Canon HG20 Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 679 Old 01-07-2009, 04:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
here is my take on the camera so far......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 679 Old 01-07-2009, 04:17 AM

...and a couple of links to some footage....
post #183 of 679 Old 01-07-2009, 04:17 AM

There we go!

So I just came across this thread tonight and figured I'd post up some of my results using the HG20. I am really impressed with this camera for it's price. I just heard about it about 4 days ago when I saw another video posted. The quality looked great for a $600 camera, so I went out the next day and picked it up. Later that night I went out for a test shoot, which is the first link below. Was really happy with what I was able to come up with. The next day I was able to get some day shots and of course was even more impressed once there was light to work with (second link). I have to say the "standard" settings in low light is terrible, but the good thing about this camera is that there are ways to correct it. It seems to have just enough manuel functions to get a good looking image in just about all situations. Anyway, here's the links.

S4 montage:
http://www.vimeo.com/2726101

HG20 test video:
http://www.vimeo.com/2734459

Very happy with this camera so far. I'm waiting on a car mount to show up on my doorstep so I can get some more footage driving around. I'll try and post that as well.
post #184 of 679 Old 01-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Nox
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know if anyone had tried this or not, but the HG20's .mts files play perfectly from a disc or streaming from a PC to a PS3. Just simply rename .mts to .m2ts.

Burn your files to a regular DVD and the PS3 will read them right off the disc. Be sure to use UDF 2.5 when burning especially for files over 2gigs.

-David
post #185 of 679 Old 01-07-2009, 03:05 PM

I have a series of external mic questions for other HG20 owners our there:

1. Have any of you purchased an external mic yet for the HG20?
2. If yes, which one did you get and why?
3. How has the mic you've chosen improved your audio?
4. Which shoe mount adapter did you use to attach the mic to the camera?

I also have a couple questions about wide-angle adapters:

1. Am I correct to assume that the Canon WD-H37C II .7x adapter is the only one which will allow the focus system of the camera to work throughout the entire zoom range?
2. Is .7x is enough of a wide-angle factor to be of any real-world use? I would hate to spend $180 on this adapter only to find out it does not widen the field of view enough.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jason
post #186 of 679 Old 01-07-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboogieman1 View Post

There we go!

So I just came across this thread tonight and figured I'd post up some of my results using the HG20. I am really impressed with this camera for it's price. I just heard about it about 4 days ago when I saw another video posted. The quality looked great for a $600 camera, so I went out the next day and picked it up. Later that night I went out for a test shoot, which is the first link below. Was really happy with what I was able to come up with. The next day I was able to get some day shots and of course was even more impressed once there was light to work with (second link). I have to say the "standard" settings in low light is terrible, but the good thing about this camera is that there are ways to correct it. It seems to have just enough manuel functions to get a good looking image in just about all situations. Anyway, here's the links.

S4 montage:
http://www.vimeo.com/2726101

HG20 test video:
http://www.vimeo.com/2734459

Very happy with this camera so far. I'm waiting on a car mount to show up on my doorstep so I can get some more footage driving around. I'll try and post that as well.

Great shots. What settings did you use for the night shots? I'm a complete noob and have had my HG20 for a week now. Any chance you could share what program you used for editing, and what settings you used to convert to such great looking internet files?
post #187 of 679 Old 01-08-2009, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

I am sort of wondering how he got his files to be 24fps, if that is indeed what they are. It is my understand the HG20 records the files as 60i to the HDD, even when recording at PF24. It would seem to me that the 2:3 pulldown would have to be removed for it to show up correctly on a computer monitor, or something without 2:3 pulldown correction.
If the files are really written as 60i on the HDD while being shot at PF24, how did you remove the 2:3 pulldown to make it show up correctly?
post #188 of 679 Old 01-08-2009, 09:33 AM

