Need Help Which Of This 3 Head Units Is Best?????? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 09-26-2006, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im having hard time deciding which of this 3 head units is best to go with my new system of 2 13W7 & 2 1000/1. THANKS.

Pioneer AVH-P7800DVD
Eclipse AVN7000
Alpine IVA-D310
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-27-2006, 10:06 PM

Definitely go with the Eclipse. You will not be disappointed. You will not find a better unit with sound quality or better drive mechanisms. I have a AVN5435 and couldnt be happier.

As far as Nav, I think Eclipse is still the fastest with a 10sec route from LA to NY. Their parent company, Fujitsu Ten uses the same technology in Lexus and Toyotas.

Mitsu WD60735
NAD T753
Samsung BDP2550
KEF Reference Series Four's
KEF Reference Series 200C
KEF Reference RDM Two's
Velodyne CHT-12 Sub
post #3 of 23 Old 09-28-2006, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

I used to run eclipse when I participated in car shows in 2002. Back then, it had been one of the elite brands for close to 10 years and I don't suspect much has changed. I haven't owned any of the dvd receiver/ nav units though. Some companies come out with those and push 1-2 volts out for sq so you pay for it with sound. Eclipse is one of the ones that still has 5V pre-outs on their combo/multimedia units. I currently have the Kenwood 8017. I should have bought the eclipse.

"You're not the contents of your wallet. Your'e not your ****ing khakis!"

Tyler Durden, Fight Club
post #4 of 23 Old 09-30-2006, 03:57 PM

With two 13w7's, I hope you pick the one that doesn't skip.
post #5 of 23 Old 10-04-2006, 11:34 AM

i haven't heard an Eclipse HU before, but my Pioneer AVHP7800DVD sure sounds sweet!
i believe that with proper installation and EQ, you cannot go wrong with any one. but for features, the other units cannot touch the Pio: 6.1 channels, multi-channel DVD-Audio, true 480p display, bluetooth, and EQs galore. my only regret is no navigation option...
post #6 of 23 Old 10-04-2006, 04:07 PM

do they all have 4v pre/outs?
post #7 of 23 Old 10-07-2006, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Eclipse imo gives you the best sound quality. I'm running an Eclipse CD-8445 with stock speakers and I am extremely impressed by how clear it made my speakers sound. So impressed that I'm most likely gonna stick with my stock speakers for a whlie and spend money elsewhere instead.

post #8 of 23 Old 10-10-2006, 09:34 PM

I have alpine d300. its a nice unit. i wanted to trade it in for the d310 but cant justify the price. the touch screen and classic interface by alpine is unbeatable. but i think im biased towards alpine.
post #9 of 23 Old 10-16-2006, 12:24 AM

7800DVD will definitely sound better. There is a good reason though, it comes with a processor, and the other two don't! That gives you---24 bit burr brown D/As, 5-volt preouts, DVD audio, dolby digital, dts, Pro Logic II, 9 sets of preamp outs, built in 50 X 8 amplifier in case you want to bi-amp your fronts. You can't really compare it to the other two because it comes with that processor. The screen also looks better than the eclipse and very similar to the 900 series alpine that is also WVGA. All these reasons are why it costs more $$$ than the others too :-)
post #10 of 23 Old 10-17-2006, 09:51 PM

You can get the processor for the eclipse that will give you 8v preouts and dolby digital, dts, all that stuff no uses or should ever use in a car.

Oh yeah, the eclipse has navigation too. I dont see how the pioneer could sound better, they mass produce their stuff using the cheapest components available, eclipse is still one of the few companies that manufactur all their components to audiophile specs, meaning very low tolerances. They are also the only company who uses a digital lens that adjusts to the disc, meaning it will read anything you put in it.

Bottom line is its personal preference. We all should know there is a reason why things cost more when it comes to electronics and that you get what you pay for.

Get whatever has the a UI you are comfortable using and whatever sounds the best to you.

Mitsu WD60735
NAD T753
Samsung BDP2550
KEF Reference RDM Two's
Velodyne CHT-12 Sub
post #11 of 23 Old 10-17-2006, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I've heard Eclipse was bought by JVC?

post #12 of 23 Old 10-18-2006, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwish238
I've heard Eclipse was bought by JVC?

