AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMcF View Post

Osv,
I’m still unclear if in your opinion, I should go with one of the conventional mics first or the Vive. When you speak of only being able to adjust the volume of the raw file, I’m honestly not knowledgeable of how significant that limitation is to editing compared to raw files created with the Rode or Canon mics.

the rode or canon will be stereo only, which can be easily edited in most applications... given that you'll be shooting a newborn that won't be moving around much(for now anyway!!) perhaps the way to go is with the rode or the canon, for now?? if those mics plug directly into the camcorder, they will also plug directly into the front jack of the vive mic, so you'll have both surround sound and the shotgun mic together.

the downside to that approach is that you can't easily edit the individual tracks, as barney pointed out... but the plus side is that the surround sound can survive just about any re-encoding that you throw at it, including youtube uploads... you can't do that with dolby prologic II, as far as i know???

if your computer is plugged into a surround sound system, you can hear the surround on this 720p Nitro Nostalghia Funny Car Video that i shot.

notice how the announcer audio gets drowned out when the ambient audio is *really* loud... i'm using an fm radio plugged into the vive mic jack for the announcer audio... that's where you would want the real 5.1 dolby audio, so you could tweak the volume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 335 Old 05-12-2009, 03:07 PM

Hi guys, my name is Mike, and I been filming for a while until my sony broke, I didn't feel like spending a whole lot again, so I just bought a canon vixia hf11.

But when I edit the clips (.MTS) files the clip is Choppy/ Laggy.

I only have 1GB ram and I think my video card shares with that (Which I was told at Best buy) So is there any way I could stop this without converting my files, or loosing the quality of the clip? If not; will this computer stop the choppyness/lagg? bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9174564&st=SKU%3A+9031692&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218044490119

It has 8GB RAM and the guy at the bestbuy said it's got a good video card.

I really wanna start to edit my film and stuff please someone help
Thank you.
post #273 of 335 Old 05-14-2009, 08:05 AM

Hi all,

I'm just joining the HF11 owner community (really in few days, as my camcorder has not been delivered yet).

As I'm planning a long trip, I'm wondering which backup/save solution you're using...

Is a "NextoDI" solution the best one ?
Is it possible to transfer all the sdhc data to a hard-drive without using the download software included with the camera ?

Thanks by advance
post #274 of 335 Old 05-15-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Got a new 50/25Hz Canon HF 11 last Friday, so one week ago, and have been playing with it for a bit, since. Now I seem to be having some issues with focus and optical zoom.

Earlier this week I couldn't focus beyond halfway through the optical zoom range. It turned out to be set on MF instead of the I.AF it was on earlier. No idea how I turned it from autofocus to manual focus. Nor do I have any idea how I got out of MF reverting back to I.AF, but after toggling the joystick numerous times it did. Unfortunately it appears the switch doesn't seem to be covered in the manual.

This afternoon, I tried zooming again, using autofocus, and noticed I couldn't focus anywhere past 60 or 70 percent of the zoomrange.

Second problem was that the image started twitching when using the zoom and I.AF.

When shooting objects further away the zoom can still be used and retain focus.

I can't seem to engange MF Manual focus, so no idea if the camera is at the end of its focus abilities.

Is this normal, or did I get a dodgy unit?

I did record a 5 second clip of the twitching, but don't know how to upload or share the example here.
post #275 of 335 Old 05-15-2009, 11:46 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post

Got a new 50/25Hz Canon HF 11 last Friday, so one week ago, and have been playing with it for a bit, since. Now I seem to be having some issues with focus and optical zoom.

Earlier this week I couldn't focus beyond halfway through the optical zoom range. It turned out to be set on MF instead of the I.AF it was on earlier. No idea how I turned it from autofocus to manual focus. Nor do I have any idea how I got out of MF reverting back to I.AF, but after toggling the joystick numerous times it did. Unfortunately it appears the switch doesn't seem to be covered in the manual.

This afternoon, I tried zooming again, using autofocus, and noticed I couldn't focus anywhere past 60 or 70 percent of the zoomrange.

Second problem was that the image started twitching when using the zoom and I.AF.

When shooting objects further away the zoom can still be used and retain focus.

I can't seem to engange MF Manual focus, so no idea if the camera is at the end of its focus abilities.

Is this normal, or did I get a dodgy unit?

I did record a 5 second clip of the twitching, but don't know how to upload or share the example here.

