Canon HF20 / HF200 Official Owner's Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 817 Old 03-18-2010, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OK, no answers on my post on microphones. I'm of the "can't answer what I don't know" branch myself. S'OK.

Here's something that anyone wanting to use a third party microphone on an HF200 (or other Canon cameras with proprietary Canon mini-shoes) might find useful. It's a mini-shoe to universal shoe adapter from DM-Accessories. Should make mounting a Rode, Azden, Sennheiser, etc. mic on the camera easier.

Hope that helps someone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 817 Old 03-22-2010, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Re:HF-200

Does anyone know how to display the time & date code while recording so that it appears on the out file?
Menu selections seem to only allow the T&D display in the initial 2 seconds of recording and only on the LCD display not on the output file.

I really need an answer!

Thanx
DW010
post #543 of 817 Old 03-22-2010, 07:10 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ.49er View Post

Does anyone have an answer to this question? I'm contemplating if I should just buy several SDHC cards and use that equivalent to a MiniDV tape. I'm just trying to find out how you guys do it when you want to play video to the HDTV without having to edit or burn to DVD.

You could transfer the video to a PS3 or external for viewing later on the PS3 if you own one.

PSN ID mitzman

post #544 of 817 Old 03-23-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ.49er View Post

Does anyone have an answer to this question? I'm contemplating if I should just buy several SDHC cards and use that equivalent to a MiniDV tape. I'm just trying to find out how you guys do it when you want to play video to the HDTV without having to edit or burn to DVD.

I believe you have to use the pixela software that came with the camcorder to backup and restore the files otherwise the camcorder won't see them when you put them back on the card. BTW I have found that I am able to play these files back on my low spec PC (2.00Ghz CPU) perfectly with the free Splash Lite player.
post #545 of 817 Old 03-24-2010, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

regarding external microphones..... It really bugs me that I would have to buy a $30 or more 'Adapter' in order to mount a mike on the camera...

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle
post #546 of 817 Old 03-25-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraniumShot View Post

HF20 not recognized. Hey, I just tried something and it worked!! I had been plugging my HF20 into the front USB ports of my computer and it was not recognizing it as a Drive. I plugged it into the back of my computer and it worked.

This also worked for me. I realised that the front USB ports are only USB 1.0 whereas the specs require that the camera be plugged into a USB 2.0 port (like those found on the back of your computer).
post #547 of 817 Old 03-25-2010, 04:50 PM

I've seen a few posts on this forum of time-lapse movies.

Can anyone tell me how to do it?
post #548 of 817 Old 03-25-2010, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan J View Post

regarding external microphones..... It really bugs me that I would have to buy a $30 or more 'Adapter' in order to mount a mike on the camera...

Talk to Canon -- the mini-shoe is proprietary. Or buy the Canon brand mic. Which is of course the point of the mini-shoe -- enforcing brand loyalty.

The adapter works well BTW. Turns the mini-shoe into a standard, if cold, shoe. Adorama sells it. Odd that B&H doesn't.
post #549 of 817 Old 03-26-2010, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscholl View Post

I've seen a few posts on this forum of time-lapse movies.

Can anyone tell me how to do it?

The easy way is to put your camera on a tripod, make sure it's on manual exposure, and hit record and leave it for a while. This is what I do and just speed up the movies in Final Cut Pro later.

The other way, like they do on DSLR's, uses an intervalumeter (sp) to control how often the camera takes a pic, and for how long it keeps doing so. Then you can just assemble those files in Quicktime.

\m/
post #550 of 817 Old 03-26-2010, 10:43 PM

Hey everyone. Took my first "long" video the other day (about 40 minutes) and noticed when I transferred to my hard drive that the camera had divided the video up into 3 different files. Then I had to go through the trouble of rejoining them on the computer before finally burning to disc. Is this a setting on the camera that can be turned off? Would like to save all recordings as one continuous file each. I do not like the fact that the camera splits the long recordings into multiple files.
Thanks for any input/suggestons.
post #551 of 817 Old 03-27-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post

OK, no answers on my post on microphones. I'm of the "can't answer what I don't know" branch myself. S'OK.

Here's something that anyone wanting to use a third party microphone on an HF200 (or other Canon cameras with proprietary Canon mini-shoes) might find useful. It's a mini-shoe to universal shoe adapter from DM-Accessories. Should make mounting a Rode, Azden, Sennheiser, etc. mic on the camera easier.

