Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 679 Old 06-19-2010, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painguy View Post

oh thx, but i already solved that problem already :P. I appreciate your concern either way. If its not to much trouble could you help me with my above problem.

Motion blur? If you play your video back on your camera and you don't see any motion blur your fine. When you play it back on your computer you will see blur because the files are very high quality HD. If you want to play your videos back online (YouTube, etc.) you need to reduce the size and quality. Your video will still look great. If you read the rest of this thread you will find different software to do this process.

Some folks just choose alternate realities, and there's nothing that can be put into words here that will co·ax them out of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 679 Old 06-19-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docism View Post

Motion blur? If you play your video back on your camera and you don't see any motion blur your fine. When you play it back on your computer you will see blur because the files are very high quality HD. If you want to play your videos back online (YouTube, etc.) you need to reduce the size and quality. Your video will still look great. If you read the rest of this thread you will find different software to do this process.

oh i see. are you sure there isnt a way to reduce it during capture. I read a while back that reducing teh shutter speed should reduce motion blur a bit.
post #663 of 679 Old 06-19-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painguy View Post

oh i see. are you sure there isnt a way to reduce it during capture. I read a while back that reducing teh shutter speed should reduce motion blur a bit.

Personally, I just use easy or cinema and I get great video every time so I couldn't advise you about the settings.

Some folks just choose alternate realities, and there's nothing that can be put into words here that will co·ax them out of that.
post #664 of 679 Old 06-21-2010, 04:22 PM

Has anyone found a lens hood that will fit the Canon Wide Converter WD-H37 II?

post #665 of 679 Old 07-25-2010, 01:41 AM

Hi, I have a HG20, and realised that a lot of recorded videos are read-able anymore and thumbnails are replaced by a question mark (?).

Has anyone already experienced such? how can I solve that?

Many thanks
vince

Antec NSK2480 case
GigaByte GA-E7AUM-DS2H
Intel Dual Core E5200
Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1TB
Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X4096-6400C5/G 4GB
XP 32-bit
feeding a Sony Bravia 40w4000
post #666 of 679 Old 08-02-2010, 05:42 PM

Favor. Could somebody guide me through the exact clicks & buttons to push on the HG20 to connect the camcorder to the PC via USB?

My daughter dropped the camera and the screen no longer works. It's been a long time and I cannot remember what on-screen prompts need to be answered. I'd like to download my video before sending in for repair. Canon technical support says it would be too difficult to walk me through over the phone, so hopefully somebody here is willing to help!
post #667 of 679 Old 08-02-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoney View Post

Favor. Could somebody guide me through the exact clicks & buttons to push on the HG20 to connect the camcorder to the PC via USB?

My daughter dropped the camera and the screen no longer works. It's been a long time and I cannot remember what on-screen prompts need to be answered. I'd like to download my video before sending in for repair. Canon technical support says it would be too difficult to walk me through over the phone, so hopefully somebody here is willing to help!

Have you connected your camcorder to your computer via USB before? If so, then you don't need to do anything:
- set the dial to video playback (3rd icon from the top, blue camcorder icon)
- plug in the power cord
- plug in the USB cord and connect it to the same computer that you've connected before
- turn on the camcorder
- wait about 10 seconds you should hear the USB device connect notice sound on Windows
- then open "Computer", in there you should see "CANON", open it, then open "AVCHD" folder, "BDMV", then all your videos should be in "STREAM" folder
(All your photos are located at "DCIM" folder)

If you have never connected your camcorder to your PC before, then what you can do is connect your camcorder to your TV via either standard AV cable, Composite, or HDMI. Then your TV will display what is being displayed on your camcorder's LCD, then you can proceed on connecting your camcorder to your PC via USB.

The only question the camcorder will ask is for confirmation of whether or not you want to connect it to your PC via USB.
post #668 of 679 Old 08-03-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoney View Post

bummer!!
If you are using the Canon software Image Mixer to download your clips from the camera to your system, you don't need to answer any prompts on the screen. Just plug in the power, the USB cable and launch the program. It will list all the clips on the HDD that you can select and backup to your system. Just make sure power is plugged in. It will not work even if you have full battery.
Good Luck!!
post #669 of 679 Old 08-07-2010, 02:26 PM

Hello

I have had my Canon HG20 for well over a year and just recently videoed for my sisters wedding a few weeks ago. Well I gave my camera and charger to my oldest son to make sure the camera was charged at the wedding and it appears that the charger has disappeared since he doesn't know where it might be and no one in the wedding party can locate it.

So instead of buying the actual replacement from Canon I was hoping to find an aftermarket AC charger...not one to put the battery into but one that plugs into the camera...since the manual says that in order to pull stuff off the HDD you need to have the camera plugged into the wall charger. Or at least from what I remember since we are in the middle of moving and I can't locate the manual either.

So any recommendations on good AC aftermarket type chargers or am I stuck with using a separate battery charger only.

Well I kinda answered my own question and have ordered this from Amazon...http://www.amazon.com/Kinamax-CA-570...pr_product_top

We will see how it works since I gotta have it ASAP.
post #670 of 679 Old 09-03-2010, 06:00 PM

Hi im back again. I have a few more questions.

My first question is about buying a wide angle lense for my HG20. I hear alot about the WD-H37 II, but what are my other options, the WD-H37 has some annoying barrel distortion that rly annoys me. Is there a better wider lense that i can get? If its larger than than the 37mm of the Canon (like the Raynox 6600 52mm) what are the best adapters to get and and will it have the black ring showing?

