Official Sony HDR-SR11/12 Thread - Page 104 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3091 of 3108 Old 05-08-2010, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One other question....

Is it best for me to record at SD when I plan to burn to DVD? I'm having a lot of difficulty converting AVCHD to a nice quality SD for DVD.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 3108 Old 05-08-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple sam View Post

One other question....

Is it best for me to record at SD when I plan to burn to DVD? I'm having a lot of difficulty converting AVCHD to a nice quality SD for DVD.

David

My belief is that you might as well record at the BEST recording possible, and then downconvert. I've never done any actual tests on this, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't be getting a good quality for SD. If there's a "trail," it sounds like a field order problem. I agree, the 1080i60 choice is right for the preset, but what are your mpg output settings?

And the camera is absolutely not progressive. Your progressive output looked good, because well, it was progressive, which makes me think you had a field order problem when you exported non-progressive (I don't export anything progressive though, because it never looks as smooth as the original interlaced).

So either your preset has the field order backwards, or your export has it backwards. Try messing with that.
post #3093 of 3108 Old 05-08-2010, 08:36 PM

Hi nathan118

Thank you so much for the quick response. I've been having trouble getting an answer that applies directly to my situation, so I greatly appreciate it.

So I did what you suggested, and here's where I'm at...

There are no options to set the field order in the presets, so I played around with them in the export settings. Upper has the worst results, lower isn't bad and 'using source setting' isn't bad... but they can be quite 'square-ish' around the outlines of a person's body. I'm not sure if I'm describing it well, but it's like the old atari video games - they had a squareness in the graphics - that's what it looks like sometimes, particularly with lots of movement.

I'll give you more info to work with. I chose non-anamorphic for the preset. I chose the quality to be the highest, with the box for 'Use Maximum Render Quality' checked. VBR, 2 Pass, Target Bitrate 7, Max Bitrate 8.

I have left the box for 'Use Frame Blending' unchecked and the Display Format has 'Drop Frame' checked, rather than 'Non Drop Frame'.

I have also left the box beside 'Render at Maximum Depth' unchecked.

Thanks again. I hope this helps!

Cheers,

David
post #3094 of 3108 Old 05-09-2010, 06:00 PM

Hello again.

So I have adjusted my settings in many different ways now... lowered the quality from 5 to 4, raised the minimum bitrate from 2.8 to 4, checked 'Render at Maximum Depth' and the artifacts are still there.

Are you absolutely sure that my video is not progressive? Because all exports I have made with interlaced settings have artifacts and the progressive video doesn't have them.

I've attached screenshots of my sequence settings and export settings, if that helps.

Thanks!

David
LL
LL
post #3095 of 3108 Old 05-09-2010, 06:01 PM

Oh, and the sequence settings confirm that the field order should be set to 'Upper'.

Thanks again.

David
post #3096 of 3108 Old 05-11-2010, 07:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

One other question....

David

I have played around with this in various ways. (For testing, I use Sony Vegas Platinum 9.0, a PS 3, a Samsung 1920x1080 60Hz screen, a no-name DVD player and an old CRT screen.)

In general, to get best SD results while being able to archive original HD files, I record in 1080i (HD) and then render to wmv at 1280x720 30p. I then import these files into Architect to produce the SD 720x480 DVD discs. This process takes take time and means converting into the wmv Microsoft format and then out of it. I have found however that this produces the smoothest SD moving image, playable on any DVD player. (It also conserves the 5.1 sound - still playable regardless of DVD player sound system.)

Another alternative is to use PMB to render the original m2ts file to a DVD disc but then you are severely restricted in editing.

IMHO, the main weakness of AVC-HD now is editing files.
post #3097 of 3108 Old 05-21-2010, 01:08 PM

Hey guys! I'm moving on to photography and letting my SR12 go!! lol She's been great to me but its time to move on, I'm including alot of goodies, so if your interested here's the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D2
post #3098 of 3108 Old 06-23-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:

Oh, and the sequence settings confirm that the field order should be set to 'Upper'.

Thanks again.

David

Sorry David, haven't been back in a long time!

I'm not sure why this is so complicated. Under mpeg, there should be DVD presets. Those should work just fine. If you're using the default 1080i footage off the camera, just pick widescreen NTSC. It should be fine.

How are you playing it back that makes you think there is something wrong?

I'm a Sony Vegas guy...so my knowledge of Premiere is zilch.
post #3099 of 3108 Old 09-27-2010, 10:51 AM

Hi all, I apologize in advance if this has been asked and answered already. I'm using my SR12 to film football games which results in 90-100+ clips about 8-15 seconds in length. When I combine them all using latest version of Nero Ultimate and its "Smart Rendering", the resulting video in the file seems to hang from time to time (although the audio continues). The video eventually picks back up and gets back on track. It's almost as is Nero's "Smart Rendiner" is having problems with the file break between some of the clips. The same thing occurs if I burn directly to DVD. I've tried two other editors (Corel, Pinnacle) but they don't seem to "Smart Render" and as a result the quality is reduced. Any ideas on how to combine these all these clips cleanly without re-rendering?

Thanks Gary
post #3100 of 3108 Old 09-30-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaldes View Post

Hi all, I apologize in advance if this has been asked and answered already. I'm using my SR12 to film football games which results in 90-100+ clips about 8-15 seconds in length. When I combine them all using latest version of Nero Ultimate and its "Smart Rendering", the resulting video in the file seems to hang from time to time (although the audio continues). The video eventually picks back up and gets back on track. It's almost as is Nero's "Smart Rendiner" is having problems with the file break between some of the clips. The same thing occurs if I burn directly to DVD. I've tried two other editors (Corel, Pinnacle) but they don't seem to "Smart Render" and as a result the quality is reduced. Any ideas on how to combine these all these clips cleanly without re-rendering?

