Question to Vegas 8 users (Vegas Pro 8 specifically) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 149 Old 04-07-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
A poster linked the Vegas Pro 8 at B&H for $129. This seems like a great price.
Questions:

1: Is this an upgrade? A google search revealed many other sites selling Vegas Pro 8 and they all call it an upgrade. Amazon.com says a prior version of Vegas Pro is needed. B&H doesn't state this requirement.

2: Are transitions included with Vegas Pro 8?

3: Would my previous Sony platinum 6 software (XMID and other ancillary software) work with Vegas Pro 8?

4: Would the multiple monitor setup work with my Q6600, Nvidia 7600GT setup? Do I need to SLI?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 149 Old 04-07-2008, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
1- No, its is a full Vegas 8 Pro. Most likely without the Sony DVD Architect, which is a separate program and not integrated with Vegas. The DVDA comes as a bonus in the boxed version, for 3 times the price.

2- My guess is that all transitions are included. I see no reason why they wouldn't .

3-I don't know but my guess is you should forget about platinum 6 anyway.

4- That's a good question. I have the same setup, Q6600 with NVIDIA 8800. Never managed to make it work with my 2nd monitor and VS11+, using 2 monitors. People at VS11+ forum (great board) say it doesn't work with NVIDIA, just ATI. I am new to Vegas but as far as I understand it will work because the program itself will control the monitors.

My Vegas will arrive on Wednesday and that's one of the first thing I will try. I will let you know.

Sergio

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #3 of 149 Old 04-07-2008, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Sergio.

The ancillary software that comes with Vegas Platinum 6 is not connected to 6 except as an outboard so I do think there's a chance they will operate.

I wonder if my Sony DVD architect (came as a separate package) will work with Pro 8?

Looking forward to your review!
post #4 of 149 Old 04-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Since this offering of Vegas doesn't have DVD Architect, can someone list alternative programs that'll cover the majority of what DVDA would be needed for? Plus I do assume that Sony sells DVDA seperately (stand alone purhcase). Thanks
post #5 of 149 Old 04-07-2008, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker1024 View Post

Since this offering of Vegas doesn't have DVD Architect, can someone list alternative programs that'll cover the majority of what DVDA would be needed for? Plus I do assume that Sony sells DVDA seperately (stand alone purhcase). Thanks

Sony only sells the "light" version of DVDA, the Platinum for 40 bucks. The Pro 4.5 can't be purchased , you need to buy Vegas 8 Pro in the boxed version.

I only deal with high def now and VS11+ does miracles with standard DVD media, both HD-DVD and AVCHD (BluRay) formats.

DVDA Pro is loved by many people but I suspect it's not the best option if all you need is HD on a cheap DVD media.

Sergio

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #6 of 149 Old 04-07-2008, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I have the full version of Vegas pro direct from Sony, but I would be surprised if the BH version was any different. DVDA is an important part of Vegas since it includes some of the codecs that operate Vegas (this includes the AC3 codec for 5.1 sound).

Vegas comes with it's usual standard set of transisions/effects which are more than enough to keep you happy.

Vegas is quite fast with avchd. I can edit an hour of M2t from the HV20 and render to avchd in about 2.5 hours (with a 6600 quad core) and Vegas does burn avchd disks (seems to be a glitch in it though.... it doesn't start automatically when you put it in the PS3). It will not burn avchd with menus though. I like to use Vegas to create my m2ts and then export it to Ulead MF6 (which will not re encode the vegas avchd before it burns)

If you have the chance to get Vegas for cheap, then I suggest you do it.... it is FARRRR better than Video studio.
post #7 of 149 Old 04-07-2008, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

A poster linked the Vegas Pro 8 at B&H for $129. This seems like a great price.
Questions:

4: Would the multiple monitor setup work with my Q6600, Nvidia 7600GT setup? Do I need to SLI?

Thanks for any help.

If you have any standard video card with dual heads then you can have dual monitors. I believe the 7600 has dual heads

I don't know if your plugins from Vegas platinum will work.
post #8 of 149 Old 04-07-2008, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks BigBarney. You made me hopeful for the DVDA with my order.

Sergio

post #9 of 149 Old 04-07-2008, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Thanks BigBarney. You made me hopeful for the DVDA with my order.

Sergio

No problem.

