IP Cameras - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-08-2009, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a couple applications that may benefit from the use of IP/network video cameras and would appreciate any advise.

My first application is for home security and would involve a network connected video camera that I can view and control from a remote location. It would be desireable to have an IR sensor to trigger the sending of a picture and/or email etc.

The second application is work related and would involve several IP/network video cameras and probably a NVR (network video recorder). This system would need to have more security to prevent others from accessing it without permission, but permit authorized individuals to view live video and recorded video remotely. It may be desireable to have one or more of the cameras communicate wirelessly so they can be mounted to something that moves.

So, is there any recommendations or pointers to information sources?

Thanks,

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-08-2009, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorsys View Post

I have a couple applications that may benefit from the use of IP/network video cameras and would appreciate any advise.

My first application is for home security and would involve a network connected video camera that I can view and control from a remote location. It would be desireable to have an IR sensor to trigger the sending of a picture and/or email etc.

The second application is work related and would involve several IP/network video cameras and probably a NVR (network video recorder). This system would need to have more security to prevent others from accessing it without permission, but permit authorized individuals to view live video and recorded video remotely. It may be desireable to have one or more of the cameras communicate wirelessly so they can be mounted to something that moves.

Thanks,

Brian

If I've posted this to the wrong forum let me know where it should be posted...

Brian
post #3 of 7 Old 03-09-2009, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

You should search for IP Camera here at AVS, there are a few threads, but it's more of a video security field rather than a camcorder issue. IP cameras are not really consumer items (yet) due to costs. You might read up here:

http://www.kintronics.com/neteye/tec...es.htm#cameras
http://www.networkcamerareviews.com/forums/index.php

Rich
post #4 of 7 Old 03-09-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:

I highly recommend Panasonic BL-C131A. It is not the cheapest, nor is it as expensive as some other high end models. It is just a solid performer, with all the features you specified.

One of the best features is the free Viewnetcam.com dynamic DNS service provided by Panasonic, making it quite easy to setup remote viewing.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 AM

I installed some analog cameras for my landlord some time ago.....Now he wants me to install some ip video cameras y wants me to find the right system...I do know that the analog cameras were very cheap and he is willing to invest a little more on the new system...Any recommendations on new ip video camera system ????
post #6 of 7 Old 12-06-2012, 11:11 AM

Hi jchacho....yes, there are several different systems on the market today that allow Ethernet over Coax(EOC). The one that I am familiar with is the EthernetStrech product from Nitek(www.nitek.net). I recently used it on a job and found it relatively easy to install. I chose it for a few reasons. First It required no set up. By that I mean I did not have to install any IP addresses or do any network configurations. That seems to be true with most of the units out there. Although several do require setting up switches are pushing buttons to establish communication, the Nitek did not. Also of interest to me was that most of the systems forced POE power onto the coax. This is not in keeping with the IEEE 802.3 standard. I am aware of some cameras such as the panasonic outdoor domes which do not like POE power which is non-standard compliant. The model I used for my job was the EL1500C, here is a link to that unit

http://www.nitek.net/products/networkextenders/EL1500C.htm

I only needed to install for cameras over the existing coax and that is why chose the single camera set. They do have some larger systems which actually includes a built-in layer 2 switch, I am not sure if anyone else here on the board tried one of their switches and maybe they can better comment on that product. I hope this is of some help to you. Please let us know how your job works out.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-19-2012, 07:50 AM

Hi techno76....Thank you for replying....I did check website www.nitek.net and I think they do offer a very good choice for ip camera systems....I did also check the model numbre you gave me(EL1500C) but I think it's a little more sophisticated than what I need, in fact, I did not have a chance to ask for a price list....I could not find no ip cameras for sale on this website(www.nitek.com)...I wonder if they do sell them at all...My landlord is also looking for these ip cameras...Hopefully we will find the right ones soon so I can start the installation of them...I will keep in mind your suggestion...Thank you agAIN...JCHACHO..
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page