Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 149 Old 04-16-2008, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post

i did register it. i'll try the uninstall and reinstall routine when i get home tonight. someone else suggested that i need to run the files through the Picture Motion Browser software (bundled with the cam) first before vegas will recognize the files. apparently this software joins the files and converts them to the .m2ts format, which vegas recognizes. i have not installed the pmb software yet to try this out.

failing that, i'm curious to know if anyone else has had trouble with vegas recognizing .mts files. i'll also ask these questions in the sr11/12 thread as it may be an issue related to these files? no idea

talbain,
Im just trying to convey that your Vegas PRo 8 should open thes files without the need for PMB at all. But give it a try if it works than
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 149 Old 04-16-2008, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post

failing that, i'm curious to know if anyone else has had trouble with vegas recognizing .mts files. i'll also ask these questions in the sr11/12 thread as it may be an issue related to these files? no idea

According to the Sony forums... the SR11 is no problem

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...9189&Replies=1
post #93 of 149 Old 04-16-2008, 07:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Fort View Post

talbain,
Im just trying to convey that your Vegas PRo 8 should open thes files without the need for PMB at all. But give it a try if it works than

Actually, This is quite incorrect! If you read the help file on how to put AVCHD files from the camera hard drive it will give you a step by step process.

You must set up a new project preferences to use DD5.1 That would be your first step with Vegas. Go to File / new and select audio tab and set it to DD5.1 on the master bus. Unless you do that every clip with DD5.1 meta data and audio channels will come up as DD2.0.

Specifically, DO NOT drag and drop the files you see on the camera hard drive to your computer drive in windows explorer even though this is quite possible. It will not work for Vegas.

Instead, you need to use the Sony PMB properly by selecting your video files in the camera HD and then move them to a "REGISTERED" folder on your computer. Once there the second necessary step is to analyze the clips. This takes a bit longer. The whole process takes much less time than real time, however. Once you do this, open Vegas Explorer tab and navigate to the folder where you analyzed those video clips and they should be present as .m2ts files. Now you can drag and drop the files to the Vegas timeline or open them in the trimmer for editing. It has been my experience this week that the editing of these AVCHD clips works better than the mp2 clips I shoot and capture with my HVR Z1U.

According to the Sony rep if you are using a Canon HD camcorder and want to import those files to Vegas, you woulod follow the same process but substitute the Canon software to import the files from the Canon to your computer.

Tech stuff-
The camera hard drive contains several folders with information about the video as well as the video itself. If you delete some of these files the camcorder may not work properly. Instead use the Sony applications to perform any task with the camera.
The file that resides on the camcorder hard drive is an mts file. This is not recognizable by Vegas.
The Sony PMB utility will build the proper file set for Vegas recognition.
Each video clip will arrive and be ready for Vegas as 3 files- *.m2ts; *.moff; and *.modd. When you use the files in Vegas your project may also contain some vegas meta data files that tell Vegas what you did with it in the timeline. The *.m2ts is the main video file in AVCHD. I won't guarantee that all other edit systems will recognize this Sony file but I know if you work with the package that is designed to work well together and you follow the process, the work flow, Sony has designed you can complete the project from shooting to DVD and play it in your blu Ray player! I have done it. I got the process simply by reading the help files.

BTW- I discovered a bug I will be reporting to Sony team in the Vegas 8b. It's no biggie but normally in Vegas when you float the mouse over a video or still file it will pop up the first fraqme in the preview monitor. With these m2ts files this does not work. You have to drag them into the timeline to see them on the monitor. Since the files are convereted by the PMB to a meaningless string of numbers, it is a problem to find the clip you want.

Update-
OK- Here's a work around I did for those of you who don't like to do things the way you are supposed to.

Go to the folder where you dragged and dropped your *.mts files and simply change the extension to m2ts. Once you do that, the file will be visible and it will plop down in the timeline and the DD5.1 master bus will be populated with the tracks. I just did it. I won;t guarantee this will work on everything but I know it works in the file I just tried. Have fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #94 of 149 Old 04-16-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

......Specifically, DO NOT drag and drop the files you see on the camera hard drive to your computer drive in windows explorer even though this is quite possible. It will not work for Vegas......
The file that resides on the camcorder hard drive is an mts file. This is not recognizable by Vegas.....
I know if you work with the package that is designed to work well together and you follow the process, the work flow, Sony has designed you can complete the project from shooting to DVD and play it in your blu Ray player! I have done it. I got the process simply by reading the help files.
Go to the folder where you dragged and dropped your *.mts files and simply change the extension to m2ts. Once you do that, the file will be visible and it will plop down in the timeline and the DD5.1 master bus will be populated with the tracks. I just did it. I won;t guarantee this will work on everything but I know it works in the file I just tried. Have fun.