I suspect that you are zooming in and then trying to focus on an object that is too close for the camera to focus on. The focus distance does change across the zoom range. Try focusing on something that is farther than 3 or 4feet away and see if the problem persists.

I have the HG20, and can't speak for the HF11, but I am pretty sure that the change from auto to manual focus is covered in the manual, but I don't have it on me right now. I think, that it is one of the joystick functions, like you mentioned. Push the joystick in, then scroll down through the functions until you hit the focus function, then hit up to toggle manual focus on and off.
post #276 of 335 Old 05-15-2009, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah too close to focus, hoped it was something inherent to the camera. AF also works better with more light, turning on the build-in mini videolight for instance. Icouldn't get it to change using the focus entry in the joystick menu. Getting back from MF to I.AF a few days ago took me twenty times toggling to see the I.AF appear on the screen.

Edit: and I found how to toggle between MF and AF. left/right doesn't register. Down is to the next option (Mic or Exp), so what's left but to go up. This toggles the focus regime. In MF left and right offer a limited focus range.
post #277 of 335 Old 05-15-2009, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

The HF11 is $699.99 at Amazon now. I'm sure everyone else will follow. I noticed that Costco now has the HF200, which makes me wonder if they will carry the HF11 at some point in the near future.

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #278 of 335 Old 05-16-2009, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rttrek View Post

I second this. Use one disk as your system disk (C[IMG]http://www.*****************/trafficreport/img/3721/k08t1221bbuq/gdsmile.gif[/IMG] and another for video data.

I use this method but I'm not good in this,
Hope this work.
post #279 of 335 Old 05-16-2009, 05:48 AM

First try: I shot video with removable memory card, the video was stunning sharp and beautiful.
Later:I found out that the big built in memory card is not that great; I prefer to pull out the card to watch video with PS3 right away after record the video. With buil in memory I have to burn it to the disk and it takes forever!It takes a long time to transfer the file from camcorder to PC.
post #280 of 335 Old 05-16-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cads View Post

First try: I shot video with removable memory card, the video was stunning sharp and beautiful.
Later:I found out that the big built in memory card is not that great; I prefer to pull out the card to watch video with PS3 right away after record the video. With buil in memory I have to burn it to the disk and it takes forever!It takes a long time to transfer the file from camcorder to PC.

Do you "HAVE" to burn it to AVCHD disc ?

Did you try powering the camcorder with the adapter power cord and hooking it up to your PS3 with the supplied miniUSB to USB cable ?
post #281 of 335 Old 05-16-2009, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Copy the items from the internal memory to a memory card in the camera, pull the memory card out, stick it in your player.
post #282 of 335 Old 05-16-2009, 05:41 PM

I just got Vixia HF11. I am going on a 3 week trip where i will need to store all the video (shooting 2-3 hrs a day) until i return. i was told that the only way to do this is to get a netbook (can't take laptop, weight is an issue, i will have to carry it around with me) and an external hard drive. i am about to order both. i am also assuming that i will need an additional battery and SD card. any opinion on what charger/battery to get, what SD card and what software (if any) i will need. should i get a big 32 gig card and a reader to transfer faster? i will not have the time to sit around for hours transferring the video. voltage there is 220 not 110 as in US. do i need any thing special for that? i assume converter as usual when traveling overseas?
Any advice is much appreciated. thank you
post #283 of 335 Old 05-16-2009, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by saphira2021 View Post

I just got Vixia HF11. I am going on a 3 week trip where i will need to store all the video (shooting 2-3 hrs a day) until i return. i was told that the only way to do this is to get a netbook (can't take laptop, weight is an issue, i will have to carry it around with me) and an external hard drive. i am about to order both...

It sounds like a cool idea, but are you sure the processor/RAM in a netbook will transfer the gigs of files from the HF11 fast enough? You can set it to transfer each day overnight...what I am saying is that many netbooks don't have very powerful processors and typically 1 gig of RAM, a lot of which is just running the operating system...compared to notebooks/desktops with faster processors/more RAM.

There have already been reports from people that transfer from HF11 internal memory to desktop is very slow (although I don't know if this is a universal problem).

Maybe you heard from someone who has already tried this with the netbook and HF11?

