The "Official" Canon HFS10 / HFS100 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-16-2009, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Kick off. Just got my HFS10 for HFS100 price due to "out-of-stock" and a little arm twisting at BB. Still charging it up and want to get my UV lens filter/protector before I really take it places.
  1. Reviews
    Camcorderinfo
    CNet
    InfoSyncWorld
    Crutchfield (Additional Staff review)
    Digital Trends

2. Product Picture Gallery
    CamcorderInfo

3. Canon Manufacturer Links
    Canon HFS10
    Canon HFS100
    Manual S10/S100 (PDF)

4. Sample Video
    DigitalChumps: HF-S100 Zoom and telecoverter test
    DigitalChumps: HF-S100 Random outdoor footage
    DigitalChumps: HF-S100 Extreme Low Light test
    DigitalChumps: HF-S100 Sunny Outdoor Footage
    DigitalChumps: HF-S100 Random low light footage @ 18db auto gain limit
    DigitalChumps: HF-S100 `Rainy Day`
    DigitalChumps: HF-S100 More outdoor and teleconverter footage
    Vimeo HFS10/HFS100 Group

5. Sample Pictures
    DigitalChumps: Samples #1
    InfoSyncWorld Top 5 cam still shootout (includes HFS10)

6. Enthusiast Sites
    hfs100.com
    www.henryolonga.net

7. Various Discussion or Comment Threads
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=682603

Update suggestions always welcome

-wog

Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
http://arcadecontrols.com/
Build Your Own Arcade Controls Forum
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 03:49 PM

Hey sirwoogie,

Great idea!

Here are some full-sized test photos also (comparisons included) if you want to edit those into the initial post also.

http://digitalchumps.com/gamingnews/...-full-res.html

If anyone's interested, I can put up as much footage as you want. I have plenty more now; all it needs is rendering and uploading.

Steve
Old 04-16-2009, 05:21 PM

Thanks for starting this thread. I got my S10 a few days ago, but haven't had time to play with it yet. I look forward to reading the impressions and findings of other owners.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:24 PM

Liked: 14
Excellent! Our own dedicated forum

I picked up my HF-S10 a week ago today and have been thrilled with it so far. Here is one unanswered question I've encountered so far:
  1. I've noticed when burning my footage to AVCHD using the supplied Pixela program, that the audio track is identified as Japanese when playing it back on my PS3 and a Sony BDP-S350. Anyone know why this is?

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2009, 02:44 PM

Q: Why would you select the HFS100 over the Canon HF200, as there is a $1099 - $729 = $370 price difference (at Amazon -- today).

Is the PQ that much better? The low-light performance? Other factors?

Curious to know as I have an HF200 in my cart and waiting for more reviews. Thanx

EDIT: Found two great reviews of the respective cameras
http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews...f20/10235.html
http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews...s10/10176.html

I can see that the HF S10 definitely has superior PQ and low-light performance. But for my more casual and infrequent use, I think the HF200 will do jes fine. IOW, the HF200 did very well indeed, even in comparison to its formidable HF S10 big brother.

2nd EDIT: Those reviews sold me on the HF200! I just ordered it from Amazon and am confident that I'll be more than pleased with it.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:39 AM

Hey guys,

Here's another video:

http://digitalchumps.com/video-galle...rectlink&id=90

This one is of 60i deinterlaced footage. If anyone would like a super-high-bitrate version, please let me know and I will upload and post the link, as 60fps requires a higher bitrate for the same quality.

There's also another video I shot with the HF-S100... though the compression on this one is a little heavier as it's meant to be a bit more mainstream. You will probably appreciate it, however: How Digital Chumps give gifts.

Enjoy!

-Steve
Old 04-18-2009, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Picked up my HF-S10 last week and really love the camera. I haven't had a chance to do much other than some random test footage but the quality is superb considering I'm coming off an ancient but rock solid Sony TRV-17 miniDV cam. This camera will be mostly used for automotive footage, but it's great for everyday use too. Can't wait to get some free time to get out there and use it!
Old 04-19-2009, 03:40 AM

I'm having a hard time deciding between the xr500/520v and the hf-s100/s10. It seems the consensus is that the Canon has great day light shooting and manual controls while the Sony has better night time shooting with gps/hdd.