I *THINK* the reason Vegas pro is coming so cheap right now is because Sony is gearing up to release the TRUE 64 bit version of vegas which will MASSIVELY increase the efficiency of HDV editing. I'll be the first in line for it no doubt, but my guess will be that it won't come cheap!
post #10 of 149 Old 04-07-2008, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post

No problem.

I *THINK* the reason Vegas pro is coming so cheap right now is because Sony is gearing up to release the TRUE 64 bit version of vegas which will MASSIVELY increase the efficiency of HDV editing. I'll be the first in line for it no doubt, but my guess will be that it won't come cheap!

Yep, but the beauty of buying a full pro version so cheap is that it can be upgraded when the new one comes. Sony has been very reasonable with upgrades for existing customers. I also belive that a new DVD Architect will come with a lot of HD goodies.

Sergio

post #11 of 149 Old 04-07-2008, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What does DVD Architect do that other programs can't?
post #12 of 149 Old 04-07-2008, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Sergio and bigbarney, this is sounds like something I need to get. I might wait to make sure it's not an upgrade. I emailed B&H earlier today and, after the automated response, I have yet to hear back from them.

Two monitor editing would be great!
Thanks again.
post #13 of 149 Old 04-08-2008, 12:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I've been editing with Vegas since long before Sony took it over. I always buy the upgrades since it is really a bargain. I paid $150 for the Vegas 8 plus DVDA 4.5 in download format. A week later i Get the box version too and never even requested it. Same licence, however.

I look forward to working with v8 for both HDV and the new AVCHD. Most of my pro editing is still in DV format.
post #14 of 149 Old 04-08-2008, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

Thanks Sergio and bigbarney, this is sounds like something I need to get. I might wait to make sure it's not an upgrade.

I wondered that too, but I guess we'll see. It will be interesting to CONFIRM whether or not it comes with dvda. The specs on the BH site do say "DVD Author: none".
post #15 of 149 Old 04-08-2008, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

While we wait on the DVDa included and full / upgrade answers, I have another quick question.

I still haven't purhcased my first camcorder yet but doing some research first. If I where to go with Sony Vegas 8 Pro, would it be of real benefit to upgrade my Duo Core2 E6400 computer from 2 Gigs of DDR2 800 to 3 Gigs of DDR2 800 (using WinXP Pro so Mem limit of ~3 gigs, I'd actually have 4 gigs I could stick on the mobo)? Ram is cheap (the reason I'm considering it) but if it wouldn't help much the cost of the ram would be most of an extra battery or something else useful.

BTW I'm 99% sure I'm going HDV route and 80% leaning towards the Canon HV30 with an eye on the Sony HC7/9 still. I've got about a month before I need it (to get familiar with the camera) then it's third trimester time and 1st child days (and awake nights) are coming.
post #16 of 149 Old 04-08-2008, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

B&H just wrote to me to say they haven't got time to answer my Pro 8 upgrade question. They say they'll do it later. hmmm. I think it could go a little faster than 2 days for an answer. But Sergio will provide an update tomorrow I hope.
post #17 of 149 Old 04-08-2008, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I will !

post #18 of 149 Old 04-08-2008, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

OK. No more wait. Didn't get my copy yet but another guy reported he got his. The CD contains the Vegas 8 Pro and there is a registration key. NO SONY DVD ARCHITECT is included. I actually don't care very much because my VS11+ does what I want and I will be good to go when the Pro 9 comes for an upgrade at low price.

Sergio

post #19 of 149 Old 04-09-2008, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

I'm really seriously thinking of getting this. Even though I don't have a camera yet (within a month). Don't know how long B&H will have thie "OEM" Disk only full Vegas 8Pro (w/out DVD arch).

So you can still buy DVD Arch for ~$40 but it's only v4.0 not v4.5 Pro and I think I heard that means you won't be able to burn disks that play in a blueray player (even on a normal DVD-+R). Is that the major "loss" with no DVD arch, that can'e be made up with buying it? Because at the moment I don't have a BlueRay player of any type.

So I'm assuming the Full Vegas Pro 8 for $130ish verse going the Full retail box of the Vegas Platinum (to have HDV support over the Movie studio version) which is $80 (guessing roughly) is worth it in trems of power/features.

