Camcorder direct to external hard drive? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-15-2008, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Canon HV20 camcorder and I want to be able to transfer the video from my MiniDV tapes directly to a firewire external hard drive... this bypassing my computer. Is this possible?

Or what about recording directly to an external hard drive instead of the internal MiniDV tape?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-15-2008, 11:17 AM
osv
AVS Special Member

i used the firestore fs-4 hard drive instead of tape on my canon xl1s, but it requires a firewire connection... does the hv20 have firewire?
post #3 of 7 Old 10-15-2008, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrist View Post

Or what about recording directly to an external hard drive instead of the internal MiniDV tape?

You can't omit the tape with the HV20, but you can hook up a hardrive and record parallel to it. It's NOT cheap though!

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HVR-DR60-.../dp/B000IF9OVS
post #4 of 7 Old 10-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

osv, the HV20 has Firewire, right above its HDMI out port.

A few months ago Canon sent me a newsletter with some camcorder accessories, among them 2 external Canon hard drives compatible with the HV20/30 and other Canon cameras. Like bigbarney said, it isn't cheap. I believe the higher capacity model was about $3K (don't remember how much space each had). IIRC they stated that it was possible to eliminate tapes while using the HDMI out as a passthrough to the external drive but I could be wrong.

post #5 of 7 Old 10-15-2008, 05:09 PM
osv
AVS Special Member

o.k., i did some poking around about this issue.

you shouldn't need to run tape with the fs-4, it'll record directly to the hdd without any tape in the camera... with my xl1s, there is a red flashing icon for no tape, but there is also an icon in the viewfinder that tells me when the fs-4 goes into record mode... all i have to do is hit the record button on the camera, because it controls the fs-4 via the firewire.

focus enhancements makes the fs-4 series of hdd recorders, and there is a specific fs-4 pro(hdv-capable) version that has a canon moniker, it's called fs-c.

you can buy the old fs-4(dv-capable) units and upgrade 'em to an fs-4 pro, which a number of people have reported works with the hv20... i think that the upgrade is maybe around $325(??)... way overpriced for what is probably a simple flash on an eprom.

here is a thread about various fs-4/fs-c/hv20 stuff: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/focus-enh...-topics-9.html

one thing to note is that focus enhancements has declared bankruptcy, but all operations are reported to be continuing as normal.

there are hdmi recording units, but they are not cheap... probably better quality picture than the hdv fs-4/fs-c units, tho.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-17-2008, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

I was sort of wrong. The external high capacity Canon drive I referenced is $2K, is 100GB capacity and is used in parallel with tape using the Firewire port.

The often mentioned Black Magic Intensity capture card is the one used with HDMI connected to an external computer. Just hope that it doesn't slip out while recording.

post #7 of 7 Old 10-18-2008, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Yeah... I know that there are some cams that can bypass the tape to record to HDD via firewire.... but the HV20 isn't one of them (It's just a consumer level cam)
Reply Camcorders