AVCHD MPEG-4 *.mts container-converter - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 45 Old 05-23-2008, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I am a proud owner of the HF10 and quite happy with the camcorder. Obviously it's not the best of the best picturewise, but it's small and ultraportable and it's FullHD :-) .

I can play the *.mts files without issues on my computer with nero 8 showtime...but that's not as exportable as i would like it to be. I know the underlying technics of the AVCHD-Codec is MPEG4 AVC Part10....and i want to store and share it in this official industry standard. Then my friends won't need to get special software to view my clips, but a MPEG4 AVC Codec.

So I'm wondering, if there was any possibility to change the container-format WITHOUT re-encoding the whole video (Nero 8, for example, scales it down to 14mb/s).

I'm searching for something like dvd-ripper, which compresses the dvd to a single layer disc without re-encoding everything. Of course with the option to not lower the data-rate...

Is there any tool available?

Thanks for your support,
Garbage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 05-23-2008, 09:14 AM

I'd like to be able to easily pull elementary streams from an MP4 container. Anyone know how to do that?
post #3 of 45 Old 10-25-2008, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by cautionyou View Post

If you want to convert SONY HDR-SR12E (.mts files) to mov format with 1920*1080 video size and 5.1 channels, mts converter is also your best solution.

And why is that? Do you own the program, or work for the company?

post #4 of 45 Old 10-25-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage98 View Post

and i want to store and share it in this official industry standard. Then my friends won't need to get special software to view my clips, but a MPEG4 AVC Codec.
So I'm wondering, if there was any possibility to change the container-format WITHOUT re-encoding the whole video

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to achieve.
If your friends have the necessary codec to play H.264, then they should be able to view m2ts/mts files from your camcorder directly.
If your friends do not have the necessary codec, then no matter what container format you put it in, they still cannot view it; until you re-encode the video to a codec that they have.
post #5 of 45 Old 10-27-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cautionyou View Post

mts converter is also your best solution.

Cautionyou, you were asked a question "And why is that? Do you own the program, or work for the company?".

Are you going to show the courtesy of a reply as I would like to know the answers myself?

Rich
post #6 of 45 Old 10-27-2008, 10:15 AM
osv
AVS Forum Special Member

not all software players allow you to play avchd back smoothly, even when the codec is present... avchd wasn't really designed to be shared like that, it's an acquisition format.

sending people avchd is like sending 'em dv avi files right out of the camera, it's just not something that you'd normally do.
post #7 of 45 Old 10-27-2008, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich127 View Post

Cautionyou, you were asked a question "And why is that? Do you own the program, or work for the company?". Are you going to show the courtesy of a reply as I would like to know the answers myself?

I ask, not to be rude, but to get a better explanation of what's so great about it. AVCHD is proving to be quite the challenge to handle effectively. Given the tremendous amounts of time, CPU, disk and other resources necessary it's not like any of us want to waste the money to get yet another piece of software that "almost" handles it. At this point I'm often more interested in knowing what a program GETS WRONG (loss of resolution, color, sound sync, slow) than any bells or whistles. So, please, offer us a bit more critical review.
post #8 of 45 Old 12-01-2008, 12:34 AM

mts converter is an excellent mts conversion software that can convert mts files to other video and audio formats. In addition, it can convert mts, ts, trp hd video files perfectly and quickly.
With the mts file converter, you can convert mts to avi, convert mts to mpg, mpeg, convert mts to iPod, convert mts to WAV, etc. The software support a series of output formats like, WMV, AVI, ASF, MPEG, MP4, MOV, 3GP, VOB, FLV, WMA, MP3, AAC, WAV, etc. It can aslo supprt convert m2ts files to iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, Zune, PSP, PS3, Creative Zen, Archos, MP3, and other Video and audio players. Free download the mts converter and have a try.
post #9 of 45 Old 12-01-2008, 04:57 AM

Changing your name isn't going to fool anyone
post #10 of 45 Old 12-10-2008, 05:37 AM

I'm going to bump this to see if anyone has downloaded any of the free trials.

