GPS Help: Garmin or TomTom? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 55 Old 11-24-2006, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to get a portable GPS system for Christmas. I've narrowed my wish list to 3 units:

Garmin C330 (~$330)
Garmin Nuvi 350 (~$500)
TomTom ONE (~$400)

Anyone have experience with the Garmins vs. the TomToms in general? These specific models? Each has desireable features to me (cost of C330, size of Nuvi 350, etc.). But the salesreps are really not well educated on the GPS products, so are not of much help.

Thanks in advance. John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 11-28-2006, 06:26 PM

Liked: 14
Hey John...

I can't speak about the Tom Tom, as I haven't personally used it. I've owned 5 Garmin units over the years, and they've all been absolutely SUPERB! For the record, I tend to be an upgrade junkie, so I haven't owned so many units because they didn't hold up or because I didn't like them. The Garmin units seem to have every feature under the sun, and their newer units even have built in bluetooth for connectivity to your cell phone. I drive a 2004 Lexus SUV with a pretty good nav system, and I still prefer the portable Garmin Street Pilot unit I own. I would never hesitate to recommend a Garmin GPS product to anyone! Best of luck with your purchase.

John from Boston
post #3 of 55 Old 11-28-2006, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I did end up going with the Nuvi 350. In fact, I was able to get it for $479 at CC (BB had it on sale for $499, and CC beat the price). I am traveling in LA this week, and it really is a fantastic tool.
post #4 of 55 Old 12-01-2006, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started with the Garmin CC330, upgraded to the C340 (briefly), Nuvi 350 (briefly), and the C550 (briefly), and used a TomTom 910 til it was stolen. I've also tried a half dozen different in-car GPS systems -- the Pioneer (briefly) in my own and the rest in rental cars. I have now settled on the Nuvi 660, which I've been using the past two months.

The Nuvi 660 is the best GPS I have used, by far. The extra screen real estate, resolution, superior visibility in sunlight, and faster screen redraw makes it a very worthwhile upgrade from previous Garmin products.

GPS Lodge also agrees -- they rate the 660 as the best GPS available in North America at any price. Check out their reviews.
post #5 of 55 Old 12-09-2006, 08:34 AM

Which one is easiest? I've got a great system on my BMW with iDrive. But I'm thinking of getting one for my wife.

It has to be *r*e*a*l*l*y EASY.
post #6 of 55 Old 12-11-2006, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Nuvi 660 is very, very simple to use. No need to ever glance at the manual.
post #7 of 55 Old 12-14-2006, 11:41 AM

what i really hate about nav units right now are the color choices! why would i put a silvery unit in a car that mostly is black/grey vinyl? tomtom ONE has the right color but their other models are silver; same goes for the magellan roadmate 3000. and all garmin models seem to be silver. tomtom has snap-on trim colors but those seem very hard to get...
also, how many portable nav units actually display actual time/clock? my cobra navone can show it, but not on the same screen as the map.
post #8 of 55 Old 12-19-2006, 06:35 AM

I picked up the Garmin c340 for my wife for Christmas as she is the most directionally adverse person I have ever met and we both love it. The menus are easy to use and the voice is easy to understand. I decided on this one primarily becasue Garmin is known to have an impressive POI selection and I must admit, there has yet to be a singel place we have tried to look up that was not in there.

When i tried out the Tom-Toms I did like their keyboard menu better and thought the map was more fluid, but that did justify the price alone.
post #9 of 55 Old 12-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Take a look at the Pioneer Avic S1 which is a great piece! I have been usin gthis for several months now and it works very well. The menu system is very intuitive and it also incorporates the Bluetooth feature that is only found on the more expensive Nuvi. You can pick up an Avic S1 for just over $400.00 and it has everything that the top of the line Nuvi offers other then being able to playback digital books.

The Avic S1 also has a 2 mb sd card slot which supports firmware updates and maps. The piece also should be able to offer the complete European map set which includes 26 countries for a nominal fee. Nuvi additional country maps are approximately $200.00 for each additinal country which is way overpriced in my opinion. You could purchase two Avics S1 (one USA and one Euro edition for less then it would cost for one top of the line Nuvi or even 670 with addititonal SD map cards.

