Canon HG20 image flickering in computer - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Other Areas of Interest > Camcorders > Canon HG20 image flickering in computer

Camcorders

ragz's Avatar ragz
06:16 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 4
03-06-2009 | Posts: 2
Hey, I recently bought canon HG20 and took couple video shots. When I see the video clippings in camcorder LCD or in TV via HDMI or RCA the quality of image is amazing. However, if I transfer the clips to computer (with USB) using canon provided software imagemixer v3 I am seeing video clips with flickering while watching in computer. I am unable to find the cause of this problem with the video flickering in computer. Please let me know if anyone had similar issues and was resolved. Am I doing anything wrong in transfering the files or is it the problem with my computer? Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions
xfws's Avatar xfws
06:36 PM Liked: 27
post #2 of 4
03-06-2009 | Posts: 1,468
What mode were shooting in; "24p"? ...60i?

Maybe that's what you see as flickering.. Canon's 24p is not true 24p and is progressive and interlaced frames in a 60i stream. ( i = "interlaced" )

This may only be an issue when viewing on a pc monitor, but TV should be ok.

Undoing this is called "pulldown removal"...
You can remove the pulldown with specialized software or a free method which makes you jump through so many insane hoops to get to the final result.

Interlaced video would look more like ghosting, but I am covering this in case you're using the word "flickering" to describe it and also being that you said it's an issue on your pc monitor and not your TV. (Which is characteristic of this issue.)

So, an easy way to rule this out (or in) is to set the camcorder to 30p and shoot some test footage, import to your pc and view on your pc monitor.
If it's the same thing as before, than the problem is something else. If it looks better than shooting 24p/60i, then you'll know that was the problem.

If that was, in fact, actually the problem; for your future videos always shoot in 30p, which won't have any issue on a TV or pc monitor (including for web delivery).
ragz's Avatar ragz
06:20 PM Liked: 10
post #3 of 4
03-08-2009 | Posts: 2
Thank you xfws!! I changed the setting to 30p and is working fine in computer. I dont see anymore flickering (or ghosting). I think I need to change all my existing videos to progressive setting.
xfws's Avatar xfws
06:50 PM Liked: 27
post #4 of 4
03-08-2009 | Posts: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragz View Post

Thank you xfws!! I changed the setting to 30p and is working fine in computer. I dont see anymore flickering (or ghosting). I think I need to change all my existing videos to progressive setting.

Great, glad it worked out.

It's not technically "progressive" because the Canon 30p is still in a 60i container (2:2 pulldown), but most newer displays shouldn't have a problem with it. It should be fine.
Reply Camcorders

Subscribe to this Thread