My concern is the lowlight ability of the s100 vs the xr500. Ive read that in auto, the s100 is much worse then the sony, but it gets better when filmed in 24p. Anyone know how it compares to the xr500's low lux mode vs s100's 24p mode? Also when you switch to 24p, does it slow down fast motion by much?

Can someone test the video light for us. How is it in a completely dark room and about how strong is that vid light, about how far can you shoot with it. Is it something comparable to sony's nightshot mode that can shoot that green tint video in total darkness?

One more thing, I noticed when you switch to camera mode on the xr500v, the image darkens significantly compared to when in camcorder mode. Like its low light ability diminishes. The stills it takes are much darker then the videos, even when I checked the exposure settings. Is the Canon the same way?
Thanks for the help!
Old 04-19-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.2vtec View Post

I'm having a hard time deciding between the xr500/520v and the hf-s100/s10. It seems the consensus is that the Canon has great day light shooting and manual controls while the Sony has better night time shooting with gps/hdd.

My concern is the lowlight ability of the s100 vs the xr500. Ive read that in auto, the s100 is much worse then the sony, but it gets better when filmed in 24p. Anyone know how it compares to the xr500's low lux mode vs s100's 24p mode? Also when you switch to 24p, does it slow down fast motion by much?

Can someone test the video light for us. How is it in a completely dark room and about how strong is that vid light, about how far can you shoot with it. Is it something comparable to sony's nightshot mode that can shoot that green tint video in total darkness?

One more thing, I noticed when you switch to camera mode on the xr500v, the image darkens significantly compared to when in camcorder mode. Like its low light ability diminishes. The stills it takes are much darker then the videos, even when I checked the exposure settings. Is the Canon the same way?
Thanks for the help!

Yes, the Canon does the same thing. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that it's utilizing all eight megapixels when shooting stills, and that the noise is even more prominent in single-frame progressive captures... but I'm no expert.

As for the low light capability, I couldn't offer a comparison, but I've found the HF-S100 to be surprisingly capable in dark conditions. If need be, I simply switch to PF30 (30p) and everything lights up dramatically... just as Camcorderinfo has said. I have auto gain limit control set to my custom dial also, so I can freely switch between 18db limit and auto (which goes up to 27db). I can definitely get some pretty dark footage, although noise is an issue if you use full, unlimited auto gain. 18db provides a very clean image which is fairly bright.

Steve
Old 04-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

I just got a HF-S10 today for $1170 at BestBuy today. Havent opened the box yet, but am super excited to finally play with my own HD-Camcorder instead of borrowing my brother in Laws
Old 04-24-2009, 12:36 AM

Hi, i wanted to know what kind of case i can use with the HF S10, i want to be able to carry in it (the case) in a backpack as i will most likely bring my laptop with me sometime. I tough about this one, what do you think? :
http://www.tamrac.com/5693.htm
Oh and im also looking for a strap, i see 3 kind on canon store: SS-600, SS-650, both are shoulder strap (dont know if there any difference between them except color) and a neck strap the NS-10 (is there suppose to be a difference between a neck and a shoulder strap?). I suppose looking at how they are made that i could use a slr strap also isnt?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Before I bought this camera, i was really curios how its Digital Still quality was, but I just found this awesome comparision, and the results are great to hear, so hopefully if anyone else is looking for info on this, this is great to read.

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/10196.html
Old 04-24-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagenSteel View Post

Hi, i wanted to know what kind of case i can use with the HF S10, i want to be able to carry in it (the case) in a backpack as i will most likely bring my laptop with me sometime. I tough about this one, what do you think? :
http://www.tamrac.com/5693.htm
Oh and im also looking for a strap, i see 3 kind on canon store: SS-600, SS-650, both are shoulder strap (dont know if there any difference between them except color) and a neck strap the NS-10 (is there suppose to be a difference between a neck and a shoulder strap?). I suppose looking at how they are made that i could use a slr strap also isnt?