Hope that helps someone.

I just ordered an Audio-Technica microphone from BH Photo. I like it. My friend was about 200 feet away from me, and he came in loud and clear. You could barely see him in the frame he was so far away.

It doesn't fit in the hotshoe for the HF200 though, since that is proprietary and I guess Canon makes it that way on purpose. You will have to figure some other way of mounting in on the camera, maybe file the plastic mount down or something. Or get the adapter you mention above.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...8W_Camera.html
post #552 of 817 Old 03-27-2010, 11:33 AM

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I leave on a big kayak trip up the Inside Passage in a couple weeks with my HF200. I need an underwater housing for it, which is the WP-V1, but no one seems to have them in stock anymore. The newer version WP-V2 for the new round of HF camcorders (HF M300) is apparently out now but I don't know if it will fit the HF200. I have checked images of both cameras and they appear to be virtually identical externally. Can anyone confirm if my HF200 will fit in the new underwater case?
post #553 of 817 Old 03-27-2010, 02:50 PM

Dear Forum,

I am getting ready to jump into HD video.
I have found very good reviews for the HF20/200.
I have also found very good reviews for the HFS10/100

I have found the HF20 camera for around $449-499.
I have found the HFS10/100 for around $699.

The major differences between the two models are the Image Sensor and the Lenses.

Specs.

HF20/200
Image Sensor
1/4-inch CMOS, RGB Primary Color Filter
Total Pixels
Approx. 3.89 Megapixels
Effective Pixels
Video: Approx. 2.99 Megapixels
(2304 x 1296) / Still Image: 16:9: Approx. 2.99 Megapixels
(2304 x 1296), 4:3 Approx. 3.31 Megapixels (2100 x 1575)

HFS10/100
Image Sensor
1/2.6-inch CMOS, RGB Prmary Color Filter
Total Pixels
Approx. 8.59 Megapixels
Effective Pixels
Video: Approx. 6.01 Megapixels
(3264 x 1840) / Still Image: 16:9: Approx. 6.01 Megapixels
(3264 x 1840), 4:3 Approx. 8.02 Megapixels (3264 x 2456)

Lens: HF20/200
Zoom Ratio 15x Optical / 300x Digital
Focal Length f=4.1- 61.5mm (35mm equivalent: 39.5 - 592.5mm)
Zoom Speed Variable / 3 Fixed Zoom Speeds
Max. F/Stop f/1.8-3.2

Lens: HFS10/100
Zoom Ratio 10x Optical/200x Digital
Focal Length f=6.4- 64mm (35mm equivalent: 43.5 - 435mm)
Zoom Speed Variable / 3 Fixed Zoom Speeds
Max. F/Stop f/1.8-3.0

QUESTION 1:
Which of these two lenses is better?

QUESTION 2:
So the big question I have, is whether the differences in these features (sensor and lens) will produce a dramatic difference in the video quality?

I would appreciate any advice.
Thank you.
post #554 of 817 Old 03-27-2010, 02:54 PM

Oh yeah,
I am an artist and father.
I will be using this camera for home movies and possibly some amateur film-making.
post #555 of 817 Old 03-27-2010, 04:22 PM

I have the HF200 which I really like so far, although I've only used it a few times. It seems OK in low light but I haven't really tested it other than shooting in a thick forest. The HF S10 gets generally good reviews but some seem to not like its low light performance based on the reviews on BH Photo. If you are shooting inside then low light performance will be important. This is probably because it packs in way more megapixels into a not much bigger sensor, which decreases low light performance.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rToReadReviews

I don't use any of the bundled software, it is a real pain, almost useless. I just stick the SD card in the computer and make my way through the folders to get to the individual AVCHD raw files. Then you can open them in Windows Movie Maker for Windows 7 and convert them to whatever you want and do decent editing. I think it would be better to spend the money to upgrade to Windows 7 to get this (I don't know if Windows Movie Maker is available as a download for Vista?). If you are just doing general video for memories etc then this should be all you need. If you want to do more pro stuff then you will probably want better software.
post #556 of 817 Old 03-27-2010, 08:13 PM

Hi, I bought a HF200 earlier this year mostly to video my son. Works great for that. I also use the DM-100 external mic. Excellent sound quality, far better than the built-in mic, especially with the dead cat wind muff.

