The "Official" Canon Vixia HF10 / HF100 Owner's Thread - Page 127 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3781 of 3809 Old 02-15-2013, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know where I can purchase a new zoom switch for my Vixia HF100. Canon parts is out of stock and inventory control is uncertain whether they will be manufacturing more. They said I could send it in for repair. I said if they have switches to use for repair, why can't I buy one of those. You know the answer.

This is obviously a design flaw because there are posts all over the internet about them failing. I'm not going to sink $250+ into a 4 year-old camcorder that I can fix with a $25 part. I'd even consider trying to open the switch and fixing it myself. Has anyone tried this? Either way, I'm fairly sure Canon is off my future purchase list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 3809 Old 02-16-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewaharris View Post

Does anyone know where I can purchase a new zoom switch for my Vixia HF100. Canon parts is out of stock and inventory control is uncertain whether they will be manufacturing more. They said I could send it in for repair. I said if they have switches to use for repair, why can't I buy one of those. You know the answer.

This is obviously a design flaw because there are posts all over the internet about them failing. I'm not going to sink $250+ into a 4 year-old camcorder that I can fix with a $25 part. I'd even consider trying to open the switch and fixing it myself. Has anyone tried this? Either way, I'm fairly sure Canon is off my future purchase list.

BUMP

Same problem here. Cant find the zoom switch.

Let me know drew when you opened it :-)
Ill will try it then.
post #3783 of 3809 Old 02-16-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I'm not going to sink $250+ into a 4 year-old camcorder that I can fix with a $25 part. I'd even consider trying to open the switch and fixing it myself. Has anyone tried this? Either way, I'm fairly sure Canon is off my future purchase list.

You can look on ebay, sometimes they sell broken camcorders "for parts only". I don't know if you can get a broken HF100 for $25, but it wouldn't cost $250.

Note that the rocker switch from the HF10 and HF11 should be the same and perhaps other models.

Maybe even put out a Craigslist ad: "looking for broken Canon HF100 (HF10/HF11) camcorder".

You can also email Canon and ask if their loyalty program applies to camcorders. FWIU, the program allows someone to trade in a broken camera and get a refurbished one for under or close to what it would cost to repair it.

I know it applies to DSLR's and some compact cameras..you could contact and ask.
post #3784 of 3809 Old 05-08-2013, 02:21 PM

I had the zooming problem. Hated it. Fixed it.

I too was told the cost of sending in my HF10 for Cannon repair. I asked if I could just buy the zoom switch and they said yes! I do not remember how much it was but I think it was less than $30! Definitely not the $200 plus dollars they charge just to look at your camera!

I purchased a six dollar multi-screwdriver from Home Depot (which I love) and was able to replace the switch easily. There's about fifteen screws to remove to get to it. I think there is a youtube video out there that shows you how to take it apart. If you're reasonably savy with this stuff I say go for it. Just be careful with the short ribbon cable connected to the switch assembly.

Zooming problem fixed!

Good luck to all.

Ross
post #3785 of 3809 Old 05-09-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
rossfree,

Welcome to AVS and that was a nice first post.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #3786 of 3809 Old 05-09-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I wonder if it would be a good idea to pick up this part now, before I eventually need it? I don't use the canon that much lately, but would hate to have that switch break and find the part is no longer available.
post #3787 of 3809 Old 05-09-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

I wonder if it would be a good idea to pick up this part now, before I eventually need it? I don't use the canon that much lately, but would hate to have that switch break and find the part is no longer available.

That's probably not a bad idea. My HF100 doesn't get used that much either.

So would we just called Canon CS to get this?

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #3788 of 3809 Old 05-16-2013, 01:56 PM

Ross- Do you have the phone number you called? Their Factory Service Center in Jamesburg NJ has been telling me that it's out of stock and will likely remain so in perpetuity. Also, what did you ask for? I've seen the part listed as a Zoom Toggle Switch, Zoom Rocker Switch, and a Replacement Zoom Key Assembly.
post #3789 of 3809 Old 05-16-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Either way, I'm fairly sure Canon is off my future purchase list.

I bought a Sony and couldn't be happier with it. Still want to fix my zoom-challenged HF100 for a second angle, but I've otherwise cut the cord with Canon.
post #3790 of 3809 Old 06-29-2013, 03:19 AM

Hi there, we (an Italian no-profit organization) own 5 x HF100s, so it would be great to have an hacked firmware like one described in another forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACC 
It's possible to upgrade the CANON HF100 firmware using the latest HF11 firmware (needs hacking).

Using the latest SD-card (class 6) and HF100 (with hacked HF11 firmware) it's possible to get the highest video bitrate (better quality) and additional features.

In practise this means that it's possible to get all the latest features of HF11 on a much cheaper HF100.

This claim don't seem a fake since both latest firmwares (1.0.1.0 for HF11 & 1.0.3.0 for HF100) has been released the same date (01-Jul-11) and are exactly identical:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon Europe website 
Fixes have been made so that these models are now able to record, play back, and copy movies in FXP mode with SD or SDHC memory cards that have an SD Speed Class of Class 10. Due to the camera system, the characters "Class 10" cannot be displayed on the card information screen in playback mode, but they can be displayed in camera mode.