The Avics S1 has only one basic shortfall which is the battery life is limited to about three hours. This has never bothered me as I always connect thepiece to my cigarette lighter with the supplied power adapter.
post #10 of 55 Old 12-30-2006, 08:43 PM

Tom Tom
post #11 of 55 Old 01-15-2007, 01:55 PM

there are re-furbished tomtom GO units going right now for very good prices (<$400). at that price, i believe it is the best nav unit to get. u get a bigger screen (4"), resolution, and a faster processor than most (400MHz). it is also very smart: your current position is not in the middle of the screen so you can see more of what's ahead of you; the map zooms in/out depending on your speed; it displays on the map the name of the next street on your way.
post #12 of 55 Old 01-15-2007, 03:25 PM

Garmin.

Absolutely no question about it.
post #13 of 55 Old 01-15-2007, 05:31 PM

Do you need mac support? If so i'm pretty sure that you will have to go with the tom tom because garmin does not support macs.

If it was connected properly we wouldn't be having this conversation.
post #14 of 55 Old 01-17-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memnoch2 View Post

what i really hate about nav units right now are the color choices! why would i put a silvery unit in a car that mostly is black/grey vinyl? tomtom ONE has the right color but their other models are silver; same goes for the magellan roadmate 3000. and all garmin models seem to be silver. tomtom has snap-on trim colors but those seem very hard to get...
also, how many portable nav units actually display actual time/clock? my cobra navone can show it, but not on the same screen as the map.

why do you need a actual clock on the unit, i'm sure your car has one.

"Guess what? I've got a fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!" -Bruce Dickinson, famed producer
post #15 of 55 Old 01-17-2007, 08:39 AM

Garmin. i like the free updates through the website. battery like is 8 hours if needed. i have the c330. when i upgrade and give wife the c330 i will go with a gramin that has the blue tooth. i do not like built in nav units that use dvd's. to expensive to purchase and with the portables i update about once a month, did i mention FOR FREE......

"Guess what? I've got a fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!" -Bruce Dickinson, famed producer
post #16 of 55 Old 01-17-2007, 09:34 AM

I have been very happy with my Garmin 2620
post #17 of 55 Old 01-17-2007, 01:29 PM

Very happy with my garmin nuvi 350
post #18 of 55 Old 01-20-2007, 08:47 AM

I recommend Nuvi 350.
post #19 of 55 Old 01-20-2007, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Another vote for the Garmin 350 -- it's easily the best GPS under $500. Garmin issues free firmware updates to improve usability / functionality / performance every few months, as well as comprehensive map updates every year that you can buy for about $50. They are also well-supported by end users, with downloadable POIs for red light cameras, speed traps, and virtually every major retail chain (i.e. for the latest stores).

Above $500, the clear choice is the Nuvi 660 or the new Nuvi 680.

If you make trips where you have multiple stops on your itinerary (ex: for deliveries), and want the GPS to prioritize / optimize your route order, then you should look at the 26xx, 27xx, and Zumo 550.
post #20 of 55 Old 01-20-2007, 10:50 AM

I love my Nuvi 360, Bluetooth is great, simple controls, great maps, lats of feature updates throught the Garmin website.

Let's stamp out & abolish redundancy!
post #21 of 55 Old 01-23-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficosucks View Post

why do you need a actual clock on the unit, i'm sure your car has one.

i have an infiniti that is the analog type. also, my flip-up headunit when it opens covers the clock. also, clocks from nav units are accurate, and you don't need to re-set ever.
post #22 of 55 Old 01-23-2007, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I bought a Tom Tom Go 700, and though it has many customizable features, the actual PoI database is pathetic, and Tom Tom makes you pay for map updates - which you would clearly need in a year or two due to the poor state of current maps. I am sure the same is the case with other Tom Tom models. So, I advise people to stay away from Tom Tom at present.

I have no experience with Garmin, but I've found Magellan units (used in Hertz rental cars) to be very good with their PoI database and their general accuracy of routes.
post #23 of 55 Old 01-24-2007, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghibliss View Post

Take a look at the Pioneer Avic S1 which is a great piece! I have been usin gthis for several months now and it works very well. The menu system is very intuitive and it also incorporates the Bluetooth feature that is only found on the more expensive Nuvi. You can pick up an Avic S1 for just over $400.00 and it has everything that the top of the line Nuvi offers other then being able to playback digital books.

