self install crazy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-23-2007, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im looking at upgrading my ford cobra's sound system mainly for connectivity reasons (Id like to get a deck that plays mp3s and easily connects to an ipod - something like an Alpine CDA-9883).

As long as Im doing it I figured I might as well add like a 10" sub to the trunk.

I always shop at Ultimate Electronics but I cant help feeling that I wont be getting a good deal buying all of the stuff there.

I've never done any car audio installs before and Im wondering how much of a pain this would be to do myself. And would it be worth it?

Running the cables to the trunk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-23-2007, 03:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, that depend on how intricate you want to get. A head unit install is pretty straightforward (especially with the cable adaptor kits sold by Crutchfield and others). If you start adding sound deadening material and routing your cables through the frame then things get a bit more advanced! I added 2+ layers of dampener and 1 layer of absorption material on the entire interior of my car. My buddy and I spent from 8 a.m. to 2 a.m. and got about 1/2 of it done. It took another 2 FULL days working by myself to add the rest of the material and hook up the electronics (simple component speakers + sub, 2 amps, cap, XM, headunit). A similar install at a local custom shop would run thousands of dollars.

If you are techno-savy I'd say you could install all the electronics in under a day (assuming no custom kick pod building, etc.). If you start adding dampening and absorption material or any sort of custom enclosure then your time really starts to add up...
post #3 of 4 Old 04-23-2007, 09:38 PM

what year cobra?? I ask this because they all have factory amps, some easily bypassed while others are more of a pain.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-24-2007, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flent View Post

what year cobra?? I ask this because they all have factory amps, some easily bypassed while others are more of a pain.

Its a 2003
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page