Garmin Nuvi 750 or Magellan 4250 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 82 Old 10-17-2007, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone actually purchased either of these units. gpsmagazine is very high on Garmin. They identified several weaknesses of Magellan's earlier 4050 but I have no way to tell if the new 4250 is just repackaged or if they have corrected some of the shortcomings. I you have purchased a Nuvi, can you direct me to who may have them available?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 Old 10-24-2007, 12:53 AM

Bill,

I picked up a Nuvi 760 on Oct. 11th from CC. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the unit that you may have.

TTx
post #3 of 82 Old 10-24-2007, 02:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Magellans have improved in this generation, but they still have a ways to go before they can match Garmin. At the moment, the 750 and 760 are really in a league of their own.
post #4 of 82 Old 10-24-2007, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

ttexas & bfdtv,

Thanks for the input. My problem is that I have chosen the Garmin 750 as the unit that I want to buy. I am leaving Nov 1 for an approximately 4000k trip and obviously want the unit before then. I discovered the 760 being available at CC but since I make few calls while driving, the extra cash for bluetooth doesn't make sense for me. I actually ordered the 750 from tigergps but they have not received them yet. I also am not sure they are not a company capitalizing on tigerdirect's reputation?? If anyone finds the 750 actually in stock, I would appreciate the heads up. Some of the sites like nextag have identified that places show in stock but when you go to the site, thye don't really have it.
post #5 of 82 Old 10-24-2007, 11:56 AM

Bill, CC is the only verified place that I know of that's currently stocking them. For what it's worth, the 760 also has the traffic piece. I'd recommend watching crutchfield.com, as their rep is impeccable, if sometimes overpriced. They provide outstanding customer service after the sale and have been around for a decades.

TTx
post #6 of 82 Old 10-24-2007, 11:59 AM

My parents and sister have the new MAgellan Maestro's (4040 and 4000) and love them...I've used them and found them to be quite accurate and very handy...especially like having the AAA data loaded.

They just released a huge software update last month and it added more features and cleaned up some of the maps etc.

BTW..CC offers 10% all items in the store if you belong to AAA...
post #7 of 82 Old 10-24-2007, 12:59 PM

Bill, You might be in luck. SharperImage has the 750 in stock on their website. Good luck.

TTx
post #8 of 82 Old 10-27-2007, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

I ordered the Garmin Nuvi 750 yesterday at 4:30 PM and received it this morning at 10:00 AM from Gpsnow.com. They just received them yesterday. I paid the extra $28 to get it that fast because I need to assure that they were indeed in stock and I'm leaving for vacation on Nov 1. They have free delivery if you can wait or 2 day for $2. Haven't even tried it yet but wanted everyone to know where it can be found and that I received outstanding service so far.
post #9 of 82 Old 10-27-2007, 11:10 AM

Good for you, Bill. We expect a full report on your travels with the 750 upon your return. Happy trailing!

TTx
post #10 of 82 Old 10-27-2007, 02:42 PM

Wow...that 750 is a pricey devil...plus no Bluetooth?

Wonder what makes it so special that it's priced so much more than machines that are costing less and offer more features? Brand name perhaps....

Heck the new widescreen Magellan 4040 and 4050 have more useful features (IMO)and is at least $150-200 less...has Bluetooth, Navteq maps (as does Nuvi), auto day-night, built in traffic (4050), built in AAA POI's, voice command, it doensn't have MP3 but who really needs that gimmick on a GPS machine....

Well I sure hope it works out for ya...still looks like a pretty solid machine....
post #11 of 82 Old 10-28-2007, 01:08 AM

The nuvi 700 series will have multi-destination sorting as well as walking navigation back to your parked vehicle. Whenever you remove it from its rack, it will automatically notice where you are, thus you can find your car the next time you go to burning man no matter how zonked you are.

Also bread crumbs, and misc. software stuff.