Lately, I've been using it for in-car moving video. The image stabilization software on board is really not very useful for the high-frequency movements inherent in filming inside a moving automobile. I've got the camera held by a StickyPod, but I suspect I will simply need to add more bracing points to better immobilize the camera.

In the meantime, is there any way to adjust the image stabilization for this situation??
post #557 of 817 Old 03-28-2010, 01:20 AM

Liked: 14
I installed the Pixela programs and was unable to get the ImageMixer to work. It crashed when I tried to import the video files. I reinstalled it, downloaded the latest upgrades - same thing. I gave up and I bought Nero 9. Managed to create a project and aborted it one hour into the burning after it re-estimated the remaining time to another 5 hours. I had it set to the best possible quality.
Then I tried to create an AVCHD disk by simply copying the BDMV directory. My BDP-320 player said that it could not play that disk. I presume it's because I did not have the CERTIFICATE directory. Does anyone know where that directory is supposed to come from? It does not exist on the memory card and the Nero Burning ROM program I used did not create one.

After losing a whole day on this I couldn't be more frustrated with my first HD camcorder experience. The camcorder is great, but my experience with the software has been horrible.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
post #558 of 817 Old 03-28-2010, 05:24 PM

I was extremely frustrated with my first AVCHD experience. Then I got Windows 7 and Windows Movie Maker will do all I need to. There is an option to burn to DVD. It won't burn as AVCHD but as .WMV if that matters to you.

Apparently you can download Movie Maker for Vista.

Pixela is useless, and in my opinion a blight on Canon's reputation that they would include this in their products and leave their customers hanging like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoker View Post

I installed the Pixela programs and was unable to get the ImageMixer to work. It crashed when I tried to import the video files. I reinstalled it, downloaded the latest upgrades - same thing. I gave up and I bought Nero 9. Managed to create a project and aborted it one hour into the burning after it re-estimated the remaining time to another 5 hours. I had it set to the best possible quality.
Then I tried to create an AVCHD disk by simply copying the BDMV directory. My BDP-320 player said that it could not play that disk. I presume it's because I did not have the CERTIFICATE directory. Does anyone know where that directory is supposed to come from? It does not exist on the memory card and the Nero Burning ROM program I used did not create one.

After losing a whole day on this I couldn't be more frustrated with my first HD camcorder experience. The camcorder is great, but my experience with the software has been horrible.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

post #559 of 817 Old 03-29-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromaroma View Post

I was extremely frustrated with my first AVCHD experience. Then I got Windows 7 and Windows Movie Maker will do all I need to. There is an option to burn to DVD. It won't burn as AVCHD but as .WMV if that matters to you.

Apparently you can download Movie Maker for Vista.

Pixela is useless, and in my opinion a blight on Canon's reputation that they would include this in their products and leave their customers hanging like that.

Well, I have only XP machines and I'm not sure my BDP-320 will play the WMV files.
post #560 of 817 Old 03-29-2010, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Well, I have only XP machines and I'm not sure my BDP-320 will play the WMV files.

Yes the BDP-320 supports WMV file formats and will be able to play it. So says my goggle fu:

https://www.mindlogic.com/BLURAY_PION_bdp-320_DTL.shtml

Not sure what the specs of your XP machine is but you may have to consider upgrading if you want faster processing times.
post #561 of 817 Old 04-02-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post

Yes the BDP-320 supports WMV file formats and will be able to play it. So says my goggle fu:

https://www.mindlogic.com/BLURAY_PION_bdp-320_DTL.shtml

Not sure what the specs of your XP machine is but you may have to consider upgrading if you want faster processing times.

I was able to make my first AVCHD DVD using the multiAVCHD software and IMGBurn. multiAVCHD required also avisynth to be installed. All programs are completely free and can do the job. You can set multiAVCHD to not transcode. I did two disks exploring the authoring software. For the first one I left the scenes as separate files, which caused the SW to make each one a title. I could see each title in the menu. I have not programmed the title +/- buttons on my remote and I had to go to the menu to skip. I did not produce a chapter menu since there were too many chapters. I made a static menu - it showed one frame per title over a semitransparent image from the video.

