Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 44 Old 08-19-2007, 01:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
DNX7100 -- no brainer

Has Garmin NAV (sirfIII) totally integrated
IPOD, Bluetooth, any CD,DVD flavor your want.

Got it installed today & I was bopping between the DVD with a gillion MP3 songs, my IPOD, & Tuner -- w/ the NAV playing in the background .... Nice unit.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 10-13-2007, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry to bring this back, but I am wondering about the Bluetooth phone option.

Is it that the head unit cannot support displaying the caller ID, or it is only supported with some phones? I have read both...and can't seem to get a straight answer.

I am debating between this unit, and the AVIC-Z2 by pioneer. My main concern with the Z2 is not only the cost, but I prefer the garmin navigation. However I have heard the kenwood unit's menu is a bit quarky.
post #33 of 44 Old 10-13-2007, 08:22 AM

depends on the HU some HU has an option of saving the contacts in the unit it self by trasnferring it through bluetooth but some units will access your phone's contacts to show the caller id
post #34 of 44 Old 10-14-2007, 02:30 AM

Well I was refering to this Head Unit, the Kenwood DNX7100
post #35 of 44 Old 10-14-2007, 06:49 AM

it looks like you have an option of downloading your contact list to the head unit which is great cause you can view the caller id that way. I have a valor nvg-670w and dont save the contact in the sd card but for some reason I am having a problem showing the names and phone number on the HU but it is showing a list of icons as contacts, my cell is a treo 650 and probably a firmware upgrade on the cellphone will help.
post #36 of 44 Old 10-17-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOppie View Post

I am debating between this unit, and the AVIC-Z2 by pioneer. My main concern with the Z2 is not only the cost, but I prefer the garmin navigation. However I have heard the kenwood unit's menu is a bit quarky.

the navigation prowess of the Z2 is unmatched by ANY other navigation device, and reviews are unanimously in favor: learning AI, voice control, text-to-speech. if you can afford it, do not hesitate!
post #37 of 44 Old 10-18-2007, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by memnoch2 View Post

the navigation prowess of the Z2 is unmatched by ANY other navigation device, and reviews are unanimously in favor: learning AI, voice control, text-to-speech. if you can afford it, do not hesitate!

do you know if the Z2 uses the same navigation system as the Pioneer portable S1? I have the S1 and based on the routes it takes me, I wouldn't buy another pioneer that uses the same software
post #38 of 44 Old 10-24-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnrok23 View Post

do you know if the Z2 uses the same navigation system as the Pioneer portable S1?

absolutely not! there is no other nav device, portable or otherwise, that has the same "brains" as the AVIC-Z's. the S1 is a POS that's why they're just giving them away... i think the closest nav out there is the ones from Acura; not sure if pioneer is the oem there.
post #39 of 44 Old 04-09-2008, 02:58 AM

I use my system for Sirius more then anything else. I had an Alpine in my old car, and the Sirius control sucked!!! I then got the Sportster 4, and that works great.

If I get a Double Din system, I don't want a separate device to control Sirius. The things I like the most about the Sportster, is multi line display, being able to select favorite artists, and the ease of navigating the system. I hear the Pioneer D3 has only a 1 line display for Sirius, but multi line for XM. What a waste of space.

I have read a lot of reviews that say they had to send the Pioneers back due to a bad hard drive. I have also heard great reviews on the Kenwood (Garmin) Nav. I have a PPC-6800 Cell phone, and found that with a hack, it connects with the D3 well.

Any info would be great.

Blue Skies,
Wags
post #40 of 44 Old 04-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by flent View Post

this
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-z3uBfP3...Display=Alpine

and this
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-z3uBfP3...Display=Alpine

The best of both worlds. portable nav when you need it but then you dock the nav into the special docking location behind the face and you have indash navigation.

Plus alpine is easier to bypass the e-brake wire if you wqant to be able to watch a dvd while driving.

This is the one I'm waiting for, though nav is the least important feature to me. I'm all about my iPod, and the DVD-A/V capability next. It has a much smoother looking interface than the 205.
post #41 of 44 Old 04-09-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydiveWags View Post

I have read a lot of reviews that say they had to send the Pioneers back due to a bad hard drive.

The Z2 did have some overheating problems that would cause the hard drive the freeze up. Pioneer released a firmware update last fall that fixed the problem. The Z3 is now available but not much change at all, pretty much just a updated map but the price has come down $200-$300.
post #42 of 44 Old 04-10-2008, 08:18 AM

Do you have the Z2? if so, does it have multi line display for Sirius?

I did hear about the firmware upgrade, and I have seen some good package deals on the Z2.

Blue Skies,
Wags
post #43 of 44 Old 04-21-2008, 08:04 AM

This is an old topic, but maybe we could update it instead of making a new one. In the past 12 months since this thread was created is there any other NAV system that would take the place of the suggestions mentioned here? I am looking for a double din for my 2003 Camry. I notice the Kenwood's just came out (5120, 7120, 8120) and besides the obvious early firmware issues I have heard good things. What else?
post #44 of 44 Old 04-21-2008, 12:37 PM

It turns out the earlier posts about the Kenwood firmware not being upgradable were premature. Kenwood did in fact post updated firmware to its website which owners could copy to a USB flash drive and plug into the head unit to perform the upgrade.

Now that I've owned the DNX7100 for a year, the only real negative thing I can say is that the user interface can be a bit tedious to use, as sometimes you have to drill down to get to functions that should be at your fingertips. However I'm used to it now, so despite that annoyance I'm still happy with it.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page