I have a Canon HG20 and am looking for software that better handles the importing (not too big of a deal when I can just copy/paste) and putting these videos onto DVDs.

Has anyone tried anything or have any recommendations?

PS Network Name: fadoodled
post #11 of 45 Old 12-11-2008, 08:40 PM

I downloaded that mts converter program but I am unwilling to buy it. There has to be some free open source program that will convert AVCHD to MPEG2/4 but I have not found anything yet. I'm gona search some more tommrow.
post #12 of 45 Old 12-12-2008, 12:33 AM

I downloaded this FREE program that converts m2ts to other formats. It's kinda confusing at first, but once I found the correct output combination I could convert my files to avi and edit in other programs. If anyone has more experience with the program could they tell me what is the fastest format to convert m2ts files to while keeping the same quality and resolution. I'm thinking avi would be quickest, but I have no idea.

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Thanks.
post #13 of 45 Old 12-12-2008, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy143878 View Post

I downloaded this FREE program that converts m2ts to other formats. It's kinda confusing at first, but once I found the correct output combination I could convert my files to avi and edit in other programs. If anyone has more experience with the program could they tell me what is the fastest format to convert m2ts files to while keeping the same quality and resolution. I'm thinking avi would be quickest, but I have no idea.

Thanks.

That looks intersting. I'll give it a try when I get home from work. Any chance you can pm me a tutorial on how to convert m2ts to avi/mpeg.
post #14 of 45 Old 12-12-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:

I downloaded this FREE program that converts m2ts to other formats. It's kinda confusing at first,

Super has been around for a few years. Yes it is confusing. Yes, their website is confusing, reminds me of an old text adventure, but once you get to the end, and download the program, it is in fact free.

Rich
post #15 of 45 Old 12-12-2008, 10:10 AM

converting looks pretty straight forward, I think what concerns me is how to keep the quality. I set the resolution to 1920x1080. AS for video bitrate, I put it at the highest setting their is, which I think is 9600. Audio bitrate I set at 256.

Anyone know which settings I should be using to keep quality the same?

Thanks.
post #16 of 45 Old 12-12-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Anyone know which settings I should be using to keep quality the same?

I guess it depends on a lot of factors, like the input video and what you are trying to output. What format? etc.

Even then, there will be a difference of opinion.

I suggest you take a short test clip with some motion, like someone running, with some buildings with 45 degree angles to check for jaggies, make sure you do som in bright outdoors, and then try some indoor shots with just a few light bulbs... Then encode them to various rates...

Are you going to watch this on a computer? PC or MAC? I hope you will keep your originals.

I usually encode to .WMV at 3 MBPS rate for my standard definition video.

Rich
post #17 of 45 Old 12-12-2008, 11:50 AM

I'll try to check it out this weekend. If you guys discover anything along the way let me know. I assume you'll get to it before I do.

PS Network Name: fadoodled
post #18 of 45 Old 12-12-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich127 View Post

I guess it depends on a lot of factors, like the input video and what you are trying to output. What format? etc.

Even then, there will be a difference of opinion.

I suggest you take a short test clip with some motion, like someone running, with some buildings with 45 degree angles to check for jaggies, make sure you do som in bright outdoors, and then try some indoor shots with just a few light bulbs... Then encode them to various rates...

Are you going to watch this on a computer? PC or MAC? I hope you will keep your originals.

I usually encode to .WMV at 3 MBPS rate for my standard definition video.

Rich

Say my AVCHD footage is 17mbps, when I convert shouldn't I choose 17mbps to keep the quality of the footage?

1. Is there no such thing as a "lossless" conversion when converting video as there is in audio? Resolution I will keep at 1920x1080, just need another format other than m2ts for editting purposes.