There is also the option of getting a portable storage device:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....y=0&Go=submit

I don't know if they are compatible with the HF11 USB...the SDHC cards shouldn't be a problem in that the portable devices are not file-specific, just a storage device like a hard drive.
Ask the retailer to be sure.
I've never tried them myself.
post #284 of 335 Old 05-17-2009, 04:37 PM

I'm experiencing choppy video when I pan (even when panning slowly). I should clarify a bit - it's the background which is choppy and enough to make me notice it.

I'm using MXP and 60i frame rate...what is causing this?

[edit] interesting, it's the pc and not the camera at all as I just tested it by hooking directly up to the tv. All of the video is perfect and chop free. Interesting too as my hardware is very new (i7, 6GB DDR3 Ram, 9800GTX+ etc). I guess it could be my lcd monitor?[/end edit]
post #285 of 335 Old 05-17-2009, 06:53 PM
osv
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch P. View Post

I'm experiencing choppy video when I pan (even when panning slowly). I should clarify a bit - it's the background which is choppy and enough to make me notice it.

I'm using MXP and 60i frame rate...what is causing this?

[edit] interesting, it's the pc and not the camera at all as I just tested it by hooking directly up to the tv. All of the video is perfect and chop free. Interesting too as my hardware is very new (i7, 6GB DDR3 Ram, 9800GTX+ etc). I guess it could be my lcd monitor?[/end edit]

what software media player are you using?
post #286 of 335 Old 05-18-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osv View Post

what software media player are you using?

Zoom player pro. Could that be it?
post #287 of 335 Old 05-18-2009, 10:27 AM
osv
AVS Special Member

i'm thinking that it's time to experiment with the media players, and the settings that are used... what you see on your pc lcd should look very similar to what you see on your big screen tv, if everything is working right.

i don't remember using the zoom player before... have you tried downloading the free vlc media player? with your computer horsepower, it should play your avchd files back o.k., it works well with my overclocked core2quad.
post #288 of 335 Old 05-18-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechiz View Post

Do you "HAVE" to burn it to AVCHD disc ?

Did you try powering the camcorder with the adapter power cord and hooking it up to your PS3 with the supplied miniUSB to USB cable ?

I ll try thanks!
post #289 of 335 Old 05-19-2009, 05:52 AM

What are folks using for their flash memory in their HF11?

The whole class 4 vs class 6? Good places to buy?

I started reading about the copying from the internal to the external and can it or can it not be done. I will be only using the camcorder for b-days and special events and most likely be dumping to pc shortly there after. So I know the internal would be more then sufficient, but I am hearing the quality is not as good, so this is prompting my flash memory question.

Lastly, B&Hphoto still has this unit going for $699. Amazon had it for that, but has since gone back up to $800+. So I got in on that short and small window.

post #290 of 335 Old 05-19-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnbum88 View Post

Lastly, B&Hphoto still has this unit going for $699. Amazon had it for that, but has since gone back up to $800+. So I got in on that short and small window.

Amazon is out of stock, which is why the price is so high (the other retailer options are all charging too much). That happens all the time with Amazon, which is really annoying-if they run out of stock, your cart & wishlist get updated with a higher price from another vendor instead of simply saying "Amazon is currently out of stock, awaiting another shipment, etc."

As to the memory, I picked up a couple of the 16gb Transcend class 6 cards off Amazon (can't remember the exact merchant name) for ~$30 a card. The card has good reviews, and a number of those are from people who own the HF11.

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #291 of 335 Old 05-19-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Something I noticed...

In the manual, for each explanation of a mode (i.e. shooting video), it always starts off with the instructions to set the mode dial and then turn on the camcorder.
I don't think I've seen in the manual a point where it says, for example, "switch from the video movie mode to video playback mode (with the power still on)"...and there isn't a warning against doing this, either.

I'm sure most people switch modes with the power on; but I wonder if the instructions are implying to turn the camcorder off first before switching modes.
post #292 of 335 Old 05-19-2009, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've noticed that before, but disregard it, along with some other things.
I believe they are trying to say: it's preferred not to change modes while the red access light is on.

Also like the display message when it's plugged in the PC, don't unplug....
post #293 of 335 Old 05-20-2009, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy80 View Post

I've noticed that before, but disregard it, along with some other things.
I believe they are trying to say: it's preferred not to change modes while the red access light is on.

Also like the display message when it's plugged in the PC, don't unplug....

I hear what you're saying; it really comes down to the access light with switching modes. It just never dawned on me before what they were/weren't saying in the manual in that regard.
post #294 of 335 Old 05-21-2009, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Little folded card as a tag. And two stickers on the outside of the LCD. Instant AF/1920x1080 recording, and dual flash memory/built-in 32 GB.

