Removing a Kenwood stereo? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2007, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a long shot, but I thought I'd see if someone could help. I need to remove my old Kenwood stereo that was installed 9 years ago. I no longer have the keys to insert into the sleeve to get the stereo to slide out, and getting them in this small town is impossible. Anyone know of any tricks or alternate method to use in place of the keys? I'm pretty frustrated since I was looking forward to getting my new Alpine in this weekend. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2007, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

if you have a dash kit, pull the whole kit out and pry up the sides. if not, i have used some small screwdrivers before and started on one side and pulled the HU out at an angle and then worked the other side. i have also used butter knives before. hope this helps. good luck.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

I hadn't thought of small screwdrivers. I'll try that today. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I finally got it removed (I ordered the Kenwood keys from eBay, but got tired of waiting for them so I kept plugging away.) I had no luck with screwdrivers, so I got two wire coat hangers, and squeezed them down with pliers at one of the "elbow" ends on each so they'd be narrow enough to slide into where the removal keys are supposed to fit. Then I just rammed them in there, and with a little work was able to pull out the Kenwood. Just thought I'd post in case the tip can help someone in the future.