Also the MSN features look nice if they work...I'm not sure how you normally get these...at least one on-line dealer gives you a free subscript...it seems to be something the MSN people says comes with the hardware.

With it in areas where it works, it is supposed to tell you gas prices and "now showing" at the movies....I believe the MSN stuff when I see it.

Garmin has a card you can get to be guided to cheap buys...but the reviews I have seen have been terrible...I wonder if the MSN is the same way or not.
post #12 of 82 Old 10-28-2007, 02:10 AM

The TMC traffic receiver looks to be more beneficial to me. If it proves to be so, then I'll sign up after the first 3 month free pass. Otherwise, I'll always have a rather advanced power source for the car. The Nuvi 7xx are compatible with MSN. It seems that Garmin is drifting away from their service and towards straight up TMC. But if MSN service for your area is beneficial to you, then it will work seamlessly with the maps. I just wouldn't get too much use from it. As for the discount program, I've read many comments that it greatly disappoints. Just the overhead of maintaining something like that would be a headache for a company to take on, unless it was already branded AAA or AARP, but I have no interest in this program.

TTx
post #13 of 82 Old 11-17-2007, 08:11 PM

I just came home with 2 units. I intend only to keep one. My Sam's Club had the Nuvi 750 for five hundred, while BB had the the 4250 for four fifty.

I'm still undecided on which one to keep. If I open the 4250, I have to pay restock. Anyone have any practical experience with the 4250 vs. garmin's units?

Any help is appreciated. Sounds like magellan isn't as loved as garmin based on the info I've seen. Thanks!
post #14 of 82 Old 11-18-2007, 05:05 PM

If you are a costco member, they'll have the 4250 on sale next weekend for about a hundred less than you paid for it, around three sixty. I just picked up a garmin 680 from there too, for four eighty, I'm going to run them side by side when i pick up the 4250 and just keep one. the MSN seems to work very well up her in Portland OR. I get gas prices and movie times and the traffic info seems to be ok, there hasn't been any major incidents to really test it though.

Eagles may soar to great heights, but weasels seldom get sucked into jet engines.....
post #15 of 82 Old 11-20-2007, 10:44 AM

Like the last poster, I picked up a nuvi 680 and maestro 4250 from costco and am running them side by side. Amazing how they so routinely plan different routes to the same destination. Not sure which is better though...common wisdom is Nuvi, but so far it's split 50/50. Haven't registered the 4250 as i'm not sure what costco will say about that if i return...so i haven't tried the magellans traffic...but the msn coverage with the 680 is....spotty at best...looks like there are a lOT of complaints on the msn service...

Geez, leave me alone already, I have a PSThree!
Geez, leave me alone already, I have a Tosh AyToo!
Yes, I'm format neutral...Yes I post on "both sides"...
post #16 of 82 Old 11-20-2007, 11:10 AM

Well, it sounds like costco won't be a problem if i need to return, so i'm trying to register with magellan so i can try the traffic feature. This is not looking good for magellan. After setting up a user account, I can't register the bloody thing. It keeps kicking me out and asking me to re-log in. When I finally got close it told me the serial number confirmation (type it in twice) didn't match...well, i quadruple checked, and it did match. Tried entering again, and...kicked me out to relog in again. This has been going on since before I sent my last message. Also have their support on the phone. Well, i'm waiting for the next "support engineer" to actually pick up the phone...sigh...

post #17 of 82 Old 11-20-2007, 11:47 AM

Bought the Magellan 4250 on Saturday 11/17. I am taking it back today, 11/20.
No. 1 Complaint: Freezes all the time!!
It is running Windows CE 5.0, probably that is the cause...but i have not really researched to know what OS the other ones run. Sometimes it takes quite a number of tries to turn it on. You would push power button on, and nothing would happen for several times.

No. 2: Phone Menu completely locked Up....
Called Magellan Tech Support....and they suggest returning it for repair! (I will return to BB store!).