I have looked at the comparison charts (and know the Pro does alot more) but I mean power/features that would relate to the average joe. Shot some home footage of kid and then cut/clip it together and render it, maybe upload onto a miniDV tape again when done. I just want those tasks to be easy and still high quality.
post #20 of 149 Old 04-09-2008, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

OK. No more wait. Didn't get my copy yet but another guy reported he got his. The CD contains the Vegas 8 Pro and there is a registration key. NO SONY DVD ARCHITECT is included. I actually don't care very much because my VS11+ does what I want and I will be good to go when the Pro 9 comes for an upgrade at low price.

Sergio

Thanks Sergio. I just received this email from B&H: It is not an upgrade but it does NOT include the DVD Architect software.

So, I think I'll order this package. If you get a chance let us know what you think of the software. (And any tips you might have. )

TIA
post #21 of 149 Old 04-09-2008, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Got the CD. Some problems:

-As we now know, no DVDA.

-bigbarney was right on the money: The AC3 encoder is part of DVDA , therefore no AC3 encoding. The encoder is $ 200.00 from Sony !!

-Since there is no AC3, the only other option to create BluRay disks or files is to use something called Sony WAV W64 (kind of proprietary wav codec). Playstation plays it fine, Windows Media Player does not.

-You will get an error msg if you use this W64 option. Called Sony Support and they told me not to use the installation CD at all. I downloaded the 8b version from Sony website and it finally worked. Bottom line: What you are buying is just the key to unlock the Vegas 8 pro.

-That's all for now. It's gonna take a while to master this baby.

FOR THOSE THINKING ABOUT BUYING THIS CD, DO NOT USE IT TO INSTALL THE PROGRAM. DOWNLOAD FROM THE WEBSITE AND JUST USE THE KEY.

One more thing: The support guy from Sony was very surprised when I told him about not having the DVDA.

Sergio

post #22 of 149 Old 04-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Got the CD. Some problems:

-As we now know, no DVDA.

-bigbarney was right on the money: The AC3 encoder is part of DVDA , therefore no AC3 encoding. The encoder is $ 200.00 from Sony !!

[Cut out]

FOR THOSE THINKING ABOUT BUYING THIS CD, DO NOT USE IT TO INSTALL THE PROGRAM. DOWNLOAD FROM THE WEBSITE AND JUST USE THE KEY.

One more thing: The support guy from Sony was very surprised when I told him about not having the DVDA.

Sergio

Just to clearify. Downloading the "demo" / time trial of Vegas Pro 8 and using the purchased "CD only" key/license does or does not get you Vegas Pro 8 with AC3 (and _everything_ else except DVD Author)?

Sorry for the long question but I just wanted to be 100% you can get _everything_ except (would be nice to have also) the DVDa extra software.

Thanks again for going through this and reporting the process for the rest of us.
post #23 of 149 Old 04-09-2008, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker1024 View Post

Just to clearify. Downloading the "demo" / time trial of Vegas Pro 8 and using the purchased "CD only" key/license does or does not get you Vegas Pro 8 with AC3 (and _everything_ else except DVD Author)?

Sorry for the long question but I just wanted to be 100% you can get _everything_ except (would be nice to have also) the DVDa extra software.

Thanks again for going through this and reporting the process for the rest of us.

You don't get the AC3 at all. You need the DVD Architect in order to get the AC3-Pro encoder.

When you go to burn a BluRay disk, there are only two audio formats available: AC3 and something called Sony Wave 64. If you click on the AC3 you get an offer to purchase it for $199.00. If you click on Sony W64 and you used the CD installation disk, you get an error msg even if you previously upgraded to version 8b.

I called Sony support and they told me this error is a known issue. They told me to uninstall everything and download version 8b straight from their website , NOT THE FREE TRIAL but the full version from "updates". I installed the downloaded version and used the key to register the program. I can now create BD DVDs using the W64 audio format without the error msg.

Bottom line: You can create BD DVD if you are happy with this W64 audio format.

Sergio

post #24 of 149 Old 04-09-2008, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Sergio:

EDIT: I see you answered the big question above me whilst I typed (very slowly). I need a program that will allow me to make DVDs for people that are SD DVDs. I don't know when BD will become common enough to require me to produce DVDs in that format. I suspect it may be years. I hope not.

And I have questions about the interface and workflow but I'll wait til you tackle some editing. I have used the Sony Platinum 6 Movie studio and it looks very similar. I don't like the ergonomics of it, but I'm trying to get used to it. The VS 11.5 plus works better for me. Pro or not the people I deliver video to think it is very good. I'm only working with SD material for now but that will change soon.