Ok so you discovered changing the file extension from .mts to .m2ts works as I mentioned above.

Also you can drag files from the camera hard drive to your PC and into vegas (or at least Vegas Platinum 8. I have done this. when I first go the camera I didn't want the Picture Motion Browser software on my PC. I looked at it like software that comes with your DSLR camera like a Nikon D200 that i wouldn't use when Im going to use Photoshop CS3!

But anyway I did it I went into the camera hard drive and copied the .mts files from the STREAM folder in the camera hard drive to a folder on my PC. I then opened these in vegas. Now I agree this is not the best way to do this and I use Motion Picture browser to import all my files now. I agree in allowing the continuity of the software programs to work for you.

But I have not tried this in Vegas PRO 8 so I could be incorrect as far as Pro 8goes but in platinum it worked.

I hope they fix the bug you found. I never really noticed it but it would be a nice change.
post #95 of 149 Old 04-16-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Paul

Did you set the AUDIO Project properties to 5.1 surround ? The default is stereo but if I set it to 5.1 the original material is not downsampled.

Sergio

You Are Correct Sir!

That was it. I just assumed it would have been recognised by vegas

SO great it works yippie
post #96 of 149 Old 04-17-2008, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You must set up a new project preferences to use DD5.1 That would be your first step with Vegas. Go to File / new and select audio tab and set it to DD5.1 on the master bus. Unless you do that every clip with DD5.1 meta data and audio channels will come up as DD2.0.

Specifically, DO NOT drag and drop the files you see on the camera hard drive to your computer drive in windows explorer even though this is quite possible. It will not work for Vegas.

Instead, you need to use the Sony PMB properly by selecting your video files in the camera HD and then move them to a "REGISTERED" folder on your computer. Once there the second necessary step is to analyze the clips. This takes a bit longer. The whole process takes much less time than real time, however. Once you do this, open Vegas Explorer tab and navigate to the folder where you analyzed those video clips and they should be present as .m2ts files. Now you can drag and drop the files to the Vegas timeline or open them in the trimmer for editing. It has been my experience this week that the editing of these AVCHD clips works better than the mp2 clips I shoot and capture with my HVR Z1U.

According to the Sony rep if you are using a Canon HD camcorder and want to import those files to Vegas, you woulod follow the same process but substitute the Canon software to import the files from the Canon to your computer.

Tech stuff-
The camera hard drive contains several folders with information about the video as well as the video itself. If you delete some of these files the camcorder may not work properly. Instead use the Sony applications to perform any task with the camera.
The file that resides on the camcorder hard drive is an mts file. This is not recognizable by Vegas.
The Sony PMB utility will build the proper file set for Vegas recognition.
Each video clip will arrive and be ready for Vegas as 3 files- *.m2ts; *.moff; and *.modd. When you use the files in Vegas your project may also contain some vegas meta data files that tell Vegas what you did with it in the timeline. The *.m2ts is the main video file in AVCHD. I won't guarantee that all other edit systems will recognize this Sony file but I know if you work with the package that is designed to work well together and you follow the process, the work flow, Sony has designed you can complete the project from shooting to DVD and play it in your blu Ray player! I have done it. I got the process simply by reading the help files.

Update-
OK- Here's a work around I did for those of you who don't like to do things the way you are supposed to.

mr. landis,

thanks a TON. this method worked perfectly. after installing pmb and using the work flow as described, vegas 8b now recognizes my files.

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #97 of 149 Old 04-17-2008, 07:27 AM

So then it must be true that you cannot drag and drop from the camera hdd to the pc to vegas pro 8.

Im glad you got it working talbain. Is PMB working well for you. do you get thumnails of your AVCHD files in the calander view? there were some issues others had of this not working.
post #98 of 149 Old 04-17-2008, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Fort View Post

So then it must be true that you cannot drag and drop from the camera hdd to the pc to vegas pro 8.

