The "Official" Canon Vixia HF10 / HF100 Owner's Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 3809 Old 05-29-2008, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How cool it is to find this thread where I can come talk to other owners of the Canon HF100. Mine is on its way from newegg. Its funny but I never even though to check Newegg for it, as I usually just buy from BhPhoto...but somehow I found it and noticed the price was so good. I am a big fan of newegg.

Anyway, I'm figuring that I'll be using Vista's built in moviemaker for editing for now. I will use it with volataicHD which will first convert the AVCHD files to something more useful. But I've read that for archiving the footage, you should keep the original AVCHD files from your flash card.

By the way, did anyone read that supposedly if you were to just copy the folder conents of the flash card to a dvd-r, it should play in a PS3?? Has anyone tried that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3809 Old 05-30-2008, 05:18 AM

Soundstage,

Based on your experience, I ordered the Century Optics .55x wide angle adapter. Decided to sell my old one (that works well, but is slightly too heavy for my tiny HF10).

http://cgi.*********/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=220239965064

I'll post about my experience with it as it is supposed to arrive today from B&H. I'll report on its use with a lens hood. I have the Fotodiox one and a popular fold-down rubber one that may allow me to have the lens hood on all of the time. What did Century say about the new HD converter? Do you expect it to be superior to the one you currently use? I would think that their optics are of high enough quality to not lose much resolution with the HF10. Any thoughts?

Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundstage28 View Post

I finally uploaded a video straight from the camera - no corrections made using a Century Optics .55x 43mm wide angle adpater. I am finding f5.6 is minimum with this adapter to get everything in focus from left to right.

I also spoke with Century Optics and was told in august they will have a new HD wide angle adapter 43mm that is coming out.

I should have some more video up soon...

http://www.vimeo.com/1084975

Keep in mind that aquariums with big metal halide lights on are difficult to shoot by the nature of them. I will tr to post some video that is well exposed to better show the abilities of the adapter.

post #993 of 3809 Old 05-30-2008, 05:27 AM

Hey Marc,
I think you will like the adapter. It is small just like a camera filter. Again, I am using it for wide angle so the lack of zoom through is not an issue for me. I am curious about the hood and if it works out, meaning no vignetting at full wide I would love to see a link so I can get one.

As far as the new 43mm adapter from century optics, It is supposed to be 43mm and I doubt it will be as small as the .55x. I am sure it will be similar to their .65mm offering in terms of size but it will be .5x. And I was mistaken saying August, the email said it will be the end of July. I could not wait that long so I picked this one up.

Jim
post #994 of 3809 Old 05-30-2008, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tri1168 View Post

Hi all,

I am not sure if this is the right place, but here is my problem.

I have a 16GB SD card, which i formatted using winXP (as FAT32). when I put the card into HF100, it won't recognized the card until I initialized it. I thought then that is reasonable. I was able to view recorded video using the HF100 connected directly to the TV. using winXP, I have no problem viewing the files and its directory structure either as long as I am connecting it to the HF100.

However, when I took out the SD card and insert it into the card reader on my PC, winxp was not able to view any data on it and prompted me to format the card (as if the card was neither FAT nor NTFS).

my question are:
1. is it suppose to be like that?
2. when the card is initialized by HF100, which file system does it use? I am assuming that it's neither FAT nor NTFS but I have no way of verifying that.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thx.

I believe its Fat32. I would use the camera to initialize the card. I haven't had any problems when putting it into my Vista machine.

Flan's Theater!

Xbox Gamertag: Darth Flan
post #995 of 3809 Old 05-30-2008, 05:39 AM

Amazon.com has the HF100 on sale for $649.99 plus free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-HF100-De...2151123&sr=8-1

I might end up jumping on this deal now
post #996 of 3809 Old 05-30-2008, 05:57 AM

Jim,

I wouldn't be able to wait until then either as I like to video my friends and I in social scenes. I am often times pointing the camcorder in my direction, so wide angle is critical. I have even taken off the hand strap as I don't hold it traditionally, only use a wrist strap in case it slips.

I'll attach some pictures of the B+W and the Fotodiox hood.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/11146-REG/B_W_65045592_37mm_Screw_In_Folding_Rubber.html
I wonder if there will be a problem in offsetting the wide angle lens by screwing it into the inner threads of the hood rather than the HF10.

Marc
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #997 of 3809 Old 05-30-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarh View Post

By the way, did anyone read that supposedly if you were to just copy the folder conents of the flash card to a dvd-r, it should play in a PS3?? Has anyone tried that?

I just got my HF100 yesterday and have been trying this exact thing out on my PS3. If I stick the SD card right into the PS3 (using USB adapter), the PS3 sees it as AVCHD "disk" (or whatever) and plays all the videos in order (each video clip is a chapter).