Thanks Gary

Well to answer my own question, the best way to "clean" the clips before combining them is to import them from the camera using Sony's latest "Picture Motion Browser" software that can be found on their website. The software allows you to import and combine them cleanly, although you have to write the results to an AVCHD disc to get a combined file. I guess the software cleans up any mess left by the camera when recording.
post #3101 of 3108 Old 10-05-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMO55 View Post

Soonerfann,

I am getting the same error "0070-8012-8013-0000C01B" when I try to write a 1.8 Gb AVCHD file to DVD.

When I try a small 170 Mb file the error does not appear.

Did you find any clues sofar?

Or anyone else?

Can you try a DL DVD? Seriously ...
www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1270479

2x is needed to get by the errors (under diff circumstances, but maybe urs as well).
post #3102 of 3108 Old 10-05-2010, 12:43 PM

Hi all
Wondering if anyone could please help - just uploaded some footage to my pc, turned off camcorder (SR12E) and then turned it back on to record. However, LCD or viewfinder won't come on, and the red light above the pro duo slot flashes twice slowly, then around 7 times quickly. I guess this is an error code, but does anyone know what it represents?
Thanks
post #3103 of 3108 Old 10-14-2010, 06:33 PM

hey there ,
i recently purchased the sr11 and i need some advice,
i use sony vegas for editing,
so i import a file to my computer, It looks full HD when i watch the raw file, and its only about 10mbs in size.
how can i render in vegas pro for the video to look the same as the raw .MTS file? if i render it in higher qualities, the file comes out as over 3 gigs!
10mbs to 3gigs? i dont understand how that works.
but im basically asking how i can render it to look the same as the raw file
post #3104 of 3108 Old 10-28-2010, 08:20 AM

I bought a Sony HDR-SR11 last year, and really love the HD video quality, but there are two things that are really bothers me. First- " how to remove the date and time stamp from my recordings?" another question I have is " what is the best way to upload video to youtube or facebook?" usually it would say that my files are too large to upload.
Thanks so much for helping me out, so I can continue love my sony camcorder.
post #3105 of 3108 Old 10-30-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breckorbust View Post

hey there ,
i recently purchased the sr11 and i need some advice,
i use sony vegas for editing,
so i import a file to my computer, It looks full HD when i watch the raw file, and its only about 10mbs in size.
how can i render in vegas pro for the video to look the same as the raw .MTS file? if i render it in higher qualities, the file comes out as over 3 gigs!
10mbs to 3gigs? i dont understand how that works.
but im basically asking how i can render it to look the same as the raw file

If you don't get an answer here, I suggest you ask your question in one of the Sony Vegas forums at Sony Creative Software.

If you are using Vegas Pro, this is the link:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/....asp?ForumID=4

If you are using Vegas Movie Studio, this is the link:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...asp?ForumID=12

Explain that your camcorder records in 1920x1080i AVCHD and state the output target medium that will be your end product (DVD disc, Blu-ray disc, youtube, etc.).

Vegas can retain the original quality of your clips (or close enough you won't detect a difference) and maintain approx. the same file size. You just need to get the Vegas project properties and render settings to match what you want to do.
post #3106 of 3108 Old 12-02-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradforj View Post

After being told that this forum is the best place to post my discovery, I would like to tell you guys about a recent project of mine.

I recently bought the HDR-SR11 and being the gadget junky that I am, I had to open it up. By removing only four screws I had access to the HDD. This really got my imagination going. It uses a ZIF connector, and there are solid state (SSD) drives out there that use the ZIF connection. Could the SR11/12 be converted to a solid state camcorder?

Well, I got a Samsung 64GB SSD from the big internet flea market, item 150263664824 (I cannot post URLs yet due to being new here, but this is where I got it and I don't know where else to point you. These are $1300 drives, so it was a good deal. After having it overnighted, I had the drive swapped into the SR11 in under 10 minutes. Now the moment of truth!

Oh no...a c:13:02 error! So I go ahead and format the drive through the on screen menu. The error is still flashing, so I power cycle the camera. The error is gone! I now have 467 minutes of recording time in Full HD, 948 minutes HDHQ, 1151 minutes HDSP and 1465 HDLP.

So there you have it. The first SSD solid state camera in the world, to my knowledge. Battery life should improve due to an SSD being flash-based, because there are no moving parts. Response time of the camera seems a bit improved because the disk does not have to spin up to be accessed. Any noise coming from the HDDs internal movement will be eliminated in videos.

I recently upgraded my HDR-SR11 to 64GB SSD (PhotoFast G-Monster v4) and it works great. Everything is much faster now, no noise from the drive and no more issues with buffer overflow when in loud/shaking environments.

I have pretty much brand new Toshiba 60GB drive that I pulled from SR11 if anyone needs it.
post #3107 of 3108 Old 06-26-2011, 01:25 PM

Try reducing the burn speed from the settings. You need to manually change it to the speed that is specified on the disc that you are trying to burn unto. In my case, it was 4x. I changed it and now it works.
post #3108 of 3108 Old 09-15-2011, 08:21 PM

anyone uses a 35mm adapter for sr11/12?

I have an Sr11 and I want to build a rig for it. Anyone has a pics of their rig, can you post the links? thank you in advance.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page