The Sony HDR-XR500V and XR520V Owners thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1682 Old 03-06-2009, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Yep, for $250 the underwater housing for this guy is going to be a no brainer for me. I've had to buy a few other accessories so held off on that one, but by summertime I will definitely get it.
There's surprisingly no reviews of this guy on google and nada at Amazon either.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Underwate...6348623&sr=8-1

My accessories are starting to trickle in. That neoprene case is NEAT but really snug, especially if you put a Bogen/Manfrotto quick release plate on it.

I found the Steadyshot menu, it is on page 2 or 3 and under the Movie Configuration menu or something obtuse like that.

I have been having issues rendering that 14 minute commute video out, but I should have iMovie 09 later today, still waiting for paperwork at the School where I teach to get finalized so I can buy the whole CS4 Production Premium at a seriously reduced rate so until that happens I'm stuck with the cheapy editor... If someone wants to host a short .mts file that shows off the 3 lighting modes (Daylight, Low Light and Nightshot) I can put it up for you on an FTP site temporarily so you can grab a copy to rehost, send me a PM. All my stuff is CreativeCommons Licensed when I put it on the web, By, Share alike, Non commercial and I don't mind sharing. I just don't want to get a $500 bandwidth bill.

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1682 Old 03-06-2009, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Stacy, you first said it's no '$5,000 camera', but you then go on to say you can't tell the difference between the Z1 and the XR on a 60" screen...except the XR is sharper. So what gives? Does it produce a better picture than your Z1? What about color and exposure latitude compared to the Z1?

I'm not sure if you ever had the SR11 or SR12. If so, any thoughts on how it compares to those?

I ask these questions because I did comparison of my HG21 to my new Sony Z5. The Z5 is the sharpest cam I've ever owned and the color, low-light and exposure latitude are the best I've seen. But of course it's big, heavy and carries a steep price tag.

Ken, what I meant in my comment about "it's no $5K camera" was it's small. It has a bunch of menus rather than many dedicated buttons. It doesn't have all the picture detail and skin tone detail and many other adjustments that a more expensive camera has. It's a one chip instead of a 3-chip camera. Its lens is smaller than the 67mm (I think) that the Z1U has. It's missing the handle on the top that lets you get some great low shots.....

All stuff I knew, but I absolutely love the compactness of the 500V and, for the money, it produces an outstanding picture that, all settings being equal, I really can't tell the difference from a Z1U.

I've never used the SR series so I can't compare to it.
post #93 of 1682 Old 03-06-2009, 05:46 PM

[quote=TurboTurba;15981066]
Quote:
Originally Posted by srothwell View Post

Actually, it's Mr. :-)

I bought the Z1 when it came out, so as far as my wfie is concerned, it's "depreciated". At the time all other "consumer" HDV stuff sucked so I spent the extra $$$ on the Pro model.

The underwater housing was $250 or something like that. I wasn't planning on it, but then realized how much I fretted when I took the camera to the pool -- worried about it getting wet. Now I can just take it IN the pool!
QUOTE]

$250! Nice deal! The ones I saw were for $900 at B&H and there were a couple under Google Shopping for $2500 - $3500. I was like $750 for the camera and 4 times that for the enclosure... no thank you. But $250 is doable after I get my rebate. I go to the Mediterranean every summer and would love some underwater footage in HD. Can you tell us what brand you got? How happy with it are you? I imagine it's not the official Sony one I've been seeing.

About PMB, sorry for the noooobilicious question, I knew it was one as I was clicking reply. I just got my SR11 today and I saw the PMB CD. I'll be loading this up when I get back from Disney if it's free and easy to use. I don't do a lot of editing and would rather spend extra dough on a spare battery rather that Vegas 8, etc.

Right now I'm soo pissed that the 16GB Sony Memory Stick I ordered off Ebay was a counterfiet. I'll be returning it now. Can anyone recommend which *official* charger works with the NP-FH60 battery?

Cheers

The underwater pack I bought is $249 and it's the Sony SPK-HCE. It only goes to 5 meters, so I'm sure the more exensive ones will go deeper. But it's great for the pool or taking on a shallow snorkling adventure.

