Putting a car sub in house - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-14-2007, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey I just wanted to know what I would need to put a car sub and amp in a house mostly just need to know what kinda of battery I would need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-14-2007, 02:05 PM

Wouldn't need a battery if your power supply is large enough. Something like this.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=120-558

Yjeu make power supply's that I know of up to 90 amps and there are may be some larger ones.

What is the fuse size on your amp?
post #3 of 9 Old 03-14-2007, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, it's 30A x2 so not that much.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-14-2007, 03:28 PM

I would use a 45 amp and see if that works. If not, you could always add a deep cell battery for some xtra oomph. When I worked at a car audio shop & at Circuit City that is how our sound boards were set up.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-05-2007, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Waaaayyyy back when I had a single voice coil 12 in a box w/ some off brand amp (with a MOSFET power supply) hooked up to a spare computer power supply. Problem there is you need to find an old AT power supply with a hardware switch. It rattled my windows watching ID4 until I got real powered sub. And if I remember right, it was only like a 400 watt power supply.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-06-2007, 07:45 AM

I've heard some car subs that sound VERY good in houses...I'd be excited if I were you
post #7 of 9 Old 04-06-2007, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmystikcfl View Post

Waaaayyyy back when I had a single voice coil 12 in a box w/ some off brand amp (with a MOSFET power supply) hooked up to a spare computer power supply. Problem there is you need to find an old AT power supply with a hardware switch. It rattled my windows watching ID4 until I got real powered sub. And if I remember right, it was only like a 400 watt power supply.

hmm that sounds interesting I have an old atx power supply I could use, I know all the black wires are ground but what other wire do I use?
post #8 of 9 Old 04-06-2007, 06:20 PM

Most computer power supplies (even rated at 400 watts) don't do much more than 20A on the 12v rail...

You would probably be better off just getting an ac/dc adapter... Though if you plan to turn it up pretty loud you need a pretty powerful ac/dc converter. With a 30ax2 that's 60 amps total... Your amp may or may not get up that high though. What brand amp is it and how much rms power is it rated at?

You might even be better off looking for a home sub plate amp... or an inexpensive home receiver/amp to use as the amp... Just some thoughts.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Most of the older ATX power supplies only have 1 12v rail, so they deliver full power off of any connection if only 1 connection is used. You're right that both of the black wires are grounds. Of the other 2, 1 is a 12v+ and the other is 5v+. The yellow wire should be the 12v+ and the black right next to it should be the 12v ground. If you have a volt meter, just measure voltage between each hot lead and one of the ground leads with the power supply turned on. That will tell you which is which for sure.

Good luck! As much as I enjoyed my car sub, turned home sub, it really took up way too much space and it was a pain having to turn the pc power supply on separately from the amp. What can I say, I love automation?
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page