Below is a URL to an in-depth article on the PF24 subject. This article is from last March and discusses the HG10, but most of this should still be applicable to the HG20. I think the primary difference between the HG10 and HG2x in this context is the HG2x captures and records at full 1920x1080 resolution, while the HG10 captures at 1920x1080, but then reduces the resolution to 1440x1080 before encoding/writing (like HDV camcorders??). Anyway, this may be helpful in gaining a better understanding of the whole process.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/dalleyg/...hd/readme.html
post #189 of 679 Old 01-08-2009, 08:43 PM

Here is a short compilation of three clips I shot of a snow making machine at night. All three clips were shot in Aperture Priority mode at f1.8. The first segment was shot in PF24, the second in PF30, and the third in 60i. All three clips came out pretty much as expected: The PF20 clip had the best overall PQ, but was a little choppy with the fast action. The 60i clip was the smoothest and seemed to have the most detail, but it was also the most grainy and washed out of the three. The PF30 result was essentially a compromise between the two.

This is my first time using Pinnacle Studio Plus 12, so it's pretty rudimentary.

http://www.vimeo.com/2767344
post #190 of 679 Old 01-10-2009, 11:56 AM

I read this entire thread and others to help me decide to purchase an HG20. OK, got it Thursday. It shoots video and stills.

I'm having a problem getting the camcorder connected an a computer and getting files off. I'm on Vista 32 on an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 with 4GB of RAM. This is my first video camera, long time DSLR (Nikon) guy and Canon P&S still camera guy.

First I installed all the software, first the Digital Video Solution Disk, which seems to be just Zoombrowser, which I already had installed, rebooted. Next the Imagemixer 3 SE Ver. 3 disk. I rebooted in here just to be sure. I connected the camera after plugging the power connector and chose Computer. Zoombrowsers downloader started, I could get the pictures off. ImageMixer started, I chose to get videos off the camera and it wouldn't do it, it seemed to lock up. It did make a file name, but nothing. I had to shut the program down with Task Manager. I rebooted and tried again. Now it wouldn't connect. I tried another USB port and it connected again. Both times I got Drive K:\\ and L:\\. I tried ImageMixer again, nothing. I tried manually going to Canon:\\AVCHD\\whatever, to Steam and manually copying files, it wouldn't do it, it started, file name showed up in destination folder, it locked up. Again had to Task Manager out. Reboot, try again, now that USB port won't connect. I gave up and tried all this on another Vista computer only this time I installed both disks then UNINSTALLED ImageMixer. I connected the camera and it got two drive letters. Tried to COPY a video file off, it wouldn't go, same behavior as on the other computer.

I slept on it, got up this morning, restored the first computers C:\\ drive from my Windows Home Server to day before yesterday and tried all this again with the same result!

Can this be that hard? I'm currently initializing the hard drive, then will initialize the flash card where the pictures are and working, then I will press the Reset button under the battery. Then I will connect it to another Vista PC that hasn't seen it yet, WITHOUT installing ANY software and see what happens. Then I will connect it to an old XP computer without installing any of the software and see what it does.

I have successfully done the Safely Remove Hardware thing a few times, but I've also had to jerk it out after it locked up and the Safely Remove Hardware thing was no longer available.

Will the camera connect without installing ANY software?

Will the computers USB ports fix themselves somehow magically, or is there a way to fix them? I'm running out of USB ports that will even see the camera and not show Unknown Device.

So far, first camcorder experience not going well. I'd appreciate any encouragement or suggestions!!

***Edit***

Oh, oh, here's an addendum. I initialized the HD and Flash card, I reset the camera, same behavior. Then I changed the recording medium for video to the flash card and I can get the files off just fine, but I still can't get the files off the HD, in fact, Windows Explorer locks up and restarts itself when I even try. So....do I have a bad camera, or is there something I don't understand here? I don't need a camera with a hard drive that doesn't work so I can record on added flash cards!!
post #191 of 679 Old 01-10-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thosj View Post

I read this entire thread and others to help me decide to purchase an HG20. OK, got it Thursday. It shoots video and stills.

