Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-22-2006, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Hey folks,

I've been poking around looking at possible upgrades to my car's stereo system. The car was bought before the era of ipods etc, so has no dedicated input for music storage devices.

In looking at a couple of my local, fairly high-end A/V stores, I was amazed that virtually NONE of the car stereo (radio/CD/Mp3 player) devices offered equalizers. It's been a long while since I searched for car stereo components, but I'm sure that a decent car stereo with an EQ used to be more prevalent. Now I can't find them anywhere. And I insist on having an equalizer, so I can get the best out of my various sources.

What's the deal? Have I just been unlucky or are eqs really that rare in car audio these days? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
EQ is still there. In receivers, it is mostly 3 band parametric EQ with a limited set points and slopes. Good enough to correct any major problems that get past the crossovers, which is where overall response tailoring should be made.

A lot of source players (mp3 players, pda/cellphones, etc.) will also have EQ to correct their outputs.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-23-2006, 01:14 PM

Liked: 10
I've got the Pioneer DEH-P6800MP and it has a 3 band EQ. It also has great ipod integration with the CD-IB100II accessory.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-23-2006, 09:35 PM

The guys that compete use Audio Control 30 Band single channel EQ's. Others use devices like Alpine's H700 that have parametric EQ's. Pioneer ha sthe three band as noted above, personally I rather enjoy the lack of these features as most add coloration or over boost certain levels. The "loud" feature, more like "auto distortion"
post #5 of 10 Old 09-23-2006, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Thanks,

Maybe I'll look for Pioneer stereos.

I find mp3/acc files need a bit of eq to get the tiny, screechy quality tamed somewhat. As well, I listen to a lot of podcasts and voice mp3s of extremely variable quality, so an EQ is a must. (It's too bad the iPod - which I don't have but considered buying - has nothing but crappy pre-set eqs and no user adjustable eq. Even low-cost mp3 players feature adjustable eqs, so whut up wit' dat?

I was just very surprised how hard it is to find an EQ in a car stereo recently.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-25-2006, 03:22 AM
Advanced Member

having been in the car audio scene since the early nineties... i can tell you it has gone through changes.

early on, 30 band EQs were the norm when competing. AUDIO CONTROL, etc made tons of them.

then the digital age came around. my fav is the SONY XDP-4000K DSP unit.

now these days with MP3, iPods, etc, who really cares about EQ'ing...

some units do come with 7-8 bands EQs that have presets. for example, the crappy sony XPLOD line has them. some higher end smaller name companies still do exist.

if you current head unit have RCA line level outs, you can find SOME dash mounted ones. or the trunk mounted ones with dash mounted control.

depends on how much you are willing to spend... ;)

personally, i'm still using sony's 10+ year old mobile ES line and an XDP-210 proc unit. it allows 10 presets of EQ fields that are user controllable.

leo d.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-25-2006, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

In addition to built in EQs, after market EQ-only units can still be attainted, though obviouslly froma space saving perspective, going with a head unit with EQ is preferable...

My old HU had a 5 or 7 band EQ, but my current one does not. There's also a few different bands that have DSP modes to enhance the output of radio/mp3/etc... It's a bit more than just the 'loudness' button, and at least in my Alpine units, it does make a difference, and I find it's all I need. My latest HU actually lets you keep different enhancement settings (there are 4 options, 1, 2, 3, none) based on the source... so for CD, I can set it to none, but for iPod I can use mode3... etc.

Main screen turn on. All your base are belong to us.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-30-2006, 05:45 PM

Eclipse still has alot of EQ options. My 8445 I believe has 8 band EQ with multiple slope options for every band.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-02-2006, 09:43 AM

They are out there. I have a Pioneer 9300 that has a 13 band eq with sub control and front & rear x-overs. This unit is about 6 or 7 years old. Technology is better now so with some searching you will find what you want.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-04-2006, 11:19 AM

i have the Pioneer AVH-P7800DVD which has a graphic EQ for its stereo mode, and multiple parametric EQs for each channel for its multi-channel mode. it also has AutoEQ, but the first time i ran it, it did not detect the subwoofer and did not quite sound "right". i had my installer eventually use an RTA to set up the graphic EQ.
Closed Thread Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page