JVC MiniDV Camcorder "SafeGuard Mode" - Pinch Roller Fell Out? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-04-2008, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My JVC GR-DF550 Camcorder will not play/record and immediately goes into "safe guard" then shuts-down. At about this same time a small black round piece fell out from inside the machine. I still have the piece and am almost 100% sure that it is the "pinch roller", it looks very much like this...

The roller is very small and from what I read may have had a c-clip or something else that kept it in place. I have not found anything other pieces inside the machine.

I'd like to have it fixed and have written JVC customer service. I don't want to spend a lot of money and I'm wondering if anyone else is knowledgeable about this.

Does any have any idea if this is something I could fix myself? I'd like to be able to just re-attach the roller but I don't know how it is fixed to the post. I wouldn't be surprised if it can't be re-attached and an entire assembly would need to be replaced.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has had similar problems with their camcorder and how it ended up being fixed successfully (or not). Has anyone shipped their camcorder off to be fixed and been happy with the results?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-04-2008, 08:27 AM
osv
AVS Special Member

i'd be concerned about where the c-clip went, and whether or not it'll show up later and wreck something.

is it a mini-dv camcorder? you should be able to pick up new one for $200 or less, which is probably going to be comparable to the repair bill.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-04-2008, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by osv View Post

i'd be concerned about where the c-clip went, and whether or not it'll show up later and wreck something.

is it a mini-dv camcorder? you should be able to pick up new one for $200 or less, which is probably going to be comparable to the repair bill.

I don't know for sure whether it actually has a c-clip or not. I never saw/heard any other parts and I suppose it could be "pressed" in? I would love to get my hands on a Service-Manual or exploded-view diagram. Can't seem to find any anywhere. I'm not sure JVC even publishes one. I am very hesitant to have anyone look at it other then shipping it off to JVC.

I actually went by my local Circuit City and looked at the current JVC Mini-DV offerings. That is how I came to believe it is the "pinch roller" that fell out. I also noticed that prices have come down to ~$200 and as you noted, a repair won't make a lot of sense if it gets up in that range. I'm a little wary of purchasing another JVC though.

Anyone ever replace fixed a similar problem on a Camcorder or had a JVC serviced at their own expense?
post #4 of 8 Old 11-07-2008, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

With the cost of having these thing fixed, it's looking more and more to me like I have a $400 (original price) paper weight on my hands, all because of a $5 missing piece. Since I will most likely throw it in the trash, it can't hurt to try and fix it myself! With that in mind, can someone out there do me a HUGE favor?????...

If there is anyone out there who owns a JVC MiniDV model similar to the one above, can you take a digital picture of an extreme close-up of the tape mechanism. Specifically the pinch-roller and capstan area? If this could clarify how the pinch roller is attached, I might just be able to fix it myself.

Any help on this is really appreciated!!
post #5 of 8 Old 01-08-2009, 11:36 AM

I'm looking for a parts camera to fix my jvc gr-df550u, the IEEE (DV) plug got mashed up by the neighbor. I can see where your roller goes, will send photos if you are still waiting.

Sure is a fun to use!!
post #6 of 8 Old 01-08-2009, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit33 View Post

I'm looking for a parts camera to fix my jvc gr-df550u, the IEEE (DV) plug got mashed up by the neighbor. I can see where your roller goes, will send photos if you are still waiting.

Sure is a fun to use!!

While it was working I really like it too. I'm still wanting to get this fixed somehow!

Can you post (or send me) photos? The closer and more zoomed in you get on that area (pinch roller) the better. I still have the black roller but I have a feeling there is some kind of tiny cap that kept it on that is now long gone

I actually emailed JVC and called JVC Authorized Support. It's near impossible to get anyone to talk to and even if you do, they aren't techs and can't give you any useful info on whether it's worth sending in to fix or not. I have a feeling I'll go through all the trouble and then get a quote that will be more than a new one would cost (by they way the only JVC MiniDV models that still available are no where near as good).

Just wondering, has ANYONE, ANYONE out there ever sent a broken camcorder in to ANY Authorized Service Center (JVC, Sony, etc) and been happy with the result?
post #7 of 8 Old 01-08-2009, 09:09 PM

Here is a pic of mine.

The pin that this roller is on moves down toward the video heads when the tape is loaded and running. When in this mode it probably gives the best access to the roller.

To get the roller down by the head, open the case. The metal tape carrier will pop up and open to allow the tape to be loaded/unloaded. Remove the tape and then close the tape carrier. The roller in question will move down about 1/2 inch and will be accessible.

My roller looks like yours. It is black on the outside, then brassy looking then a thin black piece that is attached to the silver metal pin. The black piece on the pin does not turn when the roller turns, it looks to be what holds the roller on the pin.

The metal pin that holds this roller is mounted on a small strip of metal, not robust. I tugged on mine to see if it would slide off, it did not. If you wanted to do any real pushing/pulling i would recommend opening up the case and exposing all the guts first.

Good luck!

btw I'm looking for replacement parts for mine so be gentle and don't throw nothing away!!!
LL
post #8 of 8 Old 01-09-2009, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

While I have the roller, I never did find anything that looks like the thin black cap in the pic. Without that piece, I'm not sure I will ever be able to fix it myself.

I'm still thinking though I might try to put the roller back on and see what happens. If it looks to temporarily work, I might send it in and tell them exactly that.

As far as part go most of the stuff you can order from JVC is "accessories" and it may be impossible to get that part. I assume you've already looked into/tried ordering it directly from them here...

http://www.jvcservice.com/service/JM...Nbr=GR-DF550US

It would be nice if they had pics or even a cross reference with an exploded view of the camera but I think I'm dreaming there.

You could also try eBay for a parts-camera, I have seen this exact model on sale there.

Good luck on your search for a replacement part and thanks again for the posting - much appreciate the picture!
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page