The marine pack plugs into the AV/Remote plug and give big buttons on the outside for POWER, REC/STOP, PHOTO, MODE, etc. Pretty much the same functions as the camera. It also has a stereo underwater microphone. Not bad for $250

I use the BC-TRP external charger for the batteries.
post #94 of 1682 Old 03-07-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTurba View Post

I got my HDR-SR11 today and I too am really upset and the recharging capabilities. I have to lug the adapter and cradle to Disney I guess...

No need to bring the cradle - the power adapter connector will plug directly into the camera (little hatch on the rear) for charging.

The BC-TRP travel charger is also very compact and pretty handy for keeping spare batteries charged.

- Dennis Brothers
post #95 of 1682 Old 03-07-2009, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
got mine yesterday and although I have only had a few minutes to play with it I am extremely impressed so far. Video in low level lighting looks much better than I expected

more to come
post #96 of 1682 Old 03-07-2009, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK I'm having a bitch of a time with iMovie and it will be a while before I can get my hands on Premiere due to how long it takes going through the school.

No matter what I do with iMovie if I make the video larger than the 'large' default output it puts in NASTY looking scan lines.

So, large is as good as I can put up right now.

Here ya go, please right click and save as once each, don't kill my bandwidth =)

-Commute-

Sam Posten
post #97 of 1682 Old 03-07-2009, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

so off topic. What is considered to be the best consumer video editing software out there for windows platform, cost being no issue?
post #98 of 1682 Old 03-10-2009, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

bump
post #99 of 1682 Old 03-10-2009, 11:33 AM

I've read the whole thread so far and I have some of the same issues others do.

First I own an FX7 and I want a second camera. For that I thought I would get the SR11, and just as I am ready to pull the trigger on it. BAM! They're gone from the shelves of BB. So I look and find the new 500/520V for of course even more money.

Is it really worth it? If I am going to spend $1500 on the 520 why not spend another $400 and get another FX7?

I have absolutely no desire or need for GPS on my camera. I also don't need a 240Gb HD. So I feel like I would be paying extra for stuff I will never use.

If It is truly worth it I will get the 500 but other than that if any of you want to upgrade from your SR11 let me know. I might buy it off of you so you can get the next great thing and I can get what I want.

Cheers
post #100 of 1682 Old 03-10-2009, 01:13 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by brothers View Post

No need to bring the cradle - the power adapter connector will plug directly into the camera (little hatch on the rear) for charging.

The BC-TRP travel charger is also very compact and pretty handy for keeping spare batteries charged.

- Dennis Brothers

Thanks Brothers... I left for Disney the morning before your response I thought it would be logical to expect that but with zero time to read or experiment I said what the hey and just packed everything. I read the manual on the plane and was a little pissed.

I was really looking forward to loving the cradle. You know having it there on my glass shelves next to the PS3 plugged into power and HDMI to the TV so all I have to do is pop in my SR11 and sit back and relax. On top of not needing it charge (which is a good thing) I found out it has no HDMI out like the actual camcorder does..... ahhhh I'm steaming now

What use does it have then? I'm pretty sure component cables can output the 1080i video but the component cables on my Sammy are in the back middle. I have an HDMI and composite on the side... so I'll buy the mini HDMI cable and just have the camcorder sit on the mantle.

Oh well, at least I got 3 hours of nice video to look forward to. Thanks for the tip on the charger I'll try and get it soon.
post #101 of 1682 Old 03-10-2009, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkstowegnv View Post

It is unfortunate that the user manual and service manual are not available online yet for this camera.

All of the documentation is now posted online:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...?mdl=HDRXR520V

Kadath, please update the original post with this, thanks.
post #102 of 1682 Old 03-10-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkada View Post

I'm extremely impressed by the steady shot. It's miles beyond what the 38 had.

One thing that there's no clear/clean disclosure on (pretty much ever on these products) is how much quality gets lost -- in real specs -- with OIS. I realize that this is gyroscopic, but the extended OIS introduced with this model could further degrade signal quality. I wonder by how much.