I'm having a problem getting the camcorder connected an a computer and getting files off. I'm on Vista 32 on an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 with 4GB of RAM. This is my first video camera, long time DSLR (Nikon) guy and Canon P&S still camera guy.

I had similar problems when I first attempted to connect my HG20, and I remember how discouraging it was. The good news is that I was finally able to get it working, and have not experienced any connectivity issues since. I also run Vista 32 on a QC system and already had the version of ZoomBrowser that came with my SLR installed. I'm not sure which of the following steps resolved my issues, but here is what I did before finally achieving success:

Just as you did, I initially installed ImageMixer and ZoomBrowser, and experienced similar problems (see my earlier post #75). While troubleshooting, I read something on the Canon support site that led me to believe the HG20 wanted to mount it's drives under the two consecutive drive letters after my DVD drive (F & G in my case), so I manually moved my 4-in-1 media to L through O to free up some consecutive drive letters. This didn't seem to help, so I then uninstalled all of the devices and drivers associated with the HG20, uninstalled the software, and then rebooted. I then reinstalled ImageMixer and ZoomBrowser, and then reconnected my HG20 to a USB port I hadn't tried yet (just to play it safe), and bingo - it worked.
post #192 of 679 Old 01-11-2009, 07:39 AM

Just to add interest, I've connected the camcorder to two Vista computers that have NEVER seen any Canon software and it connected immediately, got two consecutive drive letters, and I could manually take files off both the HD and SD card just fine on BOTH computers.

After doing that and proving to myself that the camera seems just fine, I went to one of the other two Vista machines I have here that WAS having trouble but that I removed ImageMixer but left ZoomBrowser (use it with Canon A640), and the HG20 connected just fine, got two consecutive drive letters, and I could manually take files off both.

Next I went back to the OTHER Vista machine, the one with all the trouble, but that now has Imagemixer OFF, ZoomBrowser ON, and this time connected to a USB port that is in a Dell LCD monitor, actually showing as a HUB I beleive, and it connected, got two drive letters, and I could manually remove files from both drive letters.

So now I have to try installing ImageMixer again and see if it works. I wouldn't mind using it just to quickly view and move files, no real editing. The latter of these computers is the highest horsepower computer in my stable and the one I'd like to use to edit AVCHD in PowerDirector, but IF all else fails, I'll remove them on another computer, move them to my Windows Home Server, and load them into PowerDirector from there.

I'm not sure what my problem actually IS, Canon's ImageMixer software, my computer and it's USB ports, or what, but things are pointing to it NOT being the camera other that it might be quirky with this USB connecting thing. And the biggest disappointment so far (well, maybe second biggest!!) is the fact that you have to have the power supply connected to connect via USB to a computer.

I guess I'll maybe eventually get it, but this has been a disappointing experience to a guy who's a tech guy and gadget freak with a house full of computers and other tech stuff. I can't imagine my aunt buying one of these at Best Buy and using it to just shoot and view on a computer!! I've been within minutes of putting it in the box and starting the return proceedure.
post #193 of 679 Old 01-11-2009, 08:28 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Its not the camera. I had the same types of issues tyring to get mine to work (as can be seen earlier in this thread). I think just wiping everything and starting over finally fixed my issues. I also go without ImageMixer because I'm on V64.
post #194 of 679 Old 01-11-2009, 10:19 AM

I just re-read the thread from post 75 to now. One thing I don't get. Several posts seem to say one must install ImageMixer to get the camera to be recognized, one even saying directly that this installs USB drivers. That hasn't been my experience. I've connected the camera to 2 Vista computers that have NEVER seen any Canon software and two drives installed, HD and SD card. Just info here, not being argumentative!!

And....native file on the camera is xx.mts. Files copied off with ImageMixer are xx.m2ts. Is there any difference other than file extension? IE, is this a simple rename or is the file changed somehow. Could I achieve the same thing simply renaming xx.mtx to xx.m2ts? If it's simple renaming, why change the extension? ImageMixer could rename with date like it does and leave the file xx.mts. What's really happening here?