Completely false....Eclipse is owned by Fujitsu Ten, one of the largest electronics companies in Japan, who by the way, also own part of Toyota. Thats why Eclipse's install seemless into Toyotas/Lexus/Scion and why the navigation and whatnot is the same as their factory stuff.

Granted the Victor Corp of Japan (JVC) is also large, not large enough.

Eclipse contracted out the CD1000 to JVC.

Mitsu WD60735
NAD T753
Samsung BDP2550
KEF Reference RDM Two's
Velodyne CHT-12 Sub
post #13 of 23 Old 10-18-2006, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

ahhh okay thanks for the clarification.

I have a Scion tC and I have loaded the appropriate data onto my CD-8445. However I don't know what wires to connect so I can use the steering wheel controls. Any idea?

post #14 of 23 Old 10-19-2006, 12:21 AM

I think if you look at the processor included with the 7800DVD, you will see that it is not mass produced, or using cheap components (thought maybe the mention of the Burr Brown D/As might have hinted that its not your typical cheapo CD player.) Many of the components are shared with their P9R piece which is still being used by many world champions competitors because of its sound quality. The 7800DVD will also read anything you can put in it, including mp3 dvds, Divx, photo CDrs, etc. Worth a listen, you should check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer28
You can get the processor for the eclipse that will give you 8v preouts and dolby digital, dts, all that stuff no uses or should ever use in a car.

Oh yeah, the eclipse has navigation too. I dont see how the pioneer could sound better, they mass produce their stuff using the cheapest components available, eclipse is still one of the few companies that manufactur all their components to audiophile specs, meaning very low tolerances. They are also the only company who uses a digital lens that adjusts to the disc, meaning it will read anything you put in it.

Bottom line is its personal preference. We all should know there is a reason why things cost more when it comes to electronics and that you get what you pay for.

Get whatever has the a UI you are comfortable using and whatever sounds the best to you.
post #15 of 23 Old 10-19-2006, 08:32 AM

You work for Pioneer or something???

When I said the Eclipse would play anything, I meant you can throw in a disc that has been rubbed against concrete and it will still play it skip free, a disc that a JVC, Alpine, Pioneer, or anybody else won't read or will have a seriously hard time playing, let alone skip free.

Mitsu WD60735
NAD T753
Samsung BDP2550
KEF Reference RDM Two's
Velodyne CHT-12 Sub
post #16 of 23 Old 10-19-2006, 09:28 AM

Just seems like you have doubts that a company can make cheap stuff and stuff that sounds good. You work for Circuit City? Your quote about the tolerances of Eclipse is straight off their website

Quote:
You work for Pioneer or something???

When I said the Eclipse would play anything, I meant you can throw in a disc that has been rubbed against concrete and it will still play it skip free, a disc that a JVC, Alpine, Pioneer, or anybody else won't read or will have a seriously hard time playing, let alone skip free.
post #17 of 23 Old 10-19-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtcrxghst
Just seems like you have doubts that a company can make cheap stuff and stuff that sounds good. You work for Circuit City? Your quote about the tolerances of Eclipse is straight off their website

No I dont work for CC. I am the install manager for a custom shop that sells both, I have installed both and played with both extensively. I have also built SQ cars that have placed in the top 5 at world finals for several years now. You can also find my work at SEMA every year. I have been to eclipse facilities and met top guys in the company. I have personally seen the spec sheets for the tolerances.

I simply stating from my experience with both and long term experience with Eclipse and Pioneer in general.

I doubt he is going to notice the difference Burr Brown D/A's will make listening to his subs or will benifit from a 5.1 processor. I am simply saying he will be better off with the Eclipse in the long run.

How much do you think its going to cost to add nav to the pioneer??

Mitsu WD60735
NAD T753
Samsung BDP2550
KEF Reference RDM Two's
Velodyne CHT-12 Sub
post #18 of 23 Old 10-19-2006, 11:23 PM

You can't add nav to the 7800, but I am sure you knew that since you sell both. He doesn't mention a desire for nav, he asks for the best sounding deck.