Same goes for the three-seconds-of-slow-motion mode. I have read that the picture quality degrades, but again, by how much? I wish Sony were more forthright about this (e.g., 1080p reduces down to 720p in slow motion).
post #103 of 1682 Old 03-10-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothers View Post

Stills saved to the Memory Stick _are_ geotagged, even though the camera won't display the map from those photos. LightRoom shows the coordinates, and has a neat ability to bring up a Google map of the position. The map locations were within about ten feet of the actual positions of my test shots. Resolution of the coordinates (as displayed in LightRoom) was hundredths of a second.

Regarding Lightroom's ability to bring up a Google map of an imported photo's geotag, which plug-in are you referring to? Because I cannot find that Lightroom natively supports geotagging even at version 2.3 (the latest).
post #104 of 1682 Old 03-10-2009, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Put that link to the user docs in post #1
I'm on travel so no updates from me this week.

Sam Posten
post #105 of 1682 Old 03-11-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpmoon View Post

Regarding Lightroom's ability to bring up a Google map of an imported photo's geotag, which plug-in are you referring to? Because I cannot find that Lightroom natively supports geotagging even at version 2.3 (the latest).

Dunno if it has anything to do with a plugin. I'm at 2.2 (it just offered to update me to 2.3), and the last line under metadata when I select a photo from the XR520V is labeled "GPS", with the coordinates and an arrow button that brings up the map.

- Dennis Brothers
post #106 of 1682 Old 03-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone seen these at Best Buy yet? Trading in the old Sony SR200 for a $550 discount...

Also, can I use my sony tripod with this? I think the connection for the tri-pod remote is AV...

Packing Protons - Freelance Videography

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for 95.5 contests and concerts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for Geek stuff :)
post #107 of 1682 Old 03-12-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV5655 View Post

Has anyone seen these at Best Buy yet? Trading in the old Sony SR200 for a $550 discount...

Also, can I use my sony tripod with this? I think the connection for the tri-pod remote is AV...

The tripod remote is the "new" one that looks kind of like a mini-usb and connects to the same connector as the AV output. Unfortuantely, I had a really nice Sony tripod with remote but it was the LANC connector and I can't use it. Rats.
post #108 of 1682 Old 03-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srothwell View Post

The tripod remote is the "new" one that looks kind of like a mini-usb and connects to the same connector as the AV output. Unfortuantely, I had a really nice Sony tripod with remote but it was the LANC connector and I can't use it. Rats.

On the SR11, mine connected to the port above the usb port, which I'm guessing is the AudioVideo connection...so assuming I Read the response right, I should still be able to use my old Sony TP on the new CC. That's good .

Packing Protons - Freelance Videography

for 95.5 contests and concerts

for Geek stuff :)
post #109 of 1682 Old 03-13-2009, 03:51 PM

Does anyone know when this camcorder will be available in UK?

I'm reading all this post about you playing with yours and I can't find it in UK yet!!! Damn Damn.

Is there any difference between US and European models? PAL vs NTSC? What about Japan?
post #110 of 1682 Old 03-14-2009, 03:20 AM

Same here for the Netherlands!!! Can't wait. I heard the camcorders will be available end of march....
post #111 of 1682 Old 03-14-2009, 03:41 AM

Well, I got my PAL HDR-XR500 here in Australia yesterday. I upgraded from the HDR-SR12 which I recently sold. Was a very good camera, but this is much better again. The first thing I filmed was a birthday party last night, for our Cat, Kitty. Don't ask.

Anyways, yes the Exmor R sensor is light years better than last years ClearVid CMOS sensor. With the addition of the back light sensor, there is far less video noise during low light. Looks far more like the kind of image you would expect from a three CCD sensor, just without image smearing and with a massive pixel count owing to its 1/2.88" size (bigger than the SR12 sensor by about 8%).

I was slightly worried that by replacing the Carl Zeiss T lens with the Sony G Lens, there would be some issues. Glad to say there isn't, again its a fair bit better. Colours are more vivid and saturated - especially green and red (red tones came out more like a dark pink on the SR12) which is more realistic. There also seems to be less barrel distortion with a wide angle lens than with the SR12.

