Canon FS200 and .MOD files - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-27-2009, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a Canon FS200, and I have a PC. Everywhere I look I read that it's a great little camcorder except that it records in .MOD format. But no matter how much I look I simply can't find anyone who says how to fix this. All the converters I find either cost money or they only do the audio files. But I know there has to be a simple way, or no one would ever buy this camera. I need to be able to edit. I would certainly love some help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-27-2009, 01:48 PM

ValiantGreen,

Use the Pixela software that came with the camera and transfer the files from the camera to your computer with the USB cable. The Pixela software will rename the files so that they are in a chronological ranking and have .mpg extension.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-08-2009, 01:57 PM

Hi man, this converter can convert MODS TO MPG'S, i ahd same problem as you with cannon fs200 and it worked for me.

Search on google for SDCOPY
post #4 of 16 Old 09-08-2009, 02:15 PM

Unless the software was upgraded between the FS100 and FS200, using the Pixela software to transfer the files from the camcorder to the computer will NOT correct the improperly set aspect ratio flags in the files. I've also tried SDCOPY before, but it kept crashing on me. So all I do now is copy the files from the memory card, and rename their extensions in a command window.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-09-2009, 08:43 AM

Francois, do you just copy them from the STREAM folder on the memory card to your computer?
post #6 of 16 Old 09-09-2009, 12:20 PM

Yep! That's all you need to do. Copy and paste. Drag and drop. You can leave out the .MOI files, you won't need them.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-09-2009, 06:54 PM

Thanks. That worked like a charm and is soooo easy.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-13-2009, 08:40 AM

I need this same help....I downloaded the Pixela softeware, connected USB cable and nothing happens. I mean nothing. I then looked for STREAM folder from memory card to drag and drop and can't locate that. Bear with me as I am very new to this, but am also very frustrated. Any advice for getting the video I shoot out of this darn cute littel camera before I toss it out the window?
post #9 of 16 Old 09-13-2009, 07:16 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post

Unless the software was upgraded between the FS100 and FS200, using the Pixela software to transfer the files from the camcorder to the computer will NOT correct the improperly set aspect ratio flags in the files. I've also tried SDCOPY before, but it kept crashing on me. So all I do now is copy the files from the memory card, and rename their extensions in a command window.

I am using the Pixela software to transfer the files and then playing them using WMP. How would I know if the aspect ration flag is correct?

Mike
post #10 of 16 Old 09-13-2009, 08:46 PM

If you tried playing the camcorder's .MOD files in a media player such as WMP, VLC or Zoom Player (after renaming the file to .MPG of course) and everyone looks unusually skinny, the camcorder files are STILL incorrectly flagged.

This is only a problem for those who prefer playing the files directly, or who use editing software other than Pixela to edit the footage. In Sony Vegas, I had to uncheck the "Maintain Aspect Ratio" switch in all of the clips in order to fix the problem.

Drivein, how are you accessing the memory card from your computer? Through the camcorder? Or through a separate card reader? The STREAM directory isn't located in the root directory of the card; it's located in one of its subdirectories. And then again in more subdirectories.

Yes, it's annoying. But keep looking! You'll find them.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-20-2009, 06:30 AM

Liked: 12
The current software is not setting the flag correctly. I confirmed this by using GSpot on some files that I had downloaded using ImageMixer. I can't believe there isn't more information in regards to this on the internet. I couldn't really find anything doing a few Google searches. Here is what I found through trial and error. Imagemixer does not set the 16 x 9 flag when you use it to download clips. If you do use ImageMixer to combine files and then export it does set the 16 x 9 flag. At first I thought it was setting the flag correctly but then I downloaded a trial version of Corel VideoStudio I used this to add a title and transitions, the title displayed 16 x 9 and the the first second or so of the video showed 16 x 9 then it qucikly went to 4 x 3, the transition showed 16 x 9 and again the first second or so of video showed 16 x 9 and then quickly went back to 4 x 3. My thought is that VideoStudio is not changing the clips when it combines them it is just adding the file as is so even though I set 16 x 9 as the output it doesn't make any changes to the orginal video (which is actually very reassuring). Is that what is happening?

As I said before I can't believe there isn't more discussion of this on the net as anyone using any video editor other than ImageMixer is most likely going to have disapointing results. As a result of the incorrect flag the video look much darker when 4 x 3 as opposed to correctly being displayed at 16 x 9.

Mike
post #12 of 16 Old 09-20-2009, 02:07 PM

Under Sony Vegas, uncheck the "Maintain aspect ratio" switch on each and every clip, and always edit and render in a 16x9 format. That will fix the aspect ratio issues.
post #13 of 16 Old 09-28-2009, 11:44 AM

Hello all. We are a small nonprofit organization that teaches media literacy & production to middle school students. We're looking to purchase some cameras and the canon fs200 seems to be a good budget camera with the ability to plug in an external microphone.

Would someone here who has the fs200 be willing to send me a small test file or two so that I can be sure I can get it to easily work on our editing stations.

I would be so appreciative!

julie
post #14 of 16 Old 05-16-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post

This is only a problem for those who prefer playing the files directly, ...

As opposed to what? How else would you play the files?
post #15 of 16 Old 05-16-2010, 01:09 PM

In the camcorder, on a computer, possibly in a consumer electronics product that can read the files, burned to a DVD and played in a DVD player...
post #16 of 16 Old 06-08-2010, 06:59 PM

Hi -

How do I get my FS200 to be recognized by Windows XP as a 'device'?

What I'd like to do is to just connect the FS200 to the PC with the USB cable and be able to 'pull' the files over from the SD card to the PC. Is this possible?

Thanks,
David
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page