post #181 of 335 Old 12-11-2008, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

i think i'm going to go with the bp-819...
...but if anyone owns the bp-827, feel free to weigh in on the discussion.

:d:d

I have a fever and the only cure is more Blu-Ray....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 335 Old 12-11-2008, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I'm going to go with the BP-819...
...but if anyone owns the BP-827, feel free to weigh in on the discussion.

My friend has it. He is away for holiday but when he gets back I will grab pictures of t. He use i with his hf100.
post #183 of 335 Old 12-14-2008, 04:40 PM

If I missed it I apologize; does anybody have a solution for wireless mics for the HF11?

Thanks in advance.
post #184 of 335 Old 12-14-2008, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upworks View Post

If I missed it I apologize; does anybody have a solution for wireless mics for the HF11?

Thanks in advance.

not sure what you mean?

You can use the mic input for the mic receiver..

post #185 of 335 Old 12-15-2008, 08:04 PM

Liked: 11
Any new cases out worth looking at for this camcorder? I never got around to buying one and was wondering if there is anything new I should check out. Thanks.
post #186 of 335 Old 12-17-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks-man View Post

Any new cases out worth looking at for this camcorder? I never got around to buying one and was wondering if there is anything new I should check out. Thanks.

The case logic case at TJ maxx for $12 bucks is a steal. I actually foun a 20% coupon for tjmaxx so i got it cheaper
post #187 of 335 Old 12-20-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

whats a good uv filter that doesn't break the bank for this camera ?

Also i guess a wide angle lense ?
post #188 of 335 Old 12-26-2008, 11:39 AM

I've been reading the thread and have picked up some great tips so far. I got my HF11 a few days before Christmas and have been playing around with it ever since. I picked up a clear filter to protect the lens as well as the extended battery (19) and plan to use the original battery as a backup. I also plan to pick up the external charger, so that I can charge one battery while using the other in the camcorder if I want to.

The question I can't find an answer to in the manual and haven't seen asked here yet is with regard to frame rate. I plan to record in the highest format (XP+ I think), but am not sure whether to use 60i, 30p, or 24p. I want to be able to play back using a wide variety of options, streaming from computer, burn a dvd, potentially blu ray.

I'm getting married in April in St. John and want to be able to record the events of the week, so I have some time to play around with different settings. Any discussion on frame rates would be very helpful to me!

Thanks!
post #189 of 335 Old 12-26-2008, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaneve View Post

I've been reading the thread and have picked up some great tips so far. I got my HF11 a few days before Christmas and have been playing around with it ever since. I picked up a clear filter to protect the lens as well as the extended battery (19) and plan to use the original battery as a backup. I also plan to pick up the external charger, so that I can charge one battery while using the other in the camcorder if I want to.

The question I can't find an answer to in the manual and haven't seen asked here yet is with regard to frame rate. I plan to record in the highest format (XP+ I think), but am not sure whether to use 60i, 30p, or 24p. I want to be able to play back using a wide variety of options, streaming from computer, burn a dvd, potentially blu ray.

I'm getting married in April in St. John and want to be able to record the events of the week, so I have some time to play around with different settings. Any discussion on frame rates would be very helpful to me!

Thanks!

30p is the most commonly used setting in the HF11/10/100 series. Although remember it is recorded in a 60i container so you still need to de-interlace....

Anyway, you will find 30p has the best combination of frame-rate/low light performance but at the same time looks fantastic outdoors....

I recommend using 30p in ALL of your shots. 24p is great but still is subjective to choppy shots.

I recommend you log on to vimeo.com and search 24p,300,60i and compare for yourself...these are only recommendations and ultimately you need to choose for yourself

post #190 of 335 Old 12-29-2008, 06:53 PM

Lucky you. I paid $1,500 for mine here in Oz plus courier delivery from Sydney, (I'm in Newcastle which is 160km north).

= Kev =
post #191 of 335 Old 12-29-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negitoro7 View Post

While we're on the subject of batteries,

I'm stumped right now as to whether I should get two BP-819s or one BP-827. I need them to record volleyball tournaments. Size and weight is a factor, as I will probably get my players on the bench to record occasionally as opposed to tripod recording for "variety".

I went for an extra two 809's to keep the weight down and I don't expect to need more than that many hours playtime.

= Kev =
post #192 of 335 Old 01-01-2009, 08:15 PM

great info guys, I have learned a ton just from reading posts. I just now ordered a hf11, but still have 2 questions I would love some input on.

What is a good filter (typed & brand), or filter set that words well w/ this camera?