Initially I preferred a case that allowed the camera to lay horizontal in its case and I'm not sure if that case would allow that. Initially I purchased a Lowepro Rezo 110 AW case I was very happy with it: http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Rezo-1.../dp/B000AQF4JG

It is just barely big enough to hold the following items comfortably:
-Camera
-BP-819 spare batter
-Hoya Cir-Polarizing filter in case
-6' HDMI cable (pencil diameter)
-8" Mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter
-USB cable
-Camera remote control
-Power block (fits on outside side pocket-slightly exposed)
-Power cord
-Sandisk Memory Card Reader

The case has a nice horizontal divider that allows you to put the battery, filter, cables and such on the bottom of the case and then the divider on top of that with the camera going on top of the divider. The case also has a built in lens cleaning cloth and an all-weather cover that stows in a velcro pocket to protect it from rain, etc. If I try really hard I can also squeeze in the component video cable and the composite/audio cable on top of the camera but I don't like squeezing everything in so tight.

That said, I also just purchased the Canon charger and was tired of having to keep removing the velcro pad the camera was sitting on to get to the cables underneath, so I just steped up to the Lowepro REZO 140 AW for more room. This configuration allows me to car all of the above items along with the charger and eventually perhaps another lens or two as well. The biggest advantage to the 140 over the 110 (or the just slightly taller REZO 120 AW) is the ability to subdivide the case into three vertical sections and only take out what I need instead of a full unpack and pack everytime like with the 110. There is also a side pocket on one side of the case, so still have a little room to grow outside the case as well. If you aren't needing to bring the big block power adapter and a standard size HDMI cable (not the skinny wire canon variety) around everywhere and/or the any of the other components then the smaller 110 case is probably sufficient. If you're like me and want to have everything together and have many additional lenses (Wide Angle, Tele-Photo, etc) then I highly recommend the REZO 140.

The REZO 110/120/140 AW cases should fit in most backpacks just fine. I keep mine in a Targus backpack with my laptop just fine. I also tried out the Lowepro Apex 120 AW case, which is narrow and taller, but much preferred the REZO 140 AW instead. I've attached a few images of how the REZO 140 looks loaded up along with all of the items stuffed inside. If anyone wants pics of the Apex 120 loaded up let me know and I'll post them. Good luck!
LL
LL
LL
Old 04-24-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REL77 View Post

Before I bought this camera, i was really curios how its Digital Still quality was, but I just found this awesome comparision, and the results are great to hear, so hopefully if anyone else is looking for info on this, this is great to read.

Excellent reference--thank you. I've been very impressed thus far with my own images. They've been much better than what I get out of my Canon SD-850 IS point and shoot for the most part.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Updated links above. Added some fresh ones too.

-wog

Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
http://arcadecontrols.com/
Build Your Own Arcade Controls Forum
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/
Old 04-24-2009, 09:30 AM

I picked mine up a week or so ago as well, have yet to do anything with it. There is a car show over the weekend, will be a good time to experiment and see what the bad boy can do

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraggleRock View Post

Excellent! Our own dedicated forum [IMG]http://www.***********************/track/img/3358/m09d0317xktz/2.gif[/IMG]

I picked up my HF-S10 a week ago today and have been thrilled with it so far. Here is one unanswered question I've encountered so far:
  1. I've noticed when burning my footage to AVCHD using the supplied Pixela program, that the audio track is identified as Japanese when playing it back on my PS3 and a Sony BDP-S350. Anyone know why this is?

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2009, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone have a pic of the HFS10/100 with the BP-819 battery? Or any other battery so I can see how the size compares?
Old 04-26-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:

Does anyone have a pic of the HFS10/100 with the BP-819 battery? Or any other battery so I can see how the size compares?

