The "Official" Canon Vixia HF10 / HF100 Owner's Thread - Page 88 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2611 of 3812 Old 12-25-2008, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i hope someone might be able to help out with a problem that I'm having with my 7 month old HF100. I didn't see any posts with a similar problem and wanted to see if I'm missing something before I send to Canon for repair... This just started up today (of course on Christmas day...)

When I turn on the camcorder, it takes at least 10 to 15 minutes to get the LCD to work. I can barely see the display on the LCD but it will eventually turn on. None of the functions seem to work when the LCD is not "lit up". Everything just seems to work very slowly. I've tried resetting and the problem still comes back. Has anyone else had similar problems? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 3812 Old 12-26-2008, 09:56 AM

I can't figure out how to record a copy of the edited movie I put together of our vacation clips. We've only had the HF100 for a couple of weeks. I only have Image Maker 3 SE. I was able to import the clips and make a movie with titles. Now there is no option for burning the movie that I can find. Only to burn files from the DVD list. The only discs I had on hand are DVD+RW and when I try to burn from a DVD list it tells me that the disc format is not supported. All my files are in .m2ts format. I downloaded a trial version of Ulead MovieFactory 6 but it doesn't recognize any of my .m2ts files so I can't import any of them into that software. I'm clueless! This is the first camcorder we have owned so all this is new to me. Any help would be appreciated!
post #2613 of 3812 Old 12-26-2008, 10:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Azmama,

Pixela will only burn on '-' type discs.

Seggers

Edit:

OK, 2 things:

1. Go to the site and update the software, which is dated April 25th (the other version - which is later - isn't for the HF10/100). Looks like it adds a box telling you it's loading stuff, instead of leaving you hanging. Still takes an ice age to load an 9Gb file.....
2. In order to write back to a disc, from what I can see from my quick fiddling just now, you need to drop the files (editied or otherwise I would assume) into either the AVCHD or DVD list on the botton left of the window. Highlight the project and hit "write". From there you should be able to select your burner etc.

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #2614 of 3812 Old 12-26-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miloplays View Post

So i hope someone might be able to help out with a problem that I'm having with my 7 month old HF100. I didn't see any posts with a similar problem and wanted to see if I'm missing something before I send to Canon for repair... This just started up today (of course on Christmas day...)

When I turn on the camcorder, it takes at least 10 to 15 minutes to get the LCD to work. I can barely see the display on the LCD but it will eventually turn on. None of the functions seem to work when the LCD is not "lit up". Everything just seems to work very slowly. I've tried resetting and the problem still comes back. Has anyone else had similar problems? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I think I figured out the problem. I used an aftermarket charger to charge the OEM battery. For some reason, it caused problem with the camcorder. It all now seems to be working fine. I guess the unit just needed some kind of rest...

In the future, I plan to only charge my OEM battery with the included OEM charger...
post #2615 of 3812 Old 12-26-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by miloplays View Post

I think I figured out the problem. I used an aftermarket charger to charge the OEM battery. For some reason, it caused problem with the camcorder. It all now seems to be working fine. I guess the unit just needed some kind of rest...

In the future, I plan to only charge my OEM battery with the included OEM charger...

Yeah I found out earlier on that non Canon chargers didn't do so well on Canon batteries.....

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #2616 of 3812 Old 12-28-2008, 10:05 AM

When I connect my HF100 to my computer, Pixela ImageMixer 3 SE pops up and detects my camcorder fine; but neither Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0 nor InterVideo WinDVD Creator 3 can detect it as a device.

I was able to save MTS files as M2TS files via ImageMixer, then author and burn DVDs via WinDVD -- until I updated WinDVD, and now WinDVD can only manage video and not sound! Adobe Premiere allows importing M2TS files but I get sound with no video!

ImageMixer kinda sucks, and WinDVD would be okay if I could fix the sound; but I'd rather get more bang for my Adobe Premiere buck.

Please advise:
* how do I get Adobe Premiere to recognize my HF100 as a device?
* what highest-def file type will Premiere recognize? M2TS?
* why doesn't video import into Premiere via M2TS files?
* do you recommend using Premiere (Elements 4.0) to author DVDs?