One more. Copying files, xx.mts, off the camera with Explorer or something, do we need to copy the entire directory structure, or is simply copying the xx.mts going to suffice?
post #195 of 679 Old 01-11-2009, 10:32 AM
osv
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One more. Copying files, xx.mts, off the camera with Explorer or something, do we need to copy the entire directory structure, or is simply copying the xx.mts going to suffice?

most pc editing programs do not require the entire file structure, but it couldn't hurt to have it, especially if you have any plans for putting the original footage back on an sd card.

that said, i only copy the mts files themselves.
post #196 of 679 Old 01-11-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:

Is there any difference other than file extension? IE, is this a simple rename or is the file changed somehow. Could I achieve the same thing simply renaming xx.mtx to xx.m2ts? If it's simple renaming, why change the extension? ImageMixer could rename with date like it does and leave the file xx.mts. What's really happening here?

This topic came up a few days ago. Apparently, ImageMixer does do something other than changing the filename and changing the extension. I'm not sure what it's doing exactly, but the process appears to be multi-threaded and somewhat intensive, as all of my CPU cores show moderate activity when transferring data through ImageMixer, while transferring via Windows Explorer does not seem processor intensive (as one would expect).

As for .mts versus .m2ts, I have seen many explanations ranging from different file naming conventions, to differing packet size, to a 2GB size limitation with .m2ts on certain AVCHD camcorders. My hunch is that the .m2ts files contain additional information related to the way the video was encoded for use with certain players and editors. This information is broken out into different folders and files within the HG20 directory structure, which allows one to access the raw video contained within the .mts file for use with file systems and editors that don't recognize .mt2s, and possibly for other reasons as well. What Pixela ImageMixer appears to be doing during file transfer is combining all the data contained within the AVCHD directory structure on the HG20 HDD back into the .m2ts format, which may explain some of the additional CPU activity.

I also read somewhere that the certain AVCHD camcorders will break longer recordings into multiple 2GB clips and then recombine them back into a single .mt2s file during the import. A file size greater than 2GB equates to a fairly long recording, so I haven't been able to verify that myself, but it would be interesting to see if that was the case with the HG20 and ImageMixer.
post #197 of 679 Old 01-11-2009, 08:07 PM

I would just like to share that I made over an hour of home video in theback yard while my wife and kids cleaned up their colorful playset for more than an hour. There was a dark overcast and I made three 25 minute clips using Shutter priority, Cinamode and Aperture priority. I also used custom white balance and custom colors and the video is simply fantastic. I have only seen the clips once and I am still not sure which one is my fav, but the one shot in apertur priority had the best and most accurate skin tones.
Every time I used this thing, I am baffled by how a little camera for Just over $500 can make such crisp, colorful and vivid video.
post #198 of 679 Old 01-11-2009, 08:26 PM

apet8464, I did like you and used Vista's disk management to rename my card reader drives down to M, N, O, P, effectively opening a gap between my two HD's and DVD drives. I then hooked up the HG20. It got H, and K like originally, not new letters up behind the optical drives, so I again used disk management to rename those to G and H. I can now connect and disconnect the camcorder and get the same drives each time. I can also yank it, not using Safely Remove, and it seems OK!! I still have iPods and USB thumb drives and stuff that'll be attempting to get drive letters when plugged, but hopefully the Canon will stay put now. I'm not sure what happens if I connect an iPod if the Canon is NOT connected as far as getting a drive letter is concerned, I'll experiment and learn.

So now I think I'll attempt to instll ImageMixer again and see if I can have some success (been away all day today so not much experimenting!) I'd like to use ImageMixer to just move them to the PC so I get whatever it is it's doing to the file. I'm not sure what PowerDirector, my editor of choice, will do with either the xxx.mts OR the xxx.m2ts files, but I'd like to experiment and learn what I can. Heck, this is what it's all about, ain't it? What would I know about computers if everything just worked, like a Mac?!!? I wouldn't be the family tech guy fixing computers every day of the week, that's a fact.

