2008 City Navigator® North America NT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-24-2007, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Has anyone updated their GPS with the new maps? Is there anyway to preview them? I wanted to see if the two new interchanges in my area were put in before the update was published. If not there's no reason for me to upgrade yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

Has anyone updated their GPS with the new maps? Is there anyway to preview them? I wanted to see if the two new interchanges in my area were put in before the update was published. If not there's no reason for me to upgrade yet.

Haha, I'm googling the 'net to find the best price on this and this was one of the links. I *will* be buying this today even if I have to do it at full boat price from Garmin. If you PM me your interchanges, I will look when I have it installed. (It looks like it comes only on DVD, so there'll be shipping time involved.)
post #3 of 8 Old 07-30-2007, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Did you end up getting it?
post #4 of 8 Old 08-14-2007, 07:37 AM

Liked: 10
I just acquired a recertified C340 with NT8 fully functional. The unit works nicely in my car and Ive climbed the learning curve to the point that Ive registered the unit with Garmin and requested the newer NT 2008.

I was notified this morning after having sent CS at Garmin my proof of purchase that I would be recieving the update (NT2008) later this month at no cost.

Since the new product is relational to the older and a proprietary product to boot, I doubt that the company wants to be too specific in their claims of what's new.
I live near a Supermarket that's been there since 1938 and it doesnt appear on the POI list while newer markets with the same name appear in their correct location. If you think about how many Potential POIs there are in the US, its a daunting task to update them all. The fact that it is attempted every couple of years is a good thing.

So far Im having a positive experience with the unit and look forwart to my 4k mile road trip next month.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-15-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you've purchased a Garmin GPS in the last 60 days you can get the upgrade for free by calling Garmin (they'll require you to fax in your receipt).

I bought my Nuvi 660 last year so I had to pay for the upgrade; it cost me about $50. The maps are a definite improvement. Previously, the Nuvi suggested a few routes in my area (VA / MD) which I felt weren't the fastest possible routes. Now with the 2008 update installed, the Nuvi suggests the routes I would have picked.

The prior maps were 'good' as of ~April 2005. The maps in City Navigator 2008 appear to be 'good' as of ~October 2006. If you're looking for map information on roads completed since then, you'll probably want to wait for the update next year.

You can always view the latest version of the Navteq maps (used by Garmin) at Google Maps. The routing at Google should also be identical to what you get with a Garmin using the same maps; that allows you to compare the routing you have now to that what you would get with a map update. In October, check Google Maps to see what maps and routing you'll get with City Navigator 2009.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-28-2007, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can any of you tell me what the maps are dated?

I got an e-mail from Navteq today about changes in my area that I informed them of. They said the changes were made as of March 07 in their database but on Google and Garmin they're still out of date.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-28-2007, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

Can any of you tell me what the maps are dated?

I got an e-mail from Navteq today about changes in my area that I informed them of. They said the changes were made as of March 07 in their database but on Google and Garmin they're still out of date.

As per above, the 2008 City Navigator maps are no newer than 4Q 2006.

You'll have to wait for 2009 City Navigator if you want to see the map changes for March, 2007 on your Garmin.

I'm not sure about Google. I was told previously that they used the latest version of the Navteq maps.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-31-2007, 06:22 PM

I recieved the free update yesterday and was unsuccessful on repeated tries with my computer to update the gps. It would take all the info and then flash an error screen without explaining what the problem might be.

I called Garmin support early this morning and found out that my only need was for high speed internet, along with the stated computer requirements. I dont have high speed internet at home, no need, til now. I later found a computer with all the needed features and the update took 40 minutes. I drove home with the new updated NT 2008 gps on my dash. The entire 1.9 miles. I will be leaving for a 4k mile trip mid week.

Apparently the gps flashes a checksum back to the mothership at each turn of the map in order to keep the whole operation propietary. Clever but inconvenient for me-gotter done nevertheless. Had the operation of updating been more convenient ie on dialup, I wouldnt have had a scowl of dissappointment nearly all day.

The update dvd erases the maps on the unit's harddrive first, then , without
being able to complete the update, the gps is as useless as a hockey puck in summer. There is no way to preserve or return to the previous software.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page