Thanks,
cyberN8
post #2617 of 3812 Old 12-28-2008, 05:36 PM

Hello all, I just purchased the hf100 and I am now trying to figure out which editing software to use for editing, saving, and burning to dvd, the videos I shoot. I am not a professional movie maker, just an average home user who will be shooting family events, kids, birthday parties, vacations, etc.... I don't need anything too fancy.

I am running Vista Premium 64-bit, Dual Core 2.2GHz, with 4GB of RAM.

I am not sure if I should just use the Microsoft Movie Maker which my pc already has or get the Sony Vegas Platinum Pro 9 which I heard works great with this camera. I don't have a blu ray player, so any DVD's I would burn would have to be SD for now.

Would the Sony Vegas be overkill for my needs?

Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

sn
post #2618 of 3812 Old 12-28-2008, 06:28 PM

This is going to be a naive question, but I'll go ahead with it...

Is it normal that the bottom of the HF100 gets "warm" while in shooting mode? I searched this thread and found one post regarding this and that was related to charging while shooting. Searching with "hot" brings all the "hot shoe" related posts, while "warm" picks up all the warm color balance posts

After few minutes of recording, the bottom of the camera gets warm. It doesn't reach a point where it is uncomfortable to hold it, but I wanted to make sure that everything was OK.

Thanks in advance!
post #2619 of 3812 Old 12-28-2008, 06:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by volki View Post

This is going to be a naive question, but I'll go ahead with it...

Is it normal that the bottom of the HF100 gets "warm" while in shooting mode? I searched this thread and found one post regarding this and that was related to charging while shooting. Searching with "hot" brings all the "hot shoe" related posts, while "warm" picks up all the warm color balance posts

After few minutes of recording, the bottom of the camera gets warm. It doesn't reach a point where it is uncomfortable to hold it, but I wanted to make sure that everything was OK.

Thanks in advance!

Seems to be OK. I ran mine for a while on the 25th and it got warm to the touch.

I think there something in the manual about it.

Seggers

post #2620 of 3812 Old 12-29-2008, 07:43 AM

Has anyone been able to connect their HF10/100 to a TV via the HDMI cable and then have audio output from an optical port back to their AVR for sound output? I'm trying to do this with a Pioneer 111FD and a Yamaha RVX1800. I can get analog output this way but not digital audio via the optical port on the TV. Connecting my HF100 to the AVR directly with an HDMI cable works for both audio and video but it not a desirable solution for me due to the location of the various components.
post #2621 of 3812 Old 12-29-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

Seems to be OK. I ran mine for a while on the 25th and it got warm to the touch.

I think there something in the manual about it.

Seggers

Yeah, mine gets warm as well - I'm sure it's normal. I'd rather have it warm than buzzy!
post #2622 of 3812 Old 12-29-2008, 12:14 PM

Just uploaded an .mp4 compressed video showing some rather banal contrast shots between the standard lens and the wide angle lens. It can be found here: http://vimeo.com/2663023

I hope it's useful, I find the lens to be quite a pleasant addition - especially shooting inside with the kids. Now I don't have to be so far away to get them in the frame.

--

Here we sort of go off-topic to general digital video, please feel free to reply in PM or maybe I'll just start another thread.

I used the rendering settings prescribed by Eugenia for Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum (9.0b) http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2007/1...s-for-vimeo-hd . The local video looks pretty good, fine actually, but the vimeo compressed shots look pretty aliased. The sky colors, especially, have huge aliasing chunks.

Maybe the sky in general is a problem, but what could be done to improve the final Vimeo version? Some of the other HD videos on there (shot with the same hardware, without additional lenses) look FAR better. Should I export from Vegas to a neutral lossless format and prepare for distribution using something like TMPGenc?
post #2623 of 3812 Old 12-29-2008, 05:53 PM

Hi all,

I need your help deciding on which extra battery to get for my HF100. The choices are genuine 809S ($60) and 819 ($85) both from Amazon. After my $20 promotion code, the prices will be $40 and $65, respectively.

I know the price wise, it's a no brainer to pick up the 819. However, there are few things that I'd like to ask for your feedback. Is it as comfortable to hold the camera with 819 installed? Is it difficult to charge the battery in HF100, since the extra length seems to block the battery cap somewhat? Is the color difference (black vs. silver) very obvious/noticeable? Lastly, 819 gives 2x more power in terms of shooting time, right?

