Originally Posted by TRaymond
Last couple of questions then I'll leave the discussion of which is better to better people
I know I'll have to go in search of another thread (or create my own), but seeing as how I've come to know all of you so well......
1.) Accessories for Sony SR12. Especially Tripod. I don't want to spend 500 bucks on one or anything, but I will miss my remote controlled tripod, but won't miss the crappy pan head on it nor will i miss it's puny 57" span.
2.) I will someday soon move up to Final Cut Studio 2. But for today...it's Final Cut Express. Can anyone reccommend any good FCE websites/blogs/forums? Most of the info out there is for FCP and some of it doesn't line up with FCE (like the ProRES 422 codec. God why can't they give that to us....Seems like a dream compared to AIC).
3.) Other Accessories like Microphone. When I record a choir concert or play, I'm usually at the back of the Elementary cafeteria on top of a table with the tripod. How do I get better audio (or do I). Do I need to record audio separately with some other equipment, then mix the two?
That will do for now. Any pointing in the right direction would be lovely!!!
Thanks in advance, and as for this thread, I've deciced on the SR-12...(Unless anyone can convince me otherwise between now and the time I get the HG21 boxed up
Well, I can't be of much help yet. I havent' finished my testing. However, you do not have to give up the remote control tripod. Sony makes a RC Tripod VCR-80AV that will work with the SR12.
The only thing that I can add - which is the little bit of testing that I have done today, is
1. SR12 in low light drops down to 1/30 second shutter speed; however, the HG21 stays at 1/60 second. That is why in low-light, the HG21 doesn't have that "jerky" look that the SR12 makes. However, the HG21 is a little darker, but I only tested this with the LCD on the camera. I plan to actually video my dark hallway while zooming, etc.. and check it out on the HD TV.
2. The color trailing effect that I noticed with the HG21 on outside filming isn't quite as visible with an HDMI cable - for what it's worth. I would really like to know how to fix this issue.
3. The 24mbps is still an issue for me.
By the way, I have 2 questions:
1. Does anyone know of a way to see the camera settings onscreen while recording ie. shutter speed, aperature value, etc.. or can this only be accomplished during playback.
2. I read that the HG21 has a built-in video light, is this true? If so, how do you turn it on?