Canon HF20 / HF200 Official Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 817 Old 12-28-2009, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just downloaded the trial version of Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14, and tried to open it and I get nothing. Any ideas guy's??

Kevin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 817 Old 12-28-2009, 09:21 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by output555 View Post

* Using iMovie, can I import raw video directly from the SD card using a card reader or must I import it from the HF20 connected to a USB cable (SD card in the camcorder)? * Can I fully edit and burn a video to a Blu-ray disc using iMovie and Toast Titanium 10 HD or must I use additional software like Compression or Final Cut?

From what I understand and have tested iMovie. It will not use the raw file. It will convert it to SD. I have played with this and no luck. After much digging I read somewhere that it does not support the mts file it converts it. I burned a movie and it plays on all my sets SD and HD.
You will have to find other software to edit and burn the raw mts file to standard DVD an (AVCHD DVD) to play on BR players or HDDVD players. Yesterday I took my USB flash drive copied some of the mts files to it stuck it into the USB on my PS3. In the XMB I went to video there it listed two of my cruizer flash drives. Why I dont know? I chose the second one. Hit Triangle to show all info. I selected the mts files and WOW. What an awesome picture and sound! Because I was not impressed by the iMovie DVDs. I also bought a new MacBook so I could edit and burn movies from this camera because my G5 is not an intel mac. Before I was really disappointed by the camera and buying a new Mac. Im bummed that iMovie does not support it. To me it looked better than playing it from the camera. When I play from the camera to the tv the sound seems off and echos. I have my stereo set to stereo both times from camera and the file on the flash drive. From the PS3 I am impressed. Now I am looking for a great inexpensive software to edit and burn the mts files to AVCHD. I hope this helps. I do believe Toast 10 will do all that you want. http://wallybarthman.wordpress.com/b...ay-from-a-mac/
I have been looking at VoltaicHD from shedworx. I like that it can mange all of my mts file and give me a thumbnail view and a quicklook at the file. http://www.shedworx.com/node/250

PSN ID mitzman

post #273 of 817 Old 12-28-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Boyer View Post

I just downloaded the trial version of Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14, and tried to open it and I get nothing. Any ideas guy's??

Kevin.

Suggest you have a corrupted download, although I can't be sure as I installed from DVD.
Chris
post #274 of 817 Old 12-28-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Boyer View Post

Chris,

One other question Chris. Did you install the Pixela software at all? Or did you install Pinnacle from the beginning?

Kevin.

Kevin - omitted to answer this.
No need for the Pixela as Pinnacle's import facility does the job.
Chris
post #275 of 817 Old 12-28-2009, 09:39 AM

Just my luck Chris... I'll un-install it and try again I guess. What's another 3 hours...

On another note, did you ever install the Pixela software that came with the camera?

Kevin.
post #276 of 817 Old 12-28-2009, 09:40 AM

You beat me to it...thanks Chris.

Kevin.
post #277 of 817 Old 12-28-2009, 09:53 AM

Liked: 12
Anyone else here using a mac? Im looking for a good inexpensive app. for editing and burning. What are you using? I wish I could use iMovie. I liked using it for my old DV camera. It sucks it doesnt edit the mts files. I had issues last night importing some DV for my aunt with her camera on my old G5 with iMovie 09. The video was very jerky on import and took some finagling to get it to see the camera. I had to use iMovieHD it imported it smoothly. I love my macs and iMovie but for the new iMovie on my G5 to not work with a DV camera and my new MacBook iMovie 09 to not work with my HF20 really is disappointing. Im considering shedworx. Anyone here using it?

PSN ID mitzman

post #278 of 817 Old 12-29-2009, 02:42 PM

Plenty of earlier posts on Mac software for the HF20/200.
post #279 of 817 Old 12-30-2009, 12:58 PM

I just got my HF200 in the mail today and if I shake it there is some kind of rattling noise. Is this the floating image stabilizer thing? I'm a little worried about this.

Thanks,

Julien

* I just found out this noise only happens when the camera is turned off.
post #280 of 817 Old 12-30-2009, 01:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post

I just got my HF200 in the mail today and if I shake it there is some kind of rattling noise. Is this the floating image stabilizer thing? I'm a little worried about this.