The active optical image stabilisation works extremely well, and I am struggling to see any potential image degradation with that activated. More testing is necessary.

Autofocus hunting is also improved from the SR12. Focusses much quicker, but I also noticed that in low light it lost focus during panning more frequently than I would like, but the lens might have had a bit of dust or dirt on it, again more research is necessary.

The GPS function works well, but I don't really need that as I don't travel often - would be handy if I did.

I must admit I will miss the docking station from the SR12 which I stuck near the computer, but its not the end of the world.

So yeah, I am very happy with the XR500 and its a very reasonable upgrade from the 2008 models.
post #112 of 1682 Old 03-14-2009, 05:34 AM

Thanks for the great review!
post #113 of 1682 Old 03-14-2009, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Benjamin, nice review. I think what people don't realize about the new G lens, is that it is an upgrade from the Zeiss lens. I recently bought the Sony Z5 with a G lens and the lens is distinctly better than the Zeiss lens that was on the Z1 which the Z5 replaced.

Do you notice any difference in sharpness between your old SR12 and your new Sony?
post #114 of 1682 Old 03-14-2009, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
whoops see below
post #115 of 1682 Old 03-14-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

also how do the colours compare out doors, i find my sr 12s good playing from the cam, but i have found all the [3]softwares i have used enhances the colour vividness a touch too much.
post #116 of 1682 Old 03-14-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Benjamin, nice review. I think what people don't realize about the new G lens, is that it is an upgrade from the Zeiss lens. I recently bought the Sony Z5 with a G lens and the lens is distinctly better than the Zeiss lens that was on the Z1 which the Z5 replaced.

Do you notice any difference in sharpness between your old SR12 and your new Sony?

Yeah, I dunno I just had a bit of a conspiracy theory with Sony cutbacks. Stopping payment for the Zeiss contract isn't that much of a wild proposition in the current climate! But thankfully thats not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post

also how do the colours compare out doors, i find my sr 12s good playing from the cam, but i have found all the [3]softwares i have used enhances the colour vividness a touch too much.

Colours are more accurate for sure. I noticed that filming in the street outside reds actually are red now, and not a dark pink hue. I think this is probably more of a function of the backlit image sensor than the lens upgrade though. What software are you using to edit? There shouldn't be any colour enhancements unless you specifically are tweaking colour...
post #117 of 1682 Old 03-14-2009, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the review. I am ready to upgrade my current avchd cam with another. I am waiting on the reviews and availability of the Canon HF S100, but the new Sonys appear compelling as well. I don't need the extra storage capacity of the XR500 (let alone the 520) and prefer the smaller form factor and robustness of solid state memory.

Is there any rumor of a CX version of this cam? I prefer the build quality of Sonys and like the GPS tagging.
post #118 of 1682 Old 03-14-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernhtp View Post

Is there any rumor of a CX version of this cam? I prefer the build quality of Sonys and like the GPS tagging.

There almost certainly will be a replacement in the middle of the year. Nothing to speak of yet though.
post #119 of 1682 Old 03-14-2009, 06:25 PM

I just saw some new camcorders in Best Buy - Sony's and a Panasonic. The Sony HDR-CX100 is really small.
post #120 of 1682 Old 03-15-2009, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminG View Post

Yeah, I dunno I just had a bit of a conspiracy theory with Sony cutbacks. Stopping payment for the Zeiss contract isn't that much of a wild proposition in the current climate! But thankfully thats not the case.

Colours are more accurate for sure. I noticed that filming in the street outside reds actually are red now, and not a dark pink hue. I think this is probably more of a function of the backlit image sensor than the lens upgrade though. What software are you using to edit? There shouldn't be any colour enhancements unless you specifically are tweaking colour...

i dont understand i have a sr 12 and the colors are very acurate including reds and greens i have done tests with my hdv cams including my fx-7 and played direct from cam the picture has less noise and the colours at least as good as the fx7s, what i have found is no matter what software i edit the files the colour seems seems more vivid after import so it realy needs reducing then before output , realy strange ,i have tried pinnacle ulead and adobe ,i think adobe is best for avchd
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page