For the second disk I joined the files into one title and went through the chapter marks deleting those that were not essential. Created a motion menu with chapters. The menu background is again semitransparent and is showing snippets from the video. I have a chapter menu and one poster frame for the title, which I selected manually.

It took maybe 20 minutes to build and burn everything (4GB) on a netbook (1.6GHz Atom processor). It plays smoothly on my BDP-320 and I can see that the video bit rate is about 22-23MB/s.
post #562 of 817 Old 04-02-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:

I was able to make my first AVCHD DVD using the multiAVCHD software and IMGBurn. multiAVCHD required alo avisynth to be installed. All programs are completely free and can do the job. You can set multiAVCHD to not transcode. I did two disks exploring the authoring software. For the first one I left the scenes as separate files, which caused the SW to make each one a title. I could see each title in the menu. I have not programmed the title +/- buttons on my remote and I had to go to the menu to skip. I did not produce a chapter menu since there were too many chapters. I made a static menu - it showed one frame per title over a semitransparent image from the video.

For the second disk I joined the files into one title and went through the chapter marks deleting those that were not essential. Created a motion menu with chapters. The menu background is again semitransparent and is showing snippets from the video. I have a chapter menu and one poster frame for the title, which I selected manually.

It took maybe 20 minutes to build and burn everything (4GB) on a netbook (1.6GHz Atom processor). It plays smoothly on my BDP-320 and I can see that the video bit rate is about 22-23MB/s.

MultiAVCHD is an awesome program. Been using it for a couple of months since I got my hf200. I like the fact that it does not transcode, leaving the video untouched and beautiful. Makes good menus as well. I recommend this program to anyone wanting to archive or distribute their home videos on AVCHD discs. And the best thing about it is that it is free!
post #563 of 817 Old 04-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hey everyone-

I feel sort of dumb asking this, but where is the "underwater mode" setting in the HF20. I have the WP-V1, and in every review it mentions this mode. I've spent endless times just searching through the menus and I haven't been able to find it.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #564 of 817 Old 04-07-2010, 08:30 AM

post #565 of 817 Old 04-09-2010, 08:34 AM

I have a Canon VIXIA HF200 and am using Corel Videostudio Pro x3. Some times I will have problems with individual clips (mts files). The video looks fine while editing, but when I export the file to HDV 1080i - 60i (for PC) certain clips will just freeze frame. The only way I can get the video to export correctly is to delete the offending clips. The last video I did had about 25 clips and 3-4 needed deleted for the file to export correctly.

Am I doing something wrong? Can videos become "corrupted" during filming, transferring, exporting?

I just got the camera and this is the second video I edited, both baseball games, lots of little clips. And both times I had "bad clips" I needed to delete.
post #566 of 817 Old 04-09-2010, 02:39 PM

What happens when you play the clip by itself in a separate media player? Does it freeze up at the same spot?

If not, you might want to check if Corel has any software updates available. It sounds like VideoStudio's decoder might be a bit flaky.
post #567 of 817 Old 04-10-2010, 05:56 PM

i am a current owner of a HF200 and i want to post a video i made with it for you guys but in order to post a URL i have to post at least 3 times first so here is my first post...
post #568 of 817 Old 04-10-2010, 06:03 PM

well as long as i have to make 3 posts before i can show you guys my video i will try to say something usefull i have learned. i am using this camera to make internet videos and currently no online players support interlace video formats. if you upload something in an interlace format it will deinterlace it for you when it converts it. you will always loose quality when your video is deinterlaced. so if you are shooting for upload and want your highest quality setting use 30p.

~Doug
post #569 of 817 Old 04-10-2010, 06:06 PM

for sony vegas pro users, pro 9 is able to use the 30p (60i) files in a progressive timeline and will export them progressive without deinterlace. it effectively does the pulldown for you! it has issues with the 24p (60i) and will give you interlace artifacts if you export as progressive with out any deinterlaceing.
post #570 of 817 Old 04-10-2010, 06:07 PM

here is a video of a hour or so walk on a sunny afternoon with the hf200. it was edited in sony vegas on a C2D e8400 4gbram. all footage was shot in 30p mode @ 24mbps.

watch in HD if you can =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e42Pb0YeOY
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page