However, if I create a data DVD and just dump the contents of the SD card (maintaining the entire folder structure), the PS3 just sees it as a data disc and shows the directory listing . You have to drill down to the STREAM directory where the actual video files are and you have to click each clip individually to play (what a pain). I must be doing something wrong and I am going to spend some time researching, as I am sure others have had this issue and have posted a solution somewhere.
post #998 of 3809 Old 05-30-2008, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
You're not doing anything wrong. The PS3 should see the disc as AVCHD, but it doesn't. Here's what you need to do.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #999 of 3809 Old 05-30-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

You're not doing anything wrong. The PS3 should see the disc as AVCHD, but it doesn't. Here's what you need to do.

Thanks a ton! I will give that a shot!
post #1000 of 3809 Old 05-30-2008, 11:11 AM

I just received mine from B&H photo. The box holding the Camcorder has no seal (it looks like an open item to me). I am really pissed since my family and I are leaving on vacation tomorrow. To those who purchased the HF100, should the box be sealed? Thanks. Those who have positive/negative experience with B&H please advice on the best approach to returning it to them. Thanks again.

Amani
post #1001 of 3809 Old 05-30-2008, 11:28 AM

The question of the box seals was asked and answered on the previous page in post 984. It is normal for Canon boxes not to have seals on them.
post #1002 of 3809 Old 05-30-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvis4me View Post

Thanks a ton! I will give that a shot!

I was able to create a DVD+RW according to those instructions and it works like a charm. Now I need to find a script online to automate that process or maybe I can figure out how to create a batch file that does it .

My next step is to research how to stream the AVCHD content to my PS3 so that all the files play in order as well... Just found a link to TwonkyMedia that I will be trying out (My TVersity and Windows Media is not doing the trick)...
post #1003 of 3809 Old 05-30-2008, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdom20 View Post

To those who purchased the HF100, should the box be sealed? Thanks. Those who have positive/negative experience with B&H please advice on the best approach to returning it to them.

Yep, no seal. And very doubtful that B&H would sell an open box as new.
post #1004 of 3809 Old 05-30-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:

I was able to create a DVD+RW according to those instructions and it works like a charm. Now I need to find a script online to automate that process or maybe I can figure out how to create a batch file that does it .

Why go thru all of those onerous manual steps when burning a DVD using the bundled ImageMaker software does the same? I imagine any speed advantage from copying the directory structure directly from the SD card is offset by the time it takes to rename files and create additional directories. When I import and burn using ImageMaker it creates a menu and individual chapters that play sequentially.
post #1005 of 3809 Old 05-30-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My next step is to research how to stream the AVCHD content...

There's gotta be a way to play these files directly from an external hard drive, isn't there?
post #1006 of 3809 Old 05-30-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post

Thanks. Are they that reputable?

Amani
post #1007 of 3809 Old 05-30-2008, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

There's gotta be a way to play these files directly from an external hard drive, isn't there?

Sure. Just drop the MTS or M2TS files on a USB drive and play off your PS3. Create a VIDEO folder to drop videos in; PICTURE for photos; MUSIC for mp3's, etc. This way, using the PS3's XMB, you'll easily see the appropriate media files listed under each type (video, photos, etc.)

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #1008 of 3809 Old 05-30-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Sure. Just drop the MTS or M2TS files on a USB drive and play off your PS3. Create a VIDEO folder to drop videos in; PICTURE for photos; MUSIC for mp3's, etc. This way, using the PS3's XMB, you'll easily see the appropriate media files listed under each type (video, photos, etc.)

Actually I tried this today and it looks like you have to press the Options key and click "Display All" to actually see the files. Once you click on the files, you can only play them clip by clip (unless I am doing something wrong). Kind of a bummer...
post #1009 of 3809 Old 05-30-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryry02 View Post

I bought a HF10 this week in a store and suspect that they sold me the unit they'd had on display, despite claiming it was brand new. Can anyone recall whether 'demo mode' was enabled on their camera when they opened the box? And how much of that stick-on protecting plastic did your camera have on it? Mine had one narrow strip to the left of the LCD. Maybe I'm just being paranoid...

I think you have nothing to worry about. That's how mine came, too.
post #1010 of 3809 Old 05-30-2008, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Sure. Just drop the MTS or M2TS files on a USB drive and play off your PS3.

Well, thanks, but I actually meant without a PS3.
post #1011 of 3809 Old 05-30-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri1168 View Post

Hi all,

I am not sure if this is the right place, but here is my problem.

I have a 16GB SD card, which i formatted using winXP (as FAT32). when I put the card into HF100, it won't recognized the card until I initialized it. I thought then that is reasonable. I was able to view recorded video using the HF100 connected directly to the TV. using winXP, I have no problem viewing the files and its directory structure either as long as I am connecting it to the HF100.

However, when I took out the SD card and insert it into the card reader on my PC, winxp was not able to view any data on it and prompted me to format the card (as if the card was neither FAT nor NTFS).

my question are:
1. is it suppose to be like that?
2. when the card is initialized by HF100, which file system does it use? I am assuming that it's neither FAT nor NTFS but I have no way of verifying that.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thx.

You didnt specify if you were using a SDHC card reader so
if you have just a sd card reader on your pc it wont read it.