What does a wide angle lens do, or what advantages do you gain from it (is it necessary w/ this camera)?

thanks
post #193 of 335 Old 01-02-2009, 12:42 PM

Friends,

is there any way how to control HF11 (also HF10, HF100) using remote control? DV cameras SONY and CANON had in past LANC controller which was cheap and great. Nowadays, AVCHD camcorders do not have it. Does exist some kind of "USB remote controller" which can be mounted to the tripod arm? Honestly, infrared controller which is accompanied to the HF11 is useless for effective work in the field.

Thanks

Frank
post #194 of 335 Old 01-02-2009, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKasparek View Post

Friends,

is there any way how to control HF11 (also HF10, HF100) using remote control? DV cameras SONY and CANON had in past LANC controller which was cheap and great. Nowadays, AVCHD camcorders do not have it. Does exist some kind of "USB remote controller" which can be mounted to the tripod arm? Honestly, infrared controller which is accompanied to the HF11 is useless for effective work in the field.

Thanks

Frank

I dont think you will be happy to hear that you wont be able to use any sort of external zoom control or LANC (developed by Sony in the first place)

Your options are to use the variable zoom control that you can adjust in the settings menu....

post #195 of 335 Old 01-02-2009, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKasparek View Post

Friends,

Thanks

Frank

The wireless controller that's included with the HF11 will let you perform every function, including manual zoom and focus, using just the controller.

The only thing the wireless controller can't do is change the aperture and shutter values, which have to be changed with the joystick on the camcorder.
post #196 of 335 Old 01-02-2009, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The wireless controller that's included with the HF11 will let you perform every function, including manual zoom and focus, using just the controller.

The only thing the wireless controller can't do is change the aperture and shutter values, which have to be changed with the joystick on the camcorder.

its still limited as it needs to be pointed at the IR sensor...You cant trust the wireless remote in the field.

post #197 of 335 Old 01-02-2009, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I just got my HF11 recently. Using it outdoors, I am having trouble seeing what I'm filming using the LCD panel, despite rotating it or adjusting the panel's brightness.
Thats even outdoors when somewhat overcast. Indoors its fine. What are your observations on this and any tips? Thanks.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #198 of 335 Old 01-02-2009, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

I just got my HF11 recently. Using it outdoors, I am having trouble seeing what I'm filming using the LCD panel, despite rotating it or adjusting the panel's brightness.
Thats even outdoors when somewhat overcast. Indoors its fine. What are your observations on this and any tips? Thanks.

steve check out the other thread your created with the same question no reason to post twice with the same question

post #199 of 335 Old 01-04-2009, 01:06 PM

Hey all,

I have an HF11. I wanted to know if the no-name wide-angle lens are any good. The wide attachement from canon is over $200, but these other lenses are priced between 15 to 40 dollars.

Has anyone had any experience or feedback on them? I can't post a link, but if you just go to ebay.com and search the keywords hfll wide angle lens you'll see them.

Thanks in advance.
post #200 of 335 Old 01-04-2009, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I picked up a Nikon wide-angle lens for a coolpix, along with a step-up adapter. Works great save for one problem, the light. The flared shape of the larger lens ends up blocking the flash. Stills taken with the lens attached don't get enough coverage on the right side of the picture. I'm considering the use of a separate flash because of it. I'd just like to find one best suited for the camera (not some added bulky thing).
post #201 of 335 Old 01-05-2009, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

I picked up a Nikon wide-angle lens for a coolpix, along with a step-up adapter. Works great save for one problem, the light. The flared shape of the larger lens ends up blocking the flash. Stills taken with the lens attached don't get enough coverage on the right side of the picture. I'm considering the use of a separate flash because of it. I'd just like to find one best suited for the camera (not some added bulky thing).

Thanks for the reply. I've read that the wide adapters can block the flash and i.AF sensor, and that is OK with me since I don't take stills and can do manual focus.

Can you post the model number to the parts you ordered from Nikon? Also, do you have any test videos posted online that I can view. So far, I found a few test vids using the ebay adapters from a company called "Digital Concepts". They don't look bad at all. The set comes with a wide and tele lens. So far, the reviews say the wide is great, but the tele quality is poor.
post #202 of 335 Old 01-11-2009, 08:11 PM

Hi Folks,

I just bought a new HF11 and so far I have really liked it except with getting the files off of the device.

Am I supposed to use the pixela program that came with the camera to import the files onto the computer? The program looks pretty bad and my computer just seems to get stuck each time.