Here you go!

http://digitalchumps.com/gamingnews/...ne-photos.html

Steve
Old 04-26-2009, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by osgcn View Post

Here you go!

Steve

osgcn, I see you have the dm100 mic on the HF S100...

Did you buy it at the same time as the camcorder, or did you find a need for it after listening to the audio on the built-in mics?

Have you done any audio tests comparing the two? (btw, do you leave the mic attached to the cam all the time/store it like that?)
Old 04-26-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

osgcn, I see you have the dm100 mic on the HF S100...

Did you buy it at the same time as the camcorder, or did you find a need for it after listening to the audio on the built-in mics?

Have you done any audio tests comparing the two? (btw, do you leave the mic attached to the cam all the time/store it like that?)

I bought it around the same time, mostly because I figured I could use the extra wind protection (as the built-in mics clearly don't handle that as ideally as they could). I haven't done any audio testing really at all, but I do at least know that I never hear any wind with my DM-100...

As for storing it with the DM-100 attached, yeah, I do (I've got the official $28 Canon carrying case via Amazon), even though it specifically says not to. I see absolutely no harm in it, however; it's sturdy when attached and tightened, and it fits the bag suspiciously perfectly as such.

Steve
Old 04-26-2009, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

cool...thanks.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:54 AM

Just ordered my HFS100 from Amazon and can't wait to get it. I've been using an old Canon Optura 20 for the past 6 years so it was time to upgrade. I'm going to be filming my soon-to-be-born baby girl so I wanted something that performed well in all conditions and will allow me to grow into the camera.

So standby for a bevy of questions from an HD newb
Old 04-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here you go!

Steve

Dude, you rule... That bat is barely bigger, i am so going to get one now....

How long do you get with the 819?

Thanks man
Old 04-28-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:

Here you go!

Steve

Holy cow!!! I had visions of a Mac Truck sticking out the back of the camera! The difference is so minuscule...

I'm ordering one of these right now!
Old 04-28-2009, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't believe Canon did not include a memory card with this camcorder. It can't be used right out of the box unless you buy a card also. Regarding the batteries, I'm planning on buying an extra one, what do you guys think of the 819 vs. 827?

Thanks,
Old 04-28-2009, 03:48 PM

Heh i just realise that my lcd screen can be moved up and down a little (like 1mm) when closed, is it normal? (bad build quality/faulty hinge?) I do not remember that my screen was doing that in the beginning... Or i just never noticed until now
Old 04-29-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagenSteel View Post

Heh i just realise that my lcd screen can be moved up and down a little (like 1mm) when closed, is it normal? (bad build quality/faulty hinge?) I do not remember that my screen was doing that in the beginning... Or i just never noticed until now

I just got mine today, and the lcd screen does not move at all when closed. Hopefully it stays that way after I've used it more.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:13 AM

I just got the HF S100 today! This is my first camcorder, and I'm very excited to use it. I've been playing around with it today, and I'm not finding the provided Pixela ImageMixer3 software to be very user-friendly. And the Pixela website is useless as far as support.

Can someone suggest a basic editing software that would simply allow me to create dvd's of home videos? Nothing special...just home/family use.

Let me know. Thanks!!
Old 04-29-2009, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTez View Post

I just got the HF S100 today! This is my first camcorder, and I'm very excited to use it. I've been playing around with it today, and I'm not finding the provided Pixela ImageMixer3 software to be very user-friendly. And the Pixela website is useless as far as support.

Can someone suggest a basic editing software that would simply allow me to create dvd's of home videos? Nothing special...just home/family use.

Let me know. Thanks!!

I think I'd try the trial of Sony Vegas Movie Studio. Pro is fantastic, but also ridiculously expensive... but the consumer version is apparently quite good.

Steve
Old 04-29-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I'd try the trial of Sony Vegas Movie Studio. Pro is fantastic, but also ridiculously expensive... but the consumer version is apparently quite good.

Steve

Just to clarify: regular Vegas "Movie Studio" is for standard definition only.