchased the 9856. The main difference between the 9856 and 9857 is that the 9857 has the upgraded display.

The new line of Alpine head units seem to be a far cry from previous generations. I had to replace an older Alpine from 2002 (got stolen).

In any case, the pre-amp outs are weaker on the newer line of Alpines (2V as opposed to 4V) and the entire line of 2006 Alpine head units LACK BUILT-IN CROSSOVERS .

Keep this in mind if you were planning on controlling the frequency range that your speakers were going to play. (you could wire in crossovers if you need to).

In any case, both head units are bass link capable. You'll have to buy an adapter for it.
bass link meaning you can control the amp from the hu?

post #6 of 13 Old 09-19-2006, 10:05 AM

yes. sorry... I should've said Alpine "amp link" or whatever it's called. But keep in mind that in order to control the amp with the head unit, you will need to buy the adapter.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-19-2006, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the 9857, but previously had a 7987, which was much more robust, and didn't have any internal amplification...

The biolite display on both is a huge part of why I chose both units, I went to the 9857 because of Fullspeed and HD Radio support. MP3 plaback off cd pisses me off in the vast majority of head units, because they don't work off playlists.

Sicne I have an external amp, I do all my x-over via that, so don't really need the head unit to do it... and once the settings are set, they don't need to be messed with. It's not an Alpine amp anyway.

Main screen turn on. All your base are belong to us.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-19-2006, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clepto
I have the 9857, but previously had a 7987, which was much more robust, and didn't have any internal amplification...

The biolite display on both is a huge part of why I chose both units, I went to the 9857 because of Fullspeed and HD Radio support. MP3 plaback off cd pisses me off in the vast majority of head units, because they don't work off playlists.

Sicne I have an external amp, I do all my x-over via that, so don't really need the head unit to do it... and once the settings are set, they don't need to be messed with. It's not an Alpine amp anyway.

Just put in a 9857 this weekend and the reason I went with it was the Fullspeed iPOD link and the HD support. It has some decent controls for tuning the subwoofers also you can set up the bandwidth and the freq response. I do have an Alpine amp for my doors but my sub amp is JL/audio that was desinged with my sub.

I need a Vegas Vacation!
post #9 of 13 Old 09-20-2006, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I also have a JL sub and amp (: (got the 5 channel amp for all my speakers and sub)

After going fullspeed, I can't imagine ever going to RCA -> mini din, or even using the box interface.

post #10 of 13 Old 09-20-2006, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeckinp
It has some decent controls for tuning the subwoofers also you can set up the bandwidth and the freq response.
You mean there is an eq built into it?

post #11 of 13 Old 09-24-2006, 06:18 PM

As far as the bass and treble engine controls are concerned?

I think I have my bass frequency range boost on 80 kHz, narrow/width control on 2.

I messed with the settings after the install and forget what it was on, so I guess that's why I'm asking.

I have two 6x9 Boston Acoustics s95's in the rear, and stock components in the front in my 2003 Hyundai Sonata.

I'd like to add that attatching and detatching the face are a little too much. The ipod controls are also too slow to be considered "full speed" as advertised. However, with the highly improved sound in my car from the unit and/or Boston 6x9's, I wouldn't replace them for anything else in the same price range. Thank you.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-25-2006, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebadooo
I'd like to add that attatching and detatching the face are a little too much. The ipod controls are also too slow to be considered "full speed" as advertised. However, with the highly improved sound in my car from the unit and/or Boston 6x9's, I wouldn't replace them for anything else in the same price range. Thank you.
For me, using the 9857's controls are the same speed as if I were using the iPod directly, though without the benefit of the click wheel interface.

Not sure what you mean by attaching/detatching the face being too much... Personally, I don't bother detaching the face, unless I were in a REALLY sketchy area, in which case I'd be more likely not to park there to begin with (;

post #13 of 13 Old 10-08-2006, 06:05 PM

Anyone receive the "ERROR-01" message on the Alpine 9856 during ipod use? Well, I have, and it's annoying. I've heard things can start to go downhill pretty soon after this message pops up. We'll see (I hope not).
Closed Thread Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page