Trouble with Kenwood KDC 9011 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-13-2006, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi! I have a Kenwood KDC-9011 head unit in my car and today it started messing up. (actually it's my husband's car now, but anyway.....) He started the car and the face flipped around like normal, but none of the lights came on and none of the buttons are working. The remote isn't working either. You can't change the volume, radio station or do anything with the cd. The cd won't eject either. Does anyone have any idea WTH is wrong? I know it's kind of old, we got it in early 2000, but for what I paid for it I'd expect it to last a little longer. If anyone might know how to fix it I'd really appreciate your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-18-2006, 07:04 PM

it sounds like one of the ribbon cables failed - i had this happen on an old kdc-x789 AND a kdc-x689 - the guy who serviced it told me that the ribbon cable failing is common on pretty much ALL kenwood units with the flipping faceplate

right now actually, my current unit works, but the display doesnt work ONLY in the display mode - basically, it works to show me the volume, cd track, and radio station preset - however, when that fades and the display is supposed to show (mines chosen to an equalizer), it just goes to black - everything works correctly, even the buttons and volume knob light up - but that darn display wont light up - im guessing thats a ribbon cable problem too

oh well - i wont get it fixed again - my kdc-x990 should be here sometime next week :D

uhhh...hd what...?
post #3 of 4 Old 10-18-2006, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply :) I called Kenwood the other day and they gave me the # to a local service center. I called them today and they told me it was probably a ribbon and would probably cost around $100 to fix... So my husband decided to google the part and found a forum that was pretty much dedicated to the same problem, except the model was KDC 7011. Someone had posted how to get to the ribbon, how to replace it and where to get the part. He took it apart and ordered the part, so hopefully he can get it fixed! I'd love to get an awesome system in my car, but since it's an '06 w/ Onstar and the built in phone.... Just seems like too much trouble :rolleyes:
post #4 of 4 Old 10-18-2006, 09:46 PM

oh thats great - if your husband can do things like that (i dont trust myself since i fried a home stereo system a few years back) then its definitely worth it to try it himself - when the repair guy took mine in, it took about 25 minutes and i had it back in my hands - apparently, its a pretty easy repair (for people who know what theyre doing :) )

uhhh...hd what...?
Closed Thread Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page