You need a seperate SDHC card reader if this is the case.
post #1012 of 3809 Old 05-30-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:

but not even a stick-on protecting plastic on the camera itself, i.e., on the LCD. It was just wrapped in the foamy kind of paper.

Amani
post #1013 of 3809 Old 05-30-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:

but not even a stick-on protecting plastic on the camera itself, i.e., on the LCD. It was just wrapped in the foamy kind of paper.

I had no stick-on plastic either.... Just the foamy thing... all is well .
post #1014 of 3809 Old 05-31-2008, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's just the way Canon does it.

And yes, B&H has a very good reputation in the photography industry.
post #1015 of 3809 Old 06-01-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:

Well, thanks, but I actually meant without a PS3.

Pardon my 2 cents on this thread but here's what I've found so far about playing the files. When I got my HF100 about 3 weeks ago I didn't bother with loading the Canon software and found out that I could easily transfer the files, which were mostly test sequences to find out about the camera, right off the memory card and play them on my PC using Nero Showtime. Then I made a DVD using Nero Vision of a bunch of varying resolution/data/frame rate clips. I then took the disk to my PS3 and it played great but for an occasional pause playing 1920x1080 clips - so I think there may be issues playing 1920x1080 clips in both 60i and 30p because of data rate limitations of using standard DVDs. But one point to keep in mind about playback is that standard def DVD players don't decode MPEG-4 files as far as I can tell. To play any clip back without down-converting it you have to have an MPEG-4 decoder and that only exists in the Blu-Ray players - and possibly the HD-format players. Another thing I found out is that the camera will not put the date and time directly into the visible frame - it will show it to you during playback but there's no way to record it in the video data - it's in the time track. And that's when I discovered that if you use the Canon ImageMixer 3 software then when the clips are read into your computer from the camera each clip will be put in a folder by date and within each date's folder the clip files will be named according to the date and full time to the second at which the clip started. So now I use Imagemaker exclusively to load from the Camera - which also gives you the ability to put the clips back on the Camera which, based on my experience so far, is required if you want to play back 1920x1080 60i or 30p clips without occasional pauses that I seem to get on every such clip when played back on the PS3. Any lower resolution, like XP+ (1440x1080), plays fine. I have played clips from my camera on my HDTV via the HDMI port and via a standard DVD in AVCHD format using Nero Vision in the PS3 and the only obvious difference was the occasional pausing in 1920x1080 playback on the PS3.
post #1016 of 3809 Old 06-01-2008, 02:54 PM

Is there any way to get my PS3 to recognize a playlist? If not can I edit the file numbers to get the order of playback I want?

Thanks,
John
post #1017 of 3809 Old 06-01-2008, 08:06 PM

I just put in my order for the HF100 from Butterflyphoto $644 delivered.
2 16gb memory cards + 1 reader and the BP-819 for $248.83

Total - $892

My fiancee is going to kill me haha... this will be cheaper then hiring a videographer for our wedding and we will get to keep the camera after
post #1018 of 3809 Old 06-01-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahahlberg View Post

So now I use Imagemaker exclusively to load from the Camera - which also gives you the ability to put the clips back on the Camera which, based on my experience so far, is required if you want to play back 1920x1080 60i or 30p clips without occasional pauses that I seem to get on every such clip when played back on the PS3.

I don't have any random pauses when playing back that resolution on my ps3 using ImageMaker.
post #1019 of 3809 Old 06-02-2008, 05:11 AM

Hey all,
I have been browsing this thread and the one at camcorderinfo.com and I think I've finally decided to purchase the HF100. However, my setup at home consists of a powerful laptop (8800m gts gpu, 3gb ram, x7800 cpu) and the Infocus IN72 projector to watch movies. I don't even have a tv and the Infocus has a native resolution of 854x480.
We have a 1 yr old daughter and I currently use a flash SD camcorder but am ready to make the switch. My questions are basically about the kind of investment I am looking at to switch over so that we can watch our films. It seems a 42" plasma/lcd (for my space considerations), ps3, and hf100 are the way to go, but I want to make sure before I start investing time into the exact setup.
Has anybody else gone through a similar conversion to HD lately? Any advice? thx.
post #1020 of 3809 Old 06-02-2008, 06:33 AM

What software are you all using to edit your movies? I don't mean the software to burn your recordings to dvd, or back them up on your computer. I mean editing software; I want to chop up the footage I've shot, add a soundtrack to it & all sorts of special effects. Before I got this camera, I used Premier, Ulead & Pinnacle Studio, but I can't get any of those to work with this camera.

Also, what's the quality like when you pull a snapshot from video? I want to get some snapshots of my daughter playing soccer & I figured I'd get that from the video I've shot.

I just joined this group, but I've had my camera for almost 2 months now.
So far, I've used it for 10 soccer games, a couple birthday parties & several "around the house" entries with my daughters.
This camera is superb!
Before this, I used a digital Sony camcorder. It worked very well for me, but it finally died on me, since I was using it to record pretty much everything =)
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page