Thanks in advance!
post #2624 of 3812 Old 12-29-2008, 06:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by volki View Post

Hi all,

I need your help deciding on which extra battery to get for my HF100. The choices are genuine 809S ($60) and 819 ($85) both from Amazon. After my $20 promotion code, the prices will be $40 and $65, respectively.

I know the price wise, it's a no brainer to pick up the 819. However, there are few things that I'd like to ask for your feedback. Is it as comfortable to hold the camera with 819 installed? Is it difficult to charge the battery in HF100, since the extra length seems to block the battery cap somewhat? Is the color difference (black vs. silver) very obvious/noticeable? Lastly, 819 gives 2x more power in terms of shooting time, right?

Thanks in advance!

Volki,

819 it is.

There's no difference holding the 100 with an 819 on it.
No problem charging (I did mine ready for the 25th).
Colour difference, what colour difference?
My newly charged 819 reported something like 166 mins available, whereas the 16Gb card showed 126 mins.

Seggers

post #2625 of 3812 Old 12-29-2008, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply seggers. I appreciate your help... Based on your suggestions and the picture from this thread I decided to order the 819.

post #2626 of 3812 Old 12-29-2008, 09:07 PM

You made a good choice. I just got an 819, and it's like having a real battery. The 809 is only good as a backup.

Then there's the massive (huge) 829? (is it 829?? ) with something like 400+ minutes. That one I'd love to see installed for comparison.
post #2627 of 3812 Old 12-29-2008, 09:27 PM

It is a BP-827. The quote below is a customer review from a website that sells them. I have one on the way.

"I bought this battery and was very happy with the 4-1/2+ hours of battery time on my camcorder. The battery is a bit bulkier then the one that comes with the HF-100 but that is to be expected since it has like 3+x the capacity. I have the 16MB storage cards and you can fill a little more than 2 of them on a full battery charge."
post #2628 of 3812 Old 12-30-2008, 10:43 AM

It seems like all the deals are gone!?
Has anyone found a reputable merchant for the HF100 for better than $529 shipped?
post #2629 of 3812 Old 12-30-2008, 02:28 PM

I need to get a 12 volt power supply for the unit, preferably Canon - can someone point me in the right diirection as I cannot seem to find one?

Thanks.
post #2630 of 3812 Old 12-30-2008, 03:47 PM

I just purchased a Lowepro EX120

The Lowepro EX120 is large enough to fit:
HF100/HF10 camcorder,
Extra 819 battery
battery charger
HDMI Cable or Component Cables
Component Cable
Extra SDHC Cards
Even has spare room for a point and shoot camera

Its slightly larger than the Edit 120 which seems to be a pretty popular bag from this camcorder.

I like this bag a lot and I thought I would pass along the info
post #2631 of 3812 Old 12-30-2008, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Chris, thanks for the wide-angle shots.
I had a Sony wide angle but you can't zoom with it on this camera. I want the Canon lens but I think it's absurd we have to pay $200 for a lens when we can get the entire HD camera of this great quality for $500. Doesn't quite make sense to me. I'll still proably get it though.
post #2632 of 3812 Old 12-30-2008, 08:38 PM

I found a nifty little gadget the "Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player". I tested it today and it plays the AVCHD (HF100) files directly from the card flawlessly. It has a USB connection so you can either transfer the file/s to an external hard drive or play them directly from the card via USB reader. It connects to the TV/Audio receiver via HDMI.
post #2633 of 3812 Old 12-31-2008, 07:54 PM

jjon90,

I am interested in purchasing a WD HD Media Player as well. I think it could a convenient, and cheaper alternative to using a blu-ray drive to create discs to view home videos in HD. I think this WD HD Media Player will sell like hot cakes now that HD camcorders are becoming more popular.

Everybody,

First off Happy 2009 .

What is the most efficient way to move my videos from my SDHC card to the computer? Should I leave the card in my HF100 or should I put it into a SDHC/USB Card Reader? Is there a difference in data transfer speed between these two scenarios?

Are there any SDHC Card readers that plug into firewire 400?