I've also tried just copying the files over from the new flash drive that shows up, but it seems to get stuck on particular files that aren't even that big (66 mb) for a long time.

Is there something i'm not doing correctly?
post #203 of 335 Old 01-12-2009, 08:36 AM
osv
AVS Special Member

how long did copy for, before you stopped the process? it can take awhile, with the camera plugged into the pc.

you could experiment with shooting directly to the sd card, which is a selectable choice in the menu, then plug the card into a card reader on your pc.
post #204 of 335 Old 01-12-2009, 07:22 PM

I have been moving files off the camera without using Pixela. I find that the file transfers over USB is pretty slow. I wonder if the supplied cable is of marginal quality as it is pretty thin. I think I estimated transfer rates of 10MBps or 1/6 the USB2 spec. I know that there is controller overhead and that real world USB2 transfer rates are much lower than the rated 480Mbps, but still, this is pretty ridiculous.

I am dealing with it by multitasking: move clips around between the onboard memory and a SDHC card on the camera and copy files from the card with to the computer while burning DVD-Rs with the raw data from the previous batch. It is slow, but I archived 60+GB of data along with making a few HD DVDs with Toast in an evening.
post #205 of 335 Old 01-15-2009, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ3118 View Post

So whos got it? I just ordered mine should be here by Friday.

I was on the fence FOREVER about choosing between the HF10 and the HF11. Dont get me wrong I diddnt choose SOLEY because of the 24Mbps, but rather the sense of that in a year or less there will be mutliple 24Mbps cameras on the market and this is a decent investment for me that I wont purchase another for well over 2-3 years.

I for sure cant tell the difference in bitrate, but feel comfortable knowing I never have to wonder what it "would" look like if I bought the HF11. Yea, bite the marketing bullet.

Interesting point here with the new flash Canons, like the HF S10 and HF S100 coming out next month at, I think something like, $1400/$1200 initial release prices.

The HF100 can now be had for under $500 and the HF10 for under $600. (I know, I left out the HG20/21 HDD-based.)

The HF11, as of 1/15/09, is still about $850 in most places.

So, this has settled into a huge price difference for essentially the 24mbps.
You could get two HF100's and only be $150 off the price of one HF11.

The HF11 is going to have to drop, (or maybe they'll just run out of them and the price won't drop...lol).

I wonder what will become of the HF100/10 in the coming months; $399/$499? ...maybe they'll go higher with lack of supply?

Anyway...
post #206 of 335 Old 01-17-2009, 01:55 AM

Yeah i didn't purchase a new SD card yet, so have been reading off the memory.

I find that upon plugging the camera into the USB, it takes quite a while for the computer to recognize it. Sometimes more than 5 minutes before i can see it in my computer. Is that normal?

If i use pixela, it takes several hours (usually i leave it on overnight) and eventually it will download. If i try to copy directly through explorer it usually gets stuck.

But from the sounds of it, its not abnormally slow..? Just seems anytime i try to access the data on the camera, everything just takes forever.
post #207 of 335 Old 01-17-2009, 02:00 PM
osv
AVS Special Member

yes, that is abnormally slow... it should be recognized by the computer within one minute of hitting the button on the menu.
post #208 of 335 Old 01-20-2009, 11:01 AM

Hey everyone,

I got the HF11 for Christmas and have been really appreciating the help and info on this thread.

The question I wanted to ask you guys is that I'm finding (as I suspected) that I'm rapidly running out of hard drive space. The footage even at 5-7 Mbps has pretty huge file sizes, so how much storage would be good? 1 TB? 2? What do you all do with old footage after you're done editing it? Burn to DVD and archive?

I guess I'm just looking to see what y'all are using to corral all of the HD footage you've shot. Make and model of hard drives would be great, it gives me something to compare online.

Thanks,

- benson
post #209 of 335 Old 01-20-2009, 12:00 PM
osv
AVS Special Member

just go to ************** and watch for hdd sales... if you want to compare pricing, break it down on a cost per gig basis... 1tb drives are pretty common, so there should be some good pricing there.

i would suggest buying the drive, then consider cloning your c: drive over to it first thing, that way you'll have the programs backed up... xxcopy works perfectly, it even creates the boot sector, so that the new drive can be bootable if you want... use the computer bios to select which drive you want to boot from, but don't bounce around between the two.
post #210 of 335 Old 01-20-2009, 12:33 PM

Good idea, I'll check out fatwallet and see what I can find.

And I'd do all that fancy-sounding cloning/boot sector stuff, but like NJ3118, I'm a Mac user.

Thanks for the help osv.

- benson
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page