Car DVD help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-27-2007, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, here's what I'm looking to do:

We're driving to Florida (from CT) coming up in awhile. I've got 3 kids in the mini-van. I know an overhead would work, but we've got a ford Windstar and I've had trouble finding good aftermarket solutions that are easy to install and, relatively, inexpensive.

So I've been considering some of the dual screen, headrest mount, options at least to hold us over (this will be an annual trip) for a couple years. I'd like to put one screen viewable from the "middle" seats (so on the back of the front row passenger side) and one viewable from the third row seats (so affixed to the back of the passenger side middle row seat). As of yet, I've not really found much with cords long enough to do that.

Could anyone give me some suggestions on this one? I'm about stumped, and cabling length seems to be hard to come by info on the net (and the selection at the local BB and CC is, to put it mildly, awful).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-10-2007, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't help you with your option but I can tell you not to get our setup. We got a Toyota Sienna with an upgrade for a DVD console. It's not direct connect so it transmits sound via a FM station. The sound is absolutely horrible. I've taken it back to them and they said that is just how they sound. The voices are clear, but everytime theres a hint of bass it has a weird warble sound. We're wishing we had upgraded the package to get a direct connect with controls at the main console.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-11-2007, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

i purchased a dual screen audiovox model from target. the cords are stretched quite a bit. it does come with a 6 inch extension cord for power. the other cord required is a simple a/v cable (red/white/yellow rca's) the sound is not very loud, but we have not tried to use the head phone option. most aftermarket dvd players are wired for fm modulation. unfortunately, you don't get very good sound with these. i normally would not recomend BB, but our best buy has a pretty decent selection of mobile a/v. you may want to look into them. i personally believe the overhead systems work best. we had an aftermarket in our durango before trading for our caravan. with the overhead, ther primary benenfit is the larger screen options. hope this helps. good luck with your purchase...
post #4 of 5 Old 05-22-2007, 10:42 AM

Pilferk, did you decide which route to go yet? I've also got a Windstar and 3 kids, trying our first extended driving trip this summer, and also trying to decide on a dual screen player to try.

Mlkmgr, do you like your Audiovox? Target has them on sale this week, so I was thinking about picking one up, but thought I'd try a little research here on them first.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

they are ok. the sound issue is what really bothered me. barely audible at highway speeds. they are not loud at all. they offer head phone jacks but we have not used those yet. we are going to upgrade to an overhead dvd system and move this dual screen to my intrepid.
one thing i thought of considering was to purchase an fm modulator/transmitter and seeing how the sound is thru the factory system. will post once we give it a shot.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page