Im glad you got it working talbain. Is PMB working well for you. do you get thumnails of your AVCHD files in the calander view? there were some issues others had of this not working.

i only spent a few minutes with it last night to see if i could get it to work. i'll do some in depth work on it hopefully tonight and this weekend

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #99 of 149 Old 04-18-2008, 10:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Anyone wishing to do fully production suite from shoot to burn AVCHD to dvdr or BluDisk RW will want to have the full Vegas 8 Pro with DVD-A It is 4.5 now and does not support Blu or AVCHD but when 5 comes out, it will be a free upgrade and will support this. 5.0 also has animated buttons that move around with keyframable bezier curve path lines and ability to import subtitles and set multyiple language tracks.

For those who bought the heavily discounted Vegas 8, was it explained to you that that low cost version lacks some features in the more expensive package?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #100 of 149 Old 04-19-2008, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

For those who bought the heavily discounted Vegas 8, was it explained to you that that low cost version lacks some features in the more expensive package?

I knew about the lack of DVDA from a BH reply to my question. I didn't know about the lack of AC3 Pro encoder. The price difference is more than enough to make my purchase a bargain anyway. Sony does not sell DVDA Pro 4.5 standalone.

I am really happy with the combination of Vegas 8 Pro and VS11+ to burn HD disks. I don't care about SD any longer and would not be using DVDA anyway.

On the press release, Sony makes clear that DVDA5 will be a free upgrade for those with registered Vegas 8 Pro, which is my case. If the upgrade will work without a DVDA 4.5 installed or not remains to be seen.

Sergio

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #101 of 149 Old 04-19-2008, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Don, Have u worked with Blu-Print?
post #102 of 149 Old 04-20-2008, 10:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Sergio- Please note that DVDA 4.5 is only an SD DVD authoring package but it will be upgraded to the DVDA 5.0 for free in June or July when all beta testing is complete. I worked with DVDA 5.0 and it supports two additional output formats-
1. BluRay to Blu Ray Disk as long as you have a BluRay Disk burner.
2. AVCHD to DVD-r 4.7 and DL DVD's.

To burn #2 today you have to use the Sony PMB software.

I sat in on the class on BluPrint, img eL. It is a high end authoring package that adds java script programming for menu building. It will produce the file structure on render output for DVD replication authoring. You could also use it to duplicate to burners but this is not what it was designed for. The software does not burn disks, it is just an authoring package for high end Blu Ray design and supports BluRay 2.0 etc.

If you were looking for some simple animation in your menu design, DVDA 5.0 will offer button animation with bezier curve paths.

Was the question here about Vegas 8 rendering to AVCHD 1080 x 1920?
You can set all the parameters to do this in the Ultimate S v4.0 plugin from VASST. I'll have to study the custom setups to see where all the manual setup configs are to do this without the plugin. Ultimate S is the easy way.

Don Landis
post #103 of 149 Old 04-20-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Sergio- Please note that DVDA 4.5 is only an SD DVD authoring package but it will be upgraded to the DVDA 5.0 for free in June or July when all beta testing is complete. I worked with DVDA 5.0 and it supports two additional output formats-
1. BluRay to Blu Ray Disk as long as you have a BluRay Disk burner.
2. AVCHD to DVD-r 4.7 and DL DVD's.

To burn #2 today you have to use the Sony PMB software.

I sat in on the class on BluPrint, img eL. It is a high end authoring package that adds java script programming for menu building. It will produce the file structure on render output for DVD replication authoring. You could also use it to duplicate to burners but this is not what it was designed for. The software does not burn disks, it is just an authoring package for high end Blu Ray design and supports BluRay 2.0 etc.

If you were looking for some simple animation in your menu design, DVDA 5.0 will offer button animation with bezier curve paths.

You can set all the parameters to do this in the Ultimate S v4.0 plugin from VASST. I'll have to study the custom setups to see where all the manual setup configs are to do this without the plugin. Ultimate S is the easy way.

Don,

Are the upgrades for both the DVDA 4.5 Studio (which comes with Vegas platinum 8) and DVDA 4.5 PRO (comes with vegas Pro8)
post #104 of 149 Old 04-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

I'll 2nd Paul's question!