Thanks,

Julien

* I just found out this noise only happens when the camera is turned off.

According to the posts by MikeekiM & fishhead65 on Page 7 of this very thread ( HF20 / HF200 Official Owner's Thread - Page 7 ), & the CNet video review of the cam: the rattling sound is the built-in two piece lens cap.
post #281 of 817 Old 12-30-2009, 05:44 PM

Thanks much. That was worrying me a little.
post #282 of 817 Old 12-31-2009, 12:07 AM

Hey everyone. What is the best way to burn a edited movie AVCHD style to dvd. i purchased a sony burner and was also reading about the canon dw-100 burner, that those only burn discs directly from the camcorder itself. is this true? what are you all using out there to burn AVCHD after editing?
post #283 of 817 Old 12-31-2009, 12:21 PM

I'm just not happy with indoor shots at all with the HF200. I've been looking at all of my footage from Christmas and it's just pretty rough to look at. Not one setting seems acceptable to me while being indoors. Not even cinema being its just too dark. I tried every combo I think and most of my shooting(with having a 8month old) will be indoors right now.

The kicker is when looking at samples of vDSLR. I'm so envious of their low light capabilities and sharpness. I almost feel cheated in my purchase lol. One would think that a dedicated machine would trump a hybrid one. It doesn't seem so.

Being I love to shoot Stills I'm half tempted in returning the hf200 for a Nikon D90(I have a D40 now). I'm just worried about the auto focusing, 5 minute max clips, and the d90 only having manual zoom. Bur from most of the clips I watched on Vimeo, the video seemed stunning.

So talk me out of it lol. There has to be way more advantages to owning a dedicated device then a hybrid device. I'll say this, even at a Nikon forum I belong to, In a thread I read a month ago(which helped my initial decision)nearly everyone recommended just getting a standalone device over the camera hybrid. So something must be there.

I only have a few days to return, so if I'm gonna, I got to do it quick lol.
post #284 of 817 Old 12-31-2009, 12:26 PM

Liked: 11
Well I recieved my HF20 yesterday afternoon and by the time I was able to charge the batt it was getting late. I was still able to get in a few min. with my new toy and did a couple of videos in the house. I was not to impressed with the quality of video I was getting. This morning I waited till the sun was out and then shot a few more clips. Wow, does this camera shoot a great clip if it has the right amount of light. The quaility is nuts, the sound is good also. Shot a few clips outside in the bright snow and was shocked at how well this little camcorder works. The low light is watchable,however it just cant give justice to what it can do with the right lighting!!
post #285 of 817 Old 12-31-2009, 02:48 PM

Finding a easy to use editor that does a good job of converting is getting frustrating. I tried vegas but just found it very tedious and difficult to do simple editing. TMPGEnc does a great job of converting but the editing portion of the program ia a serious cpu crippler and very basic in options. Thats with 8gb mem with Q6600 running Win 7. Nero is decent but lacks some editing options that I would like to have such as some cool effects.

XBL : FrccDirtyNeedlz
Elite Club of Awesomeness
post #286 of 817 Old 12-31-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchchowder View Post

Oh. I picked up a Manfrotto ModoSteady stabilization unit and love the versatility it offers. I simply twist the "tail" with the weights in it to the right a little bit to counterbalance the screen being flipped open. For under a hundred, this does a great job.
I am going to get the Jag35 (not sure which model yet) DOF adapter for film work. I'll add to that discussion as well.

Again, thanks!

So I just grabbed a modosteady and am trying to balance it with my 200. I figured out the twisting the counter-weight to the right thing however it seems like it moves around a bit much when doing side to side movements. Did you remove any of the counter weights like the directions suggest? I tried removing 2, but I still feel like something isn't quite right. I'm trying to decide if I should keep it or not.

Thanks
post #287 of 817 Old 12-31-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace27 View Post

The low light is watchable,however it just cant give justice to what it can do with the right lighting!!

Agreed.

The 200 is my first camera. After living with it for a few weeks I'm still satisfied with my purchase in spite of the low light weakness that's been talked about. The bottom line is that you really should take lighting into consideration if you plan on any indoor shooting.