Quote:
No I dont work for CC. I am the install manager for a custom shop that sells both, I have installed both and played with both extensively. I have also built SQ cars that have placed in the top 5 at world finals for several years now. You can also find my work at SEMA every year. I have been to eclipse facilities and met top guys in the company. I have personally seen the spec sheets for the tolerances.

I simply stating from my experience with both and long term experience with Eclipse and Pioneer in general.

I doubt he is going to notice the difference Burr Brown D/A's will make listening to his subs or will benifit from a 5.1 processor. I am simply saying he will be better off with the Eclipse in the long run.

How much do you think its going to cost to add nav to the pioneer??
post #19 of 23 Old 10-20-2006, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigpapa
Im having hard time deciding which of this 3 head units is best to go with my new system of 2 13W7 & 2 1000/1. THANKS.

Pioneer AVH-P7800DVD
Eclipse AVN7000
Alpine IVA-D310
He asked what will go best with his new system, AVN7000 stock preamp outpreforms the pioneer in a real world application... maybe not on paper but anyone who has hands on experience knows how far paper goes sometimes, meters on the other hand don't lie.

AND....you can add nav to the 7800, its called the AVIC88DVD, sorry you couldnt find it on Pioneer's website. Retail on the unit is $1700, but then again I know this kinda stuff because I sell it, Crutchfield says it wont work, but then again that's somthing you would only know with hands on experience. ;)

If he doesn't want Nav, I would get the Eclipse AVX5000 and the DCU105 and call it a day.

I think this means you've been pwned. Maybe you should read forum rules again, and stop trying to flame me. I am just trying to help the guy out by sharing my experience, sorry but thats my job. I also have seen that most customers who drop bank on subs, don't want to own a brand that Walmart carries, just my $.02, unless of course they have to have dancing dolphins on their screen.

Mitsu WD60735
NAD T753
Samsung BDP2550
KEF Reference RDM Two's
Velodyne CHT-12 Sub
post #20 of 23 Old 10-20-2006, 11:46 AM

Now your just making yourself look like you have never even used the 7800, much less used it extensively. The 7800 has no RGB input and thus you cannot add navigation. The avic88 is for other models like the 5700/6500/6600/7500/7600 and was discontinued like last year. Not intending to flame you, but don't pretend you have "hands on experience" when you don't even know basic features. Keep supporting Eclipse, its good for everyone on this board, but don't pretend to know other models when you obviously don't have a clue

Quote:
He asked what will go best with his new system, AVN7000 stock preamp outpreforms the pioneer in a real world application... maybe not on paper but anyone who has hands on experience knows how far paper goes sometimes, meters on the other hand don't lie.

AND....you can add nav to the 7800, its called the AVIC88DVD, sorry you couldnt find it on Pioneer's website. Retail on the unit is $1700, but then again I know this kinda stuff because I sell it, Crutchfield says it wont work, but then again that's somthing you would only know with hands on experience. ;)

If he doesn't want Nav, I would get the Eclipse AVX5000 and the DCU105 and call it a day.

I think this means you've been pwned. Maybe you should read forum rules again, and stop trying to flame me. I am just trying to help the guy out by sharing my experience, sorry but thats my job. I also have seen that most customers who drop bank on subs, don't want to own a brand that Walmart carries, just my $.02, unless of course they have to have dancing dolphins on their screen.
post #21 of 23 Old 10-20-2006, 01:45 PM

I guess I am wrong once again, I guess myself and my customers have been imagining navigation and my employee who has the combination.

You are obviously the car audio god, I bow to you.

Still AVX5000+DCU105 FTW

Mods....Please close this thread, its not serving its intended purpose anymore.

Mitsu WD60735
NAD T753
Samsung BDP2550
KEF Reference RDM Two's
Velodyne CHT-12 Sub
post #22 of 23 Old 11-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
What ever happened to simplicity?
post #23 of 23 Old 11-10-2006, 05:29 AM

I didn't look at the specic model numbers, but those are 3 good choises of brands. I've always had alpine HU's personally and been satisfied.
Closed Thread Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page