Pioneer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-09-2007, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just tried a Pioneer 1900 and 2900 car player... and they are both terrible.
Wanted the Aux jack on the front panel.
Sales people here seem to think Pioneer is great but as I drive around the
multipath static comes and goes and is very irritating.
ALso the graphic LCD panel is hard to see on a bright day because it is not bright enough.
So Tomorrow the 2900 comes out. Going to Try a SOny. ALso has Aux input on the front and much brighter LED screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmellnik View Post

ALso the graphic LCD panel is hard to see on a bright day because it is not bright enough.
So Tomorrow the 2900 comes out. Going to Try a SOny. ALso has Aux input on the front and much brighter LED screen.

try a cheap clarion, you can have usb and aux in, plus at least 4 volt outputs for under 200.00, Sony car audio is not as good as in the early 90's
post #3 of 8 Old 07-10-2007, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmellnik View Post

I wouldn't expect much from a $99 receiver made by ANY company... Pioneer makes some nice receivers... Just don't buy the lowest end model....

Save up for the DEH-P5900 or DEH-P6900 (I bought this one)...

Circuit City sells the 5900 for $200.... You will get a lot more bang for your buck and the Ipod connectivity is great.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

i agree. you cannot expect a low end HU to have all the bells and whistles (display contrast/dimmer/etc). actually, pioneer is known for having excellent fm reception with their "supertuner" implementation. i believe even their lower end units have this function. make sure you have your sensitivity level set correctly (i believe it should be at the highest to only allow strong stations). that multipath static may be from having your settings incorrect. good luck with whatever you decide...
post #5 of 8 Old 07-11-2007, 05:30 AM

Liked: 12
I have a high-end Pioneer in my car and I like it. But, several years ago, I replaced the factory receiver in my truck with an inexpensive Panasonic. The Panasonic blows the Pioneer away in all aspects.

I have since purchased another Panasonic because I wanted XM capability, and I am very impressed. The Panny has a very clean sounding high power amp, with lots of connections and adjustments to tailor the sound to your vehicle.

The Pioneer is a pain to set up, with their menu system. Once set up, it is easy to use. But, every time I disconnect the battery for maintenance, I have to go through the arduous task of setup again.

The Panasonic is a breeze to setup and adjust. A very intuitive menu system.

Here is one that you might be interested in...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8c65VYC...300&I=133C5305

I purchased mine on Ebay for a substantial discount, but Crutchfield is a quality supplier.

I highly recommend Panasonic!
post #6 of 8 Old 07-24-2007, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Well after trying four different radios I have to say it was not the radios fault.
After much research i am coming to to conclusion that the HD Radio is causing the interference. Still dont like the pioneers poorly lite screen.

Well After trying several radios and not understanding why they all had static I am starting to think its something else.
For the longest time I thought maybe the powered antenna was the problem. After all if the factory radio worked but all the
aftermarkets did not ...???what gives. But all my tests proved that everything was working the way it should. Even my grounding was OK.

Then I called the installer that installed my multiple attempts. He says over last month he has gotten 100% increase in unsatisfied customers do to this static multipath sounding issue.
Even the radios he has put in his car have the problem.

Well The radio stations are all starting to piggyback this new format "HD RADIO" on the FM signal. GREAT. So this is causing interferance with the Main FM
signal and/or Ajacent stations.

My theory is that the factory radios are being built to deal with this interferance better than the after market radios we are buying.

This makes a lot of sense because static is getting into the audio without really "losing" the strenght of a station. This had me mystified. As a Ham Radio
operator I could not figure out how you get static when the strength of a station is so strong.

So it looks like they have Killed the FM analog band in order to usher in a new medium that is really going to be an inferior one....for many other reasons which I am not going to get into here. I guess I am going to have to get a radio with HD or Satellete or just forget radio in the car all together.

THis of course is my theory but the more I googled around the more this sounded like a good explaination.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

try another installer
post #8 of 8 Old 07-27-2007, 09:01 PM