My second question is in regards to the framerate that the camera shoots in. I have it set to 24p, but when i load the video in vegas it is interlaced. Is this because of the wrapper? I dont want to deinterlace the video every time, and i dont want to have any interlacing present either. What should I do in vegas to prevent this if possible.

thx in advance
post #671 of 679 Old 09-15-2010, 07:19 PM

Just wondering if anyone had any idea why there's an audible hiss every time I plug in an external mic into my Canon HG20. I've used a boom mic and a lav mic and both had the same result. I've used the mics with other cameras so I know they're not the issue. I've messed with the camcorder's settings and even tried hooking up a Beachtek mixer but nothing has worked.

Has anyone else had this issue? Camera's pretty stellar in other regards but if I can't sort this out I'll have to exchange it for something more accommodating. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
post #672 of 679 Old 10-11-2010, 08:21 PM

First off, thank you for everyone that's posted here. I think that if anyone can help, someone in this forum can. Here's my situation...

I have an HG20. I've actually had the camera talking to my laptop before. Haven't synced/backed up with the laptop in about 6 months. When I went to try again, the compter doesn't recognize it anymore.

I've reinstalled the software for the camera several times, and still no luck. I keep getting the prompt that there is no driver installed and gives me options to "locate and install," "ask again later," and "don't show again." I've tried installing the software from Canon and the supplied disk. I've tried different USB cables and ports. I feel like I've tried everything available to me and I really need help. Thank you in advance.
post #673 of 679 Old 07-31-2011, 08:18 AM

Hi, I have the canon HG20 camcorder and am planning a trip to Peru. Most of the trip will be at high altitude, so I'm wondering if I can't use the camera at all, or whether I can use it if I only write to the SD card? Anyone know?
post #674 of 679 Old 10-27-2011, 08:08 AM

Liked: 11
Wondering if any one can help with my HG20. This camcorder has worked flawlessly until this weekend when the batteries (I have 2) have both refused to charge. When I plug the camera in, the red charging light blinks quickly and the battery level does not increase regardless of the amount of time I leave it plugged in for.

I have verified that that charger will power the camera w/o a battery in it so I don't think the charger is the culprit. At the same time I have a hard time believing that both batteries would crap out at the same time.

Any advice?

Thanks.
post #675 of 679 Old 10-27-2011, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoniqueGiles View Post

Hi, I have the canon HG20 camcorder and am planning a trip to Peru. Most of the trip will be at high altitude, so I'm wondering if I can't use the camera at all, or whether I can use it if I only write to the SD card? Anyone know?

it works @ altitude with SD; altitude issues are due to the magnetic/mechanical hard drive...
post #676 of 679 Old 03-12-2012, 01:48 PM

What software are you using to convert video into mkv or avi (sharing via email)?

thanks
vince

Antec NSK2480 case
GigaByte GA-E7AUM-DS2H
Intel Dual Core E5200
Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1TB
Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X4096-6400C5/G 4GB
XP 32-bit
feeding a Sony Bravia 40w4000
post #677 of 679 Old 03-15-2012, 03:11 PM

I'm using Sony Vegas 9 Platinum. Does everything I could think of doing. Not the simplest thing, but I guess that goes hand-in-hand with that fact that it does so much. The problem for me is that it is a bit slow and reviewing my videos in Vegas are very choppy because my PC is not powerful enough - 5 year old Pentium D with upgrade to 3GB RAM.

PS Network Name: radckh
post #678 of 679 Old 03-15-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vblanche View Post

What software are you using to convert video into mkv or avi (sharing via email)?

I'll add to Vince's question and ask what kind of computer your using to edit your HD videos. I'm thinking about upgrading from my 5 year old Pentium D to a new one and need some opinions:

iMac vs (similarly configured) PC - i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD

Would one of those be enough power to nicely and smoothly edit and review HD video?

THANKS!
Rob

PS Network Name: radckh
post #679 of 679 Old 07-14-2012, 11:14 AM

I have just purchased a Canon HG20 camcorder. I purchased it as new. I am satisfied with the video image of the videos, but the sound is rubbish. The base noise of the built in microphone is very high. You can hear the hiss at a very high level, as if the wind was blowing all the time. And the sensitivity of the microphone is not very high. The sounds are quiet. If you increase the microphone recording volume, the sound increases, but also the hiss. And also it seems as if there was a slight echo in the sound. Everything seems okay, video is great, no hard drive noise from the machinery, but that base noise of the mic is awful. I had several camcorders: JVC GZ-MG35, JVC GZ-HM300, Samsung HMX-H200 and I also have a Sanyo HD1000, every of them had way much better sound than this camcorder. The Sanyo HD1000 had similar base noise, but not this high an disturbing. Considering this camcorder is much more expensive than those, it is a kind of disappointment.

Is this sound quality normal with this camcorder, or maybe I purchased a fake product? I purchased it from eBay from a UK seller, and it arrived in sealed condition. It has every items, the machine looks exactly as other HG20 I checked on photos. I purchased it from this seller, he is selling these from week to week:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-Camcorder-HG20-100-Charity-BNIB-/261066287127?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item3cc8c36817&clk_rvr_id=364305816923&afsrc=1

Here is a sample below for downloading (it downloads fast). My friend is talking a bit in the video, so you can compare the volunme of the speech and the hiss:

http://forum.videohelp.com/attachments/13097-1342289194/00003.MTS
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page