Upgrading car audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-20-2007, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,
While I am comfortable with home audio, car audio is scary to me with so many places selling snake oil.
BACKGROUND:
I have 04' Honda civic 4-d, sedan. 2 years ago I had replaced the stock head unit with a sony 65wpc, mp3 compatible cd player. I also had subsequently replaced all 4 61/2" speakers with decent infinity ones - both felt like a good upgrade.
REQUIREMENT:
I am ready to take the plunge and put in a SUB+AMP and run my speakers off an amp too(separate or combined with the amp driving the sub). I donot like to keep original CDs in the car, so mp3 playback is essential for me if u guys think I shud change the SONY.
PREFERENCES:
I listen to mostly rock and pop. I am not bass crazy and I rarely listen to RAP/HH.
I would like a good clean bass, more tight than loud. I would not want to shake the car next to me by any means!!!
BUDGET:
I dont know what quality components cost these days. I have only looked thru CC/BB offerings. I would like to stay below $1000 ideally. The lower the better. Also shud I go with BB/CC or a speciality car audio store?
Thanks for the advice guys (in anticipation).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-21-2007, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Generally sealed box subs provide tighter bass (i.e. not as loud as ported sub boxes). With that in mind you'll want to look at a 10" or 12". You can make a significant difference without spending a lot of money.

Both of these subs provide a lot of bang for the buck.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...A00F4896446043

Find a sealed box for the correct size, add a decent amp

Have your amp wired with 4 gauge power/ground and have whoever does it put in a distribution block so that if you do want to add an amp for your speakers you'll already be setup for power. I think adding a sub to your already upgraded speakers will amke a big difference. You may not even feel the need to add an amp for your speakers.

Quote:
don't insult my intelligents
post #3 of 6 Old 05-22-2007, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsrenduro View Post

Generally sealed box subs provide tighter bass (i.e. not as loud as ported sub boxes). With that in mind you'll want to look at a 10" or 12". You can make a significant difference without spending a lot of money.

Both of these subs provide a lot of bang for the buck.

Find a sealed box for the correct size, add a decent amp

Have your amp wired with 4 gauge power/ground and have whoever does it put in a distribution block so that if you do want to add an amp for your speakers you'll already be setup for power. I think adding a sub to your already upgraded speakers will amke a big difference. You may not even feel the need to add an amp for your speakers.

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

1.Do u think I will need 1 or 2 subs. Or will it depend on whether I go with 10/12"?
I would rather have both installed at once, rather than pay for installation twice.

2.I might just skip the speaker amp then and see how it goes with the sub only. Is this a good website to shop for these products, or shud I look around?

3. Are these sub better than the kickers? CC has a buy one get one free sale for kicker subs.

4. Could u point me to a wiring kit too! I dont want to spend money on snake oil features.

Appreciate ur help a lot !!
post #4 of 6 Old 05-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

if you want the "boom" you will get two subs. if you simply want to add to the low end of your stereo, a single 10" will suffice. purchase whatever is within your budget. for the wiring kit, you don't need monster. if you plan on installing yourself, head to home depot and pick up some 4 awg power wire and a power lead from HU to the amp (28awg). cheap and functional, but not "fancy". you can then pick up the inline fuse somewhere else cheap along with the rca cable.
if you want to go the whole kit route, try knukonceptz dot com, ebay, or google.
i believe anyone can install this on their own. it is simply a matter of running wires, screwing in sub, connecting to amp, etc. if you don't feel comfortable, ask around. the install at most bigbox stores is sometimes subpar and their fees are absolutely ridiculous!!
good luck with your purchase...
post #5 of 6 Old 05-22-2007, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

knukonceptz.com is the best place for inexpensive, quality wiring. You can call them and ask them or just go with a 4 gauge 2 amp kit from them. I wouldn't suggest getting stuff from home depot because unless you know exactly what you'll need there's more to it than just cheap wire. The buy one get one free thing will probably serve your need and you can listen to them before you buy.

Quote:
don't insult my intelligents
post #6 of 6 Old 06-10-2007, 07:05 PM

Crutchfield is a good source for wiring diagrams.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page