2. Am I correct to assume that other formats with the same resolution 1920x1080 will be larger than m2ts if the quality is kept on level with each other? So avchd would be the best way to archive the videos keeping disk space at a minimum?

Thanks
post #19 of 45 Old 12-12-2008, 06:49 PM
osv
AVS Forum Special Member

1)there are some near-lossless video conversions, but it creates really big files that are difficult to edit.
2) yes... archive the original raw mts files, within the next year or so the quadcore cpus will be cheap enough to get one, and it'll be much easier to edit mts files.
post #20 of 45 Old 12-13-2008, 03:43 AM

i am having a terrible time with my hg20. my files come out as .mts and nothing i have opens them, cant view? am i correct that its just a codec problem? new quad pc this year. i really thought i could just do the movie and watch it. seems to be alot of precessing involved unless i am just doing it wrong. any help would be appreciated.
post #21 of 45 Old 12-13-2008, 09:00 AM
osv
AVS Forum Special Member

download the free vlc media player, it will handle avchd, tell us if your quadcore is fast enough to play the clips back smoothly.
post #22 of 45 Old 12-14-2008, 04:02 AM

yes it is..i does playback in vlc but the conversion part doesnt work..does it not woirk on the mxp and fxp mode? those modes wont write to my hcsd card..is there another type of card to get.
this forum is a wealth of information and i have bookmarked it for further reading. thanks
post #23 of 45 Old 12-14-2008, 04:03 AM

and yes my pc plays them w/o jumps
post #24 of 45 Old 12-14-2008, 01:49 PM
osv
AVS Forum Special Member

thanks for the feedback on avchd playback on a quadcore cpu... i haven't really been able to get the vlc to transcode to other formats, but i haven't put a lot of time into it either.

you want to write the avchd files back to the sd memory card, in order to plug it into, say, a tv or a ps3?
post #25 of 45 Old 12-14-2008, 02:57 PM

Windows Media player 10 will also play MTS, M2TS etc HD files. You have to install the proper codecs.
Google for "K-lite codec pack" and install.

I use a Q6600 quad core with good success.
When transcoding HD video with my Q6600, I can even bog down my processor running all 4 cores; and I am overclocking by 42%.

Basically if you play (transcode) with HD video, a quad core is a must. Just watching HD video, a dual core is probably fine.

TJH3
post #26 of 45 Old 12-14-2008, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1749 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
I'm surprised nobody here pointed to Yamb and tsMuxer. Those are container converters and are free. They may be what you are looking for. I use them to remux my Aiptek AVCHD files as well as some Canon HF10 samples.

http://yamb.unite-video.com/
http://www.smlabs.net/tsmuxer_en.html

And go look at the Blu-Ray authoring topic in the Blu-Ray software section.
post #27 of 45 Old 12-14-2008, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjh3 View Post

Basically if you play (transcode) with HD video, a quad core is a must. Just watching HD video, a dual core is probably fine.

TJH3

not with my Dual Core MBP

I have a fever and the only cure is more Blu-Ray....
post #28 of 45 Old 12-15-2008, 09:27 AM

Check out my post here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1038225

I think it may work for what you are looking for. It's a nice
way to manipulate without having to re encode.
post #29 of 45 Old 12-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

I got a 2GHz dual core AMD laptop with Vista 32bit Premium and 3GB RAM. I tried ImageMixer Player, WM11, WinDVD9+ and only WinDVD did it best. WM (with K-lite) seems to have the best color (don't know why) but it uses too much CPU to the point of unwatchable. ImageMixer is passable with occasional 100% CPU stuttering. WinDVD is best except you have to pay for it. I stay with ImageMixer for now.

If your PC/laptop does not have much better specs, I would advise stay away from WM and save yourself some time.
post #30 of 45 Old 02-06-2009, 08:15 AM

I know this doesn't apply to everybody, but I just did a little research and found out that the PS3 will both play AVCHD from a DVD and it will also play it right off of a HCSD card.

That doesn't do much for editing though, just playback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page