I primarily bought it for phone function as well...since in DC they require hands free operation, and i hate bluetooth headsets. Paired it OK with my phone...which is listed as supported, and unit menu choice also includes it (Sony Ericsson W800). Now when i click on phone menu, unit simply talks back to me "phone, phone, phone..." but never gets into phone menu. Couple unit resets (thru pin-hole) with tech support did not help either. Interestingly, on their website FAQ....unit lockup/freezes procedures are listed. So they must be very much aware of the issue.

Other than that, unit is pretty accurate, and re-calculates route very very quickly. It also notices fairly quickly (i would say less than 5mtrs) if you miss a turn...and recalculates. Night mode is excellent. Excellent finish, fairly thin in construction. If it were not for the lockups, i would keep it. I was so fond of Hertz Neverlost system (based on Magellan), so i resisted temptation to go Garmin when it came time to purchase my own. BB had it for $499!! oucch, but good price on 4yr warranty of just $49.00. Based on the lockup defect...hopefully no-restocking fee!

I had previously bought a TomTom XL-S.....which i have also returned.
The TomTom XL-S was more feature rich than this Magellan 4250. Only problems i had with it was the fact that it took 5-7mins to acquire satellite signals when coming from powerdown, and the fact that its "bluetooth capable" feature did not include "hands-free calling" which is a must for me. Additionally, the TeleAtlas maps (used by TomTom) dont seems to be as comprehensive as the Navteq ones used by Magellan&Garmin. there were a couple of places i went to (around Irving, TX) that have been around for more than 5-6 yrears, and TomTom maps simply did not have them! A realtor i was driving around with had a Magellan, it had those maps.
The menus on it are very user friendly....you could even create an itenerary on your PC and transfer it to TomTom. While driving...the screen had lots of useful trip information all on the main screen....including current speed, ave. speed, distance to destination & time...and nicely tucked into place.
On the Magellan.....you need to navigate 2-3 menus dip to get to trip computer...and even then, it is limited info.

So now i am back into research....my upper limit is $500....i doubt i will be able to find a garmin with bluetooth, handsfree capable & widescreen at that price range. Hopefully with holiday shopping bargains, i might be able to accomplish something.
post #18 of 82 Old 11-20-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laiser View Post

Bought the Magellan 4250 on Saturday 11/17. I am taking it back today, 11/20.
No. 1 Complaint: Freezes all the time!!
It is running Windows CE 5.0, probably that is the cause...but i have not really researched to know what OS the other ones run. Sometimes it takes quite a number of tries to turn it on. You would push power button on, and nothing would happen for several times.

No. 2: Phone Menu completely locked Up....
Called Magellan Tech Support....and they suggest returning it for repair! (I will return to BB store!).

I primarily bought it for phone function as well...since in DC they require hands free operation, and i hate bluetooth headsets. Paired it OK with my phone...which is listed as supported, and unit menu choice also includes it (Sony Ericsson W800). Now when i click on phone menu, unit simply talks back to me "phone, phone, phone..." but never gets into phone menu. Couple unit resets (thru pin-hole) with tech support did not help either. Interestingly, on their website FAQ....unit lockup/freezes procedures are listed. So they must be very much aware of the issue.

Other than that, unit is pretty accurate, and re-calculates route very very quickly. It also notices fairly quickly (i would say less than 5mtrs) if you miss a turn...and recalculates. Night mode is excellent. Excellent finish, fairly thin in construction. If it were not for the lockups, i would keep it. I was so fond of Hertz Neverlost system (based on Magellan), so i resisted temptation to go Garmin when it came time to purchase my own. BB had it for $499!! oucch, but good price on 4yr warranty of just $49.00. Based on the lockup defect...hopefully no-restocking fee!

