Kenwood DPX-701 Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 10-02-2006, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently installed a Kenwood DPX-701 stereo into my 1998 Nissan Altima. I chose this stereo mainly because of its size. The stock stereo is Double-DIN, so I wanted to find another Double-DIN stereo. A Single-DIN stereo would require a mounting kit and would leave a big gap in the dashboard. I read the reviews for this stereo and they were all great.

I saved a lot of time and headaches by getting a Nissan to Kenwood wiring harness. No soildering or splicing wires.

http://www.scosche.com/scosche_carau...D=SMNN03KEN16B

I used the mounting brackets from the stock stereo to secure the new stereo.

The DPX-701 has a beautiful LED screen. The screen displays the Artist Name and Song Title when playing a CD or listening to FM.

My favorite feature is the USB port in the front. You can insert a USB thumb drive filled with MP3s and it will play them. If you use ID tags, it will also display all of that information too.

The stereo also comes with a handy remote control, for those in the back seat that insist of having control of the stereo.

The sound is great even with my lousy stock speakers. By default, the front speakers are tuned too low, so you'll have to use the fader feature to increase the output of the front speakers.

If you can fit a Double-DIN stereo in your car, definitely look into this stereo.

HTPC Enthusiast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-06-2006, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i just bought the same stereo, and i was just wondering if i can hook up my ipod to the usb port?
post #3 of 22 Old 10-08-2006, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neringa54 View Post

i just bought the same stereo, and i was just wondering if i can hook up my ipod to the usb port?

Yes, I believe you can. But, I don't think you'll have full control of the iPod and it won't charge the batteries either.

HTPC Enthusiast
post #4 of 22 Old 11-08-2006, 07:43 AM

OF COURSE the DPX-701 connects to the iPod.

There are 2 ways.

1 - Using the AUX input adapters on the back (which are basically a pair of RCA cables). This method does NOT control or charge the iPod. Also this allows you to connect other accessories like, game consoles, other MP3 players, laptops, etc.

2 - Using the KCA-ip500 and connecting it to the CD-changer port on the back of the stereo. This method DOES allow the stereo controls and remote to control the iPod and charge the iPod. This method only allows iPod's, not any other accessory.

This is by far the best DD stereo the Kenwood has ever made.
post #5 of 22 Old 11-26-2006, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have had this stereo for a few months with no problems.....until now. After less than two minutes of operation, the screen shuts off or becomes distorted. Turning the stereo off and back on again fixes the screen. Then it will happen again after another minute. This only seems to happen when the temperature drops below 50 F.

Has anyone else had this problem or a similar one?

Before I bought the stereo, I walked into a local car stereo store and asked about this unit. The clerk said, "we don't carry any Kenwood products....too many manufacturing defects." Well, I should have listened to him.

I talked to Kenwood and they said the warranty is void because I did not buy the stereo from an authorized vendor, like Crutchfield. I bought the stereo, brand new, off a merchant on ebay. They have an RMA process, but it will probably be a headache and take a few weeks to process the RMA get a replacement stereo.

Another option will be to send the stereo to Kenwood for repair. They would charge me for the repair costs, but it would probably be quicker than the previous option.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or comments?

Thanks!

HTPC Enthusiast
post #6 of 22 Old 01-01-2007, 06:12 PM

My 701 will be installed on Wednesday. I have been reading thru the manual and wondering why it says you must use the included USB cable to connect a USB device (thumb/flash)? What will happen if I simply connect the USB flash thumb drive directly to the USB port on the headunit? I can't see how the cable protects or changes anything. Any ideas?

Also grabbed the Media Manager software to load music onto the flash. The instructions are not great but having a bit of experience with itunes and another software for a mp3 player, I was able to figure it out. What I cannot tell is if it correctly created the files for the voice index search. When I saved the data to the flash (drag and drop the playlist I had created onto the flash), the screen prompted me through a couple of steps which indicated it was setting up Voice Index. Simply plugging the flash into my computer USB, windows shows some file folders but not the songs. when I plug it into computer with Media Manager running, I can see the playlist and play the songs - this leaves me thinking all is properly formatted for the headunit. Any other file formatting advice?