Thanks for the tips and help. As always, AVS is the greatest resource for ANYTHING discussed on here!
post #199 of 679 Old 01-11-2009, 09:16 PM

Hi guys,

i recently bought also the HG20.

I'm planning to buy now some "'must" have accesories, but i'd like to keep cost down.. so i'd appreciate your comemtns and suggestions:

1. Extra Batt - BP827 is what i see a most recommened
2. Tripod - I have no idea, I see lots of comemnts about Manfrotto heads with Tripod and they cost almost as much as the camera.... would appreciate something a lot cheaper but good.
3. Case - Same idea, Affordable Price good quality. A nice portable soft case or some small hard case that can fit the tripod would be perfect but not necesasry.
4. Wide Angle lense - a .7x or .5x would be great.. i'm ok with limited wide angle to limit distortions
5. Telephoto lense - canon has this 1.5x lense that cost a lot and seems a bit pricey for only a 50% increase in zoom.

Affordable = 100 dollars + -, i dont like the idea that my accesories cost more than my camera (makes resale a pain)

Thanks in advance to everyone's help
post #200 of 679 Old 01-12-2009, 02:09 PM

After much ado and thanks to some help and encouragement here, I got all this HG20 stuff working! I have the camera showing as two consecutive drive letters in Vista, one for the HD, one for the SD card. ImageMixer is re-installed and working like a champ. All looks well.

A side note, I am connecting the camera to two Vista computers. On one, I renamed the volumns from Canon, to Canon HD and Canon SD so I could tell which was which when they got their drive letters. When I connected to the other computer, even though they got different drive letters, both drives had the new names I gave them on the first computer! Somehow that must be stored on the camera.

Anyhow, I got everything going and the camera does indeed take beautiful videos, even in low light, my only test so far. Now to learn how editing in PowerDirector goes and get on with life!

Thanks again to those here for the help and mostly encouragement. Hope all this helps some others if (when?) they run into this disk drive dilemna!
post #201 of 679 Old 01-12-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:

apet8464, I did like you and used Vista's disk management to rename my card reader drives down to M, N, O, P, effectively opening a gap between my two HD's and DVD drives....

Glad to hear you got things working. I just tried a little experiment to see if the drive letter issue would come back if I took away all the consecutive drive letters I freed up after 'E'. I plugged in a bunch of USB thumb drives, which along with my card reader, HDDs, DVD drive, etc., allocated all of my drive letters from 'C' to 'O'. I then plugged the HG20 in, and it was assigned letter 'P' with no problems. ImageMixer also launched and was able to read the HG20 HDD. Interesting.
post #202 of 679 Old 01-12-2009, 03:21 PM

It almost seems that if you get this Canon drive thing right, all's well. Once it's hosed, you might be in for a stretch of frustration like I had.

Now that mine are OK, I can't seem to do anything to screw it up!! I've yanked the USB cable from the camera on both computers multiple times and plugging it back in it just connects and goes!! So those that warn that Safely Remove MUST be used, my experience is showing otherwise!! My overall experience with devices is I've never had a problem yanking stuff, including iPods even before the iPod Touch changed to yankable. Of course, just to be safe.............
post #203 of 679 Old 01-15-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron07 View Post

Great shots. What settings did you use for the night shots? I'm a complete noob and have had my HG20 for a week now. Any chance you could share what program you used for editing, and what settings you used to convert to such great looking internet files?

So I think the settings I used were cinema mode at 24p and adjusted the exposure some in the top menu. I think cinema mode helps keep the gain to a minimum, as well as spot light mode. I'm still trying to figure things out and haven't had a chance to get back out to shoot some more stuff yet. Also, I'm using Final Cut Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeas View Post

I am sort of wondering how he got his files to be 24fps, if that is indeed what they are. It is my understand the HG20 records the files as 60i to the HDD, even when recording at PF24. It would seem to me that the 2:3 pulldown would have to be removed for it to show up correctly on a computer monitor, or something without 2:3 pulldown correction.
If the files are really written as 60i on the HDD while being shot at PF24, how did you remove the 2:3 pulldown to make it show up correctly?

