Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 679 Old 12-11-2008, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

I could definitely see the possibility for issues with a cache if I were writing to the device. But reading only, not sure what could go wrong. But, I know the safe route is to use the "stop" service just wondered if anyone had any real experience not using it.

It appears that the HG20's HDD is set up as 'write-cache disabled', so I tend to agree that the risk for data corruption is theoretically very low. I have several USB HDD drives and MP3 players, and none have ever been damaged by 'unsafely' removing them. I believe stopping a USB device only quiesces the transmission of data. I don't think it stops power to the bus or anything, does it?

That said, Canon did take extra steps to deter users from unplugging it hot (warning messages on screen and in the manual, requiring AC power to connect). I own several Canon flash-based cameras, and have never seen much emphasis on this before, so maybe they are aware of a potential for damage. I have an old buddy from high school that designs USB/HDD controllers for a major semiconductor. I'll try to ping him and get his take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 679 Old 12-11-2008, 05:32 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks, apet. That would be great.

ebr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #93 of 679 Old 12-11-2008, 05:49 PM

Is there a difference between the Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultimate and the Pinnacle Studio Plus?

I'm sure I can spring for it either way, and I am pretty unsatisfied with the ImageMixer. Just wondering what the major differences were between the two.

PS Network Name: fadoodled
post #94 of 679 Old 12-11-2008, 05:53 PM

oh yeah... and can my computer handle it? I was looking at the specs online and I wasn't sure about my processor. I have an Intel Core Duo @ 2.0 GHz (that's my only real concern), 3 GB RAMM (should be plenty), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS with 512 MB video card, and 150 GB of storage (with an external HDD for extra storage, which I'm going to need).

PS Network Name: fadoodled
post #95 of 679 Old 12-11-2008, 08:35 PM

This may be a total noob thing, but bear with me. When I plug in my HG20, the software included with the HG20 automatically opens. When I click on the "Save Files to PC" button, choose the clips to save, and hit the save button, the files transfer to my PC.

Here's my question. When I open up Windows Explorer to view the files, the files in the STREAM folder on the HG20's hard drive are .MTS files. However, the files that are now on my PC are of the type "MPEG-2 Transport stream" according to Windows Explorer, which I assume are not the .MTS files.

A couple of questions:

1. What is the software doing behind the scenes? Is it converting the video clips to a different format than what they are on the HG20's hard drive?

2. For proper archiving and backup, should I be copying the folders and files from the HG20's hard drive to my PC (where I can then save to a backup drive, DVD or Blu-Ray disc, etc.)?

Thanks for helping educate me!

Jason
post #96 of 679 Old 12-11-2008, 09:30 PM
osv
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Nut View Post

Here's my question. When I open up Windows Explorer to view the files, the files in the STREAM folder on the HG20's hard drive are .MTS files. However, the files that are now on my PC are of the type "MPEG-2 Transport stream" according to Windows Explorer, which I assume are not the .MTS files.

the .mts files are the h.264 codec wrapped in an mpeg-2 transport stream... i don't know what the canon software is doing, i've never run it.

.mts files are where the video is at, that's why they are so big... one of the things that all of those other files give you is the little screen grab on your flip-out lcd, so you'll be able to tell what clip is what.

the only thing that i ever keep is the .mts, but ultimately it's dependant on whatever editor you are using.

post #97 of 679 Old 12-12-2008, 04:23 PM

If I wanted to convert it to avi files, for editting purposes, what bitrate settings or format should I use? I capture in 24mbps. Resolution and audio will stay the same.
post #98 of 679 Old 12-12-2008, 06:56 PM
osv
AVS Special Member

what i convert to is the canopus hq codec, and the files are roughly 7x bigger than the original mts files... but it plays back o.k. in the editing timeline, unless you have a bunch of layers and such... i just use the default settings, the audio gets converted from ac3 to uncompressed.

if you are on a mac, prores would be the codec to use.

post #99 of 679 Old 12-12-2008, 09:28 PM

Ordered my HG20 from Amazon on BlackFriday. For the price, I couldn't pass it up. Amazon had it for 550 with the 827 battery. I have used it a few times since I got it on Monday. As for the picture quality, its fantastic. I bought a 16GB SDHC right away as a backup and for quickly playing movies on the PS3. The kids had their Christmas program tonight. Low light was no problem with the Aperture-Priority AE setting. I plugged the flash card reader into the PS3 and it looked so good up on the HD TV.