I have not started transferring files to my iMac desktop yet but I understand that data transfer time is a issue.
post #2634 of 3812 Old 12-31-2008, 08:18 PM

[quote=cts-pa;15428592]jjon90,

I am interested in purchasing a WD HD Media Player as well. I think it could a convenient, and cheaper alternative to using a blu-ray drive to create discs to view home videos in HD. I think this WD HD Media Player will sell like hot cakes now that HD camcorders are becoming more popular.QUOTE]

I am too - please post if anyone finds a good deal on one!! It beats hacking an old XBox and using open source software. Not too bad after all that work, but no HD. Plan on using a USD 2.0 to Cat 6 adapter on the back of the media player and connecting straight to my computer - we'll see!!!

Hope everyone had a Great Christmas and have a very Happy New Year!!!!
post #2635 of 3812 Old 01-01-2009, 06:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cts-pa View Post

jjon90,

I am interested in purchasing a WD HD Media Player as well. I think it could a convenient, and cheaper alternative to using a blu-ray drive to create discs to view home videos in HD. I think this WD HD Media Player will sell like hot cakes now that HD camcorders are becoming more popular.

Everybody,

First off Happy 2009 .

What is the most efficient way to move my videos from my SDHC card to the computer? Should I leave the card in my HF100 or should I put it into a SDHC/USB Card Reader? Is there a difference in data transfer speed between these two scenarios?

Are there any SDHC Card readers that plug into firewire 400?

I have not started transferring files to my iMac desktop yet but I understand that data transfer time is a issue.

CTS,

On the PC side I use a USB II SD HC card reader. For me there are 2 advantages of doing it this way:

1. Speed. In my less than scientific testing, carried out eralier in this thread, I found that using a card reader was quicker. Naturally, there was still time invovled, but there was less of it.
2. Ease. Take the card out of the 100, slap in a reader and Bob's your Auntie (it's a new world order). Plus you don't have to have the 100 plugged in to read the contents, which is a little bug bear around here.

As for a card reader over FireWire, no idea.....

Seggers

Google is your friend....

http://photo.net/digital-camera-shopping-forum/00QV50
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-8741-9048
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...num=5&ct=title

to name but a few.

post #2636 of 3812 Old 01-01-2009, 09:27 AM

seggers,

thanks for the prompt and extremely helpful reply. it looks like i will pick up a sdhc/usb 2.0 reader.

I am waiting for a few gadgets to arrive
WD Studio 1T HD
Leopard OS
iLife 08 (for iMovie)

Once I get those, I am sure I will have more questions.

Is anyone familiar with the WD Studio 1T HD? I have heard something about reformatting these so that they don't have partitions in order for the WDHD Media Player to work with it.
post #2637 of 3812 Old 01-01-2009, 03:32 PM

What about this Maximal Power DB CAN BP-809 Replacement Battery for Canon Digital Camera/Camcorder (Gray) ??

I just bought the Canon HF 100 (my first camcorder) and have seen how quickly the included battery depletes. For better or worse, I don't like the extended size of the Canon BP -819 not to speak of the expense.

Is the above to be avoided or is it OK. Thanks in advance for helpful replies.

SC
post #2638 of 3812 Old 01-01-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBear View Post

It seems like all the deals are gone!?
Has anyone found a reputable merchant for the HF100 for better than $529 shipped?

I've been looking too.....
You can get it at 6ave.com for $503 shipped.
ccode afl5
post #2639 of 3812 Old 01-01-2009, 04:09 PM

I got my WD HD Media Player at Best Buy on sale for $99, Unfortunately sale is over:-(

In my opinion, it is the best, fastest, and most convenient way to play back files on your HD TV
post #2640 of 3812 Old 01-01-2009, 09:22 PM

Bump ... anyone have audio from this camera working through HDMI to a TV and then through an optical out port from the TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatsnameis View Post

Has anyone been able to connect their HF10/100 to a TV via the HDMI cable and then have audio output from an optical port back to their AVR for sound output? I'm trying to do this with a Pioneer 111FD and a Yamaha RVX1800. I can get analog output this way but not digital audio via the optical port on the TV. Connecting my HF100 to the AVR directly with an HDMI cable works for both audio and video but it not a desirable solution for me due to the location of the various components.

Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page