As for 24p, I did these really quick so I didn't really spend time to figure out what was really going on. I found I couldn't find a way to import the clips at 24p, I'm assuming because of they way they are actually written to the hard drive, but they came in at 29.97 after being encoded to ProRes. Once I had my edit I made a new sequence at 24fps without fields and copy and pasted the clips in the sequence, rendered it, and then exported the final movie. Like I said I did it all so quick that I just wanted to get these out. I actually cheated a bit with the first shot cause I actually did the speed up in After Effects and rendered it out of there. The problem was that I somehow rendered it with fields so once again did a quick fix to make it look the best I could for the time I wanted to spend on it. Hope this clears some stuff up.
post #204 of 679 Old 01-17-2009, 12:21 PM

Alright... I'm still trying to figure out the ins & outs of my HG20. I love the camcorder so far, and have recorded at least an hour (if not more) of Christmas and put it on DVD-R for myself and my family. Here's my latest quirk that I'm trying to figure out...

I read on this thread that people have been able to connect the camcorder straight to their PS3s to watch playback of their videos. I just tried doing that and the PS3 recognizes the camcorder as a "Vixia HG20," however, I get an error when I try to play videos. The error message from the PS3 is "This video cannot be played. (80029945)" Can anyone who managed to get this working give me some tips?

I'd love to save videos on my PS3 and use the PS3 as a media center PC as well as a gaming console (though, I'm probably far from getting to that point). I've already been able to connect the PS3 wirelessly with my XP desktop regularly and on&off with my 32-bit Vista laptop. (it'd be ideal to play videos from the PS3 via my laptop, but I'll mess with that another day).

Thanks in advance for the help.

PS Network Name: fadoodled
post #205 of 679 Old 01-20-2009, 03:21 AM

Ok, so I recently got an HG20 and I love it, I had some issues however. First of all, after importing the files to the computer with the included imagemixer software (or actually just copying and pasting it from the hard drive), I import the footage, recorded at 24pf, into Adobe After Effects in order to edit. One issue however is that when it pulls them in, even with a composition set to 24 fps, it is reading the footage as 29.97 fps for some reason. Has anyone else that has used After Effects noticed this?

EDIT: The same thing is listed next to the important 24p footage in Premiere Pro even when the project is using the 1080p at 24fps setting...
post #206 of 679 Old 01-20-2009, 10:02 AM

Can someone tell me if this HG20 camcorder would work on a new macbook laptop since it's not connecting to my powermac g5? iMovie keeps telling me I need an Intel based computer.
post #207 of 679 Old 01-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik View Post

Can someone tell me if this HG20 camcorder would work on a new macbook laptop since it's not connecting to my powermac g5? iMovie keeps telling me I need an Intel based computer.

Yes. PowerPC processors do not support AVC. Intel does.
post #208 of 679 Old 01-20-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeas View Post

Yes. PowerPC processors do not support AVC. Intel does.

what about voltaic for PowerPC? I ask that b/c I'm in the same situation - PowerPC wanting to upgrade to HG20
post #209 of 679 Old 01-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moula View Post

what about voltaic for PowerPC? I ask that b/c I'm in the same situation - PowerPC wanting to upgrade to HG20

Don't know what voltaic is. All I can tell you is that it is my understanding transfering AVC on any powerPC based apple will NOT work. I know first hand it does not work in iMovie as well as Final Cut Pro.
post #210 of 679 Old 01-20-2009, 02:47 PM

I got this camera for Christmas. What is the recommended video editing software. The software that comes with the camera is too limited. I'd like to make video files out of the footage and not just burn DVDs.
Reply Camcorders