Finally, in Media manager, I could not find any way to print out the playlist. I know this sounds ridiculous but I tried everything I could think of. No print command that I could find, Highlight all and right click offers no print option; highlight all and ctrl-P has no result either. I even tried highlight all and then ctrl-c and tried to paste into a Word doc but the copy command did not capture the list and therefore the paste was not an option in Word. Has anyone figured out a way to print the playlists from Media Manager?

T.I.A. and Happy New Year!
~ Lou ~
post #7 of 22 Old 01-06-2007, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_1 View Post

What will happen if I simply connect the USB flash thumb drive directly to the USB port on the headunit?

It will work fine. I have a USB thumb drive plugged directly into the head unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_1 View Post

Also grabbed the Media Manager software to load music onto the flash.

I don't bother with the Media Manager software. I simply drag folders over to a USB thumb drive. Pressing the control knob up or down switches the folder. You can make each folder its own genre or album.

HTPC Enthusiast
post #8 of 22 Old 01-06-2007, 04:40 PM

Thanks Scallica. I now have the head unit and new speakers installed. It sounds great and I am working my way thru the features. The Media Mgr software worked fine and the Voice Index seems to function. Although, I still have more to learn to find artist/albums. I have a 2 gig flash with 32 CDs on it (with still another 350 megs avail) mostly ripped at 192. So far, I usually have random activated and memory station 1 button seems to activate the Voice Index for each category (artist, album, genre) depending on how many times I press it. I have not had time to sit with it and really learn the features. The menus are a bit complex but once I get to spend time with it and really familiarize myself with the OS, I think I will get most of it set making finding albums and settings easier on the fly.
Do the EQ settings automatically change by genre? Do I have to set those EQ for each genre or do they stay at one setting? It seemed as though I had them set and then the next day they were flat.
The installer speculated that the recommendation from Kenwood to use the connector cable might be to reduce the chance that the usb connector might get loosened from the main board as the vehicle bumps and the flash wiggles. I use a PNY Attache flash (on the Kenwood recommended and tested list). It is very light and even a bit flimsy (I put a bit of scotch tape on it under the outer case to help snug up the case from pulling off). I might guess that some flash drives have more weight and that would make the installer's speculation more reasonable.
Still haven't found a way to print the playlist from Media Mgr (as that would have the exact match for folders and song numbers). But, If I can learn how to scroll through the albums (I ripped and loaded by album), then the print out will be less necessary.
Would certainly appreciate the benefit of anyones experiences with this unit and any short-cuts, features and functions not clearly outlined in the manual, and/or any other tips.
Thanks again,
~Lou~
post #9 of 22 Old 04-11-2007, 05:34 PM

Hey guys, thinking about getting this head unit. One stickler for is is, can you naviagte folders on a usb mass storage drive using the remote? Also how does security work on these double din head units as I assume you cannot take the faceplate off.

thanks.
post #10 of 22 Old 04-16-2007, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusadus View Post

Hey guys, thinking about getting this head unit. One stickler for is is, can you naviagte folders on a usb mass storage drive using the remote? Also how does security work on these double din head units as I assume you cannot take the faceplate off.

thanks.

Yes, you can navigate folders using the remote. By the way, DO NOT purchase this head unit if you live in a cold climate. On mine, when the temp is below 45F, the screen becomes distorted.