I had previously bought a TomTom XL-S.....which i have also returned.
The TomTom XL-S was more feature rich than this Magellan 4250. Only problems i had with it was the fact that it took 5-7mins to acquire satellite signals when coming from powerdown, and the fact that its "bluetooth capable" feature did not include "hands-free calling" which is a must for me. Additionally, the TeleAtlas maps (used by TomTom) dont seems to be as comprehensive as the Navteq ones used by Magellan&Garmin. there were a couple of places i went to (around Irving, TX) that have been around for more than 5-6 yrears, and TomTom maps simply did not have them! A realtor i was driving around with had a Magellan, it had those maps.
The menus on it are very user friendly....you could even create an itenerary on your PC and transfer it to TomTom. While driving...the screen had lots of useful trip information all on the main screen....including current speed, ave. speed, distance to destination & time...and nicely tucked into place.
On the Magellan.....you need to navigate 2-3 menus dip to get to trip computer...and even then, it is limited info.

So now i am back into research....my upper limit is $500....i doubt i will be able to find a garmin with bluetooth, handsfree capable & widescreen at that price range. Hopefully with holiday shopping bargains, i might be able to accomplish something.

Did you load the newest software to the 4250?
post #19 of 82 Old 11-20-2007, 12:18 PM

Well, on their support site, the Maestro 4250 is not even listed!
I spoke to tech support as well and asked whether there are any updates i should be applying....and he said it just came out...no updates currently.
post #20 of 82 Old 11-20-2007, 12:22 PM

Ahhhh...the 4000 and 4040 our family owns had a big update and it added a bunch of stuff and cleaned up some duplicate stuff they had in maps etc...if the 4250 just came out, then I bet it will be a bit before it gets it's first update.

We're still loving our Magellans though.
post #21 of 82 Old 11-20-2007, 12:25 PM

Are all magellan's windows based? Garmins'? Anybody knows?
I tried to stay loyal to Magellan brand...maybe will give them a second chance and simply take a similar replacement unit.....hoping this was 1/1000 bad.
post #22 of 82 Old 11-20-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laiser View Post

Are all magellan's windows based? Garmins'? Anybody knows?
I tried to stay loyal to Magellan brand...maybe will give them a second chance and simply take a similar replacement unit.....hoping this was 1/1000 bad.

The two Maestro's we have are WIndows....I think all the Maestro's are.
post #23 of 82 Old 11-20-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Costco has the Garmin 680 for less than $500 that pretty much fits those needs... none of my local costcos seem to have the 4250 in stock to try out yet....

Bluetooth connectivity on the Garmin 680 is excellent, it copied my phonebook across from my sony 810i so I can dial my contacts from the screen. Speakerphone clarity on the unit is very good, I managed to find a spot of fairly clear FM bandwidth, so now it comes through my car stereo quite effectively. Any POI with a phone number can also be dialed from the screen which is nice.

Grumbles... I haven't found a way for it to display POIs along my route, like my old palm TomTom could....sometimes I'm driving around looking and will be taken with an urge for coffee or an ATM and it's nice to see those displayed en route so you can just pull off whenever you feel like it, as opposed to having to choose a specific one as your destination...

Eagles may soar to great heights, but weasels seldom get sucked into jet engines.....
post #24 of 82 Old 11-20-2007, 04:23 PM

Anyone know if the new firmware update to the Maestros added the ability to add waypoints to a trip in progress? My Garmin based gps (Kenwood DVD\\Nav car stereo) lets me do this. My dad's 4040 that we used on a recent trip always replaced the final dest with the waypoint dest we were trying to add. I was actually looking into the 4250 for the wife's car. One thing I didn't like was the bluetooth not importing the phone book. Other than those 2 things, the 4040 worked awesome and the "Exit POIs" is really nice too.
post #25 of 82 Old 11-20-2007, 08:39 PM

i took a look at Garmin 680 at BB when i returned the Magellan. i dont like the fact that one has to enter city before an address. i am in one of the places were "real" city name has changed more than 4 times over the years...so if you enter one city you might not get the street name. Magellan did it by zipcode...which is a perfect "primarykey" when it comes to an address. I wish Garmin had a menu to say enter address by a. zipcode b. city......
post #26 of 82 Old 11-21-2007, 06:40 AM

The 4250 power adpter plugs into the unit itself, not into the cradle, so removing it is more of a pain than the garmin, but not by much as the clip in the mount itself makes it easy to remove...

