Canon HF11 vs. Canon HG21 vs. Sony HDR-SR12 - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 347 Old 01-26-2009, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm on a Mac and was planning on using Final Cut Express, which I've heard works now with AVCHD.

My question is basically on backing up the raw footage to DVD before I erase it from the HDD, and what size chunks it is stored in that can be backed up without worrying about being too large for a DL DVD. That's why I was asking about the file structure, to find out if new files or directories are made that could be backed up separately (and be obviously smaller).

DHK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 347 Old 01-26-2009, 10:51 AM
osv
AVS Special Member

fce still cannot do native avchd editing or smart rendering... but i think that it'll accept avchd on the timeline?

you need to backup all of the folders and files, but imho, even dl dvds are too small for serious backing up purposes... consider getting another hdd.
post #333 of 347 Old 01-26-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

How bad is the HDD spinning noise (captured in video) in these HDD based camcorders ?

[color=Blue]
psn id: hunter4life
Live Gamertag: huntre4life (notice "re" not "er" in hunter)
post #334 of 347 Old 01-26-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils View Post

How bad is the HDD spinning noise (captured in video) in these HDD based camcorders ?

Hi,

At one time, I had both the SR12 and the HG21. I couldn't hear any noise from either unless I put my ear against the side of the camcorder. Then, the noisiest was the SR12, but I still consider that negligible.

-Pam
post #335 of 347 Old 01-27-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomEngineer View Post

Hi,

At one time, I had both the SR12 and the HG21. I couldn't hear any noise from either unless I put my ear against the side of the camcorder. Then, the noisiest was the SR12, but I still consider that negligible.

-Pam

Ok that's good to know.

I'm still having hard time deciding between SR11 or Cx12

[color=Blue]
post #336 of 347 Old 01-27-2009, 07:35 PM

Canon HG21. Just my intuition. XD
post #337 of 347 Old 01-28-2009, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaretro View Post

Canon HG21. Just my intuition. XD

I'm biased towards Sony because I think that they offer more feature for money

[color=Blue]
post #338 of 347 Old 01-28-2009, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils View Post

I'm biased towards Sony because I think that they offer more feature for money

Technically speaking it seems the Canons have way more features for the money than Sony. There are far more manual controls with the Canon than the Sony offers. Otherwise Canon seems to have a better picture quality and better low light filming. The rest of the features seem to be the same. Sony does a little better with a better build quality and better still pictures.
post #339 of 347 Old 01-28-2009, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdo View Post

Technically speaking it seems the Canons have way more features for the money than Sony. There are far more manual controls with the Canon than the Sony offers. Otherwise Canon seems to have a better picture quality and better low light filming. The rest of the features seem to be the same. Sony does a little better with a better build quality and better still pictures.

Other than higher bit rate and better manual controls I do not know any other features that Canon has over Sony (excuse my ignorance in this regards). On the other hand, two of the most attractive features (for me at least) that Sony offers is smile shutter/face detection and 5.1 audio recording with zoom mic.

Since I'm a newbie in this field, the increased manual controls of Canon don't mean much to me and although the higher bit rate of Canon does produce better picture than Sony (that is still very debatable) but from all the comparisons that I've read, it seems like the difference is very minute to make any real difference.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

[color=Blue]
post #340 of 347 Old 01-29-2009, 04:59 AM

...i've had my Canon HG 21 for just over a month, and comparing it to my Sony (Mini DV) that i used for several years, imo...the Canon lens is noticably better than the Zeiss lens i had on my Sony; the autofocus is much better on the Canon (the Sony would continually go out of focus on small, fast moving objects from Day One)...the additional manual settings on the Canon (they take a little getting used to) allow you to get amazing quality in most any conditions...