As for transferring to the computer, usb is pretty quick. For those that have macs, its really easy. Plug in the camera via usb, start up iMovie or FCP2, and import.

shez
post #100 of 679 Old 12-13-2008, 02:07 AM

Any lens filter suggestions? Brand?
post #101 of 679 Old 12-13-2008, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

Understood, but when I'm not even writing to this device (only reading off of it) what could happen...?

You could easily lose all data on the drive.

Always use the 'safely remove' on every USB device.

"As iron is eaten away by rust, so the envious are consumed by their own passion." - Antisthenes
post #102 of 679 Old 12-14-2008, 08:42 AM

Hi all,
I am a newbie to this forum & Camcorders.
So I am planing to get HG20 and got couple question which I want to clarify.
Please forgive if these are already answered, but I couldnt get any understandable information

1. First, I want to know if we can get HD video into a DVD Video which could be played in a normal DVD player (Not any HD DVD player, Bluray player or PS3, etc ...)
The reason for this is I want to share my recorded videos with people who dont have HD TV s or other HD / Blu Ray players.

2. Second, if above could be done, what software should I use for conversion ???

These two question will decide whether to go for this baby or resort to MiniDV camcorder

Please give me an answer/link that could clarify this.

Thanks In Advance.

Cheers!!!
~cc003d~
post #103 of 679 Old 12-14-2008, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
can someone clarify - is the only difference between the HG20 and HG21 60GB of hard drive space? only difference?

If so, that's not worth $300 to me and I'll probably go HG20. Even 60GB of SDHC cards isn't $300, and I can always buy more anyway.
post #104 of 679 Old 12-14-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

can someone clarify - is the only difference between the HG20 and HG21 60GB of hard drive space? only difference?

I think the hg21 has a viewfinder as well which many love to have.
post #105 of 679 Old 12-14-2008, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah thanks. Seems like a small viewfinder, I don't know if that's worth it to me.
post #106 of 679 Old 12-14-2008, 09:45 PM

Ok, I have now played enough with the HG20 and the Pixela to write an "update".
First and foremost, to anyone who is contemplating buying the HG20 for its reputation for Low light performance, GO FOR IT.
I am very critical when it comes to Low light videos, mostly because most of the videos I shoot are Low light (kids) and I can say with confidence that this camera has surpassed any and ALL expectations I had. I am still confused as to how this little thing with the little lens can make such vibrant, crisp and colorful Low light/indoors videos.
2ndly, so far, I have played the videos directly from the camera on my 42" Panny Plasma and on my 106" Dalite Screen via Sanyo Z4 (a 720P projector) and all I can say is that teh results were stellar, especially on the 106" screen where any and all drawbacks in the video shoudl have been obvious. I took a couple of close ups of shrubs, leaves etc in my yard on a sunny day, and the video could easily have been from Discovery HD.
I have also played the video directly from the camera thru the PS3 using a USB cable and everything worked like a charm.
I recently purchased 2 500GB Seagate External drives and the videos are being backed up on the drives. My Core 2 1.87 Laptop with 2 GB of Ram and 256 MB ATI card is making DVDs, Editing via Pixela without a problem, I have only seen the CPU at 83% (highest so far).
Of course, saving and editing 4 GB+ files IS taking a while so I keep those tasks for late night and start the DVD Burn process right before going to bed.
Please let me know if you have any question, I will be happy to answer.
And I woudl like to Thank Everyone on this forum, without this forum I woudl have spent $300 more and bought a Sony (legacy Sony customer), not that there is anything worng with Sony, its just that I am happy to get the same or better results by spending far less money.
post #107 of 679 Old 12-15-2008, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

Kam,

Any special mode/settings you have been using to achieve such great low light performance? Low light for me has been good, but not great. Just wondering what you may be doing differently.
post #108 of 679 Old 12-15-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Any chance of making this the HG20/21 Owner's Thread? Seeing as how they only differ by HD capacity, viewfinder and LCD type.

Yep.
post #109 of 679 Old 12-15-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc003d View Post

Hi all,
1. First, I want to know if we can get HD video into a DVD Video which could be played in a normal DVD player (Not any HD DVD player, Bluray player or PS3, etc ...)
The reason for this is I want to share my recorded videos with people who dont have HD TV s or other HD / Blu Ray players.

2. Second, if above could be done, what software should I use for conversion ???

I haven't done it yet, but from everything I have read here, Yes, you can downconvert the HD video to SD and burn it on to a regular DVD that will play in a regular DVD player.

PS Network Name: radckh
post #110 of 679 Old 12-15-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeas View Post

Kam,

Any special mode/settings you have been using to achieve such great low light performance? Low light for me has been good, but not great. Just wondering what you may be doing differently.