My copy of Sony Vegas MS Platinum 8 retail is on the UPS truck from newegg as I type. (Couldn't help myself with the MIR and free shipping) I don't even have a camera yet.
post #105 of 149 Old 04-20-2008, 01:57 PM

Although Vegas Pro 8.0b can read 1920x1080 AVCHD files, it can only save into 1440x1080 AVCHD files. Is that right? If so, that means re-encoding, right?

I only need to trim the video and add audio (comments) to my vacation video files for editing purposes. I want to save back to m2ts files and eventually create AVCHD DVD (with Picture Motion Browser for example). I don't want to spend time to re-encode if it's not absolutely required.

I currently have Sony HDR-SR11.
post #106 of 149 Old 04-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5_dvr View Post

Although Vegas Pro 8.0b can read 1920x1080 AVCHD files, it can only save into 1440x1080 AVCHD files. Is that right? If so, that means re-encoding, right?

I only need to trim the video and add audio (comments) to my vacation video files for editing purposes. I want to save back to m2ts files and eventually create AVCHD DVD (with Picture Motion Browser for example). I don't want to spend time to re-encode if it's not absolutely required.

I currently have Sony HDR-SR11.

I had read somewhere that the Platinum does have a 1440x1080 resolution restriction but with a HDV miniDV camera the footage falls nicely inside (well at) the restriction.

I think there's a big thread over at www.hv20.com about Platinum's resolution cap. They have a subforum specifically for PC Editing software which is only partly specific to the Canon HV20/30s.
post #107 of 149 Old 04-22-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:

This is a very good question Don to which I'd like to know the answer.

I want to shoot everything in the highest quality setting with my SR11 and I'd like to know if the following is possible using Sony Vegas Pro 8 with DVD Architect (registered full version) when the new versions come out.

1.) Edit without losing any image quality so that final format is identical to what the camera displays (1920x1080) and burn to DVD-R or Blu-Ray that can be played back on Blu-Ray drives

2.) Edit and burn to DVD-R with reduce quality that can be played back on normal DVD players.

Now the reason for this is item 1 is perfect for our own house but item 2 would be applicable to family and friends overseas who don't have blu-ray players and are not likely to ever bother with it.

If anyone can advise exactly how to do this with Vegas Pro 8 and DVD Architect it would be much appreciated.
post #108 of 149 Old 04-23-2008, 02:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Upgrades are defined on the Sonycreativesoftware web site. They also have a nice comparison chart to compare the three different versions of Vegas. I do know that if you registered DVDA 4.5 you will get a free upgrade to 5.0 which has the BluRay plus AVCHD authoring / burn capability plus the animated path for buttons.

Regarding the 1080 x 1920 Sony Vegas Timeline rendering for AVCHD-
I may not have been too clear on this and I have questioned if there was another easier way using the presets to the experts at Sony but have not gotten any easy answers back.
One way to do this is to use the Main Concept codec in Vegas; File/Render as:
Select the Main Concept MP4 and enter the 1920x1080 for the frame size. I am testing this output now to see how compatible it is with a m2ts and mts extension for AVCHD.
The other settings are simply presets and the specific preset for 1080 x 1920 in AVCHD does not exist in Vegas 8b. Maybe they will add that in 8c. ??? Anyway, you can create your own preset and save it for future use.

Don Landis
post #109 of 149 Old 04-23-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortical View Post

This is a very good question Don to which I'd like to know the answer.

I want to shoot everything in the highest quality setting with my SR11 and I'd like to know if the following is possible using Sony Vegas Pro 8 with DVD Architect (registered full version) when the new versions come out.

1.) Edit without losing any image quality so that final format is identical to what the camera displays (1920x1080) and burn to DVD-R or Blu-Ray that can be played back on Blu-Ray drives

2.) Edit and burn to DVD-R with reduce quality that can be played back on normal DVD players.

Now the reason for this is item 1 is perfect for our own house but item 2 would be applicable to family and friends overseas who don't have blu-ray players and are not likely to ever bother with it.

If anyone can advise exactly how to do this with Vegas Pro 8 and DVD Architect it would be much appreciated.

I wanted #1 also and I could not find a way to render to 1920x1080 AVCHD in Vegas Pro v8b. SONY AVC format in Vegas seems to only support up to 1440x1080.