Ultimately my goal is to achieve professional results. I'm still very green in the world of video, but I've learned that in order to get that stunning clarity that I keep envisioning, I'm going to have spend a whole lot more than the 5-6 hundred most of us have invested. The 200 however is a fantastic camera for the money and is the perfect piece of kit for me to hone my skills on.

I've posted a video showing an example of day and night ice skating footage shot with the HF200.
post #288 of 817 Old 01-01-2010, 10:25 AM

Thanks for taking the time to put this up, looks pretty good to me. Can I ask what settings you used in camera and what you edited it with, did you see big drop in quality once rendered and what you rendered it to.

I am new to all this and love the camcorder but am struggling with how best to edit avchd as it seems once you edit you loose quality, by how much appears to depend on the editor used and the final file format you use.

So far I have tried Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0, Corel VideoStudio 12, Cyberlink Powerdirector V8 and Elecard and all seem to incurbig quality hit once rendered except Elecard which seems to retain near original quality to my eyes at least, the only problem is Elecard only does basic cuts and at least on my pc has no sound when editing (although the sound is there in the final clip).
post #289 of 817 Old 01-01-2010, 11:50 AM

For the daytime, I shot at 60i and Tv (shutter priority mode) 1/500 maybe? The night shots I think I just used 60i with the night preset. I may have messed with the white balance (not in a good way). Thus explaining the yellowish tint.

Software wise, I'm on a mac with final cut pro. I can't help you much with the PC stuff however I've come across stellar postings with folks using vegas and whatnot. Just make sure your rendering settings are correct.

Even if it's HD, there's always a drop in quality once you post it to the tube.
post #290 of 817 Old 01-01-2010, 04:52 PM

Thanks for your response,

Yes of course there will be a drop in youtube footage but how does your clip look on good HD TV compared to the raw footage before you edited it.

Also what mode did you use mxp or fxp? I have found my low spec laptop stops dead in its tracks with 24Mbps footage so I guess I will need to look at a new pc soon, how does your mac cope with editing mxp footage.

BTW, your clip looks pretty smooth to me did you use your modosteady? I also like the blacks in the night shots did you make any colour adjustments when editing.
post #291 of 817 Old 01-01-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post

Finding a easy to use editor that does a good job of converting is getting frustrating. I tried vegas but just found it very tedious and difficult to do simple editing. TMPGEnc does a great job of converting but the editing portion of the program ia a serious cpu crippler and very basic in options. Thats with 8gb mem with Q6600 running Win 7. Nero is decent but lacks some editing options that I would like to have such as some cool effects.

I have also had problems running the trial versions of vegas and Corel VideoStudio 12 and neither run well on my laptop and both seem to produce very considerable drop in quality compared to the original footage shot in mxp mode.

I was just about to buy Cyberlink Powerdirector V8 as I am beginning to like this package and it runs really well on my low spec laptop but there are so many people on the forums slating it as rubbish that I am holding off at the moment. The trouble is it seems to be the only s/w that works well on my laptop and so far I have not had any of the problems others are complaining about so if anyone has any views on this package, particularly opinions based on personal experience rather than the usual “expert reviews” available on the web it would be much appreciated.

At the moment it is on Amazon for about £36

Edgecrusher: you might want to give the trial a go if you haven't don so already
post #292 of 817 Old 01-01-2010, 06:11 PM

Here is my first attempt at using the 200. Probably one of the toughest things to shoot, Christmas Lights. Aperture Priority 2.8, FXP, 24p. Vegas Studio Platinum.

It actually looks much better on my 65" rptv and 120" fptv.

Still got a lot of experimenting to do.

http://www.vimeo.com/8466712
post #293 of 817 Old 01-01-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iresq View Post

Here is my first attempt at using the 200. Probably one of the toughest things to shoot, Christmas Lights. Aperture Priority 2.8, FXP, 24p. Vegas Studio Platinum.

It actually looks much better on my 65" rptv and 120" fptv.

Still got a lot of experimenting to do.

http://www.vimeo.com/8466712

Genius! How was it done?
post #294 of 817 Old 01-01-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbake View Post

Also what mode did you use mxp or fxp? I have found my low spec laptop stops dead in its tracks with 24Mbps footage so I guess I will need to look at a new pc soon, how does your mac cope with editing mxp footage.