Abeas:

I started off using the Camera normally i-e zooming into subjects even in low light. I soon found out that it was a bad idea.
I am now making sure that I do not the optical zoom, that although there is "low light", there is still ample light in the room. The camera manual says that it will perform best at 100 lux or above, I can tell you that I have made several videos at 60 lux or below without any issue.
I continue to play with the settings and hope to post some videos as well as my settings soon.
post #111 of 679 Old 12-15-2008, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchellNJ View Post

Yep.

Thanks. I'll look into the LCD differences and see if that's a major selling point.
post #112 of 679 Old 12-15-2008, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Pinnacle Studio Ultimate vs. Plus
It seems to me the difference between the two boils down to "professional" plug-ins. The guts of the programs seem to be the same from what i've read on their site. I just bought ultimate to be safe.

HG20 vs HG21
as stated previously, the difference seems to be just the HDD capacity and the viewfinder

Burn DVD's
you can't burn "HD" movies onto DVD's unless you use the AVCHD format and play them back using a compatible blu-ray player or PS3. Outside of that, you have to convert it to mpeg format or some other video format compatible with DVD players. This downgrades the quality from what you'd see by directly connecting the camera to the HDTV. It's easy to do though, even with the included software.

computer specs
I would suggest a core 2 duo 2.0 or higher, 3GB of ram, and 512mb for video is your base for editing and making movies with this video format.
post #113 of 679 Old 12-15-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam1996 View Post

Abeas:

I started off using the Camera normally i-e zooming into subjects even in low light. I soon found out that it was a bad idea.
I am now making sure that I do not the optical zoom, that although there is "low light", there is still ample light in the room. The camera manual says that it will perform best at 100 lux or above, I can tell you that I have made several videos at 60 lux or below without any issue.
I continue to play with the settings and hope to post some videos as well as my settings soon.

I had the same experience. My initial experience with low light performance on the HG20 indicated a substantial amount of noise, but I also found that the level of noise was directly related to the amount of optical zoom used and the resulting reduction in aperture. This weekend, I shot some elaborate holiday light displays at night, and tried to keep the shots as wide as possible. The results were very impressive, with little discernable noise.

Another factor I have experienced regarding video noise is the monitor/TV used to view the clips. I only have the component video dongle at the moment, and using that, I noticed that my Samsung HDTV showed considerable more noise than my father-in-law's Bravia when viewing the same clips. This is not a huge surprise since the Bravia has superior video processing IMO, and since I don't use component for any of my sources, my component video settings are still at default and probably far from optimal. I'm not sure the difference would be as noticeable with HDMI.
post #114 of 679 Old 12-15-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radckh View Post

I haven't done it yet, but from everything I have read here, Yes, you can downconvert the HD video to SD and burn it on to a regular DVD that will play in a regular DVD player.

I downconverted and ripped a couple of 24mbps 1080i clips to a standard DVD+R last night using Corel VideoStudio 12, and played them back in my upconverting DVD player. As expected, the PQ was pretty bad - about the same as with my SD MiniDV camcorder. I used the default rendering settings in VS12, so maybe the results can be improved with some additional tweaking.
post #115 of 679 Old 12-15-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Thanks. I'll look into the LCD differences and see if that's a major selling point.

The LCD viewing angle on the HG20 does seem fairly narrow, but so far, that has only been an issue when reviewing clips on the LCD with multiple people, since someone usually ends up viewing from a less than optimal angle (usually me it seems).
post #116 of 679 Old 12-15-2008, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you know if the 21 has a much better LCD for viewing angles?
post #117 of 679 Old 12-15-2008, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just received this camera a few days ago, and am having a couple problems.

1) When I plug this camera into my PS3 using the USB cable, the PS3 does not recognize the connection. Do I need to do anything in particular to get this to work?

2) Low light performance looks like cr@p. I would love to hear what settings everyone is using to maximize the low light quality. So far, the low light footage I have shot has turned out with massive amounts of noise...
post #118 of 679 Old 12-15-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:

Do you know if the 21 has a much better LCD for viewing angles?

I just checked and the HG21 LCD does not lose viewability from any angle. Mind you we're talking about a 2.7" LCD also so the viewing space is limited. I was taking some video at the beach and I was still able to use the LCD without concern for glare.
post #119 of 679 Old 12-15-2008, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks for the comment. clouds my decision..... haha.
post #120 of 679 Old 12-15-2008, 08:10 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Ah thanks. Seems like a small viewfinder, I don't know if that's worth it to me.

How big is your eye...?

ebr

Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page