HTPC Enthusiast
post #11 of 22 Old 04-19-2007, 02:36 AM

Bah...now I have to get that as well lol
post #12 of 22 Old 04-22-2007, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

I have this unit. I like it for the most part, but the biggest pain in the A$$ is that the SIR-KEN1 (Sirius Kenwood tuner) doesn't work properly with it. If you turn the car off with it tuned to Sirius it just sits in a "WAITING" state when you turn the car back on. You have to SRC thru to get it back again. VERY ANNOYING and Directed Electronics (maker of SIR-KEN1) and Kenwood won't admit the problem (at least in my case).
post #13 of 22 Old 04-24-2007, 11:41 AM

If you go to the Crutchfield.com website, other folks have been having nightmares with the DPX-701 model. However, the DPX-501 does not have this problem according to satisfied customers. Read the reviews for yourself. I also plan on getting the double din stereo, but will more than likely settle fo the DPX-501.
post #14 of 22 Old 05-07-2007, 09:49 AM

I live in NJ and so far no problems with my DXP-701. I purchased it from crutchfield and no regrets. I did not like the 501 cause the screen was the same as my stock bose radio for my 2002 pathfinder, I wanted a little better otherwise a 1 bin would be installed. Also got the aux extension that goes from the back of the radio into the passenger area for my external MP3 player.

I don't use it for SIRIUS or XM, I know a lot of people been having problems cause of the display lines but I plan on buying an external SAT player and hooking it up via the aux input so that problem will not affect me.

GL
post #15 of 22 Old 05-08-2007, 03:38 AM

To the guy that said the 701 is unreliable and will probably buy a 501 (apparently i cant quote a post until ive made 5 posts), i bought and installed a dpx-501 a week ago, and not a day has gone by that i dont wish i had sprung for a 701. The 501 has no visual features whatsoever. not even a little basic spectrum analyzer type thing. nothing to watch but scrolling text. i hate you 701ers. and it kills me that the manual has info for both units in the same chapters so that i can get a load of all the nifty crap i dont have haha
post #16 of 22 Old 05-12-2007, 12:53 PM

Well, I'd take a 501 any day because of all the problems I've heard, but the still unreleased DPX502 (this year's model) looks like the system worth waiting for. The 502 has nothing new in the way of visual features, but it has a second AUX input on the front like the DPX302 and supports both satellite radio tuners instead of just Sirius. I just wish Kenwood would hurry up and give us a date!

There's not even been an announcement of any kind regarding a 702, which makes me think the 700 series has been dropped, perhaps this screen distortion has something to do with that?
post #17 of 22 Old 05-12-2007, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, the 701 is a PITA. If the temperature drops below 50, the screen becomes distorted. If you power off the stereo, then power it back on, its fine. But then it may crash again. My personal record is 6 consecutive screen distortions.

HTPC Enthusiast
post #18 of 22 Old 05-13-2007, 06:54 PM

will my zoom work hooked up to the usb port? also i can not get the thumb drive to pull up my music using the usb port. any help would be great

john
post #19 of 22 Old 05-13-2007, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flcowboyiniraq View Post

will my zoom work hooked up to the usb port? also i can not get the thumb drive to pull up my music using the usb port. any help would be great

john

Try reformatting the thumb drive to use the FAT32 partition instead of NTFS.

I don't know about the Zune, but if you plug an iPOD into the front USB port, it will only charge the iPOD.

HTPC Enthusiast
post #20 of 22 Old 05-17-2007, 10:22 AM

Well no problems on my 701's display thoughout last winter, so u must have gotten a defective one o.O

They must have sold thousands of those and only a few reported problems with this unit so it can't be that bad.

302 and 502 are not even available yet and we are already in May 2007 so I assume they will most likelly not even hit the shelves, they have been on their site since the end of last year.

BTW kenwood has sold the their last 701 units so I don't think anyone else will have them for sale unless they are returns
post #21 of 22 Old 10-31-2007, 10:05 PM

Kenwood DPX-502 is out. Anyone see a review or use one first hand? Interested in how well it interfaces with an iPod.
post #22 of 22 Old 07-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone know how I can hook up my windows mobile phone via usb and listen to the songs from my windows mobile device? My phone acts like an I-Pod. That's why I posted the question here. Maybe there's a firmware upgrade or a special cable?

Husker Nation is strong!

See "The Vault"
http://members.cox.net/gipper3/hometheater.html

See the weather where I am at!

http://members.cox.net/weatheromaha/weather
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page