...if i want a little smaller file size i just take the video in 17 MBS rather than 24 MBS...i think you can tell a slight difference in the amount of detail you get but the quality is still impressive...
post #341 of 347 Old 01-29-2009, 06:07 PM

I picked the sony hdr-sr12 over the canon hg21 because It has a bigger
lCD with better resolution, 10 MP for photo, touch screen which make it really
easy to navigate the menu, better layout, and get most the reviews from stores.
post #342 of 347 Old 01-29-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadec35 View Post

I picked the sony hdr-sr12 over the canon hg21 because It has a bigger
lCD with better resolution, 10 MP for photo, touch screen which make it really
easy to navigate the menu, better layout, and get most the reviews from stores.

Like many of us have said, either choice (SR12 or HG21) is a good one. However, the SR12 isn't truly a 10MP still camera - that value is interpolated. The menu system is more than adequate, but the touch screen doesn't necessarily make it easy to navigate. (That is simply personal preference.) Sometimes, you have to dig a few menu's deep on the SR12 to get to what you need. I do agree that the LCD is beautiful, but the autofocus does quite a bit of "hunting"; where, the HG21's autofocus is on the money.

Just my 2 cents -
Pam
post #343 of 347 Old 02-06-2009, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm seriously considering sucking it up and getting an HG12 to replace my only 1.5 YO HG10.

Anybody wanna help me justify the upgrade (or not)?

I bet Ken never owned a lowly HG10. LMAO

HDTV in my home since 1999.
post #344 of 347 Old 02-19-2009, 12:25 PM

I just got an SR11 and will be returning it. I have always enjoyed sony quality and features but the SR11 does not have frame-by-frame playback and I use that constantly in my coaching. It does have good forward slow motion but jumpy backward slow motion. My HC5 had good forward slow motion and frame by frame in HD mode, no backward frame-by-frame. It had good backward and forward frame by frame in SD mode. I will look at the canon hg21 and the new panasonic tm300. I want to go tapeless because the contant frame by frame and slo mo is a killer on tape heads.
post #345 of 347 Old 04-09-2009, 04:10 PM

please tell me is there any difference between HG21 and HF11? which one is better? please compare theire video and image quality.

Another question is that is it easy to copy the videos from AVSHD camcorders on PC, write them on DVD and play with DVD player and see them in non HD tv?
Does it need additional software for working on this type of videos?
excuse me for my beginner questions!
post #346 of 347 Old 04-09-2009, 04:52 PM

They should be the same modulo the use of flash vs. disk for storage.

Note that Canon's web site shows a bunch of new models, eg. the VIXIA HF S10, so you may wish to check those out instead.

Quote:

Another question is that is it easy to copy the videos from AVSHD camcorders on PC, write them on DVD and play with DVD player and see them in non HD tv?

DVD video is inherently SD, so some of what you ask above is moot. And it's AVCHD, not AVSHD. As for it being "easy", that very much depends on what you consider "hard" and the software and OS you're using as well as the speed of your computer. AVCHD requires lots of cycles to translate into something editable or to DVD video (which is MPEG2).

As for "additional" software, that depends entirely on your frame of reference. "Additional" compared to what? If you have up-to-date FCE, FCP, Toast, or even iMovie/iDVD, then no you don't need anything additional.
post #347 of 347 Old 04-10-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony11 View Post

They should be the same modulo the use of flash vs. disk for storage.

Note that Canon's web site shows a bunch of new models, eg. the VIXIA HF S10, so you may wish to check those out instead.

DVD video is inherently SD, so some of what you ask above is moot. And it's AVCHD, not AVSHD. As for it being "easy", that very much depends on what you consider "hard" and the software and OS you're using as well as the speed of your computer. AVCHD requires lots of cycles to translate into something editable or to DVD video (which is MPEG2).

As for "additional" software, that depends entirely on your frame of reference. "Additional" compared to what? If you have up-to-date FCE, FCP, Toast, or even iMovie/iDVD, then no you don't need anything additional.

Dear Anthony

Thanks for your help, I told that I am a beginner and I want to know what should we do with this format of videos provided with HD camcorders. How can we edit them, How can we see them on TV (non HD TV). please guide me in details.

Thanks for your help and best regards (Please excuse me for any mistake in my english, because I am Persian)
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page