I think #2 is possible.
post #110 of 149 Old 04-23-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The other settings are simply presets and the specific preset for 1080 x 1920 in AVCHD does not exist in Vegas 8b. Maybe they will add that in 8c. ??? Anyway, you can create your own preset and save it for future use.

As I said in your post on the Vegas forum, you can not customize a preset for AVCHD at 1920x1080.... it is grayed out. At present you can only render 1440x1080 in avchd. You can use main concept to do MP4, but as you have noted, you will lose the AC3.
post #111 of 149 Old 04-24-2008, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Can u Raw edit avchd 1920x1080 in the latest Vegas Pro?
post #112 of 149 Old 04-24-2008, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by img eL View Post

Can u Raw edit avchd 1920x1080 in the latest Vegas Pro?

I got a clip shot with the new Canon HF10, a m2ts file from a Japanese site. Imported in Vegas 8 Pro, only audio is recognized. Any 1440X1080 AVCHD can be imported without any problem and I thing the 1920X1080 is the culprit.

Sergio

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #113 of 149 Old 04-24-2008, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got a clip shot with the new Canon HF10, a m2ts file from a Japanese site. Imported in Vegas 8 Pro, only audio is recognized. Any 1440X1080 AVCHD can be imported without any problem and I thing the 1920X1080 is the culprit.

Sergio

Have u tried that with Pinnacle 11?
Vegas 8 pro needs a serious update.
post #114 of 149 Old 04-24-2008, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by img eL View Post

Have u tried that with Pinnacle 11?
Vegas 8 pro needs a serious update.

I tried with Ulead VS11+ and it works like a charm but my camera is HDV and Vegas has no problem with that. So far I think Vegas 8 Pro is the best editor I have played with .

Sergio

post #115 of 149 Old 04-24-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:

Sergio

Vegas Pro 8.0b has the following in the Project properties settings?

File/Properties
Video Tab

HD 1080-50i (1920x1080, 25.000 fps)
HD 1080-60i (1920x1080, 29.970 fps)
HD 1080-24p (1920x1080, 23.976 fps)

I assume the project propeties should be set to one of these for the relevant video settings the camcorder is recording in.

Surely this means it can save the project and work in these resolutions without causing audio problems?

Perhaps AVCHD cameras that are not made by Sony are not fully compatible with the Vegas Software yet.
post #116 of 149 Old 04-25-2008, 03:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Update-

Just wanted to add a correction to this I posted earlier.
I have done more work with the SR12 files ( *.MTS) since getting home and have found that I do not need to change the file extension to *. m2ts to see them in vegas. They show up fine and I can place them on the time line fine. Not sure what I wasn't doing before where this wasn't working but I have no trouble now.

Don Landis
post #117 of 149 Old 04-25-2008, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

The clip I am talking about ,where Vegas recognizes only the audio portion, can be downloaded from here :

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do.../ezsample.m2ts

It's a nice m2ts clip from a Japanese site. I have tried everything on the project settings, 1440X1080, 1920X1080,24P,60, mirror the file properties. The clip can be played with WMP and other programs like WinDVD8 and Roxio Cineplayer and I can't understand why Vegas doesn't see the video portion.

If anybody has the time to download the clip and test it, I would appreciate. (149 MB)

Sergio

post #118 of 149 Old 04-25-2008, 05:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

just audio mpg 2 codec but no video. Is it PAL? Can you see it in other players?

Don Landis
post #119 of 149 Old 04-25-2008, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The clip I am talking about ,where Vegas recognizes only the audio portion, can be downloaded from here :

This has happened to a number of people now (myself included) from a number of different file sources. It works in Pinnacle studio, Nero, Ulead, even plays properly in any player that can handle m2ts. But when you try and bring it into Vegas, the audio shows up but the video does not. It's even happened to me with a m2ts file that vegas itself generated

It's been reported a few times now on the Vegas forum:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ssageID=588206

My thinking is that it's a bug.
post #120 of 149 Old 04-25-2008, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

just audio mpg 2 codec but no video. Is it PAL? Can you see it in other players?

I think it's NTSC. I can play the clip with WMP, Windvd8,Cineplayer (Roxio) and can import ,edit and do whatever I want with Ulead VS11+. This is the only clip I had problems with , using Vegas. I don't have a camera that records AVCHD to make further tests.

Sergio

Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page