BTW, your clip looks pretty smooth to me did you use your modosteady? I also like the blacks in the night shots did you make any colour adjustments when editing.

I shoot with MXP (24 Mbps). I have a 2.33 Intel core dual mac book pro. 3GB RAM. Editing in final cut is smooth as long as the edits and f/x are simple. I can run 2 lanes of simultaneous video with no problems. If I start adding a bunch of complex filters and what have you, then the playback gets choppy. It gets the job done but I'll definitely have to upgrade at some point. Importing the mts files into final cut eats up drive space like nobodies business. I made the mistake of buying a usb external drive to work off of. It wasn't fast enough, and choked on even the simplest stuff.

I haven't shot anything with the modosteady yet. I'm still trying to get used to handling it. I probably should have tried it out on what I shot today. Here are the results. I shot this in P (program mode) between 30i and 60i frame rate.

I'll test out the modosteady tomorrow.
post #295 of 817 Old 01-02-2010, 12:02 PM

Nice video, thanks for the info looks like mac is the way to go.
post #296 of 817 Old 01-02-2010, 02:00 PM

I've been playing around with a trial version of Pinnacle Ultimate Studio 14 for the last few days based on the recommendations of a couple of members here. So far so good. I've only done one video, but haven't done anything with it yet. I have done a slideshow of a bunch of my photos complete with audio, transitions, and motion titles. Looks good. I want to burn it now to a disc, but was wondering if I should use a CD or DVD. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, what would the quality difference be , if any, between the two?

Kevin.
post #297 of 817 Old 01-02-2010, 02:10 PM

Hi. I recently bought a Canon HF20 and upgrade my computer to an i5-750 processor.

specs are here.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0134698&catid=

Fr around $100 more, i was wondering if it was worth upgrading to an i7-860 machine here with an extra 2 GB of RAM? (less wireless)

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/...oR9v8ZLCG5kDZA

or is the i7-860 an overkill for AVCHD editting and DSLR photo editting or should i save my 100 bucks? the i7 system comes with a ATI Radeon HD 4350 512 mb video card while the i5-750 comes with a 4650 1GB card. is this video card good enough for AVCHD editting? or should i upgrade to a 1 GB card?

Any help would be great. Thanks
post #298 of 817 Old 01-02-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg82 View Post

Hey everyone. What is the best way to burn a edited movie AVCHD style to dvd. i purchased a sony burner and was also reading about the canon dw-100 burner, that those only burn discs directly from the camcorder itself. is this true? what are you all using out there to burn AVCHD after editing?

good question, i'm still tinkering around. Adobe Premiere elements sucks, at least on my computer, i am also trying this http://www.avchduser.com/articles/avchd_to_bluray.jsp

for archiving to disc, but have not tested it yet.

you can always convert to mpeg and burn DVD's with Windows media center.
post #299 of 817 Old 01-02-2010, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post

I've been using multiAVCHD and Videostudio 12. Both work well on my lowly E6600 C2Duo. I've output to DVD & blu-ray, and while the process takes a while, the results have been great.

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #300 of 817 Old 01-02-2010, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr-Sog View Post

So talk me out of it lol. There has to be way more advantages to owning a dedicated device then a hybrid device. I'll say this, even at a Nikon forum I belong to, In a thread I read a month ago(which helped my initial decision)nearly everyone recommended just getting a standalone device over the camera hybrid. So something must be there.

I hear you. I'm still debating the Canon 7D myself, although I'm mostly waiting to see if Canon issues any firmware fixes to help combat a number of problems owners are experiencing. Then again, the big camera trade show PMA is in the next month, so we'll see if anything new is announced then.

The reason why everyone suggests that a dedicated video cam is the way to go is because it doesn't require all the nursing that a DSLR does. With a video cam, one can just push a button and start recording, with very little else to worry about. With a DSLR, one has to avoid quick panning or they get the rolling shutter effect, and most of the great videos you'll see from a DSLR are from a tripod mount, etc. I know that for myself, any kind of recording time limitation is fine. I rarely shoot longer than about 3 minutes, although I end up with hundreds of clips that have to be edited.

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page