The garmins display is just glare free...when the sun hit both units, the magellan faded a bit, but the garmin was just as colorful as ever.

The map data itself on the garmin is ugly, but by increasing the detail to make and giong to a 2d view, it cleans up...but i still prefer the magellan map style.

Bluetooth on the garmin 680 is great. Pairs well with my razor, loads the address book. Vastly superior to the magellan.

Menu system is great with the garmin. Just overall easier to use, though the magellan is pretty good and its entry of addresses is very nice.

Haven't tried the magellans traffic, and the MSN for the nuvi is a bit flaky, but seems to generally work, though accuracy and timlieness is questionable. I think thats true for all traffic...

I believe i'll keep the nuvi, and get an extra mount for my other car...popping it out and switching it will be very easy...

post #27 of 82 Old 11-21-2007, 01:14 PM

Still haven't found the Magellan at a local costco, but..... just got their latest flyer, the tomtom 720 has gone down to three sixty nine and they'll be selling the tt920 from 11/26 for three ninety nine !! I'm going to order a tt920 and if I can find one, a 4250 to run next to the garmin.

I still like my Garmin other than I really would like to be able to select and display POI's in the map view as I'm driving, rather than have to go into the POI menu, pick a specific POI and then set a course for it. It would also be nice to have an arrow showing the distance to, and direction of, the next turn, instead of just "turn in X miles" as well as vehicle speed.

Other minor niggles...it would be nice to have the option of selecting some of the MSN functions from the map view, such as Gas prices or a phone icon so you could initiate a call without having to go into sub menus. It seems to take around 2 minutes each morning to lock onto satellites as I set off from home, might not be a big deal, but I come to 2 major junctions, one each way from my door, within that time...

I do like the maps though and the mount is very nice....

post #28 of 82 Old 11-28-2007, 04:25 PM

i was thinking which to buy, garmin 6xx series or 4250 but i finally got the 4250. the unit so far so good. 2 comments : 1. the adaptor plugs to the unit itself, not the cradle (it quite bothers me). 2. i own a 6000t, but the tts of the 6000t is better than the 4250.

things that i like the 4250 over garmin: 1. the map view shows you the current street and the up coming street for your next turn. 2. the map view has POI icons. just tap it and the unit will route you there. 3. it has the "next turn arrow" showing on the map view. 4. some people always complain magellan models dont have eta, 4250 has it now. the unit acquire the signal very fast, can get it within 10 seconds even you are indoor but the re-calculating (after u miss a turn) is a bit slower (slower than my 6000t, 1 second delay maybe...).

it also comes with a "Optimiz" feature in the mutli-destination. anybody knows how it works? if i put 10 locations in a trip and optimize it, it will give me the route by using my current location as the starting point and minimize the total traveling time OR i need to choose one of the 10 locations as my starting point? do i need to pick a final destination? thanks
post #29 of 82 Old 11-30-2007, 09:36 AM

Hi
I am on a strict budget. I was thinking about buying a GPS for almost three years finally I came across few great bargains at costco 680 $479.00 and Best Buy 660 $ 399.00 so I bought both and now in a dilemma which on to keep. Can someone help me decide I am confused. I am on the road once or twice a year do I need a GPS that expensive, should I return both and just wait for these sets to fall below $300 mark.HEEEEEEEEEEllllllp
Ba
post #30 of 82 Old 12-01-2007, 12:43 AM

Laiser,
Im with you
I purchased a 4250 and stuck on "systems settings" . been like this for a day. typed a message to megellan, and they want me to call them.ho hum. I like what they have to offer, but wish it would work! going to try and take it back for another. if it doesn't work, back to Garmin. Will be back with info.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page