HF10 Framerate Drop with Auto Slow Shutter on - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-13-2008, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have a clue why the framerate on my HF10 (in the viewfinder as well as recorded video) drops to unacceptable levels in low light with the Auto Slow Shutter speed enabled?

I'm recording in PF30 (1080p) mode, [Program AE] on the aperture/shutter, but I wouldn't think allowing the auto shutter to drop to 1/30 instead of 1/60 should impact it, since isn't the camera filming for 30fps anyway?

...or, could it have something to do with the HF10 actually recording its 1080p footage as 60fps interlaced and then kicking it over to PF30/1080p? My logic might be flawed, but a drop from 1/60 to 1/30 would cut the framerate in half, which if THEN kicked by the camera from 60i to 30p.... resulting in essentially 15fps recorded?

Or am I missing something here?

((EDIT: Just ran a test by comparing PF30 to 60i, both in low light with the auto slow shutter on. I could tell a difference between the bright and low light framerates in the 60i, but nowhere as starkly as on PF30, so did I just answer my own question?

That makes me wonder about you guys out there. Since you probably can't/won't use 60fps video for DVDs and other home movie applications (can/do you??), and progressive being better than interlaced, should I be filming in 60i with this camera instead of PF30??))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-13-2008, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have you checked the actual shutter speed used? It may have dropped below 1/30s if you have auto slow shutter on.

For normal video, 60i gives you smoother video. For indoor and low light, 30p and 24p gives you extra light; but video may appear stuttering on fast action or fast pan.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-13-2008, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by endyss View Post

Does anyone have a clue why the framerate on my HF10 (in the viewfinder as well as recorded video) drops to unacceptable levels in low light with the Auto Slow Shutter speed enabled?

Technically it does not, but with shutter speed slower than 1/60 your fields are doubled, then quadrupled, etc. Visually it looks just the same as low frame rate.
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page