The Avic S1 also has a 2 mb sd card slot which supports firmware updates and maps. The piece also should be able to offer the complete European map set which includes 26 countries for a nominal fee. Nuvi additional country maps are approximately $200.00 for each additinal country which is way overpriced in my opinion. You could purchase two Avics S1 (one USA and one Euro edition for less then it would cost for one top of the line Nuvi or even 670 with addititonal SD map cards.

The Avics S1 has only one basic shortfall which is the battery life is limited to about three hours. This has never bothered me as I always connect thepiece to my cigarette lighter with the supplied power adapter.

I have the Pioneer...

...I love the look of it.

How much does the Euro map set cost???

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink
Mr. Cialella is, without question, the AVS honorary MOST ADMIRED PERSON OF THE YEAR.:D
post #24 of 55 Old 01-30-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

I bought a Tom Tom Go 700, and though it has many customizable features, the actual PoI database is pathetic, and Tom Tom makes you pay for map updates - which you would clearly need in a year or two due to the poor state of current maps. I am sure the same is the case with other Tom Tom models. So, I advise people to stay away from Tom Tom at present.

I have no experience with Garmin, but I've found Magellan units (used in Hertz rental cars) to be very good with their PoI database and their general accuracy of routes.

i just got a tomtom go 510 and the 2006 map update was free, except for a $6 shipping & handling charge. i don't think any manufacturer gives map updates for free, including garmin...
i'm not sure about the POI database either because i believe this will be based on the map provider: TeleAtlas or NAVTEQ. i don't care about POI's too much anyway; i have google maps on my treo.
post #25 of 55 Old 02-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Kil

Another vote for the Garmin Nuvi 350. It is one of the most amazing pieces of technology I have ever owned. Small and lightweight. The perfect travel companion.

GPS
MP3 player
Audible Book player
SD card slot
Language Guide
Travel Guide
Picture Viewer
World Clock
Currency Converter
Calculator

and more.
post #26 of 55 Old 02-13-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memnoch2 View Post

i have an infiniti that is the analog type. also, my flip-up headunit when it opens covers the clock. also, clocks from nav units are accurate, and you don't need to re-set ever.

that sounds reasonable.

post #27 of 55 Old 02-13-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

They are also well-supported by end users, with downloadable POIs for red light cameras, speed traps, and virtually every major retail chain (i.e. for the latest stores).

do you have any links for POI. i can not find any on the web. and i'm not sure how to load them. i have the c330

post #28 of 55 Old 02-14-2007, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficosucks View Post

do you have any links for POI. i can not find any on the web. and i'm not sure how to load them. i have the c330

Sure, see the GPSPassion forums.

Garmin Nuvi Discussion Area on GPS Passion

POI Area on GPS Passion

Use the Garmin POI Loader to add these to your Nuvi. I recommend that you save the POIs to a SD card, so you don't mess with the internal storage.
post #29 of 55 Old 08-08-2007, 12:01 PM

Hello,
Am alex and i work for a company that deals on wholesales of tomtoms and garmin. Pls mail me for more enquiries..

Thanks
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdag View Post

I'm looking to get a portable GPS system for Christmas. I've narrowed my wish list to 3 units:

Garmin C330 (~$330)
Garmin Nuvi 350 (~$500)
TomTom ONE (~$400)

Anyone have experience with the Garmins vs. the TomToms in general? These specific models? Each has desireable features to me (cost of C330, size of Nuvi 350, etc.). But the salesreps are really not well educated on the GPS products, so are not of much help.

Thanks in advance. John

post #30 of 55 Old 08-10-2007, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a Tomtom 910 It is really easy to use but I am disappointed with a couple of things.
I hear conversations great but everyone tells me it is almost impossible to understand me.
I have tried a new external mic and that didn't work. Also the POI are not very good on the TomTom If you tell it to find home depot for example it will find them all in an area but it does not list the address or the phone number I borrowed a magellan that did this. It can be frustrating. Overall I wish I had bought a different brand And will when it is time to upgrade.
The new Magellans seem a little complicated to use. I may not have given it a fair shake.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page