Looking forward to any thoughts you have about Pro 8.

EDIT: When you go to the Sony Vegas Family Comparison site HERE, is this pretty much what one will get? I wonder if the 5.1 mixing and panning will be enabled if AC3 isn't supported?
Thanks for any advice/help!
post #25 of 149 Old 04-09-2008, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mike

It looks like the 5.1 mixing and panning work just fine. I have not done it yet but I guess you can "massage' the video and audio with Vegas Pro, render to a convinient format and use VS11+ to burn the final DVD, HD or SD.

Sergio

post #26 of 149 Old 04-09-2008, 04:38 PM

The Sony Vegas Family Comparison website indicates that Vegas Pro CAN do AC3 encoding! There is an * next to the statement that DVDA 4.5 is only included in the "collection" version, but there is no disclaimer next to the indication for AC3 5.1 and stereo encoding. It is disappointing that this chart is misleading. Before I ordered my CD, I looked at this chart and felt like it wouldn't be a problem.

My understanding is that Sony AVCHD files created in Vegas Pro can be exported back to a Sony AVCHD camera? Can anyone confirm? If AC3 is not included, it sounds like that could be a problem
post #27 of 149 Old 04-09-2008, 04:41 PM

Liked: 11
Sergio, Given the fact that you cannot burn with this version of Vegas is it any better than having VS11.5? Does it render faster or are there any other benefits?
post #28 of 149 Old 04-09-2008, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug goldberg View Post

Sergio, Given the fact that you cannot burn with this version of Vegas is it any better than having VS11.5? Does it render faster or are there any other benefits?

Good question and perhaps the only one that really matters.

I have been using Avid Xpress and Premiere to edit DV and burning standard DVDs for few years. Those softwares can do MUCH more than VS11+. I no longer do anything SD and used VS11+ to edit and burn about 8 home movies. I felt VS11+ is very good for the plain vanilla stuff but anything beyond and you know that you are dealing with a very basic program, almost like Windows Movie Maker. I am talking about the editing capability and not the burning options which I think are very good.

Here are some areas where VS11+ needs to improve :

-The title maker is very basic. Titling can be very important if you produce an instructional video, for example.

-No transitions on the overlay track.
-I can't figure how to mix 5.1 audio on HD material. It looks like only works on SD.
-Limited video and audio tracks.
-Video conversion is very slow, specially if your goal is to create AVCHD BluRay disks.

I am new to Vegas. Bought it because 129 bucks sounds like a real bargain for a product that a lot of people use and paid 3 times more. I have seen several videos edited with Vegas and they look very good, more "pro' than the traditional home movies with cheesy transitions.

Is Vegas faster ? I don't know yet. A lot of people say it uses a quad core CPU much better than other programs but I didn't do anything major yet.

In the worst case, I will be ready to upgrade to a new Vegas 9 pro when it comes. Sony upgrades are usually very decent price-wise.

Sergio

post #29 of 149 Old 04-09-2008, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response Sergio. For me rendering speed is not so much a concern. (SD and Q6600) My problem is the cumbersome workflow I find happens with Vegas. I wish there was a way to see how others navigate the Vegas interface. I find it slow and nonintuitive.

I do agree with each of your negatives about VS 11.5+. I would add:
  • I wish there was a way to right click on an audio file and throw a filter or EQ onto it.
  • I want a place to put edited pieces to the "side" for later use.
  • Multiple monitor possibility - and a flexible and expandable GUI. IOW: I want an area that is like a paint palette.
  • Right click menus for everything and the ability to add outboard programs to that menu.
  • Envelopes, envelopes, envelopes. I want to be able to shape events with more fluidity than VS 11.5+ allows.

I know I've somewhat described Sony Vegas, but I find Vegas slow to work with. For me editing works best when I can run, not walk. The rendering can be done when I'm doing something else.

I guess for me the ultimate platform is something akin to what is happening in "Minority Report" where one's hands "conduct" the edit. But that'll be a little in the future I guess.

EDIT: Consider this rhetorical - I'm not sure there is an answer. Just thinking outloud.
post #30 of 149 Old 04-09-2008, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

DVDA for 49.95 (version 4.5.... the newest)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tudio_4_5.html
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page