...any hint/news ?
post #3791 of 3809 Old 06-29-2013, 04:25 PM

Hi all. Simboo... Sorry to take so long getting back. I no longer have the cannon device number you asked for. It is likely the same one you found. I don't get that they can tell you they don't have any more. I hope that's a temporary situation.
post #3792 of 3809 Old 06-29-2013, 04:32 PM

...also, I don't know the official name but 'zoom switch' should be good enough to get you the right part.

Side note... If you don't have a monopod get one. I own several. I record my kids theatrical shows from the back zooming in close and moving with the characters on stage. So much more interesting than setting it up on a tripod. Keeps the jitters in check but allows fluid movement following as the move around on stage. Fifteen bucks from Wally World. Just do it! :-)

Ross
post #3793 of 3809 Old 07-22-2013, 08:17 AM

So this may be a silly question, but I've never researched camcorders until this morning. We just had a little one and I want to capture some memories.

I was wondering how this 2008 camera compares to something more recent? I see it has quite the following and I may be able to get one used so I would like to know how it compares to something like a Canon Vixia HF-R400.

If anyone has a suggestion for a sub $300 camcorder for family shooting any input would be appreciated.

Arek
post #3794 of 3809 Old 07-22-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrush View Post

So this may be a silly question, but I've never researched camcorders until this morning. We just had a little one and I want to capture some memories.

I was wondering how this 2008 camera compares to something more recent? I see it has quite the following and I may be able to get one used so I would like to know how it compares to something like a Canon Vixia HF-R400.

If anyone has a suggestion for a sub $300 camcorder for family shooting any input would be appreciated.

Arek

2008/ 5 years ago is a long time in technology years.

Even though the HF R400 is the entry-level R series, it's from this year and will have more advanced technology than the HF 100. Though the image sensor is smaller on the R400, it's not going to matter too much as neither of them will be great in low light to begin with, due to their small sensors.
(Btw, if you were planning on attaching a UV filter or wide-angle lens, the HF R400 can't have extra filters or lenses added/there is no filter thread at the end of the lens.)

If you can get an HF100 for like $100 or so, I guess it's okay. But keep in mind if something goes wrong, it's not going to be worth repairing. Buying new or refurbished has less risk as you don't know the history or real condition inside a used camcorder.

For example, what if the main control/the joystick just falls off the camera from years of use. So you are taking a chance on used 5 year old camera.

I think a better choice might be a (new) point and shoot camera that shoots HD video. For example, a Panasonic LX7 or Canon Powershot S110. Or one of the Sony $200+ with image stabilization for video. They will yield results comparable to the HF100. There are many choices in that price range, actually.

If you're primarily shooting video of a child, these small cameras are more readily available for candid video and can take high resolution photos. Camcorders typically are not good for photos and the process of using a camcorder, in general, is more deliberate versus the spontaneity of always having the point and shoot camera with you.

If you really want a camcorder, you can keep an eye on Canon's store, if/when they replenish their stock of HF M50/500 camcorders (the newer mid-range models) and possibly go on sale, which they frequently do:
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/camcorders/refurbished-consumer-camcorders

They also have in stock the HF R300 for cheap.

Whatever you buy, make sure to have an archive strategy in backing up video and may want to consider this into your final cost. Putting the video files on just one hard drive is not a good idea as you want to preserve the memories and, over the years, be able to transfer the files to newer storage mediums. If you can't recover the files from that potentially one, failed drive - the files are gone. USB hard drives are affordable these days - back up the files to at least one, preferably two drives. You can also back up the files to a data DVD, blu ray, SSD hard drive, SD cards and/ USB flash memory and/or online storage.

It's not the same as the past with film that will last a long time/decades.
post #3795 of 3809 Old 07-22-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

If you can get an HF100 for like $100 or so, I guess it's okay.
Come on, $100 for a perfectly fine HD camcorder? It can easily cost $200 or more. I would not sell it for $100. The only format that it does not have is the fancy 1080p60, otherwise it is still on par in terms of frame rate, bitrate and sheer sensor resulution.

See a review here: http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/awilt/story/review_canon_vixia_hf11_avchd_camcorder/

(Yes, I know the difference between the HF11 and the HF100. It is minimal.)
seggers likes this.
post #3796 of 3809 Old 07-22-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

Come on, $100 for a perfectly fine HD camcorder? It can easily cost $200 or more. I would not sell it for $100. The only format that it does not have is the fancy 1080p60, otherwise it is still on par in terms of frame rate, bitrate and sheer sensor resulution.

See a review here: http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/awilt/story/review_canon_vixia_hf11_avchd_camcorder/

(Yes, I know the difference between the HF11 and the HF100. It is minimal.)
It's possible someone is selling it that cheap just to get rid of it. I personally wouldn't chance buying a used camcorder of that age unless it was really cheap.

In my Canon link, you can get a refurbished HF R300 for $199:
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/camcorders/refurbished-consumer-camcorders/vixia-hf-r300-refurbished

It has an updated processor and touchscreen which permits functions such as touch focus/exposure. Plus there a bunch of other functions that didn't exist in the HF 100. including Dynamic IS, MP4 recording and SDXC support.