Do people take these off, like they do with modern TVs, or leave them on?
post #295 of 335 Old 06-04-2009, 12:06 PM

What is the 'preferred' method for producing high or higher quality video's to watch on your TV?

Capture at the highest setting 24fps I assume. I bought an external SD card since I have read that the internal does not necessarily produce at the same quality, true or not, got another card.

Take the video and then transfer to my PC via some method, card reader, plug camera in, whatever. Probably the first since I would think this is faster.

Now when I go to use Nero9 that I have, this is where I need your opinions. What method should I pull the file into a folder? AVI, MPEG4, some other extension?

Ok, get it onto my computer and then use Nero to create a video with menus and so on. At this point I don't have a BD Burner, but will get at some point, but still think I can produce an AVCHD output to watch on my 1080i plasma.

I am sure I am missing some steps or important points, but I hope someone can point those out to me or a place to look for good advice.

post #296 of 335 Old 06-04-2009, 12:09 PM

Has anyone used one of those generic HF11 batteries I see on ebay for about $50? If yes, do you have to buy the 8 series charger or does it charge on the camcorder like the stock unit?

I know the genuine is $100+.

Would like a second one, but would like to not have to pay that much if I can avoid it.

post #297 of 335 Old 06-04-2009, 07:07 PM

I recently bought the canon hf 11. I already own final cut pro and I was wondering if anyone here is using this camera and fcp to make feature films for theatrical release?

More specifically I was wondering if someone could tell me what the best settings for this are? Both in terms of camera settings and also what setting to use when copying and importing files for editing, etc. For instance, do I want to shoot 24p or not? What's the best pathway that will create the smallest amount of compression and other image degradation.

Also, has anyone here taken footage from this camera through a professional DI grading process and blow-up to 35mm film?

If so, I would like to know if the approach should be different if I plan to blow-up to 35mm film? (again the 24p or not question)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me w this.
post #298 of 335 Old 06-04-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVboy View Post

Amazon is out of stock, which is why the price is so high (the other retailer options are all charging too much). That happens all the time with Amazon, which is really annoying-if they run out of stock, your cart & wishlist get updated with a higher price from another vendor instead of simply saying "Amazon is currently out of stock, awaiting another shipment, etc."

I once tried out the HF100 but the reds were a bit too overblown, being too pink, so thinking I might possibly have a defective unit (since friends etc also thought they didn't look right) I returned it to exchange it for another. Of course as was my luck they were out of stock. I would've been prepared to wait until they got some more in but they won't allow that, they automatically refunded my money and when they got more stock in, they initially put the price up to a whopping $899! I guess because they were getting the HF200 a that point. It hasn't come back down to the older price level but the HF200 is getting there.

newegg.com had the camera at the time for a similar price but I could not return it for a refund with them should I decide that I wanted to return it after all.

I am now looking at the HF200 vs the Sanyo. Both take great video and each has their pluses and minuses of course. The Canon has the OIS but I don't like it's weird AVCHD format where everything is recorded in 60i which seems to need a special editor to pulldown the frames into their proper format of 30p or 24p while the Sanyo mp4 format will work with my existing editors.
post #299 of 335 Old 06-05-2009, 06:09 AM

Could someone please explain how the 24p mode works and how it differs from 24p on other cameras?

thanks.
post #300 of 335 Old 06-16-2009, 05:03 AM

I got a HF11 last week. The camera is getting pretty warm even within 10-15 minutes of use. The heat/warmth I am experiencing is the kind of heat you would typically feel from the bottom of a low end laptop after couple of hours of use. But since the camcorder wouldn't have a fan to cool it off, I am a bit concerned. Even after using it for 10-15 minutes, both the top and bottom parts of the camcorder are getting pretty warm. It is not hot to touch but definitely kind of scary to see the kind of heat being dissipated. I am concerned about the long term durability if it is a defective piece. Can any HF11 users comment on the typical heat times from the camcorder. Early response appreciated to facilitate an exchange if needed.
I checked with Canon tech. support and the person I spoke with says there is no information available on the estimated times when it should become warm or hot. He however said that if CMOS sensor gets heated up, the image could turn grainier. I do see grainy image but mostly in low light conditions and not necessarily when it is warm/hot though.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page