The only thing the HF 100 has is the bigger sensor; not worth it just for that IMO unless they really need a filter thread.
post #3797 of 3809 Old 07-22-2013, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the response Ross. Unfortunately, they told me they don't expect to stock them again BUT they do have the part available if I pay to ship it to them for repair. *UGH* mad.gif
post #3798 of 3809 Old 10-02-2013, 10:26 AM

I've just bought 45MB/s class 10 SDXC-I 64GB Sandisk Extreme. It does not work with my Canon Vixia HF10. As I turn on the camera it issues an error message "Initialize only using the camcorder". When I go to menu/memory op./initialize/card/compl. Init. The camera pauses briefly and then issues the "Failed: Process terminated with error" message.

The camera is already at firmware 1.0.3.0

I discussed this with Canon, but (after first blaming the firmware version and then the Sandisk card) they resorted to placing the blame on my specific camera, suggesting I send it for repairs.

Now, I'm convinced that the camera isn't faulty. Any idea of how I make the camera work with this card?
post #3799 of 3809 Old 10-02-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Download SD Formatter and also download the manual...

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Completely format the card in PC card reader (follow the recommendations in the manual).
It will take awhile to format. Then try initializing the card in the camcorder.

Not sure if this will change anything about your situation, but worth a try.
post #3800 of 3809 Old 10-08-2013, 02:24 PM

Thanks. Did this. Did not work. Card operates OK (PC identifies it, I'm copying files to it just now) but camcorder still does not like it. Same "Initialize only using the camcorder" and "Failed: Process terminated with error" messages.

frown.gif
post #3801 of 3809 Old 10-08-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
SDXC != Class 10. Apple boxes and oranges.

AFAIK, firmware update only fixed the class check -- with the original firmware it would spit out "need class 4 or higher" when you insert class 10 card, because at that time class 6 was the highest available.

It is explained on Canon's website in plain English: "These models are now able to record, play back, and copy movies in FXP mode with Class10 SD or SDHC memory cards. "

While one may argue that SDXC is still SDHC, most people - and Canon, apparently - think that SD is SD 1.0, SDHC is SD 2.0 and SDXC is SD 3.0. Not supporting SDXC is common for older equipment, just like even older equipment does not support SDHC.

Phone support is useless in most companies - talking monkeys who know nothing beyond what is written in a cheat sheet in front of them.
post #3802 of 3809 Old 11-27-2013, 09:39 AM

I own HF100 for many years but I feel it's time to upgrade especially when there are so many good deals around.

Could someone please recommend a compact camcorder with a good/perfect picture quality? Price range could be anything up to $400 but it should be worth its money. The only issue with HF100 it had a pretty bad quality under low light conditions, I guess it was due to the small sensor?

Thanks!

post #3803 of 3809 Old 03-06-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre7 View Post

I have a stuck mode dial (for selecting between photo / video, record / playback) on my HF10 . It used to work fine, and it hasn't been banged up that I know of. The dial starting acting erratic (a little sticky at times) a few months ago, but now I can't rotate the knob at all.

Has anybody encountered a problem such as this?

Same Issue here :-( You come up with a fix?
post #3804 of 3809 Old 03-07-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis0303 View Post

Same Issue here :-( You come up with a fix?

Perhaps spraying in the dial space with a shot of WD-40?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NV8T5Y/ref=s9_al_bw_g328_i1/185-8992390-5084524
post #3805 of 3809 Old 03-07-2014, 11:59 AM

Thanks, You know I thought about that just not to sure if it would effect other parts. I have AeroKroil and WD40 http://www.kanolabs.com/penLub.html (WD would be better I'd say)
post #3806 of 3809 Old 03-07-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis0303 View Post

Thanks, You know I thought about that just not to sure if it would effect other parts. I have AeroKroil and WD40 http://www.kanolabs.com/penLub.html (WD would be better I'd say)

I don't know if WD-40 is the best option, but first thing I thought of - perhaps oils used in watch repair might be more suitable. Maybe try some searches on the subject.

Another idea - if you have a can of compressed air, maybe something is lodged in the space before considering lubricants.
post #3807 of 3809 Old 03-07-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I wouldn't think ANYTHING sprayed into would be a good idea. If you want to get it working then take it OUT of the camera FIRST and then clean it. Spraying anything in the switch would undoubtedly lead to the fluid leaking into places that most certainly won't be helped by it.

Start with the compressed air and if that doesn't work then you're faced with starting to disassemble it.
post #3808 of 3809 Old 03-07-2014, 04:57 PM

10-4 I think your right. I might just need a new dial if cleaning\spray doesn't work also. I found the part number "DG3-2437-000". Is there a place to buy parts online?

Travis
post #3809 of 3809 Old 06-28-2014, 05:59 AM

I'm new to camcorders. Years of experience with SLR and now DSLR but just now dipping my toe into video.

I have a chance to pick up a HF 100 that has had very little use for £100 with spare battery and all original accessories in original box.

Looking at reviews it the HF 100 seems to still be a pretty good camcorder.. or am I wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page